Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

View Poll Results: How do you feel about backscatter xrays?
They are great! Whatever it takes to keep us safe. 14 14.89%
They are horrific! I would rather risk being blown up. 20 21.28%
Eh, necessary evil 45 47.87%
Other (see below) 15 15.96%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2010, 11:50 AM   #101
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Waldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST Reputation

*scratching head*

How is this about classism and racism?

If the exact same things are happening in the airports - where, based on your logic, the white and economically well off are frisked, how does putting the same efforts at bus terminals translate to class and race targeting?

As for being suspect? I'm your average every day non POC appearing, economically privileged masculine appearing woman.

And, as of last night my roll of EVERY. Single. TIME I have flown during the month of November... whether the backscatter machines are in use or not, I have been pulled aside for additional screening. I expect that tomorrow morning at this time I'll be standing with my arms outstretched and having a stranger get friendly with me again.

The latest analysis of the greyhound traveler is 20 years old, so I'm going to guess there's a good chance that the demographic has shifted further toward your numbers, but in 1989 it was 70% of their travelers who earned less than $25k. I seem to recall someone on another site pointing out that there were routes on which airfare was often comparable, if not cheaper, than taking Greyhound. Or perhaps it was Amtrak that I'm thinking of?

Sorry, this particular outrage just doesn't pass the sniff test to me. It's still about money. It's being "tested" to see how much blowback they get. If the blowback is not strong you'll start seeing more and more equipment like the backscatter machines there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
This is specifically about classism and racism.

I've taken a lot of Greyhound. As someone who does not own a car and who cannot afford to fly, any time that I want to go somewhere that is within 12 hours of my home - I go there on Greyhound.

Any time that I have crossed the border from Canada to the US via Greyhound I was treated like a criminal - in ways that I was NEVER treated like a criminal when driving across the border or flying over the border. I'm not going to lie - any time I've been on a Greyhound bus 90% or more of the other passengers have been POC. I would guess that 100% of the people on the bus with me (myself included) make under 24k a year, some of us WELL under that.

To be poor or POC and ESPECIALLY to be both poor and POC is to immediately be suspect when dealing with homeland security goons.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #102
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Testing what? Who chooses the radiation lane or the molestation lane?
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #103
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

It's more about control over the population than passenger safety, and an example of how terrorist threats and western governments benefit each other. The more afraid of "the enemy" a government renders its population, the more the general population is willing to overlook the boots stomping all over their rights. The more western governments invade foreign nations and propagate discrimination, the easier it is for religious extremists to recruit people to their cause.

Right now in Canada these are only in place for flights destined for the United States as far as I know, and not to the EU...which I'm personally thankful for. Just hope it stays that way into next summer, because I would be ready to give up my ticket in order to avoid these things.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #104
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

It's interesting. I've had to go through the backscatter twice in the past four weeks as part of travels and they were pretty quick and non-invasive. TSA is generally professional.

That said, however, because my plane ticket was still under my previous name I had to bring my name change document with me along with my new passport. It wasn't an issue for TSA until I was leaving IAD (Dulles in DC) to go to LAX. I got pulled out of line and queried on this.

IAD has to have the WORST setup for security screening I've ever seen. Everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) goes through a single TSA screening point (rather than having different ones for different terminals). I didn't have to go through the backscatter but to be pulled aside, asked why my name change was done in 2009 and the ticket reflective of now, blah blah, was humiliating and completely uncalled for. Basically, it nearly outed me and I swear, if I had been asked why I did the name change I would have filed a suit shortly afterwards.

I did notice when I was leaving LAX a few weeks ago they had changed their patdown procedure and were randomly (truly randomly) checking people and describing better what they were doing. I think they did listen and heard what people have said. Not every flight and not everyone will be backscattered. And I have seen that the room is separate (and it is an enclosed room with no windows -- they communicate via radio to the person in the room).

I wish they would do a proper external audit of the security behind them and the procedure of how images are stored but all-in-all, they are not that bad.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #105
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Waldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST ReputationWaldo Has the BEST Reputation

Friends and neighbors... this is why it's "Security Theatre" and not security:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/loaded...qkw=&tqshow=WN
Old 12-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #106
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qdb6wC0Iz4"]YouTube - Grandma Got Molested At The Airport[/nomedia]

Speaking of political theater, Happy Holidays!
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #107
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,248 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

The National Center for Transgender Equality sent the linked letter to the TSA citing some unpleasant TSA experiences for transgender passengers.

This type of harassment does not make me feel any safer.

NCTE letter to TSA

Andrea

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #108
Gina

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady, Her, she...etc..
Relationship Status:
Single

Gina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST ReputationGina Has the BEST Reputation
Default 2 cents worth..

I am thinking that I would rather be scanned/searched rather than having the guy/woman behind me get through with a bomb taped to their balls/vagina..
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #109
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,248 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
I am thinking that I would rather be scanned/searched rather than having the guy/woman behind me get through with a bomb taped to their balls/vagina..
Are you aware no terrorist has been caught as a result of the scans/searches and it has been admitted they probably would not have caught the underwear bomber using the scans/searches?

Andrea

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 01:52 PM   #110
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
My girlfriend said recently she'd be happy to just take off all her clothes and do a body cavity check too if it meant she got to fly down here for a month. But then she said she would never want to fly with kids under the current conditions - would never want to subject kids to it.

My feeling is that just because some individuals are fine with being handled this way, that doesn't really mean it's okay. I feel entitled to a certain amount of sovereignty over my body and I see the policies as extremely violative and anxiety-triggering. How long before junior highs and high schools begin using similar methods?

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #111
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

I am going to try to use another example here - maybe it will hold water.

It is a legal right in the u.s. to keep and bear arms.

I don't own a gun because I feel the personal risks of my owning a gun would outweigh the benefits of owning one.

However - just because I don't want a gun in my house, that wouldn't be a justifiable reason for me to advocate for repeal of the 2nd amendment.

Just because you personally would make the choice to be scanned or groped or both - that doesnt mean everybody else will or should be subjected to it.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #112
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

Quote:
And did you miss my link? Where it was exposed that people are somewhat regularly getting through security with guns, very visible, in their carry on bags?

It kills me that people still blindly accept this because they *think* it must help.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #113
Waldo

How Do You Identify?:
Special Snowflake
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Married

And here's another for you:

Airline pilot videotapes security flaws at SFO - http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/12/2...ecurity-flaws/

Tags
airports, backscatter, privacy, xray