suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
So strange. I guess it is because I know my son is grown, and responsible and makes a good living and able to take good care of himself and his family that my main concern is about things like "What to do with my fur-kids while I have joint replacement surgeries?" (long recovery times and I need four of them!). And I think about dying and making sure I have things written out about their placement and care (or the pets of my future).

LOL, you have no idea how many times I tell my son- "You have to promise you will take care of Ranocchio (my little Frog Dog, Frenchie) and take the cats to Linda (my niece who loves cats)". He gives me a bad time and says... "See, you love them more than me!" But, I know he will do these things. He is a dog lover and has 2 sweet Labs.

I am someone that has spent all of my working life in working with people and in education- all "people jobs and careers." Yet, at this time in my life, I honesly like fur-people over humans most of the time! I have less and less patience with people! Sure, my dearest friends and family, I adore. But, being with my fur-sons is best! There is no way that I will even date a woman that doesn't love both dogs and cats. Don't care how supa' she is! No pet adoration, no date!
Oh, I hear you on this one! When I was diagnosed with cancer two years ago the first thing I did was to make sure that there were people to look after my animals both during my recovery, and "just in case"! And I have got to be the luckiest woman alive, because after all that I met my girl, and she is just as big an animal lover as I am. Between the two of us we presently have seven foster kitties and seven - soon to be eight shelter/rescue dogs and cats. So they're still out there! Don't give up!
suebee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suebee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #62
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,864 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am allergic to cats, for one thing, but I generally don't have to worry about having a big reaction if they're in a store or somewhere where their fur is not in my face, or I don't have to have my head on something where they've been.

I, personally, like the idea of having animals around, as long as they are friendly and won't bite, etc. Heck, if it were practical, I'd take my two White's Tree Frogs, Myra and Ivan, with me when I went out, but they probably would not enjoy themselves.

I could totally see myself driving down the road, or in a Home Depot with Ivan on one shoulder and Myra on the other.

...and, I've never heard of anyone being allergic to frogs.

~Theo~
Old 11-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #63
cuddlyfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her/she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,270 Posts
cuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputationcuddlyfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I have 4 cats who don't travel any place with me...they wouldn't like it even though I'd love to take them with me. But, when I go to a store and see people with their pets, that always makes me happy, unlike seeing people's kids which always makes me crabby when they are yelling and running around. I do understand about people with allergies and how being around pets can trigger allergies/astma attacks. I think the places that are pet friendly are great and I frequent those stores. Hopefully more places will become pet friendly...although I understand about restaurants and cafe's not wanting pets in the area.
cuddlyfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:00 AM   #64
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

A few resources for finding pet friendly places when you travel:

http://www.fidofriendly.com/

http://www.dogfriendly.com/

http://www.petfriendlytravel.com/

http://www.puppytravel.com/

http://www.pettravelcenter.com/

http://www.pettravel.com/

http://www.petswelcome.com/
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #65
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 4,261 Times in 677 Posts
Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation

We've just arrived home from a week long visit to Somerset in the West Country. Not only were W/we able to take O/our two Yorkies with U/us - W/we stayed in a beautiful, 400 year old thatched roof cottage located in the prettiest of villages - but they were allowed into every single bar/restaurant that we went to, both there and in neighbouring villages, and would have been allowed into the majority of those that W/we didn't, judging from the 'Dogs welcome' signs outside. (Equally surprising was the fact that W/we could even take them into the Caves at Cheddar Gorge (free of charge) and on the Lynton/Lynmouth water powered cliff railway (again, free of charge).)

I tell you, there's a lot to be said for country living.

Words
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Words For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2010, 05:27 PM   #66
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

I live in Florida and rent a house here. Have never had a problem with my dog being refused access. Apartments here generally have a size limit of 2o lbs. as well as a pet deposit, but do not charge a monthly rent for the dogs, generally. Rental houses generally charge a pet deposit and some have a size/breed restriction, but most just have breed restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstixgal View Post
I live in NJ and we have some dog parks around but if you want to rent it is hard to find a pet friendly place. I have two dogs so I don't know where to move. I know that Flroida is pet friendly everywhere I looked took dogs apartments that is I don't know about houses yet. Still looking for jobs in florida before I move there!!

Hope everyone finds a good place for their pet to take along with!!
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #67
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranzman View Post
I live in Florida and rent a house here. Have never had a problem with my dog being refused access. Apartments here generally have a size limit of 2o lbs. as well as a pet deposit, but do not charge a monthly rent for the dogs, generally. Rental houses generally charge a pet deposit and some have a size/breed restriction, but most just have breed restrictions.
Thanks for letting me know about the houses I will look into that unless I have to sell my house here in NJ first then will be able to move until then I don't know what I am going to do!!
lipstixgal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lipstixgal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #68
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

Craigslist is a good place to look for rentals, just in case you do move to FL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstixgal View Post
Thanks for letting me know about the houses I will look into that unless I have to sell my house here in NJ first then will be able to move until then I don't know what I am going to do!!
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #69
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words View Post
We've just arrived home from a week long visit to Somerset in the West Country. Not only were W/we able to take O/our two Yorkies with U/us - W/we stayed in a beautiful, 400 year old thatched roof cottage located in the prettiest of villages - but they were allowed into every single bar/restaurant that we went to, both there and in neighbouring villages, and would have been allowed into the majority of those that W/we didn't, judging from the 'Dogs welcome' signs outside. (Equally surprising was the fact that W/we could even take them into the Caves at Cheddar Gorge (free of charge) and on the Lynton/Lynmouth water powered cliff railway (again, free of charge).)

I tell you, there's a lot to be said for country living.

Words
We just came back from two weeks in Europe (primarily Yorkshire, and Stow-on-wold)...amazing how everywhere (pubs, stores, Castles) allowed dogs! They are such a part of the culture and family in the country,
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #70
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

I live in a very pet friendly area - our "dog park" is a 7 acre bit of land owned by the city. They recently had a doggy halloween parade up there.
Its beautiful and a great place to take dogs. And there is an enormous bike-trail network that runs through all of the neighboring towns which, again, is fantastic for dog owners.

Both of my current work-places have an open-door dog policy; though dogs only come to work in the summer months at the school due to allergy issues during the school year.

Provincetown is also a fabulous dog-friendly town. I think it was voted 'most dog friendly town' in America in 2010. A huge number of hotels/motels/b&b's and cottage rentals allow dogs. Public beaches allow dogs (on leash), there is a dog park and many restaurants allow them in the al fresco dining areas.

Having traveled cross-country one way with two cats (so *not* fun for anyone, btw) and then back the other way with one dog....I was very impressed with Starwood Hotels (W, Westin, Sheraton etc); each place accommodated my pets graciously.
Old 11-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #71
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 4,261 Times in 677 Posts
Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTinkerbelly View Post
We just came back from two weeks in Europe (primarily Yorkshire, and Stow-on-wold)...amazing how everywhere (pubs, stores, Castles) allowed dogs! They are such a part of the culture and family in the country,
I agree. Very different from town/city living. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that out in the country, dogs are such a necessity in terms of warding of feelings of isolation? Plus, of course, dogs are also used for work purposes.

Either way, it's going to be hard to adapt to returning to an area where so many restrictions apply in terms of dog accessibility.

Words
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Words For This Useful Post: