How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

How many of you can relate to this article? I can. My twenty years of psych and school social work have been intensely stressful and meaningful. I like how she captured so much love for the students while still saying how damaging it was to her psyche. The experience enriches the soul and wounds it at the same time. Are there people who don't work in schools like this? With kids like this? With families like this? I can't say I've had much experience outside of this realm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon View Post
IT HAPPENED TO ME: I HAVE PTSD FROM TEACHING AT AN INNER-CITY SCHOOL

ETA: Worth checking out the many interesting and worthwhile comments post-article.

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2013, 08:05 PM   #422
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,308 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation
Default back to nycfem

I just code software and have never been a teacher so I cannot relate. After having read the article, I want to say I do not know how you do it. Such high stress day after day. nycfem, please leave if it starts ruining your health and not wait as long to leave as the woman in the article.

I take my hat off to all of you doing this type work in these type conditions.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #423
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

That's so funny that the PTSD article was posted and I read it before one kid came back to school -- his first day back -- and blew UP. He was upset that he still has so many credits to complete in order to graduate. He refused to sign his orientation paperwork (threw the papers on the table) and started dropping the F-bomb, blaming previous schools and teachers for not giving him the credits he believes he earned. It was going to escalate when I calmly but firmly asked him to leave.

It is so nice to have that option. My students are mostly 18-22 SDC, and we are in an alternative program. If one of them acts a fool, I can just say, "Go home."

Anyway, an hour later he walked back in, and while he didn't apologize, he was sweet as pie. All went well.

Then I talked to a troubled parent and then to a student who has a crippling anxiety disorder and is feeling nervous about returning to school. I do not quite know how therapists do it. It is a LOT of work to deal with emotionally disturbed folks. I don't think you realize it until you have a break -- like summer break. It was a tough summer, but with the exception of one of my mother's friends and, I suspect, her twice weekly housekeeper, I did not interact with people who have serious mental illnesses -- or at least illnesses that are obvious and require effort on my part when communicating.

When you teach SDC Special Ed, the most average General Ed student looks like a genius, and when you teach the ED population, you get used to that too and think very little of it. But, in fact, there are serious challenges to this work, and they do take a toll.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2013, 01:42 AM   #424
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

My contract finishes in a little more than a month. I don't know what I'm going to do after that and I'm full of anxiety.

MOE was supposed to notify the end of of June. Hahahahaha. Once Ramadan started I knew we wouldn't get an answer. Now the school holidays are over (back to school on Monday), I wonder if we'll hear anything. Or if the Ministry of Finance won't give an ok until October or November or December ...

Thank goodness for my anti-anxiety medication.

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2013, 06:25 AM   #425
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Martina... I am glad you have the option to ask them to leave. You do very stressful work. Congrats!

Kiwi... I hope you find out soon what is going on with your contracts. ugh so much unknown. Positive thoughts for you!

I read the PTSD article and I could relate to a slight degree. I remember developing panic attacks about talking to parents on the phone from one position. After that I position I've tried to be more careful about the positions I look for and teach in. The last 2 years working with crazy vice principal taught me I can handle a lot and I don't want to have to handle incompetence.

Right now I am counting my lucky stars, thanking the Goddess, working hard and being grateful for the place I've landed. Support, competence and care for students is incredible.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #426
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

First staff meeting of the year. Oh god. Totally ruined my night. Our new teacher manager has confused the hell out of a lot of people. Our new Principal does not inspire confidence, and the AP seems to be doing nothing. (She was passed over for the Principal's job.)

Twice, I rephrased what the Principal said because no one had a clue what she meant. I said, "Are you saying that we are buying new curriculum?" The answer was yes, which is good. But if I hadn't asked, I am not sure many folks would have realized that that is what she meant. I sure wasn't sure.

The manager said something like the EL working group will adapt our current curriculum for EL students. I asked her if she really said that because it would mean a massive effort and take way more teacher time than anyone had scheduled. She was like, no, I don't know, maybe, I don't know. I looked at the Principal, and she said, no, we would be buying EL curriculum.

They basically said they were going to go against the contract in scheduling meetings to prep for our accreditation review. (They won't. If they do, someone will report them to the union and it will cost them money.)

Anyway, the teachers were just floored. I mean, to even act as if they could command us to work beyond our contract is naive. People won't do it. It takes leadership to get them to attend meetings they are contractually obliged to attend. It won't happen. They would get crucified by THEIR bosses if they tried. But they shocked the shit out of a bunch of teachers.

God, there was a ton more stuff like that. It wasn't a conspiracy to fuck teachers. It was just massive incompetence laced with stupidity. God help us.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #427
sis
Diva!

How Do You Identify?:
StoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Content!

Thanked 1,401 Times in 296 Posts
sis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Back to the grind .....

Started back up this morning with meetings, meetings and more meetings. Still awaiting a key to the classroom so I can begin set-up. Tomorrow, my local teaching assistant will arrive and hopefully we can get some time to get to know each other. While I'm an experienced teacher, and have taught at this school for a while, I'll be teaching a new grade this year so my learning curve will be huge. But, I'm up for the challenge! lolol I hope that each of us getting ready to go back has enjoyed their summer break. I know that I have!

Deb
Oh! Please do!
Oh! Please!
Oh!
sis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sis For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #428
sis
Diva!

How Do You Identify?:
StoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Content!

sis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Well, the Grade One students start today ..... I only have to meet and greet them, introduce myself, and record their 'English' names! One class attended the school last year in a Bilingual setting; the other class is new to the school. I see copious amounts of in my future! lolol I hope everyone is enjoying the start-up to their school year!

Deb
Oh! Please do!
Oh! Please!
Oh!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:19 AM   #429
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Sis... Have a blast and remember we'll have pen pals soon!

I have training today. As a teacher new to the district. It will involve the new writing curriculum. Which my previous school used. So I am more experienced than others (even the not newbies). I hope to learn a ton.

My room is nearly set up. Waiting on supplies to arrive. I let the secretary know I won't be freaking out until Friday. I went and bought pencils because I am pretty sure the supplies won't be there.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #430
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

6 more days of summer for me and then DAY ONE.

It's cool that I already went in and copied syllabi and we don't have any pre-school meetings, so I can eke out my summer holiday to the very end.

I have a Grade 9, Grade 12, and Grade 11 (English) this semester--different levels of ability, and I'm really looking forward to the mix of students. We have the International Baccalaureate program at our school, so the school has a really diverse population of academic (not to mention socio/economic) levels. I could teach all IB, but I really enjoy teaching different levels and getting to know all different types of students. I have a good time with them and feel really lucky that I still enjoy my job so much. The kids can really tell when their teachers WANT to be there with them and makes all the difference in terms of classroom management and motivation etc.

Oh, if anyone has any cool Icebreakers or something neat you do on the first day, please pass along. I usually do a writing sample, but I'd like to do something fun too! Thanks and best to all in their new school year!
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #431
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Soon... I am thinking about the ice breaker activity. Since you have high schoolers pardon me if my suggestion is too elementary. I was thinking about the "don't eat the marshmallow" activity, discussion and writing afterwards. My 2nd graders will do something similar with a cookie monster video (me wait or something like that) and marshmallows.

http://http://www.teacherspayteacher...ctivity-301214
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #432
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

So we have a new Teach for America intern -- Special Ed. I have MAJOR issues with TFA, but I don't want to take them out on any individual.

And as I have gotten to know her, I find that I like her. She's not from an Ivy, she's a woman of color, and she is actually getting a Master's in SPED. The typical TFA intern is Ivy educated, white, and filling out her resume before she leaves after two years to become a lawyer or investment banker. TFA treats teaching as a volunteer position, not like a profession.

Also these folks almost never stay. In the mean time, they are so privileged and so out of their depth that they are sponges for support. They have NO shame about asking -- nay, demanding help -- and are rarely more than perfunctorily grateful.

So today the TFA intern is with a student and comes to me for help. She wants it NOW. I stop and help her because Wednesday is my light day and I want to be available to her when I can. So I gave her what she asked for, but she didn't understand it. I said I could explain it, but you are with the student now, right? Yes, she said. I said I have nothing that is transparently understandable that I can give you right now. She gives me the look that any gently raised 22 year old college graduate would give an elder -- the one that says, "You've failed me."

God, help me. I am not good with these folks. With my students, I am good. Lots of patience. With demanding entitled twenty-somethings, not so much.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #433
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

On a good note! Red is settling in to her new school and so far all is well. The kids are of course taking advantage of the new teacher and trying their best to tell her things they are allowed to do which of course consists of nothing that is true. LOL. She teaches 5th grade and has cafeteria duty on Tuesdays with the 6th graders who found out real quick not to mess with the short red-headed new teacher. They attempted to ignore her warnings so they all got to spend the remainder of their lunch break writing a paragraph of why they should follows the cafeteria rules. I kind of know how they felt. :-)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 01:33 AM   #434
sis
Diva!

How Do You Identify?:
StoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Content!

Member Photo Albums

TGIF

This week has been a ride! LOLOL I have two groups of 30 students each - some have very basic English speaking skills, the others have considerably less to none. But, I can tell you, they are no different in nature that any child where ever you live in the world. Typically, I have a couple of firecrackers, a few who are missing mama, a handful of bossy pants (much like myself when I was a kid!), several who are stunned at being in an English environment, etc. All in all, it looks like its going to be an interesting year. Bring on the !!! lol

Have a great weekend - mine starts within the hour!

Deb
Oh! Please do!
Oh! Please!
Oh!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sis For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2013, 11:14 PM   #435
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

They have left the TFA intern completely alone. She has no idea what a triennial IEP actually is, no idea how to write any IEP, no idea how to test. She has been working with a student for three weeks and asked me to help her get started on the student's overdue triennial. I looked at the current IEP. It turned out the student was qualified under ED (emotional disturbance). So the girl is in the wrong program.

We talked to the girl. It turns out that she has no insurance and is unmedicated. And, by her report, being off meds is making it nearly impossible for her to do school work. So the poor TFA intern has been working with this girl for three weeks without even knowing what her disability is or dealing with the elephant in the living room. The studnet should never have been placed in the TFA intern's program. And the TFA intern should have help with her IEP's from her Program Specialist. She does not know what is in front of her. She does not know who to contact for anything. She does not know what present levels are, what IEP goals are supposed to be like, what a transition plan is. And she has been teaching this poor unmedicated girl for three weeks without helping her get health care.

The morning when this happened -- again no warning -- my student got cheated of time with me. And, of course, her student has not been getting what she needed.

People who argue that teacher turnover is not a serious problem -- there was a recent article in the NYTimes -- are out of their minds. My student NEEDED his time with me. My day went from manageable to chaotic. And her student deserved appropriate interventions.

I did get a nice email from the intern saying thank you, etc. But this is not how it's supposed to happen. Not the intern's fault. But she shouldn't be trained during my student's time. Nor should her students get screwed for weeks at a time. It's hard enough when you know what you are doing. A Speech Pathologist has been finding one excuse after another not to come out and work with one of my students with a traumatic brain injury. She as much as said she didn't want to come out. Anyway. It's not easy when you are trained and experienced.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:47 AM   #436
sis
Diva!

How Do You Identify?:
StoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Content!

Member Photo Albums
Default For those of you who go back today ......

..... Happy 1st Day Back to School!

Deb
Oh! Please do!
Oh! Please!
Oh!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sis For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #437
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,719 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

Tomorrow the kids start. I write this at 4:40 am, having awoken with immediate insomnia at 2:30 am.

I went to bed right on time, startin' the year out perfect. But here I am now, having a bowl of cereal in the middle of the night

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #438
sis
Diva!

How Do You Identify?:
StoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Content!

Member Photo Albums

Had a challenging Monday as I have 3 monkeys in my morning group and four very homesick sweeties in the afternoon group. The morning was filled with redirecting the monkeys; the afternoon was filled with wiping away tears.

Tomorrow is Teacher's Day here in China. Teachers are very respected and there will be a lot of excitement in the classroom tomorrow. There is sure to be gifts, flowers, moon cakes, cards, etc. I told my students that I am not supposed to accept anything from them but I would LOVE it if they would draw me a picture that I can put up on the wall. I forgot to tell them that the best gift they can give me is to be good ALL DAY!!! lolol

Deb
Oh! Please do!
Oh! Please!
Oh!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #439
lusciouskiwi

How Do You Identify?:
femme lesbian feminist
Preferred Pronoun?:
Anything except for "aunty"
Relationship Status:
Happy with my butch.

Thanked 9,096 Times in 1,899 Posts
lusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputationlusciouskiwi Has the BEST Reputation

Still no news on whether the contract will be renewed/extended for next year. I have a feeling we won't know until after the government releases the budget next month. And since the prime minister gave out envelopes of cash all over the country before elections this year, what are the chances that the Ministry of Finance will say there's nothing in the government's coffers?

Risk! Risk anything! Care no more for the opinions of others, for those voices. Do the hardest thing on earth for you. Act for yourself. Face the truth. Katherine Mansfield

Motivate yourself or be miserable. Whatever has to be done, it's always your choice. Wayne Dyer
lusciouskiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lusciouskiwi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #440
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Good evening Educators! I hope the Kiwi knows soon. And that Sis has a great holiday tomorrow.

Speaking of monkeys... my very loud monkey was absent. It was nice to see how quiet the class could be with out him. We had a chance to collect data on the other monkey who is a tad quieter. I also got to meet 1:1 with the quieter monkey. This helped him hold it together through the morning.

My 2nd grade team mates wanted to practice the new fire drill route 3 times. Luckily my class missed the 2nd practice and only needed to practice twice. LOL... I have a student with Aspergers who obsessed all day about the start of the actual drill with sound thanks to the extra practice. I was planning on telling them only a half hour before. Sigh... teamwork is tricky sometimes.

I am going to try my hand at incorporating some technology tomorrow. Snort... we shall see.

My class is doing rather fabulous compared to the other classes. Happy kids, happy parents, happy teacher tonight.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:

Tags
careers, educators, gltb, network