Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 01-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #41
julieisafemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to Greyson

Thanked 3,445 Times in 660 Posts
julieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputationjulieisafemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Macklemore is an ally in my book. I like the song and him as an ally because it obviously comes from a personal place because his uncle is gay.

My kid loves that song because it makes her feel proud that someone is talking about these things who is very popular and on the radio. I guess it is some kind of validation for her about our family.

The Grammy performance was awful. Mary Lambert was pushed to the side. At one point Macklemore stood directly in front of her like she was some kind of backup singer. Not cool! She was the only out queer on the stage! Madonna was sooooo bad I could hardly stand it. Queen Laitifah is welcome to not discuss her sexuality publicly but I would have rather seen an out queer in her place. The whole marriage thing was really over the top for me and it was annoying that straight people were included.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #42
GeeGina

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, but flexible.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss
Relationship Status:
Single. Looking. Available. Open.

GeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST Reputation

While I echo the author's point about "not needing straight boys to validate her existence" Macklemore's getting a few more of them on board won't hurt, either. The rights we're all fighting for aren't going to magically appear and the more sincere allies we have on our side the better, no matter how naive , sheltered, or privileged their viewpoint.

The MORE straight people who see OUR love as decent, genuine, and comparable to theirs means more people seeing our lives in the same light. That means more people refusing to accept offenses against us, less harassment when we express affection in public, more sympathy while we fight for our right to equal protection under the law, and more people who simply believe that no one is free unless everyone is free.

How can that be bad? We need a big tent people. One bitchy, self righteous queer columnist ain't taking us to the mountaintop. Macklemore's in a position of power and influence and on our side. Why not cut the guy a break?

Also, she's dead wrong about hip-hop culture not being homophobic and anyone calling it out as racism. Anyone remember Busta Rhymes? Or Eminem? I do. More to the point, despite their leading role in the Civil Rights Movement, black churches from coast-to-coast STILL struggle with endorsing rights for LGBT people of any color. Many do not see our struggle in the same lights as theirs - and it was the single biggest reason why President Obama supported civil unions, and NOT same-sex marriage during his presidential campaign. He needed their votes.

Lastly, I'm reminded of a passage in "The Autobiography of Malcolm X" when, while speaking at Harvard, a white female student asked sincerely if there was any thing she could do to help the civil rights cause...and Malcolm X said "Nothing" and walked away. He later wrote that he regretted that - denying a sincere person a chance to do the right thing and help the larger cause (BTW...him telling the student there was nothing she could do made the movie...but his regret later didn't).

I did think the mass marriage was a stunt, and it made me uncomfortable.
GeeGina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeeGina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 01:05 PM   #43
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow Hmmmm.

Frank Ocean is an openly gay artist in the same category as Macklemore, the song is about love, anyone else notice he wasn't mentioned?

We do, other POC do, his music industry does.

It would of been nice for him to have been up there, singing one of his songs.

The author has very good points..
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2014, 01:46 PM   #44
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow Frank Ocean - "Thinking About You"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
Frank Ocean is an openly gay artist in the same category as Macklemore, the song is about love, anyone else notice he wasn't mentioned?

We do, other POC do, his music industry does.

It would of been nice for him to have been up there, singing one of his songs.

The author has very good points..

I had to requote myself cause I was on the phone on this above post, here is the song I am thinking of...

"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post: