Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Politics And Law

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation
Default US Constitution: 1st Amendment

I wanted to find out from others, particularly Americans, the definition of "free speech". I often see (mostly in forums) people crying out how their freedom of speech is being violated when some mod or someone else "thumps" (for lack of a better word) them in conversation. While I love hearing others opinions, I recognize that "free speech", as per the Constitution, is about the gov't silencing someone and not a private forum.

From the US Constitution:

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
What puzzles me is how this was translated for the Internet and meant that one could talk about anything. Granted, the original inception of the 'Net was to share information (originally scientific and then into various star trek newsgroups like alt.wesley.crusher.die.die.die), I'm not sure it was meant to be so open as to let anything go.

Opinions? Thoughts?

(I've put this thread here for now but recognize it can/could get heated. I put it here in hopes that those who don't like the Red Zone will also comment but if it gets too heated, it may be moved to there).

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote