Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation
Default *,\'(;-)/.?!:"...

Isn't it neat (or possibly horrifying) how punctuation rules and usage seem to be changing so rapidly over the last decade?

Anyway, this is the punctuation thread. And spaces are fine to discuss here too.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,831 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation
Default ...

Long live the ellipsis!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Lightbulb

I thought maybe it was a pretend cussing thread.

%#*%£!

I'm terrible with punctuation I'm sorry
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

My housemate, a high school English teacher, does not use or teach the use of commas before coordinating conjunctions.

Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
Deborah

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babydoll is a start....
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Livingston 4/20/2013

Thanked 1,454 Times in 276 Posts
Deborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST ReputationDeborah Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Hi, my name is June and I am apostrophe challenged.
Hi June...we're glad you're here.

"The Good Within Me Honors The Good Within You"
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deborah For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

At my company, the computer system that we use doesn't allow for any punctuation except a period.

Nothing else at all. This has made me almost go postal a few times. Try writing down vital signs without a slash. We have to type 120 over 80. Stupid.

And forget trying to quote a patient. We have to say.... start quote blah blah blah end quote.

My company paid thousands of dollars for this program and if it were up to me they would get their & out of their () and FIX the freaking thing.

So, i miss using puntuation. This thread brings a tear to my eye.

Finally a place i can shout to the world.

I LOVE AND MISS YOU PUNCTUATION!!!!!!

Thank you for this wonderful thread.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #7
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
I thought maybe it was a pretend cussing thread.

%#*%£!

I'm terrible with punctuation I'm sorry
LOL..... I'm with you! And will always take poetic license with punctuation.

AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
mouthy but adorable; kinky Gerbera
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I love, love punctuation--especially the dash ;-) Oh, and a well placed semicolon makes me giddy. I know, I know: I'm a nerd

Language is a living entity, so it only stands to reason that punctuation will fluctuate in its usage, too. I always remind my students that they should use punctuation as a tool to enhance clarity. Rules, which change all the time--be damned Writing can be fun, damn-it!

Hold on to the lessons, let go of the pain.
--Leslie Feinberg
daisygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to daisygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
rlin

How Do You Identify?:
human

Thanked 1,190 Times in 451 Posts
rlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputationrlin Has the BEST Reputation

im with the mister bent... all anyone needs is the ellipsis... it gives you time to breathe when you read....possession is implied mostly anyway... the rest is just for looks...
rlin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rlin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #10
hpychick

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine with a hammer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girly Stuff
Relationship Status:
Jesse's Girl. She asked! I said yes!

Location: Minneapolis! Or as I like to call it - Many Happiness!
Thanked 1,417 Times in 499 Posts
hpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Pitter Patter

Oh, I do believe you've made my heart go pitter-patter! In the age of texting and emoticon-ing, it seems the art of true writing (and proper form) has been lost!

I can now die in peace, knowing that someone out there loves punctuation like I do!

<3

hpychick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hpychick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #11
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

*raises hand* I am bad with punctuation

Wow, I feel much better now that I got that out

Does this mean I'm going to have to start ending my sentences with a period?

If June is challenged by ', I just want to say with me, it's pure laziness

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlin View Post
im with the mister bent... all anyone needs is the ellipsis... it gives you time to breathe when you read....possession is implied mostly anyway... the rest is just for looks...

Sweet baby jesus in lucite, then you go and defile it!

The ellipsis is three (3) dots, not 4 (except when the ellipsis is used in place of omitted words at the end of a sentence, or the beginning of a sentence following another, where in both cases a period is also employed), not 5, not 17.

It is not comprised of commas, or any other string or combination of punctuation marks.

Some other liberties with ellipses I can tolerate (proper grammatical usage, even - see above), but do not alter the beauty of its simple form.

I beg of thee.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #13
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Default Instigator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I recently went through a spate of reading a lot of Gertrude Stein, who is infamous for her lack of commas and punctuation in general.

Even though I think she was kind of a fascinating wack job, I felt a certain kindred spirit-ness with her.

Spell check that, Mr. Bent.

Spirit-ness (c)

Well, some might spell it "whack" job. But this thread is about punctuation, Juney, so I will remain on seated hands with regard to the atrocities of spelling found within.

- H. L. Mencken
The Following User Says Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #14
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Ya know, I think that people are just too worried about "being wrong" with punctuation (or grammar) because of the mean-ole-English-teacher stereotype (and lived experiences).

Laziness is one thing, but I think that even text-messaging is its own, valid language (just sayin').

BTW: I adore Stein.

--Leslie Feinberg
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daisygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

I am sure nothing compares to the complete overuse of the punctuation mark.

I find this to be mostly true on forums like Facebook.

It just annoys the HELL out of me !!!!!! oh wait...
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #16
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bent View Post
Sweet baby jesus in lucite, then you go and defile it!

The ellipsis is three (3) dots, not 4 (except when the ellipsis is used in place of omitted words at the end of a sentence, or the beginning of a sentence following another, where in both cases a period is also employed), not 5, not 17.

It is not comprised of commas, or any other string or combination of punctuation marks.

Some other liberties with ellipses I can tolerate (proper grammatical usage, even - see above), but do not alter the beauty of its simple form.

I beg of thee.

While Your begging is moderately hot, I shall use as many ellipsesi (did that make You twitch, Mr. B?) as I wish........as using said dots is how I speak in real time....like a continuing thought.........that gets all stirred up on occasion.......... and I use that time.............to reorganize said thought(s) and continue spewing.

My grammar is sparkly.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #17
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_girl View Post
I am sure nothing compares to the complete overuse of the punctuation mark.

I find this to be mostly true on forums like Facebook.

It just annoys the HELL out of me !!!!!! oh wait...

I totally relate...the overuse of exclamation marks makes me feel like I need to step back

--Leslie Feinberg
Old 03-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #18
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
While Your begging is moderately hot, I shall use as many ellipsesi (did that make You twitch, Mr. B?) as I wish........as using said dots is how I speak in real time....like a continuing thought.........that gets all stirred up on occasion.......... and I use that time.............to reorganize said thought(s) and continue spewing.

My grammar is sparkly.
It's going to be like that is it? I refuse to believe you use dots in speech in real time. What you do is pause, which is not the intended use of ellipses. My goat will not be gotten, lady!

- H. L. Mencken
Old 03-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #19
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyOne View Post
Does this mean I'm going to have to start ending my sentences with a period?
Yes. (note the period)
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #20
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Have you ever talked like you write? Actually say the words "she said" or "question mark" at the end of a sentence when you ask a question?

It is sorta fun and it's not as easy as you'd think

Warning though... (counts three)

it may land you a slap especially if the someone you are talking is allowed to slap you and sometimes even when they are not.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post: