The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post
What's a good defrag program for macs?

Please and thanks.
Sorry. I missed your question.

I'm gonna guess that you're using OS X (10.4 or 10.5 or 10.6)

Uh.. no need for defrag on the Mac. The file system is different than others and does, by it's own behaviour, a mechanism to defrag.

Does that help.
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #22
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolveme View Post
Psst.

Will you tell a girl who to properly invisifont in this place?

Please and thank you, Linus.

e

I think you already did.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #23
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Ah..

Yes, use Firefox. Safari sometimes doesn't render all HTML properly.

And an extended keyboard might be the answer. You can get a USB external or re-learn life without. I never used it before so I don't miss it (I do miss the page down buttons).

YAY FIREFOX!!!

Downloading now. there goes the bandwidth ... thank you!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:02 PM   #24
evolveme

How Do You Identify?:
honeysuckle venom
Preferred Pronoun?:
a pistol and a sugar cane
Relationship Status:
I promise to aid and abet

Location: in between poems where ceilings are floors and joe ghost floats achromatic toward day
evolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I think you already did.
Herm. How come yours is more invisible?
Old 11-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #25
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

The trick is to use the magic color tag and make it equal to the color by hex. In this case: #effefe
Old 11-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #26
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy_dee View Post
There is normally a backspace button.
I dont have one now and use the delete button but it doesn't function the same. THis part is not a biggie

I'm a long time mac user, and so the delete (only) button seems normal to me. You'll get used to it - just chant backspace when you use it.

Since the advent of Firefox I've effectively ceased using Safari at all (except on the rare occasion when some bizarre glitch requires a different browser).

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #27
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Linus!

Yesterday I came home to find our home page inaccessible and a yahoo wizard open asking me what text message we had received. There were multiple options, all related to changing my password. Closing out of the window did no good; I couldn't access the home page through the button on the navbar no matter what because the wizard kept popping back up. I could, however, access any other web page in any usual way.

Um, do I need to say we hadn't received any text messages at all? Or did you already know that?

Anyhow, we signed out of yahoo, closed down the browser, and ran Housecall. It found six items, all something to do with "root kits" from what Gryph told me; and it says it fixed them.

The %^$# yahoo wizard is still keeping us from using the homepage button. We can go in from a different link, but we don't know how to get this thing off our computer. Am I right in assuming that if I use the wizard, it will still send our password out to whomever hacked us in the first place despite our having run Housecall?

I guess Firefox has gotten popular enough to draw the attention of hackers now. It's really annoying.

Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #28
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
The trick is to use the magic color tag and make it equal to the color by hex. In this case: #effefe

You mean like this?

Now THAT is fancy.

Alas, text will still show up in the quote box. Even invisible ink ain't what it used to be.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken

Last edited by Mister Bent; 11-12-2009 at 04:09 PM. Reason: invisibility cloak.
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #29
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bent View Post
I'm a long time mac user, and so the delete (only) button seems normal to me. You'll get used to it - just chant backspace when you use it.

Since the advent of Firefox I've effectively ceased using Safari at all (except on the rare occasion when some bizarre glitch requires a different browser).

I do hope you meant "Cant" backspace.. I do feel kinda funny chanting it.

Thank you!

I am loving my Mac and now Firefox again ... wooohoo
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #30
evolveme

How Do You Identify?:
honeysuckle venom
Preferred Pronoun?:
a pistol and a sugar cane
Relationship Status:
I promise to aid and abet

Location: in between poems where ceilings are floors and joe ghost floats achromatic toward day
evolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputation

Cool, thanks!
Old 11-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #31
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Hi Linus!

Yesterday I came home to find our home page inaccessible and a yahoo wizard open asking me what text message we had received. There were multiple options, all related to changing my password. Closing out of the window did no good; I couldn't access the home page through the button on the navbar no matter what because the wizard kept popping back up. I could, however, access any other web page in any usual way.

Um, do I need to say we hadn't received any text messages at all? Or did you already know that?

Anyhow, we signed out of yahoo, closed down the browser, and ran Housecall. It found six items, all something to do with "root kits" from what Gryph told me; and it says it fixed them.

The %^$# yahoo wizard is still keeping us from using the homepage button. We can go in from a different link, but we don't know how to get this thing off our computer. Am I right in assuming that if I use the wizard, it will still send our password out to whomever hacked us in the first place despite our having run Housecall?

I guess Firefox has gotten popular enough to draw the attention of hackers now. It's really annoying.

If someone installed a keylogger (a small program that records all your keystrokes) your password to sites is probably the least of your worries. Root kits are never fun but it does sound like it's something more serious. You have a tool bar that you use, like a Yahoo bar or something? Do you remember which one you installed?

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Old 11-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #32
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Linus, thanks for the quick response!

The home page button is the standard one on Firefox, next to the address bar.

The other two toolbars on the browser are the bookmarks toolbar and the yahoo toolbar, but they don't seem to be affected; the only time this happens is when we click the home button on the Firefox tool bar--if we use a different link to get to the homepage, the wizard doesn't open at all.

Our homepage is linked to our ISP, which is att.net. Gryph's email is yahoo, but that doesn't seem to be affected at all.

I don't think this hacker is after website passwords; I think they're after our ISP password. Does that make sense?

The computer was totally clean according to Housecall on Tuesday; then yesterday after this happened we had the 6 root kits. I haven't run Housecall today; I have to close everything down for over an hour to run it, and I thought I should talk to you first.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #33
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Hi Linus, thanks for the quick response!

The home page button is the standard one on Firefox, next to the address bar.

The other two toolbars on the browser are the bookmarks toolbar and the yahoo toolbar, but they don't seem to be affected; the only time this happens is when we click the home button on the Firefox tool bar--if we use a different link to get to the homepage, the wizard doesn't open at all.

Our homepage is linked to our ISP, which is att.net. Gryph's email is yahoo, but that doesn't seem to be affected at all.

I don't think this hacker is after website passwords; I think they're after our ISP password. Does that make sense?

The computer was totally clean according to Housecall on Tuesday; then yesterday after this happened we had the 6 root kits. I haven't run Housecall today; I have to close everything down for over an hour to run it, and I thought I should talk to you first.
It does make that they are after your ISP password. Go to the preferences of your browser and double check as to what is set for the homepage.

Additionally, download http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/

Do a scan with a log.

Copy and paste the contents of the log to me in a private message.

Old 11-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #34
PapaC

How Do You Identify?:
FTM-Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

PapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST Reputation
Wink

Dear Linus,

Your triple increase in fees due to "inflation" gave me great pause.
I have this deep desire to under cut you and crush your head!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZWnMzYvMgc&feature=related"]YouTube- Kids in the Hall - fight picker[/ame]

Signed,

the other crazy 'techy' canuck
PapaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:01 PM   #35
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaC View Post
Dear Linus,

Your triple increase in fees due to "inflation" gave me great pause.
I have this deep desire to under cut you and crush your head!

YouTube- Kids in the Hall - fight picker

Signed,

the other crazy 'techy' canuck
LOL.. Well, if we're going to do this, let's do it right:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL9oA1LFoMw"]YouTube- Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl - Argument Clinic[/ame]

Old 11-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #36
PapaC

How Do You Identify?:
FTM-Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

PapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST ReputationPapaC Has the BEST Reputation

Dear Linus,

I would... however, it doesn't seem possible at this time:

http://screencast.com/t/YzMwNDUwYzk

Quote:
LOL.. Well, if we're going to do this, let's do it right:

YouTube- Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl - Argument Clinic
PapaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #37
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaC View Post
Dear Linus,

I would... however, it doesn't seem possible at this time:

http://screencast.com/t/YzMwNDUwYzk
Sorry. Wrong room. Go down the hall.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM"]YouTube- Monty Python - Argument Clinic[/ame]

Old 11-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #38
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thank you, Linus, the info is on its way. I still have hijackthis open on my desktop; haven't done anything other than send you the report--I notice that it said there were files missing from AVG. That might be because we uninstalled it. We run avast! now.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #39
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Thank you, Linus, the info is on its way. I still have hijackthis open on my desktop; haven't done anything other than send you the report--I notice that it said there were files missing from AVG. That might be because we uninstalled it. We run avast! now.
Bit, can you put something else as the default home page? (say www.yahoo.com or www.cnn.com..)

Old 11-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #40
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

I made it google.com. Spybot S&D immediately popped up a "value changed" warning--I didn't see that before. Anyhow, I'll check now....

Nope, it didn't take even though I allowed the change.

Here is the second addy of the wizard--the first one was redirected so fast I couldn't read it.

https://edit.yahoo.com/mobile/landing?intl=us

When I click "exit wizard" it takes me to this page. http://m.www.yahoo.com/ and shows that we are signed in. If I click the "My Yahoo" link on the upper left, it takes me to our usual homepage.