Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 05-16-2010, 04:31 PM   #21
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

they should not only freeze prices but be forced to sell at a discount but then we'd have to worry about the government giving them a bail out for losing money. lol

it's such shit really but mistakes happen but on this scale the consequences should be huge because the impact of that mistake is also huge.

I love Steinhatchee. They should be responsible for a relief fund where small businesses like this are supported.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #22
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I am trying to do some research to find out how BP and other oil companies get approval to drill so close to our shores and the shores of Mexico and islands in the Carribean.
Anyone know where to look?
Permits are issued by the Minerals Management Service. This is perhaps the most corrupt federal agency in our country. They issue the permits, and they also collect the fees from oil drilling. Scandals have abounded for years - sleeping together (literally), snorting speed off a toaster oven (my personal favorite), and just all around partying and playing together. Google Minerals Management Service and prepare to be shocked.

By the way, in the week after Obama said no more permits for offshore drilling would be issued, MMS issued at least 5 new permits, including one in Alaska. If ever there were an agency that needed to be completely disbanded and rebuilt from the ground up, this is it.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #23
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

This oil spill will destroy Louisiana's Coastal Wetlands, and Estuaries for decades to come. Bayous full of generation after generation of shrimpers, and fisherman. All will be out of jobs. They don't know any other life. Many of them have never been out of the state of Louisiana. BP should have to pay dearly. It all brings tears to my eyes, and makes me sick to my stomach.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:41 PM   #24
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Default bp site-

http://www.bp.com/sectiongenericarti...tentId=7019358

responses-

http://www.bp.com/extendedsectiongen...tentId=7061813

per msdemeanor-
http://www.mms.gov/

Last edited by violaine; 05-16-2010 at 04:46 PM.
violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #25
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots13 View Post
This is a catastrophe of such proportions we will feel the impact of the devastation for decades.

How many times did we campaign against this? I cant believe the impunity private enterprise has shown, despite the concerns and warnings from us "tree-huggers". Such denial in thinking that this would or could never happen has set them up for the catastrophe we are all experiencing now.

I am sick over what has been done, and despite any entity's best effort, the oil continues to flow.

I keep remembering walking the shores in Valdez, Alaska in 2003 (a long time after the spill there) and rolling over rocks with oil deposits.... Although Exxon was found liable, the people there losing their livelihood as well as what it did to the environment and critters - it has still not paid up. There are eco-systems lost there that will never return. Oh, and the cruise ships still pump sewage into the waters, there.

The impact of the environmental devastation will never stop..... they are now using chemicals to try to stop the flow, and synthetic materials...

Also, the 11 people that died on that rig were blown to hell. Others are suffering from severe PTSD. Why are we going to continue to do off-shore drilling just due to this loss of life? Oh, that's right, coal-mining companies that cut corners, block labor unions, etc. are also a dime a dozen...

But, you know, there are senators in Congress trying to block off-shore wind energy fields primarily due to bird losses... Yes, I care about birds but data demonstrates that wind energy bird losses are minimal.

I do not know what all the possible problems could be with wind energy (or so-called clean-coal, but just can't help but think about the mega-billion dollar oil industry will not lose in the end.

I have made personal changes in my own energy use, but until we all do, nothing much is going to change. There are some new solar hot water residential systems now out that can be financed at zero interest rates- take a look! But, yes, its damn hard for most of us in this economy to even think about these kinds of changes. Soooooo... how about big-buck corporations having to make changes on their buildings?

You know, that pipe may never be able to be corked! And BP is far more interested in what it is losing in sweet crude. They will probably gain a means to re-build that rig as the only means to divert that oil. And the fact remains that that area is far too deep to drill in and have any kind of safety surrounding it. It never should have been able to be there in the first place. Do you see any efforts to shut-down all this rigs in this heightened risk area?

And…. To date, we still have no way to dispose of nuclear waste generated by nuclear power plants. But, you can bet there is going to be a big campaign (billions toward lobbying) to build more of these plants.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #26
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:

MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

This is much bigger than the gulf. The oil and chemicals will drift from the Gulf Stream out in to the Atlantic, where they will join with the North Atlantic Drift, eventually impacting the entire Atlantic Ocean, North America, and coastal Europe.

linkyloo
The Gulf Stream, together with its northern extension towards Europe, the North Atlantic Drift, is a powerful, warm, and swift Atlantic ocean currentGulf of Mexico, exits through the Strait of Florida, and follows the eastern coastlines of the United States and Newfoundland before crossing the Atlantic Ocean. that originates in the

Here's a nice visual linkyloo
Old 05-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #27
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:

By the way, those chemicals being used to disperse the oil? The formulas and ingredients are protected, so we have no way of knowing what is in them. The companies refuse to divulge the information.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #28
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

After 26 days of pumping oil into our beautiful ocean, and destroying such creation, I am truely devistated over this distruction. So many lives and creatures are affected and effected. I am sick over this. Just sick.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #29
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDemeanor View Post
By the way, those chemicals being used to disperse the oil? The formulas and ingredients are protected, so we have no way of knowing what is in them. The companies refuse to divulge the information.

Bet Dick Cheny knows what they are and what is in them! Probably will get a kick-back off them.

The whole idea that someting that is developed to break down sweet crude could possibly not be harmful is just nuts! And I am sure that future generations will be posting on-line about birth defects, cancers, etc. resulting from these chemicals getting into the food-chain.

And we worry about foreign terroists destroying us!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 07:12 AM   #30
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Worry that Gulf oil spreading into major current

Latest news from the Associated Press

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100517/...gulf_oil_spill
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 07:21 AM   #31
Diavolo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Diavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST ReputationDiavolo Has the BEST Reputation

I wrote a response to this over on my personal site. Sometimes I write a decent paragraph, the last was one is my favorite.
As long as there are oil rigs off shore, there will be accidents. As long as we consume foreign oil, there will be war in the Middle East. The solution is engineering and alternative fuel sources. It’s time that we quit being a bunch of self centered bloated petulant children and started behaving as if we cared about our planet and each other.
Diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Diavolo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 07:49 AM   #32
torchiegirl

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 1,605 Times in 545 Posts
torchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputationtorchiegirl Has the BEST Reputation

It is a shame that the eventual fine/cost will be ours to bear. Will it ever have an impact on those who are at the helm of the sinking ship, so to speak? Seems someone other than the responsible party ends up paying the price of recovery.
torchiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to torchiegirl For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #33
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Every day I get more depressed and ...angry about this...and think about how much my grand daughters love to fish and camp, hike, be among the trees. What will their lives be like 10 years from now... 15, 20.....? If they choose to be biological parents, will their kids be born healthy?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 01:14 PM   #34
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Right. The underground spill is bigger than MANHATTAN. That is almost too much to think about, and it is heading over to FL and up the atlantic coast.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #35
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation

I am sick over this. And the BP Corporate big wigs just talk and talk and talk while still reeling in huge paychecks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #36
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Now this Trail of Tears is being caused by robots they say..in search of black gold. Skulldrudgery!
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 11:36 PM   #37
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDemeanor View Post
I am thinking future birth defects as the crap gets into the food chain...

Further, it appears that BP will not allow any other oil company people to aid in the efforts to stop the flow. So... what the hell are they hiding about what they are using?

OK, I am thinking that the Obama administration needs to put some kind of hold/lein/judgement on BP's financial accounts (well, if this can be done) after all the finger pointing during the hearings to pass the buck. It will be years of litigation before the fault is determined and payments are made for damages.

This is so very serious!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #38
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Jack,

You are so right. My neighbor told me this morning that they are planning on digging or drilling in Alaska now. Is this true?

Money is the root of all evil. I have seen this happen time after time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #39
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Its insanity!

They had zero plan if something went wrong! The plans they have to fix it sound like things a 5th grade science class would come up with...Top Hat? Cork? Bendy Straw?

None of this sounds very scientific.

And Halliburton all up on the middle of it.

SICKENING!

We all need to cut back on our oil consumption, until we do...this type of thing will continue.

I don't even care about gas prices, it's the environmental impact and the fact that they have zero clue what to do to fix it.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #40
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diavolo View Post
It’s time that we quit being a bunch of self centered bloated petulant children ......[/INDENT]
who is we?
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote