Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 09:38 AM   #861
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

“All the world loves a lover” ........

This is derived from an essay on love by the American philosopher Ralph Waldo Emerson. It means people are always happy to see a couple in love.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #862
Femmewench

How Do You Identify?:
Casual Femme Saphiosexual
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
Divorced

Thanked 1,277 Times in 331 Posts
Femmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST Reputation

I love discovering the origin of phrases we use today with absolutely no idea of why they came about.

"Don't throw the baby out with the bath water." always intrigued me since I could attribute that to nothing within my own experience or anything I'd read.

I love Lucy Worsley (check her out on YouTube) because I get answers on things like this.

When baths were a weekly thing, the order of bathing was father, mother, eldest child down to youngest child. They were all bathing in the same water, so by the time it was the baby's turn the water might well have been dark enough that you could throw the bathwater out not having seen the baby was still in it.

Anyone else grateful for modern plumbing?
Old 09-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #863
Femmewench

How Do You Identify?:
Casual Femme Saphiosexual
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
Divorced

Thanked 1,277 Times in 331 Posts
Femmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST Reputation

Again, Lucy Worsley.

"They don't have a pot to piss in." Contextually, I understood this to mean someone was poor (I was about to say dirt poor, but I'm not sure of the origin of that. Something I'll have to look up.)

Centuries ago, one way of earning money was to collect the urine from the household chamber pots or whatever they were called at the time. If you didn't have a pot to collect the urine in to sell for a source of income, you didn't have a pot to piss in.

I love weird stuff like this.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #864
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

Thanked 32,009 Times in 9,947 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Very True. :)

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything

This phrase is not exactly an idiom but it's an often used strand of thought which traces it's roots back to early 1900s use, right before the Great Depression, and was also used during the days of WW2.... It's been resurrected again in popular culture via the country western artist Aaron Tippin.

To discover more interesting ideas about this particular phrase, please see the link provided.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/02/18/stand-fall/

_____ ______
Old 09-02-2017, 02:39 AM   #865
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

"Have Bigger Fish To Fry"...........

To have something more important or more interesting to do.
Old 09-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #866
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"You're Right On The Money"...............

Exactly right or correct.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:00 AM   #867
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Cut A Rug".;................

To dance.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:02 AM   #868
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Sweep Under The Rug/Carpet"...................

To hide something damaging or unpleasant and try to keep it secret.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:16 AM   #869
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"To Take The Starch Out Of Someone"

To reduce someone's ego or conceit, to deflate someone.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:17 AM   #870
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,125 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

comme si comme sa Spanish for so- so good nor bad
Old 09-05-2017, 05:19 AM   #871
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"A Stuffed Shirt..............

Someone, especially a man, who behaves in a formal, old-fashioned way and thinks they are very important.
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 05:21 AM   #872
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"A Party Pooper.....................

Someone who spoils other people's enjoyment of social activities by being unhappy or by refusing to become involved and join in the fun.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:23 AM   #873
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Spoilsport"........................

A person who spoils the pleasure of other people by his or her actions or attitudes.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:23 AM   #874
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,125 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

sight unseen !! <<< internet shopping lolol
Old 09-05-2017, 07:20 AM   #875
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

.....To turn the prevailing tide.....

A phrase which means that you desire conditions to improve, get better.

_____ ______
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 07:25 AM   #876
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

...... Come what may.......

To state that you're in it for the long haul, no matter the outcome, that you're committed to seeing it through.

_____ ______
Old 09-05-2017, 07:30 AM   #877
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

...... to take the high road .....

To infer that you'd rather exercise a choice to do what's right, not only for yourself, but for the overall good of yourself or others.

Sidebar: I'm not exactly fond of this idiom because there's no need really to assert your position. For example, just do the right thing and don't call attention to it. In other words, don't let one hand dictate what the other hand does. Just do it (nike).

_____ ______
Old 09-05-2017, 08:06 AM   #878
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

..... Make it count .....

Not sure that I like this saying either, but I've heard it used by preachers, church going folks, or by anyone in general. And like some turns of phrase, it can mean almost anything, depending on the way the 'message' is delivered (ie, tone of voice, facial expression, point of entry or exit in use).

I've heard it used in pejorative ways more often than I've heard it expressed in positive terms.

Take what works for you, toss out what doesn't.

_____ ______
Old 09-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #879
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Don't Burn Your Bridges" ......

It means that we should always leave situations in good standing, as we may need something from the person in the future.

Sidebar: "Don't burn your bridges," comes from military strategy. It means one should always leave a way to retreat when going into battle.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:38 PM   #880
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Keep Your Cards Close To Your Vest/Chest............

To keep to oneself, to be secretive, to be very cautious in one's dealing with people and giving nothing much or nothing at all away (as if one were playing cards and not permitting anyone to see any of their cards).
Closed Thread