Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation
Default Why do we call the US America?

The continent the Unites States of America resides within is called America.

North, South, Central AMERICA

When we call the USA America we disregard every other country in the Americas.

It is dismissive, privileged and probably racist as well.

People in many other countries in the Americas hate the US for this reason alone.

Why do we insist on this?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
The continent the Unites States of America resides within is called America.

North, South, Central AMERICA

When we call the USA America we disregard every other country in the Americas.

It is dismissive, privileged and probably racist as well.

People in many other countries in the Americas hate the US for this reason alone.

Why do we insist on this?
I so agree with you, here. This has always bothered me. I think (but do not do so with certainty) that early maps drawn by Amerigo Vespucci of the American continent where the United States eventually were formed has something to do with this.

And, well.... priviledge, class and racism could be involved in the continuation of this.

Personally, I don't insist on this and usually feel that those that do are ignorant.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Yes we do. Meaning, those of us who live in the other Americas do hate the US for this.

I currently reside in South America (not Brazil though), and have made that mistake a few times, mainly due to the 25+ years that I lived in the States, shame on me!

It is arrogant, ignorant, rude and dismissive. It mainly comes from the feeling of entitlement/privilege that most US citizens share.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

I think it's because people in Europe were used to calling it "America" long before there were any independent countries here, and all the other countries took different names... but since we were already being called "America," when the official name became the United States of America people just continued to use the shorter "America" out of habit.

I also think that our government over the past couple hundred years has been rather... arrogant (Manifest Destiny, anyone?)... and has probably encouraged this. Certainly in modern times our media and popular entertainment industries have encouraged it.
Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

i say US. (as in, you-ess)

i think referring to 'america' sounds less than informed. for example: "this is america: _______(fill in the blank)/you need to speak english!/etc"

maybe it's regional.
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
Rufusboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Partnered

Rufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST Reputation

Why do people all over the world refer to those who reside in the United States of America as Americans? Why not refer to those residents as United Statesians? How do people in other countries of the continent of America refer to United Statesians, by the way? At least when they are trying to be polite?
Rufusboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #7
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

"I think it's because people in Europe were used to calling it "America" long before there were any independent countries here"

I am sorry, but I take offense to this part of your post. Where exactly is here?

And when Europeans called it America they were referring to the continent, not the US. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerigo_Vespucci
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2010, 05:06 PM   #8
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofMfan View Post
Yes we do. Meaning, those of us who live in the other Americas do hate the US for this.

I currently reside in South America (not Brazil though), and have made that mistake a few times, mainly due to the 25+ years that I lived in the States, shame on me!

It is arrogant, ignorant, rude and dismissive. It mainly comes from the feeling of entitlement/privilege that most US citizens share.
I grew up in Argentina, the HATE it that people from the US think they (we) are the only Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
I think it's because people in Europe were used to calling it "America" long before there were any independent countries here, and all the other countries took different names... but since we were already being called "America," when the official name became the United States of America people just continued to use the shorter "America" out of habit.

I also think that our government over the past couple hundred years has been rather... arrogant (Manifest Destiny, anyone?)... and has probably encouraged this. Certainly in modern times our media and popular entertainment industries have encouraged it.
Agreed! very arrogant.

When I visit Europe today, they say the US.

Expats say "the States"

Brazil is also "The United States of Brazil" , so it can be confusing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apretty View Post
i say US. (as in, you-ess)

i think referring to 'america' sounds less than informed. for example: "this is america: _______(fill in the blank)/you need to speak english!/etc"

maybe it's regional.

I say it like you do, I think it is an important distinction.

Oh and "this is America, so you should".... is so incredibly arrogant there are no words.....

Thank you for mentioning that!

I don't automatically assume people who say America for the US do it on purpose, I try to think that maybe they have not thought about it?
Old 02-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufusboi View Post
Why do people all over the world refer to those who reside in the United States of America as Americans? Why not refer to those residents as United Statesians? How do people in other countries of the continent of America refer to United Statesians, by the way? At least when they are trying to be polite?
Everyone in the world does not refer to us as Americans.

I travel a lot, and many people do say Unites Stasians in their language, like Spanish for example.

Estados Unidenses in Spanish speaking South America, or Norte Americanos which does not say what country.

In Europe I hear US.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

On "American" sites I use the term American for brevity and to simplify things. I've used the term "United Statsians" for a couple of decades now. What little I've heard has led me to believe it's a much bigger deal in South America than in North America. Canada is a pretty easy-going country. We don't get riled up about the smaller things in life, but I don't believe that the term "American" should apply to only people from the United States. Not a BIG deal, just a little one, but yes - I do believe that there are a multitude of little deals that give the world the impression that the United States is arrogant. Not necessarily individual people, but the country as a whole.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #11
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
"I think it's because people in Europe were used to calling it "America" long before there were any independent countries here"

I am sorry, but I take offense to this part of your post. Where exactly is here?

And when Europeans called it America they were referring to the continent, not the US. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amerigo_Vespucci
Maybe before there were individual countries?
Old 02-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #12
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersuebee View Post
On "American" sites I use the term American for brevity and to simplify things. I've used the term "United Statsians" for a couple of decades now. What little I've heard has led me to believe it's a much bigger deal in South America than in North America. Canada is a pretty easy-going country. We don't get riled up about the smaller things in life, but I don't believe that the term "American" should apply to only people from the United States. Not a BIG deal, just a little one, but yes - I do believe that there are a multitude of little deals that give the world the impression that the United States is arrogant. Not necessarily individual people, but the country as a whole.
So, South American's are uptight for resenting US citizens feeling like we deserve to be the only American's?

Mexico is kind of in North America too.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #13
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
So, South American's are uptight for resenting US citizens feeling like we deserve to be the only American's?

Mexico is kind of in North America too.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. I don't know about Mexico so I didn't speak about it.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:18 PM   #14
Melissa

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
married

Melissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST ReputationMelissa Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Everyone in the world does not refer to us as Americans.

I travel a lot, and many people do say Unites Stasians in their language, like Spanish for example.

Estados Unidenses in Spanish speaking South America, or Norte Americanos which does not say what country.

In Europe I hear US.

I'm from England and all I ever remember hearing is America and Americans, for the most part. The only time I heard any one refer to the US as "The States" was other Americans. But that's just my experience. I'm not as well travelled as you Although I do remember the French calling Americans....well, never mind. That's probably not repeatable. Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Melissa For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

I suppose we South Americans are just uptight and picky about accuracy. I have also encountered this from people in Central America, by the way.

Apocalipstic, yes, before they we had revolutions and became independent and individual countries.
The Following User Says Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #16
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
I'm from England and all I ever remember hearing is America and Americans, for the most part. The only time I heard any one refer to the US as "The States" was other Americans. But that's just my experience. I'm not as well travelled as you Although I do remember the French calling Americans....well, never mind. That's probably not repeatable. Melissa
In London I usually hear US, but they seem to abreviate a lot! UK, US, EU and so forth....

And yes, I have only heard people from the US or Canada call the US "the States" and it is only from people who have lived outside the US.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #17
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
I'm from England and all I ever remember hearing is America and Americans, for the most part. The only time I heard any one refer to the US as "The States" was other Americans.
What do the people of England call us if not American?

Citizens of the United States of America?

If not Americans, what should we call ourselves?
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #18
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

In normal every day conversation I mostly call it "The States".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2010, 05:25 PM   #19
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
I suppose we South Americans are just uptight and picky about accuracy. I have also encountered this from people in Central America, by the way.

Apocalipstic, yes, before they we had revolutions and became independent and individual countries.
Before San Martin and Bolivar!

We are all Americans South, Central and North.

I think it is important that when we are speaking of the US in particular we say US.

It seems pretty racist, classist and arrogant to say otherwise.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #20
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semantics View Post
What do the people of England call us if not American?

Citizens of the United States of America?

If not Americans, what should we call ourselves?
My friends in London say "from the US" or "Yanks" or Yankees which outside the US tends to mean all people from the US, not Southerners.

What should Argentines call themselves, or Mexicans, or Canadians, or Chileans? They are all Americans too.