Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 02-22-2010, 09:42 PM   #81
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Fighting Sullivans, RKO 1944

To me, there is no war picture more heart wrenching than the true story of The Fighting Sullivans.
My hobby is WWII history and classic films, and the story of losing five brothers on the USS Juneau and how it impacted the
nation and military policy (pre-private Ryan) has always had an affect on me— along with the movie which was nominated for Best Story.
I wanted to share the scene when Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan receive a personal visit from three naval officers to deliver the news that their
sons had died. Mr. Sullivan (played by Thomas Mitchell) asks, "which one?" The naval officer (Ward Bond) replies, "All five."
The scene is not available so I'm posting a lighter sequence of the Sullivans as young boys along with other facts.
Enjoy the clip from this great movie, and the memory of the five Sullivan brothers.

The Fighting Sullivans, RKO, 1944

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26zUEV25nmE"]YouTube- Lessons Lost in Today's World - Lesson #64[/ame]

Navy department press release February 2, 1943. The letter of condolence from President Roosevelt to Mrs. Sullivan

Dear Mrs. Sullivan:

"The knowledge that your five gallant sons are missing in action, against the enemy,
inspired me to write you this personal message. I realize full well there is little I can say to assuage your grief.

"As the Commander in Chief of the Army and the Navy, I want you to know that the entire nation shares your sorrow.
I offer you the condolence and gratitude of our country. We, who remain to carry on the fight, must maintain the spirit
in the knowledge that such sacrifice is not in vain. The Navy Department has informed me of the expressed desire of your sons;
George Thomas, Francis Henry, Joseph Eugene, Madison Abel, and Albert Leo, to serve on the same ship.
I am sure, that we all take pride in the knowledge that they fought side by side. As one of your sons wrote,
`We will make a team together that can't be beat.' It is this spirit which in the end must triumph.

"Last March, you, Mrs. Sullivan, were designated to sponsor a ship of the Navy in recognition of your patriotism and that of
your sons. I am to understand that you are, now, even more determined to carry on as sponsorer. This evidence of unselfishness
and courage serves as a real inspiration for me, as I am sure it will for all Americans. Such acts of fate and fortitude in the
face of tragedy convince me of the indomitable spirit and will of our people.

"I send you my deepest sympathy in your hour of trial and pray that in Almighty God you will find a comfort
and help that only He can bring.

Very sincerely yours,

"/s/ Franklin D. Roosevelt"

The Sullivan Brothers

George Thomas Sullivan, 27 (born 14 December 1914), Gunner's Mate Second Class (George had been previously discharged in May 1941 as Gunner's Mate Third Class.)
Francis "Frank" Henry Sullivan, 26 (born 18 February 1916), Coxswain (Frank had been previously discharged in May 1941 as Seaman First Class.)
Joseph "Joe" Eugene Sullivan, 24 (born 28 August 1918), Seaman Second Class
Madison "Matt" Abel Sullivan, 23 (born 8 November 1919), Seaman Second Class
Albert "Al" Leo Sullivan, 20 (born 8 July 1922), Seaman Second Class

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #82
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

I love The Fighting Sullivans, but I think my favorite war, well post-war movie, is 'The Best Years of Our Lives' - great film!! Myrna Loy & Frederic March - it just don't better then that!
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #83
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
I love The Fighting Sullivans, but I think my favorite war, well post-war movie, is 'The Best Years of Our Lives' - great film!! Myrna Loy & Frederic March - it just don't better then that!
The Best Years of Our Lives IS MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF ALLLLLLL TIME. I have the movie, the main title, and iI've seen it like 100 times. The best movie ever, and the best from William Wyler, my idol.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #84
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Default Quick correction-The Fighting Sullivans

The Fighting Sullivans was released through Republic Pictures, not RKO.
helps if i type in the right studio, heh.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:22 AM   #85
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

My def. of film noire: fist fights and their hats never fall off.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:37 AM   #86
Petal Soft

Gilda Rita Hayworth

The scene when you see her for the first time and she looks up and flicks all that glorious hair back, now thats REAL GLAMOUR!!

~~~petal~~~
Old 02-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #87
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Great
CLEFTS

Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #88
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

Edited to add: I've googled Rita's bio, and they all say she was born in Brookly, NY - now I've read dif versions of her origins, so who knows which version is true...

Hi, Petal - ol' classic movie fanatic here!!!

Yeah, I love that shot!!!

Little known fact about Rita - she was Spanish. Her real name was Rita Cansino. She had jet black hair with a very prominent 'widow's peak' on her forhead removed via electrolisis. Then her tresses were colored the red she became famous for. Intensive speach and eloqution lessons got rid of her Spanish accent. She had been a dancer in Spain - teamed with her brother - a skill and talent that served her well in Hollywood.

She'd been married to Orson Welles - le enfant terrible, and directorial genius, and consumate actor as well. Then she married Ali Khan, and became America's first princess (no, it wasn't Grace Kelly - Rita was the first.).

Poor Rita was struck with Altzheimers desease, and died quite young - I think in her 50's. Her daughter, Jasmin (issue of Rita's marriage to Ali Kahn), was a very big advocate and spokesperson for the Altzheimer's Desease organization.

Rita, bomshell and beloved by us all!! We remember and love you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petal Soft View Post
Gilda Rita Hayworth

The scene when you see her for the first time and she looks up and flicks all that glorious hair back, now thats REAL GLAMOUR!!

~~~petal~~~
The Following User Says Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #89
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

LOL, oh stop!!! The best description of Noir is dark, wet, sleek streets, shadows and dark alleys that go nowhere - deadend streets with no light...and the ongoing angst of the characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jet View Post
My def. of film noire: fist fights and their hats never fall off.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #90
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Two 'stepchild' studios...add Columbia, usually rated in the same category. However, they never saw it coming when 'It Happened One Night' won the Oscar for best picture, plus 4 more Oscars that year! Not bad for a 'sleeper' film, and MGM's 'punishment' for Clark Gable, and Colbert's 'fill-in' between films and her vacation!!!

Quote:
The Fighting Sullivans was released through Republic Pictures, not RKO.
helps if i type in the right studio, heh.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #91
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Just finished watchin A Duel In The Sun - Jennifer Jones at her best, IMO. I love this movie, because I love Jennifer Jones. The scenes at the end of the movie are the best - such passion!! Love/Hate at it's best. I've never seen anything to compare with those last scenes of this film - the music score enhances the momentum and drama - an exceptional film on all counts!!! Gregory Peck - Mr. Nice Guy, in a devilish and 'bad-boy' role, and Joseph Cotton with his smooth, velvety voice as the 'good' brother, is also exceptional in this film - one of my favorites!

Now playing on TCM: 'Indescretion of an American Housewife' - Jennifer Jones again. Terrific movie, add Monty Cliff, and it's a 'must-see' addition to your list!! Monty Cliff is in a category all his own which I won't go into right now!!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:12 PM   #92
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Just finished watchin A Duel In The Sun - Jennifer Jones at her best, IMO. I love this movie, because I love Jennifer Jones. The scenes at the end of the movie are the best - such passion!! Love/Hate at it's best. I've never seen anything to compare with those last scenes of this film - the music score enhances the momentum and drama - an exceptional film on all counts!!! Gregory Peck - Mr. Nice Guy, in a devilish and 'bad-boy' role, and Joseph Cotton with his smooth, velvety voice as the 'good' brother, is also exceptional in this film - one of my favorites!

Now playing on TCM: 'Indescretion of an American Housewife' - Jennifer Jones again. Terrific movie, add Monty Cliff, and it's a 'must-see' addition to your list!! Monty Cliff is in a category all his own which I won't go into right now!!
She's a beauty and married to Selznick. hey, seriously, when you think about it, watch fist fights. 9 times out of 10 their hats stay on lol...i'm being silly, comrade.

cya at the movies
Old 02-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #93
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

I know, comrade, you're entitled...why am I feeling like Ninochka??? lol

Quote:
She's a beauty and married to Selznick. hey, seriously, when you think about it, watch fist fights. 9 times out of 10 their hats stay on lol...i'm being silly, comrade.

cya at the movies
Old 02-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #94
Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible, but only up to a point.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,701 Times in 737 Posts
Julien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST Reputation

Hi,
I thought I would stop by after a very kind invitation. I teach Film Studies and love the classic films. I would like to join in for the discussion.
Graphiteta2s

“Self-plagiarism is style.” Alfred Hitchcock

Formerly known as Graphiteta2s
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Julien For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2010, 08:15 PM   #95
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

You are more then welcome, Graphita2, thanks for joining us!! Would love to hear from someone who's experienced in the classic movie rhelm...please do come join in the discussion.

I am presently watching 'Anne Frank's Diary' - great film, outstanding actors. Anyone care to disuss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphiteta2s View Post
Hi,
I thought I would stop by after a very kind invitation. I teach Film Studies and love the classic films. I would like to join in for the discussion.
Graphiteta2s
Old 02-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #96
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Saw 'Room at the Top' this morning...couldn't sleep. Great performances by Lawrence Harvey, and Simone Signoret - two under-rated actors, at least in American film IMO. Signoret was probably bigger in France, her native country. Harvey, a British import, has done some wonderful films in the US. 'The Manchrian Candidate' (1962) being his tour-de-force IMO - steller cast as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 12:29 PM   #97
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hitchcock preferred blondes.

Eva Marie Saint, North by Northwest
Tippi Hedren, Marnie, The Birds
Janet Leigh, Psycho
Madeliene Carrol, The 39 Steps
Joan Fontaine, Rebecca, Suspicion
Doris Day, The Man Who Knew Too Much
Grace Kelly, Dial M For Murder, To Catch a Thief, Rear Window
Kim Novak, Vertigo
Pricilla Lane, Saboteur
Tallulah Bankhead, Spellbound

| | |

| |

| |

This is awesome! Before we moved, our neighbor "Johnboy" had quite the few chickens. He named them all after Hitchcock's "chicks". We of course gave him mostly all things Hitchcockian for gifts... Christmas/ birthdays, etc.

Great collection of photos! Thanks
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #98
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Saw 'Room at the Top' this morning...couldn't sleep. Great performances by Lawrence Harvey, and Simone Signoret - two under-rated actors, at least in American film IMO. Signoret was probably bigger in France, her native country. Harvey, a British import, has done some wonderful films in the US. 'The Manchrian Candidate' (1962) being his tour-de-force IMO - steller cast as well.

The first French woman to win the Oscar for that in the late 50s. Sexy as hell, I remember her in Ship of Fools (I believe)
Old 02-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #99
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Yes, sexy as hell, esp in 'Room at the Top'. Besides the Oscar, she also won the Cannes Film Festival award for this film as well.

Did you see her in 'Games' (1967) with Katherine Ross, James Caan. It was an intriguing film, with a strange twist at the end...good movie.

Quote:
The first French woman to win the Oscar for that in the late 50s. Sexy as hell, I remember her in Ship of Fools (I believe)
Old 02-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #100
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
I know. You didn't read my post right. I said an Oscar for Room at the Top.
I was remembering her in Ship of Fools