Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 03-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default LGBTQ Representation in the Media

The SVU thread got me thinking about starting this thread...a discussion about where and how our community is represented (or not) in the media--the good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between.

Here's an ad I found today that was shown in Canada during the Olympics but not the United States.

The Lesbian Hyundai Olympic Ad That Was Too Hot For (American) Television
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Love the ad! Thanks for sharing.

The first person that came to mind was Rachel Maddow, then the list grew from there.

Thanks for starting this thread
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

I have been thinking, and although I think Will & Grace was a breakthrough show for the times, I believe the characterization of the gay roles were based on cliches and stereotypes. As soon as I typed that I realized that so was the L word...hmmm.

I think that the gay characters on Grey's Anatomy are an improvement, indeed.

As a whole, I believe that the media does a very poor job of representing those of us in the LGBTQ community.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Does anyone remember the character "Vasquez" in one of the Alien movies? I think the movie depicted one of the very few examples of "Female Masculinity" on the big screen.

When I first viewed this character, my mind screamed out "Butch." ( Of course I also noticed Vasquez was a Latina/o.) Although back when this movie came out, I think it was somewhat of a new or unspoken concept that one could be or feel/project butch and be with a cisgender male. __________________________________________________ _____________

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...e_Alien_series

Vasquez
Private Vasquez (Jenette Goldstein) was a smartgunner on the Sulaco, partnered with Drake. Vasquez survived the hive and helped seal off the complex from the aliens. She fought together with Drake and killed many aliens during the attack. She was injured when acidic blood from an alien that was shot at point blank range landed on her leg disabling her. Gorman and Vasquez together put their hands on a live grenade to avoid being taken by the aliens. Scholar Judith Halberstam, in her book titled Female Masculinity, wrote that the character is a strong example of female masculinity in film. The Aliens: Colonial Marines comic book limited series features her younger sister (Carmen Vasquez), also a Marine.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation

There was very little LGBTQ representation on tv when I was growing up in the 60's-70's. We had one tv, my dad chose what we watched. I remember a particular episode of All in the Family with Archie coming home after performing CPR on a woman in his cab. The character (Beverly LaSalle) turns out to be in drag. That was the first time I can remember anything like that. Of course it was played for laughs and shock value.
I grew up in a conservative Catholic family. I never knew any queer people in real life and rarely saw them on tv and when someone was it was played for a joke. I'm not saying that it would have made my coming out process to my family any easier. But the LGBTQ youth of today may benefit in that there is more accurate representation on television now then that of the past.
Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

CBS responds to gay criticisms

Friday, March 5 2010, 7:12am EST
By Dan French, TV Editor

CBS will make a conscious effort to introduce gay characters into its shows, network president Nina Tassler has confirmed.

Last year, the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation criticised the Eye network for its lack of gay characters, while it was recently reported that CBS had rejected adverts from a gay dating site.

"Any show can have gay characters," Tassler told The Hollywood Reporter. "We're conscious of that as well. This year one of our pilots, Quinn-tuplets, has gay characters. Any series can.

"This year we made a concerted effort to suggest to producers, if not in pilot, then as we go forward."

Tassler added: "Diversity has always been a priority. It is a conscious choice across the board to pay attention and to add diversity any way we can."

--------------------

On entirely different note, remember that Jack, in Three's Company, had to pretend to be gay in order to live with Chrissy and Janet? That was weird now that I think back on it--how he *acted* the caricature of gay when the landlord came by--very swish etc...

Oh, and I couldn't watch Soap (conservative Catholic upbringing as well) b/c of it's *adult content* -- remember Billy Crystal played a gay man named Jodie?

Those are two of my earliest memories regarding TV and this issue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

It just kills me that the we in the US are so prissy! That commercial was so vague. Ehhhhhh.

I am thrilled to see people like Rachael, Ellen and Wanda Sykes are out and very popular. Yes, they make them wear make up and try to feminize them a bit, but it is better than it used to be.

Things are definitely better than when we were kids, but there is still a looong way to go.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

I'm with Ezee, I felt the void growing up and I think those growing up gay today have so many benefits, and the simple of joy of being able to watch a TV show that has a character that you may or may not identify with.

I say that because I am not one that believes that TV characters should be our heroes or those we are inspired to be (well except for a few) or look up to, but it is plain fun to me so see gay characters on a show. Also, I think as a teenager I would have appreciated seeing those who reflected what I was going through, if only for the fact that it would have made dealing with the mixed feelings a bit easier.

And I had forgotten about CBS and their homophobic stance regarding the Super Bowl ad. Grrrr!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

We really had no role models growing up.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

I'm taking a different angle with this post.

I am so angry about how the media is treating little Shiloh Jolie-Pitt.

The obsession with this child and her appearance is disgusting.

This fixation includes multiple articles on her appearance, as well as speculation of (even!) this child's orientation, reeks of homophobia and transphobia. Just b/c at age THREE (!?), she is not conforming to what the press/society wants her to look like, they are ALL OVER IT.

I feel gross even talking about it b/c she is just a child, but it does reveal a lot about the media and press and what happens when even a child does not conform to societal gender expectations when it comes to appearance.

Here's an article about it on After Ellen:

Shiloh Jolie-Pitt's haircut makes headlines
by Dorothy Snarker
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Default Some Reading Material

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...3983187&ref=mf
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post

This fixation includes multiple articles on her appearance, as well as speculation of (even!) this child's orientation, reeks of homophobia and transphobia. Just b/c at age THREE (!?), she is not conforming to what the press/society wants her to look like, they are ALL OVER IT.

I feel gross even talking about it b/c she is just a child, but it does reveal a lot about the media and press and what happens when even a child does not conform to societal gender expectations when it comes to appearance.

by Dorothy Snarker
No wayyyy, I had no idea.
Poor kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
Wow.

and he thinks its funny?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:26 PM   #13
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation

Is Shiloh was not some celebrities kid, no one would give a fuck..

Just sayin'

I call my son Worm it does not mean he is asexual
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 06:21 PM   #14
TIMBERWOLF

How Do You Identify?:
Old Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lesbian Butch so that would be she, but I come to just about anything *S*
Relationship Status:
Single

TIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST Reputation

I really don't like the way TV shows gay/lesbian people on tv. There has been a few, like Billy Crystal when he played Jodie.I tried watching the L word from a patient that loaned me the tapes and i said no thanks after watching the first one, I guess I was a lucky kid growing up. 85 % of my mothers friends were gay and lesbian. Our neighbor's up the street were a Lesbian Latino couple. My mom use to go up and drink wine and was always invited to both houses when my parents threw a party or they threw a party. My Dad would go skinny dipping in the bay with the oldest one(Margo).Most of the cat breeders in our club were gay and lesbians.When I was coming out ,a couple of lesbian friends of my mom said has "s" crossed over yet and my mom said I think so.I had Uncle George and Uncle Edward a couple that were together for over 25 yrs that became my kids Uncles. My parents never put us in "roles" so I really thank my Great Spirit for having the parents i did and still to this day.I was the Tomboy and my sister was the "girlie-girl".
I think that TV and movies are moving forward to a more openness of how some gay or lesbians are in real life. Now if they can just get it together for the trans community.
TIMBER
TIMBERWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post

by Dorothy Snarker
I agree that the microscope treatment is difficult on adults, much less impressionable kids just trying to be themselves.

However, if I let my objective side take a walk and let my 'if it's in print, it MUST be true' side come to the foreground, I say flippin' excellent!

If Shiloh wants shorter hair and wants to dress tomboyish and wants to be called John and Brad and Angelina are doing it, brilliant. When I think about it, these are two of the most accepting people in the celebrity scene.

Besides, I actually prefer the shorter hair on her. It is absolutely adorable!

Now, back to the logical part of my post...yes, it's disturbing how much attention is fostered on kids in the media. Let them be, people.

Oh, and I also think that the representation our community has in the media is quite slim. There's no way to represent every branch of our community tree, but I wish they would try harder to do so and to make those characters really good and likeable. I do like Wong's character on SVU. But is being cast as a therapist the only way for our community members to receive a decent representation? Is that only field that 'good lil gay boys 'n girls' get to shine in (without becoming a caricature or stereotype)? That irritates me.

I'm misunderestimated.

Last edited by Gemme; 03-05-2010 at 07:16 PM.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #16
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
I agree that the microscope treatment is difficult on adults, much less impressionable kids just trying to be themselves.

However, if I let my objective side take a walk and let my 'if it's in print, it MUST be true' side come to the foreground, I say flippin' excellent!

If Shiloh wants shorter hair and wants to dress tomboyish and wants to be called John and Brad and Angelina are doing it, brilliant.
When I think about it, these are two of the most accepting people in the celebrity scene.

Besides, I actually prefer the shorter hair on her. It is absolutely adorable!

Now, back to the logical part of my post...yes, it's disturbing how much attention is fostered on kids in the media. Let them be, people.

Oh, and I also think that the representation our community has in the media is quite slim. There's no way to represent every branch of our community tree, but I wish they would try harder to do so and to make those characters really good and likeable. I do like Wong's character on SVU. But is being cast as a therapist the only way for our community members to receive a decent representation? Is that only field that 'good lil gay boys 'n girls' get to shine in (without becoming a caricature or stereotype)? That irritates me.

Totally agree with your words I underlined.

What I don't agree with is the fact that the media is so concerned as to what this could MEAN for Shiloh's possible gender/sexual orientation.
This is how (not) far we have come in terms of anyone--even children--transgressing what society thinks is appropriate gender norms.

(and then you see them celebrating and praising Suri Cruise for her little heels and dresses; it's messed up).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #17
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

One More Lesbian: The Lesbian Media Site

About One More Lesbian:

Our mission here is really two fold, the first is visibility. In the LGBT community, we often complain about the fact that we do not have enough/correct representation in the media. While we believe this to be true, there are also many films, TV shows, and web series around the world that do represent us in all of our colors. The Internet has given us the ability to explore and experience video content around the world, but unfortunately the word “lesbian” has also become synonymous with pornography on almost all of the various video sites…which brings us to the second part of our mission – accessibility.

We’re constantly sifting through the various video search engines to find true lesbian content for OML, but we’re really only as strong as our members, viewers, and community help us be. A great deal of what you see is submitted by viewers like you. Nothing makes us happier than to find a new film, character, or music video that we’ve never heard of…and this is exactly the reason for this site. We want any woman or girl anywhere in the world who seeks representation and affirmation, to land on OML and find it here. At last count, we’re now viewed in 186 different countries. Many of these countries are a part of the “3rd World” where such content is neither broadcasted, screened, sold, or rented. One More Lesbian welcomes everyone but it is created by lesbians for lesbians and bisexual women. We ask all of you to help us grow by submitting any content you have produced or have stumbled upon.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:27 AM   #18
Artdecogoddess

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She - but read me however!
Relationship Status:
Blissfull!

Artdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST ReputationArtdecogoddess Has the BEST Reputation

Fascinating thread! I really enjoyed read it. Thanks to all who posted.

I have a strong memory of the first lesbian I saw on tv was also on All in the Family. Edith's aunt dies and she inherints a silver tea service. The aunts's partner goes to Edith and explains why the tea set is so important and asks if may have it instead.

I remember that Edith's initial confusion and then dawning awareness was priceless and meant to be for a laugh - yet she also very compassionately returned the tea set to the woman. I remember thinking - at age 7 or so - wow - that was the right thing to do. Its a powerful pop cultural memory and a good media portrayal, I believe.
Artdecogoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Artdecogoddess For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2010, 09:15 AM   #19
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Last night I went to see Prodigal Sons. It is a full feature documentary film about Kimberly Reed a MTF Lesbian born and raised in Montana.

Maybe because I come from a large family that of course has its dysfunction this film spoke to me on many levels. Kimberly also has an adopted brother, Marc, who suffers from a brain injury and is estranged from his sister Kimberly.

The film reached across the standard fare and went a little deeper. Sibling rivalry, domestic violence abuse, adolescence, death, grief, hiding, deflection and facing some of the demons head on with authenticity and still hope.

This film IMO, portrayed a Transwoman and her family in a very forthright, real way, and with humanity. The film shows Kimberly not only as a MTF but as a human being with family and her journey in moving through the plethora of issues that come with transitioning.

I think LGBTQ people were portrayed fairly and with depth. It showed that Kimberly is so much more. She is not merely some social experiment and/or rebel. The fullness of much of her past and current life was captured.

http://http://www.prodigalsonsfilm.com/drupal/index.php
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #20
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Default From After Ellen:

Vote Now for the Top 50 Lesbian/Bi TV, Film, and Web Series Characters

Despite the bleak reality of the disappearing lesbians on primetime television last year, 2010 is already looking a little better, with a new crop of lesbian/bi characters turning up in starring and recurring roles. The same is true of lesbians on film, with some high-profile movies featuring lesbian characters already making the rounds at mainstream and LGBT film festivals this year.

That's why we think it's the perfect time to consider those lesbian/bi characters that have made a lasting impression on us all. Whether they were struggling to come to terms with their own sexuality, juggling too many women, or trying to figure out how to use their powers for good instead of evil, there have been many lesbian/bi characters in film, television, and even in web series, who have made us laugh, cry, scream, and, sometimes, scratch our heads wondering "What the hell just happened?"

When it comes to all of these scenarios, we're not naming names — but we hope you will.

In our first annual survey of the Top 50 Lesbian/Bi TV, Film, and Web Series Characters, we're asking you to name your favorite fictional characters of all time. So while you probably have your current favorites, please dig deep into your own personal pop culture vault and try to include even those who aren't currently on the air or big screen, and maybe even those who just seem to be in eternal syndication.

The characters you choose can be from any genre of scripted film, television or web series, and from US or international shows and films. Votes for reality stars or other "real" people won't be considered. We're strictly looking for your votes on the best fictional characters.

It's up to you to decide exactly what criteria you use to determine the "best." All we ask is that you limit your choices to female characters (we leave the men for the folks over at our brother site, AfterElton.com who are conducting their own poll here).

We suggest you ask yourself what characters have moved you in a significant way? What characters do you think changed the way viewers view lesbians and bi women &mdsah; or impacted subsequent TV portrayals of lesbians and bisexual women? Or maybe it's simply a question of what characters struck you as the most "real" and the most expertly written and performed?

You can enter up to 10 names in the form below but keep in mind a couple of rules. First, no ballot stuffing. Ballots with the same character name listed more than once will be discarded. Also, only one vote per ISP address will be permitted. Only the last form submission from an ISP address will be counted. Thiis poll is open to all of our readers. Feel free to encourage your Facebook friends and Twitter followers to weigh in too!

Voting will be open until midnight March 5th and the results will be posted on March 15th.