Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Oh yeah, 911 was BAD.

I was working 2 overlapping jobs at that point. One was as a Project Manager in the Engineering department of a major telephone company and the other was my part-time at the airport for a major airline.

I got slammed on both ends.

During the day, I would get a plethora of complaints both internal and external about the lack of phone service in and around NYC and at night it would be irate people demanding to fly to NYC even though all planes were grounded.

I remember one dude at the airport threatening to "whip my ass" if I did'nt get him to Islip, NY THAT EVENING. I was so tired and overwhelmed with the news that one of our relief pilots had been killed in the United Airlines flight that I just looked at the guy and took off my name badge and threw my hands in the air and said, "Well come the fuck on then. You wanna whip my ass? Just come ON! Just come right over this counter and start whipping because I just need an excuse at this point to bust you upside your damn head."

There was a line of people behind him who heard me go off on him and several people who stepped up and told that guy to get out of my face and to get his shit together. One lady even took a bottle of water out of her bag and gave it to me.

There were only 2 of us at the airport on the evening of 9/11. 450 passengers to accomodate in hotels or rebook on other forms of transportation. 450 people to provide with phone cards, toiletry kits, meals, etc. We ran out of everything.

It was 4am before we got everything handled and the next wave of people started coming in for the 6am flight to Charlotte, NC.
I had to be at my engineering job at 8am.

Nightmarish, needless to say, but I wouldn't have done it any different. There were so many people there who were terrified and upset. People who couldn't get ahold of their families in NY. People trying to figure out if their meetings had been affected. People just in shock.

It was just crazy.
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #42
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Waldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST Reputation

9/11 really changed my attitude about travel (well, duh) and how I deal with the challenges.

This isn't my story, but I'm sharing it because it's a good one and Medusa's story reminded me of it.

I happened to have changed my flight from that Tuesday morning to Monday night and was safely sleeping in my hotel room in Tempe when the first plane hit. I woke up just in time to tune in for the second plane to hit.

In 2001 I had a friend who worked in marketing and communications for one of the major airlines involved in the event. Suffice it to say that she did not have day to day interaction with consumers at this point in her career.

While I was stuck in Tempe for the week without the ability to get home, my partner was in very intermittent text communication with said friend to make sure she was ok, offering support, etc.

She would relay information here and there about what was going on. She'd had been on site at HQ 24/7 for days. They had but one "grief team" and two downed flights so people that would not ordinarily be called on to drop their regular airline duties and rush to the scene to coordinate, counsel and provide support were being sent out into the field to do just that.

If you can imagine that someone who is regularly tasked with making reservations or taking inquiries about upgrades is suddenly called on to take calls from frightened, angry, grief-stricken family members when a flight goes down. Now imagine it when they, themselves had friends and family on board those planes - as was the case with many this time.

When I was finally allowed to fly home that Friday I thanked every last airline employee who had a hand in getting me on that flight and getting me home. Even the poor woman who took my "deadly" nail clippers from me. And now when my temper starts to rise and my patience is running out with delays and cancellations I roll with it as much as possible. Although I do admit that last year around this time I was inconsolable when the weather caused an unexpected overnight stay in Houston on route to my birthday holiday in Mexico but even then I didn't take it out on the staff. I was just firm that she needed to help me salvage my holiday and get us there as quick as possible.

Weather, illness, delays, cancellations and unfortunately, worse - happen. This is when being nice, though firm, will help infinitely more than throwing a hissy fit. It also helps if you're prepared. Take medication? Keep it in your carry on. Have electronics? Keep the chargers in your carry on.

So for all of those who have worked tirelessly to get me where I need to go safely and with a minimum of fuss, I thank you.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:38 PM   #43
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

When 9/11 happened, we had a ship about to dock in Boston which had just been built in France.

Only empoyees were on the ship, including our employees who had been building the sets and rehearsing in the on board theatre.

The ship was not allowed to dock on US soil and had to be diverted to the Bahamas for 2 weeks.

The girlfriend of one of our employees (who also happens to be gay and a former roomate of mine) called me over and over screaming at me that her G/F was being held "hostage" by the Cruise Line and that I did not understand that they were as much a couple as a straight couple and that I should give her the FBI's phone number.

SIGH.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #44
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Someone called me a few months ago and asked for a tumbleweed.

"Wrong state" I said, we have hay bales here in Tennessee.

This week, everyone has suddenly realized it is Easter and wants an Easter Throne????? WTH?

One year the hotel I worked for made the mistake of serving hossenfeffer on the Easter Buffet. I suggested a 12 stations of the cross theme, but was shot down.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:44 PM   #45
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,108 Times in 3,757 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
Someone called me a few months ago and asked for a tumbleweed.

"Wrong state" I said, we have hay bales here in Tennessee.

This week, everyone has suddenly realized it is Easter and wants an Easter Throne????? WTH?

One year the hotel I worked for made the mistake of serving hossenfeffer on the Easter Buffet. I suggested a 12 stations of the cross theme, but was shot down.
Awwwww poor Easter Bunny!!
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2010, 01:26 PM   #46
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Speaking of Hossenfeffer....

I was working the ticket counter at the airport one time (pre-911) when a lady showed up wanting to travel with a box. I asked her what was in the box since she was wanting to take it on the plane with her and she whipsered, "My dog".

I checked her reservation and saw that she had not reserved a lapdog space and asked to see her vet records in order to proceed.

"Oh I don't have vet records", she says.

I then explain to her that we can't allow her to travel with an in-cabin animal without the proper documentation.

She then tells me that the dog is dead and wants to know if that makes a difference.

Apparently, she had driven out to see her sister with her little Yorkie puppy and it had been hit by a car while on the trip. She wanted to take the dead dog home in the box with her.

In my head I was like, "Woman, you ain't taking a friggin DEAD DOG on the plane with you while other folks have to breathe the funk..."

But then I looked at her biggo watery eyes and my little Grinch heart began to beat again, dammit.

We ended up going over to a local air-freight shipper and having the little guy put on dry ice and shipped back home to her.

She was grateful. I was relieved.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2010, 01:53 PM   #47
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation
Default Rodeo Time>>>

Yep that was what mad me tick...for years.I didnt do anything else and didnt want to and would go back to it in a NY minuit if my body could handle it.Anyways as the local rideing club that was puting this on had given away a bunch of tickest to ppl who were disabled or to broke to go watch it,but the place thay set up the freebie bleachers were in the back of the bull
pens.Now folks we all know how green fresh bull shit stinks..BAD to say the least.As I was working for the stock contractor I voiced some op about the safty of anyone being safe that close to the bull pen much less than folks that had no idea about rodeo except thay were going to have a great time.So the contractor and the rideing club had to come to some desision as where to put the freebie bleachers...think high school bleachers...when the disabled busses showed up with so many kids and old folks...I said hell no it aint gonna happen cause up to this point nada had been done about this.After talking to the contestants we all made the desision that all of the freebie tickets and the familys were going to sit in contestants row.Somehow we got everyone in the spot we that to use.THe consession ppl were told to add up all the food that gave to the folks ad we the contestants pitched in top pay for it.This worked out great for us all,not shure who had the best time.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #48
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Going through the drive-thru at McD's before I decided to stop eating heart-attacks-in-a-sack.

Them: "Welcome to McDonald's, can I take your order?"

Me: "Yes, I would like a quarter-pound hamburger."

Them: "Quarter-pounder Cheeseburger, Plain."

Me: "No. A Quarter-pounder Hamburger."

Them: "You want a Quarter-Pounder Cheeseburger Plain?"

Me: "No, I want all the ketchup and stuff on it - just no cheese."

Them: "Oh, a Quarter-Pounder. Plain."

Me: "Doesn't "Plain" mean no ketchup, mustard, or pickle?"

Them: "Yes."

Me: "I WANT the ketchup, mustard, and pickle. Just no cheese. So - A quarter pounder HAMburger, NOT a quarter-pounder CHEESEburger."

Them: "A Plain Cheeseburger?"

Me: " Ok. Make a Quarter-pound Cheeseburger and RIGHT BEFORE YOU PUT THE CHEESE ON IT......STOP!"

Them: "Ohhhhhh...a quarter-pounder cheeseburger with no cheese."

Me: "YESSSSSS"

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #49
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation
Default Another on Micky D's

I went to the drive in to get lunch and ask for a half dozen Mc nuggets..the person takeing the order said

Sir, we dont have half dozen but do have a order of six nuggets in a box..then they ask someone ..say this guy wants an order of a half dozen Mc nuggets..do we have that??

Only at Mc Donalds.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #50
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

My first job was at Del Taco. It traumatized me.

Drive-thru dialogue:

Hi. This is Adele.
Welcome to Del Taco
Would you like to try our Del Burrito or our Del Burger?

I felt like such a hooker.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2010, 10:42 AM   #51
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
My first job was at Del Taco. It traumatized me.

Drive-thru dialogue:

Hi. This is Adele.
Welcome to Del Taco
Would you like to try our Del Burrito or our Del Burger?

I felt like such a hooker.

WORD! My first job was at a Mom and Pop's greasy spoon in the boondocks of Arkansas. It was owned by a very loud, very dysfunctional family that included a very flaming Gay son who was not out, a MEAN actively-alcoholic Mother, and a Father who was a penny-pinching miser who used to make us re-use tin-foil and re-serve rolls that people had already touched. EWW.

I washed dishes and kept the buffet full. It was gross and demeaning work for $4 an hour cash.

One night, the mean-Momma had made a bunch of pies to put out on the buffet. She had them cooling on a freezer in front of the main window and someone came by and shot the window with a BB gun, scattering little specs of glass everywhere.

The miser-Daddy proceeded to hold each one up to the light and pick out the flecks of glass with a dirty pocket knife. EWWWWW.

They later had to shut down when someone set the building on fire.
No, it wasnt me.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #52
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
WORD! My first job was at a Mom and Pop's greasy spoon in the boondocks of Arkansas. It was owned by a very loud, very dysfunctional family that included a very flaming Gay son who was not out, a MEAN actively-alcoholic Mother, and a Father who was a penny-pinching miser who used to make us re-use tin-foil and re-serve rolls that people had already touched. EWW.

I washed dishes and kept the buffet full. It was gross and demeaning work for $4 an hour cash.

One night, the mean-Momma had made a bunch of pies to put out on the buffet. She had them cooling on a freezer in front of the main window and someone came by and shot the window with a BB gun, scattering little specs of glass everywhere.

The miser-Daddy proceeded to hold each one up to the light and pick out the flecks of glass with a dirty pocket knife. EWWWWW.

They later had to shut down when someone set the building on fire.
No, it wasnt me.
Oh my god how did you deal?
umm? do you still have the lighter?
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #53
Nina
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
unmistakably
Preferred Pronoun?:
dearheart
Relationship Status:
In love, loved and Happy, thanks for askin'

Thanked 3,383 Times in 931 Posts
Nina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST Reputation
Default Abe's Donuts

I was in my late late-late teens, first of the 20's...

there was a 24 hour donut place which was the rage with the college kids, and all the city worked--DPW and the like used it...overnight hang out for a drunk or two and all round destination place for many of the locals...

I was persuaded to go in one night with a friend and met abe...he took me into the back and I fell in LOIVE with the huge wooden work tables...I was going on and on about them, how I wished I could have them at home, and he offered me a job...

I didn't know better....I took it...as I recall $1.20 an hour...I went to work at 10pm and finished crack 'o dawn the next day...

I worked with willie and don...both functional alcoholics both took me under their wings...it was a good place to feel protected in...(there was also a whole gambling thing going on there but it was really over my head)

willie couldn't really read...I got materials from the adult literacy project and worked on things with him...he got to be pretty skilled at reading and it was nice to see him feel good about it...it gave us something to do while the cinnamon rolls were proofing and there were some slow moments...

I was studying classical voice at the time and abe kept telling all the customers I was a great singer since I was full bosomed...he was kinda a pig...he thought it was OK to be a pig with me since he was Jewish, and I am Jewish so that gave us some kind of 'bond' in his mind--it was in his mind alone...

at about 3 or 4 am the donuts would come out of the oil...willie would swing the huge grate filled with dripping donuts out of the oil and I would fill them...the college kids would arrive like locusts, wanting hot bavarian cream doughnuts...they would crowd their way in the back and point well manicured fingers at the ones they wanted and then stand there waiting for me to pick up the still steaming doughnuts and fill them..."I want it Hot" was the constant refrain...'no',I would tell them, they are too hot to touch and I'll get burned..."but I want It H-h-hot"...I suggested that she could fill it herself (it was always the girls who did this)...I'd get the eye-roll and the flounced-hair 'okay'...I just stood back, we all did, and watched as she would pick up the doughnut, and then fling it down with a retort as she cradled her burned hand...I then told her I had to charge her for the donut anyway...

one of the perks of the job was that at the end of my shift when the streets were filled with snow, one of the DPW guys would always plow my way home...he'd drive the big truck and I'd follow in my VW bug, and then when I got home he'd plow out my driveway and in I'd go...

wow...I haven't thought about Abe's for a long time...I didn't like doughnuts when I started working there and don't like them to this day...odd since I do like fried things, just not doughnuts...and I *still* lust after those huge wooden bakery work spaces...

thus ends the ramblings...
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #54
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neen View Post
I was in my late late-late teens, first of the 20's...

there was a 24 hour donut place which was the rage with the college kids, and all the city worked--DPW and the like used it...overnight hang out for a drunk or two and all round destination place for many of the locals...

I was persuaded to go in one night with a friend and met abe...he took me into the back and I fell in LOIVE with the huge wooden work tables...I was going on and on about them, how I wished I could have them at home, and he offered me a job...

I didn't know better....I took it...as I recall $1.20 an hour...I went to work at 10pm and finished crack 'o dawn the next day...

I worked with willie and don...both functional alcoholics both took me under their wings...it was a good place to feel protected in...(there was also a whole gambling thing going on there but it was really over my head)

willie couldn't really read...I got materials from the adult literacy project and worked on things with him...he got to be pretty skilled at reading and it was nice to see him feel good about it...it gave us something to do while the cinnamon rolls were proofing and there were some slow moments...

I was studying classical voice at the time and abe kept telling all the customers I was a great singer since I was full bosomed...he was kinda a pig...he thought it was OK to be a pig with me since he was Jewish, and I am Jewish so that gave us some kind of 'bond' in his mind--it was in his mind alone...

at about 3 or 4 am the donuts would come out of the oil...willie would swing the huge grate filled with dripping donuts out of the oil and I would fill them...the college kids would arrive like locusts, wanting hot bavarian cream doughnuts...they would crowd their way in the back and point well manicured fingers at the ones they wanted and then stand there waiting for me to pick up the still steaming doughnuts and fill them..."I want it Hot" was the constant refrain...'no',I would tell them, they are too hot to touch and I'll get burned..."but I want It H-h-hot"...I suggested that she could fill it herself (it was always the girls who did this)...I'd get the eye-roll and the flounced-hair 'okay'...I just stood back, we all did, and watched as she would pick up the doughnut, and then fling it down with a retort as she cradled her burned hand...I then told her I had to charge her for the donut anyway...

one of the perks of the job was that at the end of my shift when the streets were filled with snow, one of the DPW guys would always plow my way home...he'd drive the big truck and I'd follow in my VW bug, and then when I got home he'd plow out my driveway and in I'd go...

wow...I haven't thought about Abe's for a long time...I didn't like doughnuts when I started working there and don't like them to this day...odd since I do like fried things, just not doughnuts...and I *still* lust after those huge wooden bakery work spaces...

thus ends the ramblings...
I worked overnight at a donut shop for two weeks. Not my cuppa. I was good at flipping the donuts in the grease with the sticks and filling them, but not so much with the lifting the palate-sized trays and fitting them into the cart and some of the other baking duties.

I went home smelling like burnt donuts every morning and that stuff does NOT come out. It was in my hair, bedding, clothes and any fabric I touched, including sofas and my favorite recliner.

Work = two weeks
Time to get the smell out of everything = 8 weeks

I did, however, get to see beautiful sunrises when I was leaving to go home.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #55
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

I was just reminded of the time that I worked Christmas help at the Mall as a Santa's "Elf". My job was to lift the kids up to Santa's lap and hold up various stuffed animals off to the side so the photographer could get a good picture of the screaming babies.

I'll never forget the Mother who insisted that her kid wouldnt smile unless I threw myself on the ground and acted like I was hurt.

It worked. The little sadistic asshole smiled and clapped like I was Mickey Mouse handing out free candy.