Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

View Poll Results: Educate a child on belonging to an organization that discrimates--Would you?
Not ordinarily. 12 34.29%
Maybe. (Please elaborate.) 2 5.71%
Yes, explain to him and his mother why I won't participate. 8 22.86%
Yes, explain to the child directly why I won't participate. 5 14.29%
Ask permission from his mother to talk to him about the issue. 2 5.71%
Take my issue to the grocery store since he's on their property. 1 2.86%
Ignore the entire situation. 2 5.71%
Tell only the mother why I won't participate. 6 17.14%
Include the rights of Atheists in the discussion. 1 2.86%
It's inappropriate to talk to the child about politics. 11 31.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #1
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation
Default Boy Scouts of America: Is it appropriate to educate a 10 year-old that's soliciting funds for that kind of organization?

I enter the grocery store on my way to work to buy a coffee, a boy stops me and asks if I'll buy some popcorn for his troop. I politely decline--He looks dejected and I feel guilty, but also irritated that I have to even be asked to support such a stupid organization--The mother sits placid a few feet away, totally disengaged and reading a magazine. This has happened twice and both times I wanted to gently explain that I can't put money towards an organization that discriminates.

Twice this week I have been asked to support his organization--Would explaining my reasons for not participating be totally inappropriate? On one hand I feel that I am obligated to be visible and very real ways, like this one--On the other, he's just a kid and doesn't know better.

More on Boyscouts of America:

http://www.dallasvoice.com/boy-scout...r-1087215.html

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-10-19/u...utive?_s=PM:US

Scouts sue city of San Diego: http://www.keennewsservice.com/2010/...oy-scout-case/
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

I think the sooner they learn that diversity isn't a dirty word the better. Who else is he liable to hear it from?
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Cool You're a mean one.....

I'm mean decline explain why and leave..
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
Holly.88

How Do You Identify?:
Male and Unc to my God Son
Preferred Pronoun?:
Him, he, and 'hey, handsome' :P
Relationship Status:
She said "Yes!"

Holly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST ReputationHolly.88 Has the BEST Reputation

I definitely see where you're coming from. I don't buy popcorn from the boy scouts for them same reason. I think its important to remember that the young boys who participating in the boys scout don't join because of the discrimination. They join because they want to be boy scouts. Hell, all I wanted to do when I was in grade school was to be a boy scout! Not to support discrimination, but because I wanted to go camping and shoot bows and arrows with the other boys.

I personally feel that a simple, polite no thank you is the appropriate respone.
Holly.88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Holly.88 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

Here's how I thought it through: The Boy Scouts as a national organization have discriminatory policies. They are also effectively disconnected from the Boy Scouts at Troop level and even at Circle level.

At those levels, where the boy scouts actually are, inclusiveness is a main and explicit goal--and standard practice. The boys who make up a troop are not self-selecting their friends--kids who would never hang out together at school or elsewhere are grouped together in a troop, and loyalty, kindness, respect, etc, are values and attitudes extended to all Scouts.

It's pretty tough to get thrown out of Boy Scouts. Kids with serious behavior problems and other problems are enthusiastically included and accommodated. Boy Scouts are not mean to one another. Behavior of leaders and other troop members model against it very effectively.

I'm included in my son's Boy Scout Troop parents, as is his other mother. I help chaperone their hikes and camp-outs, and I've been invited to become an Assistant Scout Master. (I swear I can hear you guys smirking. >:-)

The point of all this is: I don't think scout, parent, or troop level is an effective or appropriate way to address the discrimination issues. Voice your complaints to the BSA administrative offices. They'll know what you're talking about.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Angel * Femme * Lesbian * Girl * Woman * Slut * Bitch *
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No longer a Virgin Bride to Dreamer ~ May 17th, 2014

Thanked 18,159 Times in 3,632 Posts
Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

It's interesting you write about this.

My organization is a World Peace Org. and the scouts are very much active in many of the activities we do. I have had issue with this and I run the kids program of this org. How can I keep the scouts out? I most certainly cannot nor would I ever want to.

I have spoken about this with people in my org., and generally I ask one of the other staff member to correspond with them. It's hard for me for a number of reasons and I have explained this in great detail to my work peers and director.

Sunday, the scouts were at my event andI had the opportunity to speak with some of the *larger* scout leaders. Afterward one of my co-workers came up to me and asked how I did. Of course I rolled my eyes and laughed and she said... "This is what I love about you." "You can be so political and strong about something, yet you will always be respectful and open minded." Doesn't mean I like it!!!

In my world - I deal with many many religions and organizations which might differ from my self political beliefs and structure. I am given the opportunity to be open about who I am and what I believe and therefore, try and allow the same space - within that structure, I am always hopeful I can educate.

I will NOT ever give money or support the Scouts on a financial level - but I would also NEVER tell those kids, they cannot participate in our activities. These kids are impressionable and we are given the opportunity to teach and to hopefully create an environment in educating them - that we are diverse and we must MUST learn to accept and respect one another, with complete full dignity.

I really really really miss Girl Scout Cookies. I walk away when they are being sold. And my taste buds clearly are fighting me every step of the way.

Julie

http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps4d9fb6c0.jpg

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014

Last edited by Julie; 09-27-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Julie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST ReputationJulie Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapu View Post
Here's how I thought it through: The Boy Scouts as a national organization have discriminatory policies. They are also effectively disconnected from the Boy Scouts at Troop level and even at Circle level.

At those levels, where the boy scouts actually are, inclusiveness is a main and explicit goal--and standard practice. The boys who make up a troop are not self-selecting their friends--kids who would never hang out together at school or elsewhere are grouped together in a troop, and loyalty, kindness, respect, etc, are values and attitudes extended to all Scouts.

It's pretty tough to get thrown out of Boy Scouts. Kids with serious behavior problems and other problems are enthusiastically included and accommodated. Boy Scouts are not mean to one another. Behavior of leaders and other troop members model against it very effectively.

I'm included in my son's Boy Scout Troop parents, as is his other mother. I help chaperone their hikes and camp-outs, and I've been invited to become an Assistant Scout Master. (I swear I can hear you guys smirking. >:-)

The point of all this is: I don't think scout, parent, or troop level is an effective or appropriate way to address the discrimination issues. Voice your complaints to the BSA administrative offices. They'll know what you're talking about.
Tapu?

Do they know you are a Lesbian/Gay?

When my kids were younger, they wanted to participate. I was certainly out at this time and was informed of the scouts policy on Gay people and was not welcome to participate as a parent. Of course at the point - I told my kids they could not participate and why. They were young, but they understood even at that young age, what discrimination was and were really okay about not joining. I had to teach them to be tolerant of their friends who were Scouts.

Just because there are bigots out there, does not mean you have to return the favor.

Julie

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
J. Mason
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Banned 11/9/2011 - Previously banned member back under new name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He and His
Relationship Status:
Single

J. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I am in agreeance with Tapu, to take it to the BSA admin. offices.
J. Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

There's really not anyone who doesn't know I'm gay. Even if we're just standing in a supermarket line together.

But yes, the SM, ASM, and all the scouts and parents know Asa's moms are gay. There are also some Eagle Scouts who are gay and out. They are in Asa's troop, too. (Another unusual grouping of these boys is across age: 12-18.)

How many years ago are you talking wrt being rejected by your son's troop? Because I think rejection was more rampant everywhere than it is now. There have been some rapid changes.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #10
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Mason View Post
I am in agreeance with Tapu, to take it to the BSA admin. offices.
Actually I disagree.

I believe taking it also to the parents is important. Not all parents know or understand the discrimination and the policies of the Scouts (all the Scouts).

Even today, there are parents who do not know - If we are given the opportunity to educate...GENTLY...And not with force or aggression, I believe you will find that many parents will be outraged by what information you give.

THEN - they can certainly voice their concerns on the discrimination (as well) to the BSA and GSA.

@ Tapu -- I would say this was probably the mid 90's.

Julie

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #11
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

Tapu:

If you click on the links in the original post you can read about very recent boy scout assocation-discrimination.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #12
J. Mason
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Banned 11/9/2011 - Previously banned member back under new name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He and His
Relationship Status:
Single

J. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST ReputationJ. Mason Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Actually I disagree.

I believe taking it also to the parents is important. Not all parents know or understand the discrimination and the policies of the Scouts (all the Scouts).

Even today, there are parents who do not know - If we are given the opportunity to educate...GENTLY...And not with force or aggression, I believe you will find that many parents will be outraged by what information you give.

THEN - they can certainly voice their concerns on the discrimination (as well) to the BSA and GSA.

@ Tapu -- I would say this was probably the mid 90's.

Julie
I just see a problem with trying to tell a parent about the situation you never know what you are going to encounter.
J. Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #13
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

In point of fact, the money Boy Scouts earn from popcorn, wreath, etc., sales does NOT go to the National Org. That money is how the troop pays for camp and other activities. It's also used as a scholarship for Scouts' families who would never be able to afford the parent contribution to camp.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #14
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

*from the article:
Now there’s this story to prove that the Boy Scouts’ homophobia isn’t gender specific.

After six years playing an active role in her son’s Boy Scout troup in Potomac Falls, Va., Denise Steele has been kicked out after another Scout’s mother discovered Steele is a lesbian.

Steele started out as a den leader for her son’s Cub Scout troop in elementary school when no one else would do it. Over the next six years, according to the Loudon Times, Steele’s son’s troop excelled at everything, winning the Blue and Gold Award — one of Scouting’s highest awards — for five years running. And when her son moved on up to the Boy Scouts, Steele moved with him.

All was fine until June this year when Steele accompanied her son and his troop on a Saturday-through-Monday camping trip. Because Steele had to work on Monday, her partner, Jackie Funk, showed up on Sunday night to pick her up. Assistant Scout Master Skip Inabinett then asked who the woman was that picked Steele up, and when she found out that Steele is a lesbian, and the woman giving her a ride was her partner, everything changed

Inabinett started with a letter to a friend of Steele’s whose son was also in the troop: “If what you said about Denise Steele being an active (homo)sexual is true, do you feel comfortable talking with her about stepping down/resigning as an ASM … as her friend, this may be an opportunity for you to share with her about Christ’s love and the need to believe that as sinners we cannot get to heaven on our own and that we need a savior.”

Inabinett then proceeded to communicate with Steele herself over the next two weeks, focusing his efforts on telling her that her “lifestyle” is a sin and, according to Funk, bullying Steele to the point of tears....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Mason View Post
I just see a problem with trying to tell a parent about the situation you never know what you are going to encounter.
Well...
Then those who are not comfortable with sharing information and feel they might be at risk - should not tell.

BUT - I will say this.
The end of the road to discrimination on any level, begins with risk and communication.

Look at the Black Panthers - Martin Luther King - Stonewall - Gay Liberation Army - The Suffragets - The list goes on and on.

We cannot expect people to change, if we are not willing to stand up and speak.

Remember the old ACTUP saying?

Silence = Death

It still holds true.

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #16
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by apretty View Post
Tapu:

If you click on the links in the original post you can read about very recent boy scout assocation-discrimination.
And if I go to the Scout meeting tonight, I can experience first-hand the diversity and inclusion in effect.

I separate the troop from the over-arching organization. It's like buying products without driving yourself crazy over whether they're green or use child labor, etc. Except that BSA at the circle level is providing something very very positive for kids.

Sidenote: I don't think explaining your position to a Boy Scout and his mother is going to do anything other than confusing and embarrassing them. Whereas, directing your disagreement to the BSA might.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:00 AM   #17
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Silence = Death, Julie? To a Boy Scout and his mother selling candy? Really?

I think that people such as those in the links, who participate and run into trouble, are the very people making headway for others like me. People lecturing scouts and parents, not so much.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #18
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,496 Times in 1,638 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation

Your poll has loop holes.

I responded multiple times to the poll because sometimes I do ignore...sometimes I might say something to the kid or the mom or both. It depends on the age of the kid and my mood. I've seen the BS people at the grocery store for the last week or so and on Sunday the kid came over to me and screamed "STEELERS" as he noticed I was dressed in my Sunday best. He didn't ask me if I wanted to buy anything, he just high fived me, so that was that.

I definitely don't buy things from the boy scouts because of their discrimination policies. But I'm less likely to converse about why with the kid or the mom as to why.
Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #19
Julie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Silence = Death, Julie? To a Boy Scout and his mother selling candy? Really?
No Tapu!

That was part of my explanation to J. Mason regarding "I just see a problem with trying to tell a parent about the situation you never know what you are going to encounter."

If we stand SILENT - then I believe this is where we are headed.

Julie

I Love You ~ I Love Us
May 17, 2014
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 10:04 AM   #20
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
No Tapu!

That was part of my explanation to J. Mason regarding "I just see a problem with trying to tell a parent about the situation you never know what you are going to encounter."

If we stand SILENT - then I believe this is where we are headed.

Julie

I'm sorry, I don't get the difference. Taking a Silence = Death stance would mean confronting the parent, right?

Ah! You thought I meant that you were advocating SAYING it. No, I meant going at it in that way--confronting the parent.