Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Bad_boi

How Do You Identify?:
Transman (male)
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His ect.
Relationship Status:
Handsome bastard.

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,824 Times in 499 Posts
Bad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Afraid of freeways?

About two years ago I was in an accident. No one was seriously hurt but it was really scary.

I am afraid to ride in a car on the freeway. (I'm a passenger, I never have driven a car) Every time I try I end up having to just take the next exit because I panic so bad. The only time I get on the freeways is when I am on a bus. I can deal with bus/walking/non freeway riding. It is really bothering me because I can't go a lot of places or meet up with alot of my friends. IDK what to do anymore.
Bad_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bad_boi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad_boi View Post
About two years ago I was in an accident. No one was seriously hurt but it was really scary.

I am afraid to ride in a car on the freeway. (I'm a passenger, I never have driven a car) Every time I try I end up having to just take the next exit because I panic so bad. The only time I get on the freeways is when I am on a bus. I can deal with bus/walking/non freeway riding. It is really bothering me because I can't go a lot of places or meet up with alot of my friends. IDK what to do anymore.
Um, yeah.
I am going to Tunica tomorrow with my Dad and Pappy and I am already a little skittish about driving on the freeway. My Dad is driving which makes it worse, I do better when I am the one doing the driving but I still feel a little panicky.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:27 PM   #3
adorable

How Do You Identify?:
Sarcastically
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,645 Times in 590 Posts
adorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputationadorable Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

There is only one place that has every felt really scary to me and that is the godforsaken Pennsylvania Turnpike. O-M-G
It is awful, narrow and has big concrete barriers on one side - a hill with no shoulder on the other....and people like to do 95 mph. There is NO room for error. I trust me, it's the other people I have a problem with...
adorable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

I am amazed at the young people who don't drive. My daughter is 32 and has never driven and my son didn't drive until he was 26. I got my license when I was 15 and would have died without my license, and still would.

That said as a youngster I loved going fast. I had a '67 Firebird and fast was my middle name. Now in my old age I have to make myself keep up to speed on the highway and rarely do I ride with anyone except I do trust Mom not to hurt me LOL. Badboi I don't like interstates either to many people going to fast and ya can't watch out for everyone. I hate stop lights too, I will go around "Robinhood's Barn" to avoid a stop light.

I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe go to sleep and wake up when ya get there.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

I don't like driving in anymore than 3 lanes. It has something to do with movement on both sides of me. If I drive in more than 4 lanes, I like moving all the way to far left lane(if I am not expecting a right exit soon) or all the way right, so traffic is only moving on one side of me. Weird.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Bad Boi,

I hear you. I was involved in 2 rear end collisions in the same year. I had a mild post traumatic stress reaction which made driving in traffic difficult, especially if someone was tailgating me.

It took some time and meditation and relaxation techniques to get me relatively comfortable again. Now, when I have to drive in traffic, I picture my car surrounded by a protective bubble. Its weird but it works.

I will still pull to the side of the road if possible if someone is tailgating me tho.

Quote:

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2010, 05:15 PM   #7
Outlaw

How Do You Identify?:
Cocksure
Preferred Pronoun?:
Cotton Candy Swami
Relationship Status:
Loved and Loving

Outlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST ReputationOutlaw Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
IDK what to do anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
but I still feel a little panicky.

I would encourage you to look into "Thought Field Therapy" which is also known as "Meridian Tapping"

The therapy is based in/derived from the same premise as acupuncture and involves tapping (often following a specific sequence/algorithm) on meridian points on the body and ultimately balance your own qi (energy flow)

You can always find info online, but here is a good place to start: TFT

Here is a great book by psychologist who developed TFT: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Tapping-Healer-Within-Thought-Field-Instantly/dp/0809298805"]Tapping the Healer Within : Using Thought-Field Therapy to Instantly Conquer Your Fears, Anxieties, and Emotional Distress[/ame]

and here is a video clip of Whoopi Goldberg using TFT to address her fear of flying

Old 06-02-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
fiercegrrl
In Memory Of

How Do You Identify?:
fierce femme grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
beautiful, pumpkin, princess, sweet pea, babygirl
Relationship Status:
i don't think it's in the stars for me.

fiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorable View Post
There is only one place that has every felt really scary to me and that is the godforsaken Pennsylvania Turnpike. O-M-G
It is awful, narrow and has big concrete barriers on one side - a hill with no shoulder on the other....and people like to do 95 mph. There is NO room for error. I trust me, it's the other people I have a problem with...
I saw a momma goose and her little yellow chicks get run over on the pennsylvania turnpike. they had safely made it all the way to that concrete barrier but couldn't get back. it's still one of the saddest moments of my life. poor little things.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:34 PM   #9
betenoire

How Do You Identify?:
Satan in a Sunday Hat
Preferred Pronoun?:
Maow
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,742 Times in 2,566 Posts
betenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputationbetenoire Has the BEST Reputation

I don't have any advice for you or anything, but I did want to let you know that I get it.

I have no idea what triggered this for me (I used to be fine) but about 2 years ago I developed a really horrible fear of being in a car. Like you I am a passenger (I sold my car like 8 years ago or something, I like to take the bus - and being on the bus does not frighten me) and my fear/reactions have gotten to the point where it is distracting to the driver. I do a great deal of gasping, clutching at the "holy shit handle", tensing up and bracing myself...and that's just in normal in-town traffic. If on the freeway for any more than 30 minutes at a time it is a guarantee that I will burst into tears.

I tend to focus on another vehicle while I'm in a moving car...and almost identify it as the "enemy" vehicle. I'm always convinced that the enemy vehicle is going to cause the vehicle that I'm in to be in an accident. My panic gets worse and worse the longer the enemy vehicle is in view - I calm down as soon as that vehicle turns onto another road or off of the highway....until a new vehicle becomes the enemy. It's INCREDIBLY stressful and I, like you, am at a loss as to what I should do to fix this problem.

(I don't suggest this, cuz it's actually a really shitty way of dealing with problems...but I often get drunk before leaving on any trip that will take more than half an hour. Especially if that trip will take us on the freeway.)

I'm pretty interested to see the responses here.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #10
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

The highways and freeways I am fine with, even though I got into a horrible accident and totalled my car on the FL Turnpike a few years ago.

The one accident that still brings up the willies for me was at a stop light in a small town. I was stopped and about 4 cars back from the light when a black Mustang failed to stop and smacked into me. Though I wasn't hurt, I was shaken badly and my stomach would clench into tight knots whenever I would see a car coming at me in my rearview mirror because the scene would replay for me over and over. I still occasionally get a queasy feeling when I see a car approaching me in the mirror and it feels like they are coming at me too fast.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #11
Bad_boi

How Do You Identify?:
Transman (male)
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His ect.
Relationship Status:
Handsome bastard.

Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,824 Times in 499 Posts
Bad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST ReputationBad_boi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post

(I don't suggest this, cuz it's actually a really shitty way of dealing with problems...but I often get drunk before leaving on any trip that will take more than half an hour. Especially if that trip will take us on the freeway.)

I'm pretty interested to see the responses here.
If I did get drunk I'd be too goofy and need to pee every 5 minutes lol.

No sence in driving on the freeway if we'd need to pull over at every tree.
Bad_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I understand. Very well.
I was in a very bad car accident 2 years ago, as well.
My emotional recovery took much longer than my physical.

The majority of the coping skills and techniques I've acquired enable me to drive, rather than be a passenger. I'm rarely a passenger. But...when I am these are some of the things that help:

First, I let the driver know about my anxiety and the ways in which I deal with it. And that I am not a great conversationalist in the car because of my anxiety.

I find I do much better if I sit in the back seat.

I always have water with me, I consciously remind myself to keep drinking it.
I remind myself to breathe. Consciously remind myself, whenever I feel panic rising.
I find things to distract myself - I read maps or books - or listen to NPR - something that engages my mind.
And when my anxiety level decreases, I try to lay my head back and close my eyes. I can't sleep in the car, I'm never relaxed enough for that now; but I can usually get to a point where I can rest with my eyes closed, listening to music with earphones helps when I am at this point.

If you have access to health insurance and it covers behavioural health, I would strongly recommend you find a therapist who specializes in EMDR (resource link below).

I have a therapist friend who specializes in EMDR, and one session helped to bring my daily anxiety down to a level that I was able to better cope with regular highway driving. I would love to go through the complete process.

http://www.emdrnetwork.org/
Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparkle For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #13
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

I get super panicky on highways.

I don't know when exactly it started but for the longest time have felt that something really bad WILL happen on the road to me.

I did get into an accident (everyone was fine) in Sydney, Aus in 2005 due to a major sun glare that blinded my vision, but I had a dread of driving before then.

It was a messed up and long commute; I never drove again there and actually enjoyed their extensive public transit.

My commute now is barely anything, and I hate hate when I have to drive on a highway for something (to the airport mostly).

When we go away, Daniel always drives and, even though he is a SUPERB driver, I get moments of pure panic.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #14
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,621 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

its not just PA turnpikes. I was sitting at a red light in a rural suburban area in NW PA and a semi backed up on my car and then when we pulled over to exchange info, got too close and ran his trailer up over the back of my car...blew out my tires and my windows. I had PTSD about driving in general for a long time but it wasnt freeway driving. It was red lights with trucks around me.

there is some kind of therapy that was done on me, using a wand that was vibrated quickly in front of my eyes, like a hypnosis kind of thing, that helped release most of the trauma.

but time....and pushing thru the fear...was the real way I got over it
The Following User Says Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #15
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Funny you bring this up. I was 16, working late night at the drive-in (shows you how old I am) and on my way home one night a "friend"/co-worker cut me off in the fast lane on the 101.... This was back when it wasn't a parking lot..... I did 2 360's and ended up on the shoulder facing the way I had originally started out. I sat and shook for about a half hour. Put it in drive and went home, the back route the exit I could do so. It took me a few days to get over that, but it's like riding your bike, yer gonna fall, get up dust yourself off and get back on. The only way to face fear is head on.
I hope this helps you.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #16
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

I was in a nasty car accident 31 years ago; one night, a drunk driver left his lane and hit the car I was a passenger in. Being right behind the driver, my Father, I could see what was happening, and was helpless to do anything about it. I spent some time in the hospital—not how I wanted to spend my Christmas break. I did seek help from a therapist, because I did not want to drive at all, at first, and as a result, I gave myself permission to not drive at night, for about six months. I no longer have panic attacks, although if it looks like someone is driving toward me, in my lane, it does give me a start, and I think that is normal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #17
Boots13

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No

Thanked 2,315 Times in 428 Posts
Boots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I just wanted to say that your stress is completely understandable and may take some time to work through. It took me a while after being rear ended on my motorcycle.
I also see you're in the Seattle area and can vouch for our transit system. It may take some practice and a little research, but if you are near light rail, bus stops or the water ( Ferry's) you can piece together your trip in no time flat.
Metro may take the spontaneity out of getting places, but with your continued success riding Metro on the freeways perhaps you can create a familiar path that might not be so stressful when retraced in a car ?
Keep up the good work !
Boots13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boots13 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #18
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Your situation sounds like PTSD stuff. I'm not any sort of a psychotherapist but I am a survior in many ways. Auto accidents have been a fact of life for me. None of the accidents I have been in were my fault. I have been rear ended, T-Boned, ran smack into a telephone pole, hit by a fairly slow moving automobile in a parking lot, on and on.

I learned how to drive at the age of 15 on Los Angeles freeways and local roads. This in and of itself is great "nerves of steel" training. One thing that does really challenge me is riding a bike in traffic. I was hit by a bus riding a bike and to this day, I get very stressed when I or loved ones ride a bicycle in traffic.

I've had a couple of "incidents" as a passenger on a SF Muni bus and a bus in Los Angeles. Alas, those are stories for another time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #19
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation

Bad_boi dearest, considering your circumstances, I completely understand your feelings. However, when I'm on the freeway I blast the song of the day and let her rip!!!...

Duchess
Old 09-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #20
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation
Default My favorite freeway song....