Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 03-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #21
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default From GLADD: Call to Action

Call to Action:
Tell Life & Style That Focus on the Family Aren't "Experts" in Raising Children

Dear GLAAD Supporter,

The latest issue of Life & Style, a popular celebrity gossip magazine with a readership of almost 1 million, features a cover story that claims that actress Angelina Jolie is turning Shiloh, her daughter with Brad Pitt, into a boy. They cover asks "Is it harming the three-year-old?" referring to the child's short haircut, pants and polo shirt.

The article cites several so-called “experts,” like Glenn Stanton from the virulently anti-gay Focus on the Family who says: “They need help, they need guidance of what that looks like. It’s important to teach our children that gender distinction is very healthy.”

When a magazine like Life & Style slaps this mixture of intrusive tabloid sensationalism and judgmental stereotyping on its cover, it can make life difficult for young people who are in the process of coming to terms with who they are.

The magazine needs to send a message to its readers — many of them parents — that they should not reject their children simply because they don’t happen to conform to Life & Style’s narrow gender stereotyping.

None of these “experts” has the qualifications to claim what is healthy or unhealthy for Shiloh. Rashad Robinson, Senior Director of Media Programs for GLAAD says, “We believe media has a responsibility to differentiate between credible authorities and politically motivated (and usually self-proclaimed) experts like Focus on the Family’s Glenn Stanton.” Life & Style magazine only adds to the sensationalism of the article by giving a platform to Stanton.

"Life & Style is way off the mark with this outrageous coverage," Robinson adds. “Targeting children for ridicule about the way they dress is unacceptable, regardless of their parent’s celebrity status.”

In response to the cover story, The National Center for Transgender Equality told the Advocate, “The length of Shiloh's hair or the clothes she wears are really matters for her and her parents to decide; this is a family that is known for their fashion, says Justin Tanis, outreach manager for NCTE tells The Advocate. “What's important here is that every child, including Shiloh, has the opportunity to express herself and explore her world in a way that is safe and nurturing for her. Our society needs healthy, well-rounded children whose interests and tastes are as diverse as the children themselves[s]. Shiloh — and all other children — deserve the right to be themselves in ways that feel right to them as they learn and grow.”

GLAAD contacted Lindsay Ferraro, the Publicity Manager of Life & Style, to voice our serious concerns about this story. The magazine’s response was dismissive and showed no concern for the impact of the cover story’s sensationalism on all children and families.

We urge community members to voice their concerns directly to the magazine.

Dan Wakeford, Life & Style: Editor-in-Chief
dwakeford@bauer-usa.com

Lindsey Ferraro, Life & Style: Publicity Manager
lferraro@bauer-usa.com
(201) 569-6699 x 648

Sarah Drabick
Life & Style: Associate Publicist
sdrabick@bauer-usa.com

The headquarters for Bauer Publishing (which includes an Entertainment Division that is the home of Life & Style and InTouch) is:
270 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632

Tel: (201) 569-6699
Fax: (201) 510-3297
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #22
Forgetmenotfemme
Timed Out

Forgetmenotfemme is an unknown quantity at this point

Happy birthday media God blessed us on this day
Forgetmenotfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #23
hpychick

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine with a hammer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girly Stuff
Relationship Status:
Jesse's Girl. She asked! I said yes!

Location: Minneapolis! Or as I like to call it - Many Happiness!
Thanked 1,417 Times in 499 Posts
hpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

HowSoonIsNow, what a great thread. I think it raises a good deal of questions, and perhaps we won't solve the *GLBTQ in the Media* issue here, but it's a great forum to discuss.

As I read through the posts, I am both touched by the stories and a little concerned with some of the narrow-visioning displayed. We are so very quick to attack the media for the lack of GLBTQ representation.

Was it really so long ago that married heterosexuals were even allowed to share the same bed on television? Was it so long ago, that they were allowed to kiss, or hold hands? When I was a child, I recall my parent's outward disapproval of a particular episode of
Leave it to Beaver where the Beave held hands with a girl and let her kiss him on the cheek. And these were kids!!!! My parent's were outraged that this display of affection was being shown on television.

I remember Ozzie and Harriet, as well as June and Ward, and Luci and Desi all sharing separate twin beds. I always wondered if they pushed the beds together when the doors were closed. LOL.

My point here, if it isn't obvious, is that perhaps we need to give it time. The U.S. and its media has "come a long, baby." Is it where it needs to be, or even should be in our communities' eyes? Definitely not. But it is *somewhere* dear people of GLBTQ identities. It is somewhere that it wasn't 10 years ago; hell, even 5 years in many cases.

As with all things, give it time. I believe a lot has and still is being done to bring *us* to the public eye. I know it will continue, and it will grow, and yes there will be mistakes along the way - but it is all carving the path for and to our representation in many forums.

hpychick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hpychick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2010, 11:41 AM   #24
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

I think the first sympathetic portrayal I saw of a Transwoman was on Ally McBeal. Anyone remember her name? (I had a hard time just remembering Ally's name, lol...) One of the lawyers fell in love with her and even considered dating her after he found out she was trans, but he couldn't sustain the relationship.... and the show was about as honest as I've seen, portraying not just his reaction, but also her pain. I was amazed.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #25
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

I think somebody already mentioned this, but when the character "Beverly Lasalle" appeared on "All in the Family", and Archie - despite himself - grew to like her and see her as a friend - I think that was a milestone for us. If ARCHIE could see Beverly as a person - maybe even a woman........ When he mourned her death - it was a very touching moment. Perhaps that character wouldn't be considered a great portrayal of someone from our community by today's standards, but it was groundbreaking in it's respectfulness at the time.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #26
SassyLeo
Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Thanked 1,584 Times in 622 Posts
SassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST Reputation

Wikipedia isn't always my favorite brand of data...but I couldn't find anything else as comprehensive.

List of TV shows with LGBTQI characters

Of note:

It appears that daytime Soap Operas were pretty progressive for the time...

Barney Miller?

I don't necessarily want to give Reality TV any kudos...but there have been many queer folks on various programs. With MTV leading the pack.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyLeo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #27
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Over the weekend I remembered another episode of "All In the Family" that affected me. Edith's cousin passed away, and Edith went to recover a silver tea set that had been in the family for generations from her cousin's "room mate". Even though Edith wasn't the brightest bulb on the tree, she was always a kind woman. When she realized that the "room-mate" was really her cousin's partner, and that the two woman had shared tea from that tea set every day after work, she decided to leave the set with her. Edith worked from an emotional level and recognized what the woman was going through - no overt support for the loss of her partner, no claim on the tea set - which had great sentimental value for her......

I realize now that seeing that episode was an eye-opener for me, and may actually have been responsible for me staying in the closet for so long. It had never occured to me before that lesbians had to keep their relationships hidden.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:01 AM   #28
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

If These Walls Could Talk 2 was an amazing and powerful docudrama collection, especially concerning lesbians- from:
http://lesbianlife.about.com/cs/subject1/gr/ITWCT2.htm

If These Walls Could Talk 2 was originally an HBO Special, showing the lives of different generations of lesbians that all lived in the same house over generations. Produced by Ellen DeGeneres and directed by Anne Heche, ITWCT2 is one of the best representations of the lives of lesbians on film.

If These Walls Could Talk 2 portrays the lives of three different generations of lesbians. In 1961 Vanessa Redgrave plays the 'widow' of her partner of 50 years. In one of the most heart-breaking stories ever, Redgrave helplessly watches as a distant relative of her partner comes and take possession of their belongings. No story could more poignantly argue for the rights of same-sex marriage.

In 1972, college girl Michelle Williams meets soft butch Chloe Sevigny at a lesbian bar. Although her friends disaprove of Chloe's dress, Michelle can't keep away from the sauve soft-butch on a Harley. Sexy and hot!

Ellen DeGeneres and Sharon Stone star in 2000 as a lesbian couple who wants nothing more than to have a baby. The love scenes between DeGeneres and Stone are worth the price of this video alone!

If These Walls Could Talk 2 is one of the best looks at the real lives of lesbians. It's funny, sexy, well-acted and directed. My only real complaint is that all of the main characters are white.

By Kathy Belge, About.com Guide
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2010, 02:03 PM   #29
SassyLeo
Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Thanked 1,584 Times in 622 Posts
SassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST Reputation

Several years ago, I saw this movie at a GLBTQ film festival in WA. I was moved, so moved...well, pretty much crying the entire time

Inlaws & Outlaws<<<Website

The trailer isn't that great...
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXeNyoqTLW0"]YouTube- Inlaws & Outlaws Preview[/ame]

2 of the older couples, one gay, one lesbian- told of their stories of YEARS of being closeted and then living as a couple for more than 50 years. It was beautiful to hear and watch the depth of their love for their partner(s) and how much they had weathered over the years. One of the men died last year. He might have made me cry the most

I wish movies like this were played on primetime TV so people could see we are and live just like everyone else.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SassyLeo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #30
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up Queering Pop Culture!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxWskedKAVU&feature=related"]YouTube- You Belong With Me - Gay version[/ame]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #31
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Bryan Batt Talks Sal's 'Mad Men' Fate, Hollywood's Gay Problem
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #32
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

I just saw this and wanted to share.

http://ellen.warnerbros.com/2010/03/...sShareURL=true
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #33
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

How Queer is Oprah?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2010, 04:52 PM   #34
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post
Thanks for posting this SIN I truly enjoyed reading it.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #35
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post
What's really interesting in that link is the story referenced here: http://www.oprah.com/relationships/F...ransgender-Man Very tastefully done and beautiful love story.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:00 PM   #36
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:
Urban Bohemian : http://youtu.be/IM96Ch9Gx4A

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,250 Posts
Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation
Default A thought about the media...........

I work in the media, and want to encourage any and all who feel that there is a lack of media coverage on issues of importance, to look into Public radio, and Public TV stations in your area. Most stations have in their Mission statements that they exist to help the undeserved communities have a voice. You can get trained in both facets, and become a part of the media.This gives you the opportunity to represent in ways that give meaning and power to you, your organizations and viewpoints. And it's fun. Just saying.........

Pashi
Old 03-21-2010, 09:22 PM   #37
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
What's really interesting in that link is the story referenced here: http://www.oprah.com/relationships/F...ransgender-Man Very tastefully done and beautiful love story.
Yep. Great story--I posted that earlier today in the SOFFA thread.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #38
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Default From GLADD: Call to Action

CALL TO ACTION:
Demand That Ticked-Off Trannies with Knives
Be Pulled from Tribeca Film Festival Line-up

By marketing Ticked-Off Trannies with Knives as a "transploitation" film, by using the word "trannies" (a pejorative term for transgender people) in the title of the film, by casting transgender women in some roles, and by citing the murders of Angie Zapata and Jorge Mercado in the trailer, Israel Luna has attempted to place his film squarely within a transgender narrative. However, while some of the actors in the film identify as transgender, the characters are written as drag queens, “performing” femininity in a way that is completely artificial. The very names of these over-the-top female caricatures (Emma Grashun, Rachel Slurr, et al.) drive this point home. Because of its positioning as a transgender film, viewers unfamiliar with the lives of transgender women will likely leave this film with the impression that transgender women are ridiculous caricatures of "real women." It demeans actual transgender women who struggle for acceptance and respect in their day-to-day lives and to be valued for their contributions to our society.

------------------

I learned about this story from joemygod who posted a trailer and wrote: GLAAD has posted a petition calling for the film to be removed for the roster. Here's the trailer, judge for yourselves:

Ticked-Off Trannies With Knives - movie trailer

What do you think?
The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #39
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation
Default Official Member: Evil Gay Conspiracy

Okay it's Friday and time for a little fun. I read this today from the SF Chronicle newspaper straight out of the Land of Sodom and Gomorra, aka San Francisco. It is all very "Tongue-in-Cheek." I am sure this is what many of the extreme right ilk imagine is taking place in those bastions of Lefty Liberals. Enjoy.

Official member: Evil Gay Conspiracy

By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist

Friday, March 26, 2010

"Texas Freedom Network, Planned Parenthood, and the Human Rights Campaign work together as 'triplets' and speak with one voice. Mark Morford is a part of that network. What parent in his right might would want TFN and their network to have any influence over what impressionable and vulnerable students are taught?" -- In hilarious defense of the odious Texas State Board of Education, apparently Here's how it usually goes down:

"The network" usually meets every Sunday morning at the churchly hour, right about 10 a.m. or so, at a top-secret location that is definitely not the latex water bondage olive oil leather-curing rope-making genital-torture foosball dungeon-slash-jam preserves stockroom over at kink.com, so please stop pounding on the door and begging to come in, OK?

It always starts the same way. Everyone hugging, kissing and injecting the demon seed into his/her genitalia and then inseminating the 13 glistening, moaning virgins, as we casually swap stories of our recent kitten bloodlettings and imbibe copious amounts of laudanum and absinthe from the polished skulls of Christian babies culled from last week's clandestine raids at various Orange County Gymborees. Then, coffee.

After six or seven hours of foot massaging, chanting, flagellating, bathhouse-grade sodomy, and the scraping of evil fingernails against the Great Chalkboard of Unrepentant Doom ($29.99, IKEA), we start the meeting.

Correction: It's not really a meeting, per se. More like a salon, an idea swap, a wicked cauldron of perverted inequity, wanton inebriation and sweaty yoga that's overslathered with entirely reasonable desires to deeply corrupt and misguide the youth of America, touch all straight people and make them gay and/or perverted, and further analyze methods by which we can seed giant clouds over Kansas, Texas and Utah to rain down body glitter, organic kombucha and Hendrick Hertzberg articles. You know, typical.

We're all there, like the Super Friends of Sodom, like What's Wrong With America, Inc.: Members of the ACLU, the Human Rights Campaign, Planned Parenthood, GLAAD, MoveOn, NOW, The Sierra Club, the liberal media (ahem), and many, many others, various and sundry groups/acronyms whose mission statements only seem to promote helping millions of people live better and more freely, but are really dedicated to converting unsuspecting adults to the joys of skimpy spandex bathing suits, champagne enemas and making Lady Gaga Supreme Leader of the Known Galaxy Including Hawaii.

Barbara from Planned Parenthood usually makes these crazy delicious cupcakes, totally decadent chocolate things with rum and real cream, covered in candy sprinkles and the scorched ashes of the Fallen.

Every once in a while she throws in a surprise flavor, and the lucky person who takes a bite of her Abortion Rights Special (tastes like choice!) gets to immolate herself at the Great Altar of Gleeful Lube -- basically a big, acrylic bust of Dan Savage -- while we all watch and cheer and whip the Mormon slaveboys into bringing us more drinks.

For the record: Screaming Moloch's many glorious names during the Ritual Call of Happy Blasphemy sounds totally funny when you do it through a mouthful of chocolate cupcake crumbs. Just FYI. We always crack up, even as the floor rips open and spurts up the blood of the Master. When Satan invariably appears, looking, somewhat oddly, like a cross between Thomas Friedman, Bill Maher and Charo, he's always, like, "WTF are you guys laughing about? OMG, tell me!" Drives him totally crazy.

Then he has a cupcake. All better. Barbara = awesome!

It's not always perfectly attended. Sometimes Rich from the ACLU can't make it, has this or that sudden flare-up issue to address, perhaps some lesbian high school prom thing in Mississippi or a racist toy at a Des Moines Wal-Mart, that sort of thing.

Do not misunderstand: We all think the ACLU does fine work. It ain't easy chasing down some of society's saddest and tackiest table scraps, just to make an example of them, to set the standard, to keep the constitutional vultures in check.

But damn, the poor guy's always dashing off to some reeking hellhole in Kentucky, Louisiana or rural Texas to fight for a fundamental basic human right you thought was pretty solid, but which is more slippery than it should be, amidst a sea of spit, intolerance and twangy country music. He almost always misses Vatican Pedophilia Scandal O' The Week (a slideshow, Benjamin Blower as soundtrack).

Of course, we all have our issues. One of the most poignant moments in the meeting comes when we all share a personal tale of just how tough it can be out there, how completely exhausting it is trying to inform/pollute so many human souls with notions of blissful dirty sex, unchecked joy and self-determined happiness.

It ain't easy extolling the idea that God is not what you think she is, that you have far more spiritual freedom than they tell you, that gender is fluid and love is a liquid pulse, and you are already hot like wicked sunshine with divine perfection. Not to mention how Jesus was just a weird mystic anarchist who hung out with hookers and freaks and would have completely rejected/abhorred every megachurch, pastor, pope and homophobic GOP doctrine in world history.

Turns out many people hate hearing that stuff. Just can't handle it. Personally, I can't count how many times I've been told I'm going straight to hell for whatever reason: championing gay rights, sex-positivism, proposing free Hitachis for every 14-year-old girl, that sort of thing. A hundred? A thousand? So far, I feel pretty good. Nothing's fallen off. Nothing on fire. At least, not in a bad way. We'll just have to see.

Speaking of the kids, we all take turns with the tutoring. Every couple weeks I spend a solid day with a few dozen or so, training them in the Beautiful Dark Ways, filling their sweet, innocent heads with simply luscious lies suggesting that, say, homosexuals are very nice people, gender and sexuality are far from fixed in nature, history is mostly spin and PR, Catholic schoolgirls are shockingly/delightfully well versed in doing quite nasty things with their mouths.

And they soak it up! Kids these days are so bright and willing, eager and wise! I always leave upbeat and encouraged about the future. Of, you know, evil.

Did I mention the orgies? How could I fail to mention the orgies? Every Sunday night, it's like a meth-fest gay nightclub in Rio meets a Roman whorehouse in Mickey Mouse's pagan daydream on the dark side of the Dog Star, but with a lots more Ecstasy, single-malt scotch and leather. But I'll hold off on the details; some things are better left to the imagination.

After all, as you surely know, nearly all the desperate or otherwise hateful reaction I/we always get from conservatives and fundamentalists alike invariably stems from, of course, insane jealousy. It comes with the territory, you know?

Hey, it ain't easy being part of a great and sticky conspiracy to defile/illumine the very soul of humanity. But sweet Jesus with a Burning Man ticket and a well-thumbed copy of the Bhagavad Gita, it sure is fun.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Join Mark on Facebook and Twitter. Email him here. He never reads the comments.

Mark Morford's column appears every Wednesday and Friday on SFGate. To join the notification list for this column, click here and remove one article of clothing. To get on Mark's personal mailing list (appearances, books, blogs, yoga and more), click here and remove three more. His website is right here.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/03/26/notes032610.DTL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #40
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts