Lynn

How Do You Identify?:
Unabashed Feminine Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her, She
Relationship Status:
Married!

Thanked 2,416 Times in 504 Posts
Lynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST ReputationLynn Has the BEST Reputation

In 1979, I was fired from a job at a taco joint (not Taco Bell) because I refused the advances of the boss one too many times. He would try to grab my butt and I finally told him, outright, to stop. Idiot. The next day, I came in and my time card was missing and I was told they no longer needed me. The sad thing is that I was the one who was so embarrassed that I could barely look at them. I felt ashamed, even though I knew I did nothing wrong.

I'm sorry for what happened to this girl--and to many others, still, no doubt. I'm glad it's being called out and publicized, and not impressed at all with Starbucks right now. Damn.
that love costs all we are
and will ever be.
Yet it is only love
which sets us free.

Maya Angelou

Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #22
kannon

How Do You Identify?:
bloke
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Happy is the heart that believes in angels

Thanked 2,067 Times in 584 Posts
kannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputationkannon Has the BEST Reputation

I'm amazed that some people don't realize the following is sexual harassment:

Unintentional - Acts or comments of a sexual nature, not intended to harass, can constitute sexual harassment if another person feels uncomfortable with such subjects.
kannon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kannon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #23
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,109 Times in 3,757 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
It is a real story. Horton is still a common family name and they may or may not be aware of the famous franchise to the north (given it's in California).

I do think that the corporation should have taken a way different stance on this given that she is stating that she was NOT interested or involved with supervisor. Their message is suggesting, IMO, that even if you were forced to participate (at fear of losing job, friends, etc.) then you were "agreeing". And that, plain and simple, is wrong. I hope they get their asses served on a platter.
I was going though a lot last year when this thread was started...I missed it.
Does anyone have/know of an update?
Did they get their asses served on a platter?
This kind of thing ENRAGES me, not just because of the injustice of it all, but because they are re-victimizing the victim!! and I also suffered something similar. It hits home and I know what it's like to not be protected from the assault (the Vice President would tell me that I needed to "look past" the perpetrator's angry outbursts and sexual advances because "he has a lot on his mind as a Project Manager and he's under a lot of stress") , not having the funds to hire a lawyer, not knowing there were federal laws that could have protected me after the State of Virigina told me they "didn't have a law about unlawful termination" and that I was SOL...and I also felt ashamed that I lost my job....when none of it was my fault that a Project Manager (who ended up being a "silent partner" in the company) harassed me for 8 months (telling me I "needed a real man") and tried to lock me in a storage room and assault me, then have me fired 3 days later.

I am so glad I was never a Starbucks fan (Hawaiian Isles Kona addict here)... but I will certainly never buy another gift card from them to give to friends.
How they treated this girl really makes me sick.
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #24
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,109 Times in 3,757 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation
Default found it!!

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/Teen/s...ry?id=10827639

By VIC WALTER and MEGAN CHUCHMACH
June 4, 2010

Just weeks before a harassment lawsuit was set to go to trial, coffee giant Starbucks has settled out of court for an undisclosed amount with a young woman who said the company failed to protect her from almost daily demands for sex by a store manager.

Kati Moore, now 20, says the demands began when she was 16 years old working as a barista in California. She claimed 24-year-old supervisor Tim Horton would summon her for sex in hundreds of text messages, including one that said, "I'd like to f--- tomorrow."

Neither Moore nor Starbucks would discuss the terms of the deal or whether the company would create a policy for protecting teenage employees from sexual harassment, as Moore had wanted.

Moore's case was featured in a "20/20" investigation into the sexual harassment of teens in the workplace that aired in January. The "20/20" report also included other alleged cases of sexual harassment of teen workers at such popular chains as McDonald's and Taco Bell. One in three high school students reported unwanted sexual advances in the workplace, according to a study in Maine.
Photo: Woman Claims Starbucks Supervisor Pressured Her Into Sex
ABC News
Moore tells ABC News she felt pressured to have sex with her supervisor at Starbucks. Watch 20/20 for the full story.

CLICK HERE TO WATCH PART 1 OF THE '20/20' REPORT

CLICK HERE TO WATCH PART 2 OF THE '20/20' REPORT

Sexual harassment expert Susan Strauss, who was interviewed as part of the original "20/20" investigation, said she is happy for Moore "that she doesn't have to go through re-victimization on the witness stand in a courtroom."

Moore previously claimed other Starbucks supervisors and managers knew what was happening but did nothing to stop the illicit relationship.

Moore's mother alerted prosecutors after learning of the relationship. Horton claimed he did not know Moore was 16. He pleaded guilty to a felony charge of illegal sex with a minor and served four months in prison.

At the time of the "20/20" report, Starbucks released a statement that said, "These two employees concealed their relationship from Starbucks, which violated company policy. We are confident that the case will ultimately be resolved in finding that Starbucks is not at fault."

Starbucks says it does have a strict policy against sexual harassment and managers dating baristas, but there is nothing specific in its policies regarding relationships with teens under the age of 18.

What happened to Moore is not uncommon, experts told ABC News. The problem is especially prevalent in fast food restaurants where so many teenagers have their first jobs, said Dr. Strauss.

"They're vulnerable, they're young, they're new to the workforce," said Strauss.
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #25
Strappie

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I know who I am... Doesn't matter
Relationship Status:
It's a new day....

Thanked 4,946 Times in 1,350 Posts
Strappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST ReputationStrappie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My Niece at the age of 16 was sexually harrassed by her boss at a major Shopping Center (I will not name the Center) Needless to say She told her mom and dad about it. They of course listened but let her handle it till it became out of hand. She liked working there but was so terrified of her boss. One night leaving work she had a note on her car... Saying I'm watching you... She immediately called Home and her dad drove out there (it's a town of about 20,000 so most people for the most part know each other) and followed her home. On every night shift she would have family either pick her up or follow her. The next day her mom made her go into work and tell the manager, which happened to be a guy, but she also told her to call the HR person and bring her with her. My sister wanted her to stand up for herself and take charge and of course my sister would go in if there was a second meeting needed. Needless to say.. This manager had touched her on several occasions saying highly inappropriate things to her while working. They eventually fired him, not until after they caught him on camera putting a note on her car. She had saved all the "notes" that were left on her car and copied them and gave the copies to the HR department and the police because now they were involved.

It's a Damn sad thing. She was 16 and the guy was in his 40's. Sick bastards to threaten and get away with this sort of stuff.
Strappie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strappie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #26
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
I'm amazed that some people don't realize the following is sexual harassment:

Unintentional - Acts or comments of a sexual nature, not intended to harass, can constitute sexual harassment if another person feels uncomfortable with such subjects.
I have certainly felt uncomfortable harassed in a sexual manner due to comments- and not just when I was younger. And we know that many people not only are subjected to comments, but actions.

I can see where young employees are very vulnerable within these kinds of jobs. Often, teens really just don't know what to do to stop this stuff and really don't have much peer support in doing so. Plus, there are people that minimize other people's discomfort based upon their own non-discomfort. We all have different sensitivities.

This kind of reminds me of when someone is driving like an ass and a passenger is scared and asked that they stop. They don't, laugh and continue to drive in a way that scares the other person. When someone says- "That is scaring me or I don't care to hear that"- it ought to be stopped. Not fodder for teasing or making a judgment about the person. Even if I don’t understand why someone else is uncomfortable with something I am saying, I need to just honor their request. I don’t have to have the same take on it. That isn’t the point.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: