Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2011, 10:53 AM   #28
sylvie

How Do You Identify?:
Mr Mtn's babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
girly, she
Relationship Status:
fiercely protected ♥

Thanked 7,501 Times in 1,850 Posts
sylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputationsylvie Has the BEST Reputation

i forgot to come & post here, about my Dr Appt..
As i mentioned my doctor is out for a couple of weeks and a different doctor in the clinic is seeing her patients .. i've seen her before when my doctor was out and she's really got a good bedside manner, unlike my own doctor..

When she came in, she immediately sat down and just looked at me and smiled.. Then asked what was up? If it was my own doctor, she comes in the door, shuts it and hangs on to the door knob, ready to walk back out again.. She's always stressed and impatient, it bothers me... So, when she sat down, that let me know she was willing to listen..

i explained to her what struggles i've had finding some counselling.. That i had 4 sessions through EAP (employee assistance program) through work but they only offer short term (the 4 sessions a year).. That they sent me to Mental Health, and after doing an intake with them, they said they had nothing to offer to me for eating disorders in the form of counselling, but they could offer a course on stress, proper breathing techniques, etc.. i explained that while having OA meetings i can go to, and using some of the tools i do daily, a big part of me knows i need that counselling, because the 4 sessions i had at the beginning of the year (although they werent focused on my eating disorder) were so helpful..

She said the only option i had was one place, which offers counselling for a price, and i explained that's where i was in a pickle.. While i can pay some, the prices were far too much for me, i have 2 teenagers, and one income.. She completely understood, and wrote me a referral, asking for a reduced rate, and said having a referral might also help me get some counselling through my health plan at work.. She also asked questions to find out where i am at right now with it all, my history of it and offered some comforting words... Also said to contact her if the referral didnt get me someplace, and we'd try and figure something else out..

As soon as i got home, i made the phonecall to the place she suggested.. They said no, they do not accept doctor's referrals and wanted to know why my doctor would do such a thing.. So i explained the financial difficulty, as well as why i needed counselling, and the daily struggles i have ... Suddenly, she switched gears and offered me a few sessions free, and then reduced the rate to half price, 40 dollars a session, and rather than weekly, we'll do appointments bi-weekly.. i can handle that, i'll find a way because i know i need this, and 2 appts a month is more than i get now.. i thanked her so, so much...

Also, i went to work that evening, and went to Human Resources and found out my work will offer up to 500 dollars in a 12 month period towards counselling WITH a doctor referral.. lovely, so, i did the math (and have to do so with full priced sessions i'm thinking) which will give me 6 more covered sessions before i have to start paying the reduced rate..

So, i'm so happy for this, i know i need this and i know good things come from counselling.. my first appointment is on Dec 13 ...

Lastly, the doctor also offered medication as a last resort, to help with the urges to binge & purge.. it cuts the appetite down as well.. Has anyone here had to use medication? i am trying to be open to it.. However, i get really obsessive also about putting medications into me.. i am petit mal epileptic and continually take myself off medication and work on my health naturally, and years ago i was put on depression medication and did the same thing.. And sadly, did the same with high blood pressure medication the first time i was put on it some time ago.. (i was put back on it, and took it faithfully until she told me i didn't have to anymore.. ) So, taking medication scares me, but as i said i am trying to be open to the possibility of it.. She asked me to take the names of the medication home and research them - get some comfort with what they can offer, and to try counselling for a few sessions and see how that goes first..

Lots of moving forward, i wish i could adopt this doctor as my own.. She cares!

my facebook weight loss page:
http://www.facebook.com/asyllyjourney
sylvie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sylvie For This Useful Post:

Tags
binge, bulemia, eating disorders, food addictions, purge