Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 02-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #41
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

I've only seen The Help and am thinking of going to see The Descendants this afternoon.

I'm not really interested in the other nominees for Best Picture this year. (kinda odd)

Looking forward to tonight!
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #42
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
I did a post on my blog with my predictions. It's here. It's a bit long to post here. Tomorrow will be another post with my picks and the actual winners.
I really liked that post. Thanks for sharing it here with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post
I've only seen The Help and am thinking of going to see The Descendants this afternoon.

I'm not really interested in the other nominees for Best Picture this year. (kinda odd)

Looking forward to tonight!

You may want to add Moneyball to the ones you want to see, unless of course you totally hate baseball.

I am looking forward to it too!
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #43
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
BEST PICTURE

The Artist – Elder of Fire
The Descendants- Child of Air
Producers Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close – Four of Water
The Help – Lovers
Hugo – 3 of Water
Midnight in Paris – 10 of Air
Moneyball – 7 of Earth
The Tree of Life – 2 of Water
War Horse – 5 of Fire

Well that’s a bit hard, but in this case, just going on intuition, I’m going with the Child of Air and calling for The Decendants. This is because of all the cards, it shows someone being chosen. It was hard not to say Hugo since that film got the 3 of Water (Seek joy, y’all). Or The Help with the Lovers, but I have to make a decision. The Descendants.
From Arwen's blog.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:20 AM   #44
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,784 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation

I'm always interested in the overlooked performances that didn't get a nomination.

Jessica Chastain in "The Debt," for instance. It was a great performance in a little-seen movie. And I'm not just saying that because she's hot. I realize she was nominated for her role in "The Help," but I thought her performance in "The Debt" was much stronger. I suppose that performance was a leading actress one, though, and in "The Help," she was nominated in the supporting actress category. I hope she keeps making good choices for roles. I think she is definitely a rising star.

I do hope George Clooney wins. I thought his performance in "The Descendants" was one of the best of his career.

I didn't get a chance to see "The Artist" or "My Week With Marilyn," both two films I really wanted to see. I guess I will have to wait for the Blu-ray on both.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #45
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I'm always interested in the overlooked performances that didn't get a nomination.

Jessica Chastain in "The Debt," for instance. It was a great performance in a little-seen movie. And I'm not just saying that because she's hot. I realize she was nominated for her role in "The Help," but I thought her performance in "The Debt" was much stronger. I suppose that performance was a leading actress one, though, and in "The Help," she was nominated in the supporting actress category. I hope she keeps making good choices for roles. I think she is definitely a rising star.

I do hope George Clooney wins. I thought his performance in "The Descendants" was one of the best of his career.

I didn't get a chance to see "The Artist" or "My Week With Marilyn," both two films I really wanted to see. I guess I will have to wait for the Blu-ray on both.

Jessica was also in "The Tree of Life", and although I disliked the movie, I thought her performance was very good. She is definitely a rising star and she is not just banking on her looks.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #46
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

I saw "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" yesterday.

Gary Oldman is brilliant, as always. I don't think he will win the Oscar though. Has he ever won an Oscar? My god, he should, he is one of the finest living actors we have.

The film itself was very well made with a stellar cast but the screenplay was slow and long and I didn't feel like I ever "got" the plot.

I understand the book by John LeCarre is a beloved spy thriller, I imagine the book is very engaging - the film ... eh... only a little engaging, in my opinion. Perhaps if you've read the book you'd like the film. *shrug*
Old 02-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #47
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
I saw "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" yesterday.

Gary Oldman is brilliant, as always. I don't think he will win the Oscar though. Has he ever won an Oscar? My god, he should, he is one of the finest living actors we have.

The film itself was very well made with a stellar cast but the screenplay was slow and long and I didn't feel like I ever "got" the plot.

I understand the book by John LeCarre is a beloved spy thriller, I imagine the book is very engaging - the film ... eh... only a little engaging, in my opinion. Perhaps if you've read the book you'd like the film. *shrug*

I agree, I think he is brilliant. He was won a couple of BAFTA Awards but I don't think he has ever won an Oscar. It seems odd considering how good he is.

As for the movie, I have yet to see it, perhaps now I won't.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #48
Hack
Just a guy.

How Do You Identify?:
Just a guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
male
Relationship Status:
Sparkle's consort

Thanked 3,784 Times in 960 Posts
Hack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST ReputationHack Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post
I really liked that post. Thanks for sharing it here with us.

You may want to add Moneyball to the ones you want to see, unless of course you totally hate baseball.

I second this. "Moneyball" was a great movie. But if you really hate baseball, you probably won't enjoy it. But it is my top 5 of baseball-themed movies.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #49
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
I second this. "Moneyball" was a great movie. But if you really hate baseball, you probably won't enjoy it. But it is my top 5 of baseball-themed movies.
Not only is that movie about baseball, it is also about MATH

i don't like either one of those

but I really liked the movie

Quote:

I agree, I think he is brilliant. He was won a couple of BAFTA Awards but I don't think he has ever won an Oscar. It seems odd considering how good he is.

As for the movie, I have yet to see it, perhaps now I won't.
Gary Oldman will always be Sid to me.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #50
Scuba

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Flying Solo

Thanked 8,048 Times in 1,618 Posts
Scuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST Reputation

Am actually looking forward to the Oscars this year. So many good movies so little time

~~Bob Richardson~~
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #51
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
Not only is that movie about baseball, it is also about MATH

i don't like either one of those

but I really liked the movie

Gary Oldman will always be Sid to me.

Funny, I agree that you don't really have to like either to like the movie, it is so well done. But, if you hate baseball, then it may be a bit much. I happen to like both math and baseball.

I think he is brilliant!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #52
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,864 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Well.

Yours truly is busily getting all of his chores done now so he can watch The Oscars tonight.

I'm pulling for both "The Help" and "Albert Nobbs" to scoop up awards for both their productions and their actresses and supporting actresses.

Looka this "Oscar Moment" from "The Help":

(I just laugh and laugh at that smirk on Minnie's face as she leaves the scene!!)
"Ruuuuuuun Minnie, RUUUUUUUN!!!!"

I love this movie and both Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer.

I'll be rootin' for 'em both!!!!

~Theo~
Old 02-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #53
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadyke View Post
Am actually looking forward to the Oscars this year. So many good movies so little time
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoddz View Post
Well.

Yours truly is busily getting all of his chores done now so he can watch The Oscars tonight.

I'm pulling for both "The Help" and "Albert Nobbs" to scoop up awards for both their productions and their actresses and supporting actresses.

Looka this "Oscar Moment" from "The Help":

(I just laugh and laugh at that smirk on Minnie's face as she leaves the scene!!)
"Ruuuuuuun Minnie, RUUUUUUUN!!!!"

I love this movie and both Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer.

I'll be rootin' for 'em both!!!!

~Theo~

I am also looking forward to watching tonight, but unlike Theo, I haven't done diddly today.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #54
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Backstage Pass Live Feed

Live Updates, Red Carpet Feed
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #55
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

My predictions go 6 out of 24. 25%. LOL I think that is not great. But it was fun watching the show.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #56
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwen View Post
My predictions go 6 out of 24. 25%. LOL I think that is not great. But it was fun watching the show.

Mine were 9 our of 24, I think It was pretty neat following my ballot in the NYT.

I truly enjoyed the show it self, I thought it was much better than last year's.

The tribute to those who have passed was beautifully done.

Some of the winners were not what I had hoped for but I was glad to see others win.

I stayed up too late, but had fun watching it with Soon, some of the commentaries we made back and forth were pretty funny.

OK well, now I just need to watch the rest of the movies.