Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > General Gender Discussions

Old 03-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #41
MissItalianDiva

How Do You Identify?:
Miss Twiggy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and that shit doesn't sound atrocious!
Relationship Status:
divorce happens..all that glitters ain't gold

Thanked 7,161 Times in 1,793 Posts
MissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST Reputation

I agree with Toughy. Here in the Bay there is definitely not a lack of butch identified folks or butch energy. I personally think Toughy hits a pretty valid point. I see and hear of folks all the time expecting to go into the bar or gay club wanting to meet folks. How well can you possibly interact with someone in that type of environment.

After reading this thread I am even more grateful to be living in the Bay Area. Of and as for the Whole Foods color I think it is green...?

Also I think it is important to ask ourselves when trying to date a specific type of person who identifies a certain way do we truly know what WE are looking for or are we looking for a "stereotype". What's on the surface is not always what is on the core of someone. Just a thought

Last edited by MissItalianDiva; 03-29-2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Way too tired to be posting
MissItalianDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to MissItalianDiva For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #42
Breathless
Brat Extraordinaire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Happy

3 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 23

Thanked 4,101 Times in 958 Posts
Breathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST Reputation

I feel like I should clarify my comment about imposter in a butches clothing.. I agree, and am grateful that butches come in all body types, styles, long hair, short hair.. my comment was more in reference to the stereotypical attitude that a butch is protective, polite, gentlemanly, mannered, respectful etc, vs a set physical ideal of what makes identity. Being butch or how ever you label or dont label yourself comes from the heart... agreed
Old 03-29-2012, 10:11 PM   #43
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I hope us butches are going out of style,I do know hear we (at home) dont have a large bf communits infact its fue and far between.I've met some femmes on line and on the planet but not any where I live,but at my age 64 and counting down to 65 the dateing pool is slim to nun.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #44
Breathless
Brat Extraordinaire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Happy

3 Highscores

Breathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST Reputation

A classy human being is never out of style
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
I hope us butches are going out of style,I do know hear we (at home) dont have a large bf communits infact its fue and far between.I've met some femmes on line and on the planet but not any where I live,but at my age 64 and counting down to 65 the dateing pool is slim to nun.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #45
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

i used to carry a wallet and not a purse.

Was i . . . *gasp* . . . a butch impostor?
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #46
Scuba

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Flying Solo

Thanked 8,048 Times in 1,618 Posts
Scuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post

**plays shocking music**

A butch imposter? Say it's not soooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

~~Bob Richardson~~
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scuba For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #47
Scuba

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Flying Solo

Thanked 8,048 Times in 1,618 Posts
Scuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST Reputation

I'm still alive...just sayin

~~Bob Richardson~~
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Scuba For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #48
Library_girl

How Do You Identify?:
Old School Femme, girl, babygirl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, & other girly words
Relationship Status:
Married to DJ Bear

Thanked 1,247 Times in 280 Posts
Library_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST ReputationLibrary_girl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintease View Post
Yes but did individual lesbians have a choice? Invariably no. Butches all looked butch and femmes all looked femme. It was a very heteronormative and rigid way of establishing identity, particularly if you wanted to get laid. I imagine many lesbians today would be stumped were they to be asked to pick a side (remembering that dress back then also corresponded to sexual activity far more than it does today).
Excellent point!!! See, I love your posts.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #49
StoneOne
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
StoneOne
Preferred Pronoun?:
SyrDamon

Thanked 1,441 Times in 382 Posts
StoneOne Has the BEST ReputationStoneOne Has the BEST ReputationStoneOne Has the BEST ReputationStoneOne Has the BEST ReputationStoneOne Has the BEST ReputationStoneOne Has the BEST ReputationStoneOne Has the BEST ReputationStoneOne Has the BEST ReputationStoneOne Has the BEST ReputationStoneOne Has the BEST ReputationStoneOne Has the BEST Reputation
Cool We are alive and well

I will never give up on forever .....
I do believe in taking time to find the one and spending forever together....
I do believe in forgetting the small stuff dont sweat it .......
I do believe in partnerships it takes 2 to tango good and bad...
I do believe U must pay attention dont get to comfortable .......
I do believe U must learn to forgive in your heart or pay the piper......
I dont believe U fill a void just because it is there......
I do believe if u let it go and it comes back it's forever if not it never was........
I do believe if u make a commitment u should stand by it......
I do believe there is someone for everyone .....
I do believe u have just to find one another .......

this is prolly not the right thread for this post but well ya know......
StoneOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #50
mariamma

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,116 Times in 281 Posts
mariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputation

It sure would make it easier on me if Femmes put a big old "F" on their forehead so I could spot them!

I usually give butch women a big, open smile, look them deep in the eyes and say "Hi". If one neuron is working, she and everyone around her will know I'm a femme saying Hi to a butch woman.
cuz I'm subtle like that
mariamma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mariamma For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #51
mariamma

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,116 Times in 281 Posts
mariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputationmariamma Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless View Post
I feel like I should clarify my comment about imposter in a butches clothing.. I agree, and am grateful that butches come in all body types, styles, long hair, short hair.. my comment was more in reference to the stereotypical attitude that a butch is protective, polite, gentlemanly, mannered, respectful etc, vs a set physical ideal of what makes identity. Being butch or how ever you label or dont label yourself comes from the heart... agreed
I like your definition of a butch Breathless. They do exist but in too few numbers IMO Some are ID'd as queer/bois/etc. now and will bust out that shell as they evolve in life. Some current young butches will evolve into queer/studs/etc. Still not enough dashing, charming, gentlemynly butches in the world for this sensual, curious, complimentary femme. Won't someone tell the straights to make more butch babies
mariamma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mariamma For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #52
Breathless
Brat Extraordinaire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Happy

3 Highscores

I have a butch baby for a daughter..lol.. she appears very femme, however it is deceiving Dont nobody get any ideas.. she is 16

And thank you Amma
Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #53
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,783 Times in 4,470 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

When I was a little kid I asked my Dad if girls could be astronauts (there weren't any girl astronauts then). He said yes.

The best way to ensure there will be more butches is to set a good example, be a mentor when asked, and to continue to let the world know that women and females can be any way they want to be. We are not restricted by any sexist or gender stereotypes. If some call themselves by names other than butch that's all good too.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #54
wetfromashower

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Single

wetfromashower Has the BEST Reputationwetfromashower Has the BEST Reputationwetfromashower Has the BEST Reputationwetfromashower Has the BEST Reputationwetfromashower Has the BEST Reputationwetfromashower Has the BEST Reputationwetfromashower Has the BEST Reputationwetfromashower Has the BEST Reputationwetfromashower Has the BEST Reputationwetfromashower Has the BEST Reputationwetfromashower Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

As small as the state of Delaware is... There is no lack of Butches here... and in a three hour radius you have many states with unlimited butches... (de,nj,pa,md,va,dc,ny... to name a few states) just my two cents...
wetfromashower is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wetfromashower For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #55
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post

OMG, me too lolololol
but I could never fnd my stuff
Old 03-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #56
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,056 Times in 2,077 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

Maybe it has something to do with social media? I am a youngin' so I can't talk about "back in the day" but there seems to be a hell of a lot more social influence on lesbians now than ever. With shows like, The L Word, The Real L Word, Curl Girls, shows on LOGO, Ellen, Rachel Maddow, etc, everyone is a soft butch or androgynous. I am racking my brain, and can not think of one strong butch role model in social media today that is not looked down upon.

"Back in the Day", from what I have read, and heard from people who were there, Butch Femme was a social scene and Butches were taken under the wings of other Butches and mentored/supported and it was an inclusive group with relatively NO influence from mainstream America. Now with all of this external influential, pressure and America's stereotypes of "what lesbians should look like and be like" it kinda makes sense that the newer generation is changing and there are not as many "Butches" (in the way we are describing here) around anymore. It sucks, but maybe it's just evolution.

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #57
TimilDeeps

How Do You Identify?:
queer fucker
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mine
Relationship Status:
I'm dating myself. It's really working out. I think I'm the one!!!

Thanked 1,471 Times in 445 Posts
TimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetfromashower View Post
As small as the state of Delaware is... There is no lack of Butches here... and in a three hour radius you have many states with unlimited butches... (de,nj,pa,md,va,dc,ny... to name a few states) just my two cents...
oh so true your royal wetness. and as someone who lives in PA, I can tell ya it is Butch central.
TimilDeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TimilDeeps For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #58
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
her poison apple
Preferred Pronoun?:
b. grrl
Relationship Status:
she gets me ..

Thanked 21,376 Times in 6,725 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

not so much are butches a dying breed but i'm quite sure OS butches are rare everywhere
kittygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #59
TimilDeeps

How Do You Identify?:
queer fucker
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mine
Relationship Status:
I'm dating myself. It's really working out. I think I'm the one!!!

Thanked 1,471 Times in 445 Posts
TimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST ReputationTimilDeeps Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygrrl View Post
not so much are butches a dying breed but i'm quite sure OS butches are rare everywhere
Then again, we've always been a rare breed
TimilDeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TimilDeeps For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #60
Christy51274

How Do You Identify?:
100% High Femme, Submissive
Preferred Pronoun?:
Call me whatever you please.
Relationship Status:
Single

Christy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST ReputationChristy51274 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancer611 View Post
I've heard time and time again that butches are "dying out," that there are tons more femmes than butches and that that trend will likely continue. I haven't been out long and don't know much about the overall community. Is this true, or a myth that people in femme-heavy areas like to throw around?
@Dancer:

I'm so glad you've brought this up. Whenever I go out, femmes are the majority. I live near Baltimore and haven't checked out the D.C. scene yet, but butches, FtM trans guys, etc. are rare indeed! Oh well...I'm not really seeking them out, but would be nice to see more of them around.

Christy51274 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christy51274 For This Useful Post: