Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #21
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

I rarely use ketchup because of the sugar content, and the low carb variety simply tastes like tomato paste to me....

Because I love words so much, here was my first thought when I saw your thread:

Origin of word

The word ketchup is derived from the Chinese ke-tsiap, a pickled fish sauce. It made its way to Malaysia where it became kechap and ketjap in Indonesia. Catsup and catchup are acceptable spellings used interchangably with ketchup, however, ketchup is the way it is popularly used. "Catsup", which dates to the same time, may well be a different Romanization of the same word, trying to come closer to a sound that doesn't really exist in English.

In the 1800s, "ketchup" was most common in Britain and "catsup" was most common in the US for reasons unknown. The two words never really canceled each other out because in their formative years, there weren't spelling dictionaries choosing a "correct" version of words. (Many Americans pronounced "catsup" the same as "ketchup" in any case.) Today, "ketchup" is the dominant term in both countries, though "catsup" still has its strongholds, especially in the southern US.
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 11:37 AM   #22
CeriseNin

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
a dragon's damsel

CeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST Reputation

It's kinda funny that I don't post here since...forever, but a thread about ketchup draws me out.

-facepalm-
CeriseNin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CeriseNin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #23
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

I'm with you on this one. I dont use ketchup at all, so I never bought it. So, someone on this site is eating 9 bottles a year. LOL.

Now I'm going to be observing ketchup usage among members at the Reunion.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #24
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Best way to eat ketchup: MEATLOAF
Old 07-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #25
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Ketchup is vile, absolutely vile. Cannot stand it and don't like the way many people cover it over their food (I tend to have rather intolerant food habits). That said, I'd instinctively opt for Heinz over other brands because of the old Heinz - Joe DiMaggio story.

I like, in limited usage, HP sauce (not sure if it's widely available across the pond) and hot English mustard. I also love mayonnaise on french fries.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 01:30 PM   #26
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,973 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
I like, in limited usage, HP sauce (not sure if it's widely available across the pond) and hot English mustard. I also love mayonnaise on french fries.
love me some hp sauce, and hot english mustard is all i buy.

and mayo on fries rawks out loud!!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #27
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

This thread has me wanting to can my own ketchup now. hmm.... I wonder..

I don't use it too much. I like it on hot dogs, rarely fries. When I see people put ketchup on hash browns I want to cry for the hash browns. . Sometimes mixed with mayo to make that pink dipping sauce for tater tots. Mostly on my burgers I love mayo/mustard (anything that gets close to Burgerville sauce makes me swoon).
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #28
stepfordfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Femme-inist.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female ones :)
Relationship Status:
I really really like someone.

stepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputationstepfordfemme Has the BEST Reputation
Default Ketchup Lover

Just sayin that it might be me who's going through 9 bottles of ketchup a year.

Love it. Like disgusting amounts. Heinz for sure in the giant Costco sized bottles

Yup. Haters gonna hate
Old 07-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
not2shygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
as a Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
under the cover of starry starry nights...enjoying a warm fire in the pit !

Thanked 2,454 Times in 546 Posts
not2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Default love me some katsup!!

Oh the sloppy-er the burger is with ketchup rolling off the sides and over your fingers makes for one of the bestest burgers! Give it to me sloppy BABY and hold the bacon and cheese!

Oh, BTW I was born and raised in Pittsburgh Pa. home of Heinz Ketchup! and many other Heinz varieties!! Sometimes how you were raised just can't be changed! <wink>

Last edited by not2shygrrl; 07-15-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: spelling
not2shygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to not2shygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #30
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

I don't really use ketchup, unless a recipe calls for it. When I do buy it, I buy Heinz (ARE there other brands?? lol)

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #31
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Ketchup makers give customers choices

June 2, 2012 12:00 am
By Teresa F. Lindeman / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Maybe ketchup fans aren't all that focused on high fructose corn syrup, after all.

ConAgra Foods, maker of Hunt's ketchup, made a bold move a couple of years ago by switching away from the controversial sweetener in favor of traditional sugar. The Omaha, Neb., company said at the time that it was changing "in direct response to consumer demand."

But that was then. A company spokeswoman confirmed this week that ConAgra has switched back, although it will still offer an option for those consumers who are avoiding high fructose corn syrup.

"Yes, we made a recent ingredient change to Hunt's ketchup, but will continue offering our 100 percent natural line that contains table sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup," said Lanie Friedman.

She added, "Overall, consumer demand for the high fructose corn syrup-free ketchup was not as strong as expected."

The company's new approach appears closer to the strategy adopted by Pittsburgh food maker -- and dominant U.S. ketchup maker -- H.J. Heinz Co., which more than two years ago introduced a Simply Heinz ketchup product made with sugar instead of altering the sweetener in its main ketchup offering.

A Heinz spokeswoman said giving customers choices to fit their lifestyle and dietary needs seems to be working. In addition to the version made with sugar, there are organic, no-salt and reduced sugar varieties.

"By offering a range of options while keeping our traditional Heinz ketchup at the heart of our lineup, consumers can enjoy the great taste of Heinz ketchup no matter what their lifestyle needs may be," Jessica Jackson said. "Simply Heinz is our most popular lifestyle variety today and is widely available at most major retailers nationwide."

Nationally, the debate over whether one form of sweetener is healthier than the other is likely to continue, and manufacturers will keep trying to determine where to place their bets.

For a couple of years now, any discussion of ketchup on the Heinz Facebook page has drawn a comment or two from someone avoiding high fructose corn syrup. Just this week, when the company asked for feedback on its Dip & Squeeze condiment package, commenter Alan Wilkes posted, "Not until you remove High Fructose Corn Syrup...."

One bid to alter the debate by changing the name of the sweetener ran into a setback this week. The Food and Drug Administration rejected a request from the Corn Refiners Association to authorize "corn sugar" as an alternate name for high fructose corn syrup.

Among its reasons for turning down the petition, the FDA said sugar is a "solid, dried and crystallized food," but syrup is an "aqueous solution or liquid food." So using the term "sugar" would not accurately describe the food or its properties.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...38589/?print=1

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #32
willow
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
sugar and spice
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 6,751 Times in 1,837 Posts
willow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputation

Ketchup is ok, I don't hate the stuff but I rarely want it on my food. But, once in a blue moon I just have to have it! The bottle in my cupboard is small and when it's finished, or when I throw it out because I can't remember how old it is, I'll buy another small bottle in whichever shop I happen to be in when I think of it. Store own brands are fine, no ketchup snobbery here.

Just last week I threw out an unopened bottle of HP sauce 6months out of date. Dunno when it was bought, I don't remember buying it, but I clearly did! lol

The mayo light in the fridge is still in date, pretty sure. I usually buy a couple (maybe 3 if I have a BBQ) of the squeezy bottled stuff per year.

Other peoples condiment habits don't bother me unless they are being an arse about it. "I can't possibly eat this burger/fries/sausage butty, because it isn't dripping in ketchup!!" Really? Well there isn't any. Get a grip.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs11/i/20...ockAvatars.gif

willow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #33
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,619 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I rarely use condiments on my food. If I eat a hot dog, I use mustard, saurekraut and mashed potatoes, if I am in the mood for something special. If its naked, I will use ketchup but thats more for lubrication than taste. The dryness of the bun and hot dog makes me gag. Remember, i had surgery to super tighten my hiatus and it is hard for me to swallow most foods without some extra effort.

For hamburgers, i eat them without even a bun. IF I eat them with a bun, I use ketchup but have to have onions to cover the taste of the ketchup.

If I eat a fast food bought hamburger, its like eating oatmeal to me. its not real meat. Its not a real burger. Its a mess of psuedoflavors. Its for filling purposes only, not nutritional nor taste value.

I dont care what brand. As long as its not the damn green or purple stuff they manufactured awhile ago.

my sub eats ketchup like its gods gift to the world. I broke him of putting it on everything I cooked until he at least tasted it. But nothing compared to the Cock....its some kind of sauce that has a rooster on its bottle...spicy sauce. I wont use it. I cant tolerate spicy stuff. And this stuff is only found in one store in our area...and we are almost out. I dont care. He can go buy it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 05:59 PM   #34
not2shygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
as a Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:

not2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Default ketchup in colors!!

Yup, sure did! Years back (maybe 8 or 9-ish) Heinz made multiple colors in katsup. I remember green, and purple as well as the traditional red. Does any one else remember this?

Also, before they fluffed up the spicy ketchup bottles, the spicy ketchup was pretty good and often used as a starter for a bbq sauce!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to not2shygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #35
Beloved

How Do You Identify?:
alive
Preferred Pronoun?:
um
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 1,653 Times in 298 Posts
Beloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Do they still make spicy ketchup? I'm intrigued. I don't buy ketchup very much but I'm interested in that.
Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beloved For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #36
not2shygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
as a Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:

Default ummmm that would be a....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beloved View Post
Do they still make spicy ketchup? I'm intrigued. I don't buy ketchup very much but I'm interested in that.
They sure do, and I think a variety of it is organic. I have noticed through family members that often there are varieties or new varieties available to the tri-state area that are not always available elsewhere. The spicy ketchup is a pretty good variation of traditional ketchup.
The Following User Says Thank You to not2shygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #37
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I have a question:

How many Heinz people versus Hunts people do we have?

Medusa
HEINZ-girl, all the way!
OK! I have a to confess something. I love Del-Monte Green Beans with Del-Monte Ketchup. I know it's weird but it's me! Red on the other hand likes to dip potato chips into Ketchup. I ordered her some Ketchup flavored Walkers Crisps from Great Britain but it wasn't the same. Now for me I love all of the Walkers Crisps. They are wonderful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #38
Syr

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Syr

Thanked 1,130 Times in 217 Posts
Syr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I have a question:

How many Heinz people versus Hunts people do we have?

Medusa
HEINZ-girl, all the way!
Heinz all the way. There is no comparison IMO. And it's good on almost everything except fried eggs. For some reason that is gross to me.
Syr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Syr For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #39
deedarino

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Woman
Relationship Status:
In recovery.

Thanked 1,956 Times in 497 Posts
deedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

So, someone on this site is eating 9 bottles a year. LOL.

This would be me. And I will take anyone else's share if they dont want it ;-)
Squint your eyes and look closer. I'm not between you and your ambitions. I am a poster girl with no poster. I am thirty-two flavors and then some. And I'm beyond your peripheral vision, so you might want to turn your head~Ani

I want to think again
of dangerous and noble things;
I want to be light and frolicsome;
I want to be improbable, beautiful
and afraid of nothing as if I had wings

Mary Oliver
deedarino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deedarino For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #40
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,685 Times in 7,714 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by not2shygrrl View Post
Yup, sure did! Years back (maybe 8 or 9-ish) Heinz made multiple colors in katsup. I remember green, and purple as well as the traditional red. Does any one else remember this?

Also, before they fluffed up the spicy ketchup bottles, the spicy ketchup was pretty good and often used as a starter for a bbq sauce!
Yes, not2...I sure DO remember those colors....chuckling.....my late wife...bless her soul. I always made her dinner every evening before waking her to go to her job as ER Charge Nurse nights. Well I saw the "new colors" and bought the green and purple ones. I made her hamburgers...put the green one on hers...and it dripped down the corners of her mouth...dying her mouth green streaks..she was none too happy with me..but I got a chuckle out of it..she wore that stuff a couple days before it came off...she was more careful with the purple one..lol...thanks for that memory....