Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Able-Bodied Privilege

There is certainly able-bodied privilege present here (and all over) and I especially see it poke it's ugly head often in threads about sex & sexuality. We seem to have no problem recognizing our racial or class privilege, and face our denial quite often, but I don't see this much when it comes to able-bodied privilege. Don't see much consideration about it much at all. Of course, someone could be a POC, poor, female, etc. and disabled... Disability can range in severity and impairment as well as age of onset. Going from able-bodied status to one of disability is quite different than for people that have always lived with a disability.

Please post your thoughts....

Able-bodied privilege checklist:

This list is based on Peggy McIntosh’s article on white privilege. These dynamics are but a few examples of the privilege which able-bodied people have.

On a daily basis as an able-bodied person…

1. I can easily arrange to be in the company of people of my physical ability.
2. If I need to move, I can easily be assured of purchasing housing I can get access to easily - accessibility is one thing I do not need to make a special point of looking for.
3. I can be assured that my entire neighborhood will be accessible to me.
4. I can assume that I can go shopping alone, and they will always have appropriate accommodations to make this experience hassle-free.
5. I can turn on the television or open a newspaper and see people of my physical ability represented.
6. When I learned about history, people of my physical ability were well represented.
7. I was given curricular material which showed people like me as a role model.
8. I can be assured that assumptions about my mental capabilities will not be made based on my physical status.
9. I can swear, dress sloppily, or even be in a bad mood without people attributing it to my physical disability.
10. I can do well in challenging situations very often without being told what an inspiration I must be to other able-bodied people.
11. I have been asked to speak for all physically challenged people.
12. Almost always, when asking to speak to the person in charge, will find someone of the same physical status.
13. I can buy posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, children’s magazines featuring people of the same physical status.
14. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having someone suspect I got my job because of my disability.
15. If I am fired, not given a raise, or not hired, I do not have to question whether it had anything to do with my appearing physically incompetent..

Addition:

I can be assured that assumptions about my sexuality and sexual needs and desires as well will not be made based on my physical status.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
I'mOneToo

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
left of right
Relationship Status:
right of left

I'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST Reputation
Default sorry don't know how to quote this right

not sure how to do this but my replies are in CAPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
There is certainly able-bodied privilege present here (and all over) and I especially see it poke it's ugly head often in threads about sex & sexuality. We seem to have no problem recognizing our racial or class privilege, and face our denial quite often, but I don't see this much when it comes to able-bodied privilege. Don't see much consideration about it much at all. Of course, someone could be a POC, poor, female, etc. and disabled... Disability can range in severity and impairment as well as age of onset. Going from able-bodied status to one of disability is quite different than for people that have always lived with a disability.

Please post your thoughts....

Able-bodied privilege checklist:

This list is based on Peggy McIntosh’s article on white privilege. These dynamics are but a few examples of the privilege which able-bodied people have.

On a daily basis as an able-bodied person…

1. I can easily arrange to be in the company of people of my physical ability.

NO

2. If I need to move, I can easily be assured of purchasing housing I can get access to easily - accessibility is one thing I do not need to make a special point of looking for.

NO

3. I can be assured that my entire neighborhood will be accessible to me.

NO NO NO

4. I can assume that I can go shopping alone, and they will always have appropriate accommodations to make this experience hassle-free.

HELL NO

5. I can turn on the television or open a newspaper and see people of my physical ability represented.

NOPE

6. When I learned about history, people of my physical ability were well represented.

NON-EXISTENT

7. I was given curricular material which showed people like me as a role model.

NO

8. I can be assured that assumptions about my mental capabilities will not be made based on my physical status.

OH HELL NO

9. I can swear, dress sloppily, or even be in a bad mood without people attributing it to my physical disability.

NOPE

10. I can do well in challenging situations very often without being told what an inspiration I must be to other able-bodied people.

THAT KIND OF PANDERING MAKES ME BARF

11. I have been asked to speak for all physically challenged people.

UH NO, BUT I HAVE PIPED UP TO ADVOCATE FOR MYSELF AND OTHERS

12. Almost always, when asking to speak to the person in charge, will find someone of the same physical status.

NO, AND VERY UNLIKELY TO EVER FIND THAT

13. I can buy posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, children’s magazines featuring people of the same physical status.

HAHA NOT IN THIS SPHERE

14. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having someone suspect I got my job because of my disability.

I COULDN'T EVEN GET AN INTERVIEW, LET ALONE A JOB

15. If I am fired, not given a raise, or not hired, I do not have to question whether it had anything to do with my appearing physically incompetent..

DOES NOT APPLY

Addition:

I can be assured that assumptions about my sexuality and sexual needs and desires as well will not be made based on my physical status.

NO, IT IS ASSUMED I HAVE NO SEXUALITY, NO SEXUAL NEEDS, NO DESIRES, AND NEVER WILL.

I'mOneToo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to I'mOneToo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

What does it look like when able body privilege pokes it ugly head up in conversations about sex and sexuality? Because I'm differently abled (HATE the word disabled) and I have not seen it.

Can you give me some examples?
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

My answers are no, as well. Most all of the women who I have met...they just don't want to be bothered. It is an inconvience to them to have a guy/butch who is not rock solid.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
I'mOneToo

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
left of right
Relationship Status:
right of left

I'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST ReputationI'mOneToo Has the BEST Reputation

For me, primarily in clinical settings (of which there are many in my life, unfortunately). I am loath to discuss such personal details in a public forum but it is an issue for me. It's an extremely sensitive issue, obviously, and I can answer a general survey (such as above) but that's about it. But are you asking AtLastHome? Not clear. Sorry if this is overstepping. You may have gotten that answer already while I'm typing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
What does it look like when able body privilege pokes it ugly head up in conversations about sex and sexuality? Because I'm differently abled (HATE the word disabled) and I have not seen it.

The Following User Says Thank You to I'mOneToo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

For me, it too is a very sensative topic. It isn't something that I can be talking about openly on a forum. I am a pretty open guy, but somethings I do hold close to my chest.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

I can address something here. Until I met my Ami, I hadn't been accepted for my abelness, or lack there of. I won't talk about our sex life, that is private, but I can say, she is the only one who has ever said I am fine, just the way I am.
I am fortunate enough to qualify for the lift access anywhere I need or want to go. There is a large differently abled population here where we are, and companies for the most part have wheel chair access. Of course its illegal to use a powered wheelchair on the side walks here, dumb beyond belief.
The stores we use have power carts, except Aldees, at least it's small and I can walk that far.
Does this give me more privilege because we're in a place that has these accommodations? Perhaps, there is still so much more to do for the community.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)

Last edited by Corkey; 04-04-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mOneToo View Post
For me, primarily in clinical settings (of which there are many in my life, unfortunately). I am loath to discuss such personal details in a public forum but it is an issue for me. It's an extremely sensitive issue, obviously, and I can answer a general survey (such as above) but that's about it. But are you asking AtLastHome? Not clear. Sorry if this is overstepping. You may have gotten that answer already while I'm typing.

I really have no specific agenda about how the thread can or should go. I know that there are some things I would not be specific about just because, unfortunately, sometimes members post in very insensitive and.. well, ignorant ways. I just wanted to call attention to this as I feel all other kinds of privilege get talked about. And since I really have read some totally able-bodied privileged remarks about sex here and on the dash site, I feel a little enlightenment is needed. Also, many people are really not aware of what they are saying.. and not really in a mean way. They just don't have any perswonal experience with the subject.

Quote:

Yes, I get the differently-abled idea.

OK, on the infidelity thread, there was a post that bugged me in that it made a reference to illness and disability as a reason for someone to seek sex outside of the relationship. Obviously, the person was talking about a partner not having these issues at the start of their relationship.

What bothered me was 1) viewing someone with a disability or chronic illness as sexually defective.... Hello, there are many ways to have sex and I felt this was predicated on the able-bodied place of privilege that sexual activity can only be one way, the able-bodied person's way. 2) an inability to explore adjustments and adaptations for a partner. 3) Using a disability issue as an excuse to seek sex outside of the relationship. People are different about fidelity, so please do not think I am speaking about poly folks in a negative manner, I'm not. This is just one example.

I also have a close femme friend that has run into the other side of this- having people believe they are doing her some kind of favor as an able-bodied person having sex with her. She can see this sort a mile away and smacks their privilege right down, but this is not true for many other differently-abled women. She has also had more than one incident of drivers of Para-transit buses hitting on her, mostly with this pity-fuck attitude. All old farty men.. she's in her 20's and this is during the course of their work hours. Yes, she reported this. She is very attractive and quite severely disabled and has been since birth. She is also an extremely bright and articulate woman.. and enjoys sex. She has been sexually active in the same age ranges and frequencies as the rest of us. LOL.. I admit, I have to be careful and not try to intervene for her if it is not invited. She can take care of herself and does.

And oh yes, she deals with what One is talking about…. The complete denial of disabled people having a normal and healthy libido!

Does this help?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

I've heard folks say (outside of here) that people don't view them as "sexual" because of their physical challenges. I don't really understand that, becasue it is not something that I do. I may have lots of other biased opinions about your (the general) abilities, but sexuality doesn't really come to my mind.

But as a large, middle-aged, woman, I also get this alot from the "kids" I work with when I talk about sexuality...Like I don't like to get it just like the next person.
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,773 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajara2 View Post
I've heard folks say (outside of here) that people don't view them as "sexual" because of their physical challenges. I don't really understand that, becasue it is not something that I do. I may have lots of other biased opinions about your (the general) abilities, but sexuality doesn't really come to my mind.

But as a large, middle-aged, woman, I also get this alot from the "kids" I work with when I talk about sexuality...Like I don't like to get it just like the next person.

I'd just like to interject something here....

Middle-aged, my ASS!

Carry on.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

There are folks who are but a breath away from being differently abled. So if ones partner is healthy when they met them, then becomes differently abled, and the partner then decides they can't deal and leave....For me that is a character flaw, no more no less. People leave relationships for any number of reasons. Using someone else's physical abilities to leave is a cowards way out of a relationship. If they really can't deal, it is their issue. My .02

eta: Mental abilities as well. Unless of course said partner is a threat to ones life.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".

Last edited by Corkey; 04-04-2010 at 08:49 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #12
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
I can address something here. Until I met my Ami, I hadn't been accepted for my abelness, or lack there of. I won't talk about our sex life, that is private, but I can say, she is the only one who has ever said I am fine, just the way I am.
I am fortunate enough to qualify for the lift access anywhere I need or want to go. There is a large differently abled population here where we are, and companies for the most part have wheel chair access. Of course its illegal to use a powered wheelchair on the side walks here, dumb beyond belief.
The stores we use have power carts, except Aldees, at least it's small and I can walk that far.
Does this give me more privilege because we're in a place that has these accommodations? Perhaps, there is still so much more to do for the community.
NO! City planners all over need to get it together to provide access! People that don't deal with disabilities are the one's with the privilege... the whole damn world is built for them. Yet, here in the US as the masses of baby-boomers age, more acess is needed. And more awareness. This is a huge population that has paid into various systems like social security.

Hummm.. just thought of something else, the belief that disabled people do not work and thus don't pay taxes that are used for public building, and buy homes, shop in stores... you know, consume goods and services that we all need in order to have a working economy!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:

Yes, I get the differently-abled idea.

OK, on the infidelity thread, there was a post that bugged me in that it made a reference to illness and disability as a reason for someone to seek sex outside of the relationship. Obviously, the person was talking about a partner not having these issues at the start of their relationship.

What bothered me was 1) viewing someone with a disability or chronic illness as sexually defective.... Hello, there are many ways to have sex and I felt this was predicated on the able-bodied place of privilege that sexual activity can only be one way, the able-bodied person's way. 2) an inability to explore adjustments and adaptations for a partner. 3) Using a disability issue as an excuse to seek sex outside of the relationship. People are different about fidelity, so please do not think I am speaking about poly folks in a negative manner, I'm not. This is just one example.

I also have a close femme friend that has run into the other side of this- having people believe they are doing her some kind of favor as an able-bodied person having sex with her. She can see this sort a mile away and smacks their privilege right down, but this is not true for many other differently-abled women. She has also had more than one incident of drivers of Para-transit buses hitting on her, mostly with this pity-fuck attitude. All old farty men.. she's in her 20's and this is during the course of their work hours. Yes, she reported this. She is very attractive and quite severely disabled and has been since birth. She is also an extremely bright and articulate woman.. and enjoys sex. She has been sexually active in the same age ranges and frequencies as the rest of us. LOL.. I admit, I have to be careful and not try to intervene for her if it is not invited. She can take care of herself and does.

And oh yes, she deals with what One is talking about…. The complete denial of disabled people having a normal and healthy libido!

Does this help?

Maybe it is two different reading on one thing. I read and then re-read the post in question. I didn't read it the same way you did. I read it as an unfortunate fact that chronic/severe illness can cause so much stress in a relationship that intimacy goes by the wayside. It happens, and I am not sure that is able bodied privilege as it takes TWO to work on intimacy. Perhaps in some cases. I have more than a fair share of differentabilities. I have traumatic brain injury and have seizures. I've done a few years of chemo. It hasn't affected me too much. I have a great relationship with the hubby and we use humor to get through. (like i am a life sized vibrator).

I went to a Winter Ball recently and wow did they go out of the way to accommodate my wheelchair. I even had my own personal valet push me up the wheel chair ramp, and Toughy danced with me a did a strip-tease. My hubby sat on my lap and we slow wheeled rather than slow dance.

I have NEVER had the impression that a person was doing me a favor, but I have thought to myself that some people LOVE to pat themselves on the back for being so accepting. It makes me smile inside because they have no clue how transparent or asshatish that is.

We're all sexual creatures, no matter the ism we carry. Woof!

eta: i don't so much believe that able bodied *privilege* is a systemic problem. I think for the most part people don't know what they don't know. I try to educate whomever journeys into my path, and usually when I do we have a wonderful series of A-Ha moments OR they bury their head in sand deeper because it scares them in a *but for the grace of god go I* kind of way.

Last edited by SuperFemme; 04-04-2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: differently abled moment of time space continuum loss.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #14
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Being disabled sucks,u bet thats not even strong enough word to use or will theire be one.Some of u know I have an issus with my back and need something done to releave the pressure on the nerves so I can walk normaly without limping or useing my cane.This back issue had goten my spine out of alignment and its hurting in a couple of other places in my neck and left shoulder.Im able to work if the ppl I work for will allow me the priviledge to sit or take a stretrch break to loosen the tight musels in muy back now and then.
Sofar I havent found one job that would even give it a thought muchless do it..forget giveing me a try out and see if will work out for us as employee and employer.I know there are laws to help us get jobs and protect our rights but in the real world it aint so, cause no one pays any attention to them.Im on ssi and medicaid but still want to live a real life as I can and not be hidden in the corner and forgoten about.Im still puting out apps weekly hopeing something will work out,cause if I stop it means giveing up for me.
As for a relationship,I gave up on them a long time ago,its not that I would turn one down if the lady was understanding about how things work with the injury and all.But dam very fue take the time to deal with less abled ppl.I will no longer be anyones meal/drink ticket or used for a ride if ur car is busted.Since this happened on 2007 I have lost friends and aquantences,been broke more than any time of my life as well as lsot near everything I had.Now im on an even keel but only by the skin of my teeth.
Im in hopes that this year I can get things fixed and move on but I also realise I will always have some physical issues to deal with just not as bad as before.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #15
I'mOneToo

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
left of right
Relationship Status:
right of left

Typically, differently-abled people are viewed as a drain on society's resources, rather than contributors to it. I DO pay taxes with ever dollar I spend. But when I shop at a market and discuss access issues with management, they look at me like I'm a three-headed goat. They talk at me, but not to me. They say conciliatory words but somehow it's always "corporate" who's responsible for the lack of accessibility in the locality, never the locality's management. Never having been asked to speak on the behalf of differently-abled people, all I can do is try to make inroads where I see there is a lack, by speaking to management. This is a challenge in itself, the very act of speaking. In body and mind, I may be a little on the humpty dumpty side, but not in heart. That is intact. And is fully functioning, and capable of feeling every facet that one who is "able" can feel. But I'm talked down to, like a pre-verbal infant. Or people who shout, as though hearing is a problem (it's not). Then, there are people who finish my sentences and have no fucking idea what they are talking about because it's MY SENTENCE DAMMIT LET ME FINISH IT. Uh oh. I feel a rant coming on. I have a longer list than I thought. Better stop.

Quote:
NO! City planners all over need to get it together to provide access! People that don't deal with disabilities are the one's with the privilege... the whole damn world is built for them. Yet, here in the US as the masses of baby-boomers age, more acess is needed. And more awareness. This is a huge population that has paid into various systems like social security.

Hummm.. just thought of something else, the belief that disabled people do not work and thus don't pay taxes that are used for public building, and buy homes, shop in stores... you know, consume goods and services that we all need in order to have a working economy!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I'mOneToo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #16
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Typically, differently-abled people are viewed as a drain on society's resources, rather than contributors to it. I DO pay taxes with ever dollar I spend. But when I shop at a market and discuss access issues with management, they look at me like I'm a three-headed goat. They talk at me, but not to me. They say conciliatory words but somehow it's always "corporate" who's responsible for the lack of accessibility in the locality, never the locality's management. Never having been asked to speak on the behalf of differently-abled people, all I can do is try to make inroads where I see there is a lack, by speaking to management. This is a challenge in itself, the very act of speaking. In body and mind, I may be a little on the humpty dumpty side, but not in heart. That is intact. And is fully functioning, and capable of feeling every facet that one who is "able" can feel. But I'm talked down to, like a pre-verbal infant. Or people who shout, as though hearing is a problem (it's not). Then, there are people who finish my sentences and have no fucking idea what they are talking about because it's MY SENTENCE DAMMIT LET ME FINISH IT. Uh oh. I feel a rant coming on. I have a longer list than I thought. Better stop.
I don't even bother with management. I report report report and send a letter threatening a lawsuit for failure to comply with ADA law. I have not had to sue yet, it has always been handled by the proper authorities.

SO out of style not to be accessible these days, and SO not a choice. It's law.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 09:17 PM   #17
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,773 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

For those that don't know, I work for a hotel. This hotel has been here for almost 50 years, changing hands along the way a few times, and after all this time they still do not have the proper access for those on wheels or using canes and walkers. I mean, there have been some renovations done but the HA door to the lobby is.....well, not. Two entrances. One has a slight ramp leading into the back of our lobby area. This, the official HA door, is usually locked.

I know.

Sometimes during the day, it's open but it's always locked after dark. The other entrance has a fairly heavy door and there's no automatic door button for that one. I've suggested it; asked for it...but all the owners see (past and present) is the bottom line. What they don't see is a potential lawsuit and how much that would cost in the end not to mention that I just feel damn BAD when I see someone struggling with it. I get upset and annoyed FOR the guest because it should BE there already for them to use.

Honestly, I am genuinely surprised that we've passed inspections with a major brand with the layout like this. It really makes me wonder.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #18
I'mOneToo

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
left of right
Relationship Status:
right of left

I would really like to know how to take action with the ADA and get results. I have their numbers and an address in... hmm where is it, somewhere in federal offices... have not mailed any letters because: after talking to the people on the ADA line they suggest speaking to management. So what should I do?

At the same store a couple of years ago, I raised another issue and it was righted immediately, AND a $50 store gift certificate given to me for bringing it to their attention. THAT'S a manager who knows how to avoid a lawsuit. Now it's a new manager and he leans heavily on the "corporate excuse". Just waiting to get sued I guess.

Quote:
I don't even bother with management. I report report report and send a letter threatening a lawsuit for failure to comply with ADA law. I have not had to sue yet, it has always been handled by the proper authorities.

SO out of style not to be accessible these days, and SO not a choice. It's law.
The Following User Says Thank You to I'mOneToo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #19
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums
Default slight derail but fabu information

Arriving in inconspicuous plain white envelopes, attorney Scott Johnson’s letters have some local businesses working frantically to avoid lawsuits.
And the letters are no scam.

Johnson, a quadriplegic, is an attorney focusing on compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) since 2004.

That’s the same year California raised the minimum fine per infraction from $1,000 to $4,000, Johnson said.

The attorney has sent letters to businesses in Sacramento, Roseville and Auburn during that time, according to news reports, and now Lincoln.
Johnson said he sends letters to businesses “wherever I go.”

Pete Alcala, owner of Ace Body Shop and Towing on G Street, received one of Johnson’s letters on April 13.

“I have really no clue why I got this,” Alcala said.

It is a form letter, stating that Alcala’s business is not in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and asking that it be brought into compliance within 90 days. It also states that business owners “should not rely on city or county building inspectors, state lottery inspectors or non-existent grandfather clauses.”

The letter is signed by Johnson, with a contact address in Carmichael but no phone number.

Alcala said that at least two other area businesses also received letters.
A similar letter was sent about the same time as Alcala’s to Scott Swenson at American Home Realty, next door to Alcala’s shop.

“I didn’t know if it was a scam but my building was remodeled eight or nine years ago and I thought it was just a letter that had gone to every business in Lincoln and didn’t apply to me,” Swenson said. “I’m going to look into it a little further.”

Alcala didn’t wait.

Within days of receiving the letter, he contacted city of Lincoln Building Official Todd Cunningham, who pointed out some areas that were out of compliance.

Cunningham has no authority to enforce Americans with Disabilities Act codes as it is a national civil- rights act.

“We have no statutory rights to enforce it,” Cunningham said. “It’s (the business owners’) responsibility to know and comply with it.”

Even when new buildings go up, Cunningham said, they are typically only inspected for California’s set of laws regarding disabled access.
Cunningham said he is not currently qualified to pass any businesses on federal ADA guidelines.

That will all change in about a year with SB1608, a state law passed last year that will require specialists at local jurisdictions to know the federal guidelines and inspect businesses for compliance by sometime in 2010, Cunningham said. The time delay is meant to give inspectors time to get certified – a process Cunningham is currently going through.

“Essentially what this law is designed to do is you would call me, I’d come out and do an analysis of the building and could put a sticker on the window,” Cunningham said. “It’s designed to give you time. It’s just getting its legs.”

Cunningham said stickers issued by certified inspectors on the window would show that work to come into compliance is in progress and it would fast-track any lawsuits that arise.

“I voted for that bill last year,” said Assemblyman Ted Gaines (R-Roseville). “It allows for corrective action before litigation.”

After painting a disabled-parking spot and installing a new, wider door with Americans with Disabilities Act-compliant hardware, Alcala said he has spent about $700.

“If we don’t comply, I’m going to get sued,” Alcala said. “I can’t afford it. I firmly believe the city should be backing us. If we’re not in compliance, someone should let us know.”

Alcala, whose building was built 60 years ago, has been in business in the same location for 17 years. He said he wants to comply but he’s not sure who to turn to for help.

Johnson said his letters are not required and that he could file a lawsuit anytime he sees an infraction.

In response to questions over why his letters don’t include a list of the infractions, Johnson said he sends generic-form letters because, if he identified specific infractions, that would be all the business owner would fix and there may be more than he identified.

“Any time period that they need to do the modifications, that’s fine with me,” Johnson said. “They just need to keep me in the loop.”

Johnson said his intention is to bring businesses into compliance, despite some businesses’ claims that he is making a living off of it.

When asked how many letters he had sent to Lincoln businesses, Johnson merely replied, “several.”

“They’re the ones breaking the law,” Johnson said. “The ADA came in 1990. Why are they still in the Dark Ages? It’s unacceptable.”

Judy Guiraud, a Lincoln resident who uses a power chair, said that she appreciates the businesses that are in compliance and enjoys shopping in Lincoln.

With that said, Guiraud also understands what Johnson is doing.

"As a person who can’t get myself into most of the buildings in Lincoln, I have no problem with him," Guiraud said. “What Scott’s doing seems odious, but if people abide by the law, he would be out of business.”

Guiraud added that most businesses “probably want to be compliant and that the changes to come into compliance usually aren’t very expensive.”
Next week, Brandon Darnell will have a story about what steps should be taken to avoid a lawsuit on disability issues. He can be reached by e-mail at brandond@goldcountrymedia.com.

more info: http://www.ncd.gov/newsroom/publicat...arprogress.htm
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #20
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
I would really like to know how to take action with the ADA and get results. I have their numbers and an address in... hmm where is it, somewhere in federal offices... have not mailed any letters because: after talking to the people on the ADA line they suggest speaking to management. So what should I do?

At the same store a couple of years ago, I raised another issue and it was righted immediately, AND a $50 store gift certificate given to me for bringing it to their attention. THAT'S a manager who knows how to avoid a lawsuit. Now it's a new manager and he leans heavily on the "corporate excuse". Just waiting to get sued I guess.
Does your town have a DA? If so take it to them. It is after all Law.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post: