Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 12-06-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,945 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hillary Clinton speaks at the UN regarding LGBT human rights

If you are like me, this video will make you cry and make you proud.
It's 30 minutes long.

I don't know how to imbed this video here, so I have included a link.
I finally got it figured out how to do youtube videos but don't know how to do other videos, so would someone please stick it on here for me - and if you drop me a note about how to do it myself, I would really appreciate it.

Smooches,
Keri
http://maddowblog.mswnbc.msn.com/
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

Here's a link to a written transcript of the speech.
Smooches,
Keri

http://www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2011/12/178368.htm

Here's a short sample:

... Today, I want to talk about the work we have left to do to protect one group of people whose human rights are still denied in too many parts of the world today. In many ways, they are an invisible minority. They are arrested, beaten, terrorized, even executed. Many are treated with contempt and violence by their fellow citizens while authorities empowered to protect them look the other way or, too often, even join in the abuse. They are denied opportunities to work and learn, driven from their homes and countries, and forced to suppress or deny who they are to protect themselves from harm.

I am talking about gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people, human beings born free and given bestowed equality and dignity, who have a right to claim that, which is now one of the remaining human rights challenges of our time. I speak about this subject knowing that my own country's record on human rights for gay people is far from perfect. Until 2003, it was still a crime in parts of our country. Many LGBT Americans have endured violence and harassment in their own lives, and for some, including many young people, bullying and exclusion are daily experiences. So we, like all nations, have more work to do to protect human rights at home.

Now, raising this issue, I know, is sensitive for many people and that the obstacles standing in the way of protecting the human rights of LGBT people rest on deeply held personal, political, cultural, and religious beliefs. So I come here before you with respect, understanding, and humility. Even though progress on this front is not easy, we cannot delay acting. So in that spirit, I want to talk about the difficult and important issues we must address together to reach a global consensus that recognizes the human rights of LGBT citizens everywhere.

The first issue goes to the heart of the matter. Some have suggested that gay rights and human rights are separate and distinct; but, in fact, they are one and the same. Now, of course, 60 years ago, the governments that drafted and passed the Universal Declaration of Human Rights were not thinking about how it applied to the LGBT community. They also weren’t thinking about how it applied to indigenous people or children or people with disabilities or other marginalized groups. Yet in the past 60 years, we have come to recognize that members of these groups are entitled to the full measure of dignity and rights, because, like all people, they share a common humanity.

This recognition did not occur all at once. It evolved over time. And as it did, we understood that we were honoring rights that people always had, rather than creating new or special rights for them. Like being a woman, like being a racial, religious, tribal, or ethnic minority, being LGBT does not make you less human. And that is why gay rights are human rights, and human rights are gay rights.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkeri1 View Post
If you are like me, this video will make you cry and make you proud.
It's 30 minutes long.

I don't know how to imbed this video here, so I have included a link.
I finally got it figured out how to do youtube videos but don't know how to do other videos, so would someone please stick it on here for me - and if you drop me a note about how to do it myself, I would really appreciate it.

Smooches,
Keri
http://maddowblog.mswnbc.msn.com/
This is the first time LGBT rights as Human Rights have been addressed by a Secretary of State- ever. Yes, history has been made! thanks, Keri for posting this. I do admire Hillary Clinton very much and feel she has been one of our most effective people in this position, earning respect of many world leaders- especially those George W alienated.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #4
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,937 Times in 4,705 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

This is an extraordinary speech! We must take the 30 minutes to listen to it.

Share it everywhere folks, this is a game-changing speech, it is being compared to the likes of "I had a Dream".

UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I love Hillary. I don't care what some people say. She knows how to play the game, position herself politically and her timing impeccable.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you for starting this thread and bringing this to greater attention, Iamkeri1. I had better luck with this link. The speech is groundbreaking and so worth the time -

http://bcove.me/qs3211sh
SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,617 Times in 1,559 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

I agree it is groundbreaking.
And I agree it is a wonderful speech.

I just wish it was delivered to our own legislators & policy makers. To our own judges.
And our own immigration officials (who deny LGBT asylum seekers every single day).

I wish our highest elected & appointed officials could see the poignancy (& hypocrisy) of this address.
And I wish they were so inspired to do something about it *here* in the United States.

I hope it goes without saying that I am beyond thrilled that the US is committing resources aimed at establishing basic human rights for LGBT people in other parts of the world.

I just feel a huge amount of "physician heal thyself" given our current, particularly virulent & homophobic, political culture.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,937 Times in 4,705 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

<…snip…Now, there is still, as you all know, much more to be done to secure that commitment, that reality, and progress for all people. Today, I want to talk about the work we have left to do to protect one group of people whose human rights are still denied in too many parts of the world today. In many ways, they are an invisible minority. They are arrested, beaten, terrorized, even executed. Many are treated with contempt and violence by their fellow citizens while authorities empowered to protect them look the other way or, too often, even join in the abuse. They are denied opportunities to work and learn, driven from their homes and countries, and forced to suppress or deny who they are to protect themselves from harm.

I am talking about gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people, human beings born free and given bestowed equality and dignity, who have a right to claim that, which is now one of the remaining human rights challenges of our time. I speak about this subject knowing that my own country's record on human rights for gay people is far from perfect. Until 2003, it was still a crime in parts of our country. Many LGBT Americans have endured violence and harassment in their own lives, and for some, including many young people, bullying and exclusion are daily experiences. So we, like all nations, have more work to do to protect human rights at home…snip…>

It is my opinion, perhaps different due to my location and international view of the world, that by giving this speech in a world stage, Hillary Clinton and the Obama Administration have set the bar at home. It is now expected that those local politicians, courts, etc to do the work at home because the world is watching.

The words I highlighted above are a perfect example of how aware the Administration is of its flaws and how much work needs to be done at home, but it is a step, and at huge one at that, in my opinion.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #9
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,617 Times in 1,559 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

I do agree that Clinton recognizes discrimination in US society and acknowledges that we have more "work to do at home".

AND I would like to hear the Obama administration direct this speech to US lawmakers, judges and immigration officials and other law enforcers. An address like this delivered directly to those constituencies would be an enormous leap indeed.
(rather than the coy, tip-toeing around queer issues that becomes more and more pronounced as a general election approaches)

I think these are incredibly fine words, I'd just like to see the Administration be so bold as to lead by example while aiming to inspire the international community.

The US government's *actions* need to be in sync with it's words if it wishes to be respected and to truly have an impact on laws and policies of other countries. And right now, that is not the case.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:52 AM   #10
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,238 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

hillary clinton is great speech writer. i noticed this several years ago, before secretary of state. a speech she did in another country about women's rights. she goes for the heart.

coretta scott king stood up for lgbt human rights too.

Source: Chicago Tribune, April 1, 1998, sec.2, p.4.
"For many years now, I have been an outspoken supporter of civil and human rights for gay and lesbian people," King said at the 25th Anniversary Luncheon for the Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund.... "Gays and lesbians stood up for civil rights in Montgomery, Selma, in Albany, Ga. and St. Augustine, Fla., and many other campaigns of the Civil Rights Movement," she said. "Many of these courageous men and women were fighting for my freedom at a time when they could find few voices for their own, and I salute their contributions." - Chicago Tribune, April 1, 1998, sec.2, p.4.

hillary clinton and coretta scott king make me proud. and i want to thank them many times over.

thank you, keri, for posting.
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #11
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Angry

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908...show/#45607221

This link is to msnbc - the clip from Rachel Maddow today about Ms Clinton. The part about Malawi is just over half way in to the video. It sucks, but you have to watch a commercial first.

Hillary Clinton's speech has already had positive effect. The country of Malawi in southeast Africa today announced that in light of chaniging world opinion, they would review their harsh attitude toward homosexuality. Harsh is putting it mildly!

In early 2010, a gay male couple was sentenced to 14 year hard labor when their engagement/marriage became public knowledge. Some mnoths later, following visits to Malawi president Mutharika by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, the men were granted a pardon, "not because they weren't guilty, but for humanitarian reasons."

Hillary you ROCK!

Smooches,
Keri
The Following User Says Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post: