Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 08-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #181
yotlyolqualli

How Do You Identify?:
submissive femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
moving forward and not looking back... anything is possible!

Thanked 1,271 Times in 184 Posts
yotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputationyotlyolqualli Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
but i do know a lot of people who don't realize the damage that overexercising or undereating or maintaining an extremely low body fat % can do to their bodies because it's not talked about as much, and i wish that i had known and had someone to support me, so i felt the need to speak up at least. i also really worry about that kind of standard being glorified here.

With all due respect, this bugged me.

There's a thread here, I believe it's entitled "the fat positive lounge"

Now, there is nothing wrong with accepting and loving yourself, no matter WHAT size you are. However, could it not be said that that thread is glorifying a certain standard as well?

I believe that no matter what size you are, you should be treated with respect and not bombarded with how "unhealthy" you are.

Being overweight or obese is BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH!

Being underweight or anorexic is BAD FOR YOUR HEALTH!

One extreme, is just as unhealthy as the other.

Having said that, each person is responsible for their own health. They have the option of seeing a doctor, they also have the option of not seeing one. It is up to each individual and their health care provider, to decide what is healthy and what isn't healthy, not the general public.

Even then, if people here are physicians or health care providers (I know there are some here) until they actually see the patient (individual) even their "expert opinion" is just that, an opinion and doctor's are not always right.

Case in point. I had a gastric bypass in 2007. We were told, in no uncertain terms, that post surgery, and, for the most part, the rest of our lives, we would not be able to take any OTC pain relievers with blood thinners in them, OR prescribed medications with blood thinners in them.

When I came out of the anesthesia, morphine wasn't taking care of the pain (we know now that morphine just does not work with me) the recovery room doctor and RN tried to force a percoset (sp?) on me!

Later, after having had an stomach ulcer and a gastric hemhorage(?) my PCP STILL prescribed prescription strength naproxen for pain.

Anyway...

I don't think it's in any way fair to judge someone's looks or health by what size they are, no matter if they are big or small.

Just my two cents worth.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:57 PM   #182
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

i'm really sorry that i posted any of that. genuinely and sincerely, because i really hate it when people say things like that to me. i can't go back and unpost it or delete it, but i wanted to apologize. i'm really, extremely freaked out by this but i should have kept that to myself and not put it on other people.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #183
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

I think that we all have an opinion, I'm not gonna slam someone because of it, I open my mouth at times too. We're human. I think that we all want Steph to be in a healthy place, and that's ok. Policing how she does it isn't our business.

I love it that the community cares enough to encourage her, without the judgement.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #184
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

I think they did the pinch method to me in boot camp back in '92 - and I think they used an instrument and they did it on my upper arm. That was so long ago (my 20yr anniversary of boot camp was this past May), I cant believe I can even begin to remember it! Seemed weird then and it seems weird now, but what did/do I know, I aint no scientist! lol

My Wii Fit Plus and the VA go by my height and weight to determine my BMI now, but I think a lot of health clubs, personal trainers, sports organizations, etc still use the pinch method - I wonder if maybe it gives a more accurate measurement.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 09:31 PM   #185
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I think they did the pinch method to me in boot camp back in '92 - and I think they used an instrument and they did it on my upper arm. That was so long ago (my 20yr anniversary of boot camp was this past May), I cant believe I can even begin to remember it! Seemed weird then and it seems weird now, but what did/do I know, I aint no scientist! lol

My Wii Fit Plus and the VA go by my height and weight to determine my BMI now, but I think a lot of health clubs, personal trainers, sports organizations, etc still use the pinch method - I wonder if maybe it gives a more accurate measurement.
Actually no the tank method gives a more accurate measurement. The pinch is generally used only in doctors offices because of the expense of the tank.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #186
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotlyolqualli View Post
With all due respect, this bugged me.

There's a thread here, I believe it's entitled "the fat positive lounge"

Now, there is nothing wrong with accepting and loving yourself, no matter WHAT size you are. However, could it not be said that that thread is glorifying a certain standard as well?
No, actually. Fat positive space is a result of the social stigma of fat and not because anyone is glorifying an unattainable obese-standard that's spread across every form of media.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #187
QueenofSmirks

How Do You Identify?:
Just Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Busy

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,920 Times in 879 Posts
QueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishah View Post
although i am curious how you are surviving with 3% body fat. just cannot wrap my brain around that.

I realize we are talking about gender differences, but my father (who is a runner) has 3% body fat, and although he's very fit, he is by no means "skinny", just fit. He also isn't that tall (5'7" I think) so that probably factors into it.

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." Christopher Morley
QueenofSmirks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to QueenofSmirks For This Useful Post: