How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Breeder and other words we use to hurt our own.

I was a little upset today by seeing the word "Breeder" used in a thread.

I find the word Breeder when used in reference to ANY woman vulgar and offensive. It reduces a woman (once again) to her reproductive organs.

What I cannot understand is why in the Queer Community it is used as a descriptor of women that have had children.

It's kind of like using the "Gold Star Lesbian" thing. As if those of us that were in relationships with bio-men are some how a less desirable grade of Queer than those that were not.

When somebody uses that term about me it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. My path to self acceptance may have been longer than the next girls, but that doesn't make me a receptacle for sperm.

I am not an animal, and have never EVER been *bred*.

Why do we do this to each other? How do you feel about that word?
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
I don't like it, it's degrading, it's mean, it's ugly and it makes is sound that if we chose to give birth to our children that we have no more value than some form of cattle...
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
JakeTulane
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Mr. Prickly Porcupine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Butch - Hy, Hym, Hys
Relationship Status:
She has softened My quills

Thanked 5,264 Times in 2,732 Posts
JakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST Reputation

I will weigh in... which I usually do not do. However, I have to say I detest the word "breeder" and agree that it is degrading and when it is used it is as though a woman who has had children is some form of animal and has just been bred only to be led to pasture. We are all here by a man's sperm. I do not feel that My Mom "bred" Me.
JakeTulane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JakeTulane For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

I think it's a dehumanizing word.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Thanked 12,951 Times in 3,466 Posts
Spirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST Reputation

SF
I agree with you it's disgusting and rude, what if their mother
was called a breeder? I love my children and am no less part of this community
because I had a child.If it weren't for those who give birth the
cycle of life ends.
Spirit Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Spirit Dancer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Why IS it that people continue to use this word? I am sad that we would devalue WOMEN in a Queer Community.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

Whenever I've heard this word used it's been in a deragatory manner, usually as a means to belittle the person it's directed at. I've especially heard or seen it used towards the heterosexual community when they've made disparaging remarks about the homosexual community or persons. I find it pretty darn disrespectful!

To be honest it baffles me why people can't just get along and let each other live their lives. I'm pretty darn sure this isn't going to change in my life time, so I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time being overly baffled by this question though... which is unfortunate in so many ways!

you SuperFemme!

T D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to T D For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Spirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST ReputationSpirit Dancer Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
Why IS it that people continue to use this word? I am sad that we would devalue WOMEN in a Queer Community.
I just hung up with my son, I told him about the thread.
His opinion is, there are those whom are no longer connected to moral feelings about each other,
and if someone called me or his wife a breeder, they would answer to
his brand of respect. Thank goodness for Sons
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spirit Dancer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Dancer View Post
there are those whom are no longer connected to moral feelings about each other
If this is true, I wonder what the percentages are. This could explain a lot of behavior in the world. The isms and such. I wonder if there is a remedy?

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
JakeTulane
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Mr. Prickly Porcupine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Butch - Hy, Hym, Hys
Relationship Status:
She has softened My quills

Thanked 5,264 Times in 2,732 Posts
JakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST ReputationJakeTulane Has the BEST Reputation
Default Also.

I believe that people will say what they want to say and use terms they want to use. However, when another person makes it KNOWN that is bothers them in some way .. or they find it hurtful... then perhaps the one using the term should at the very least .. respect that and let the offended person know they were "heard".
JakeTulane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JakeTulane For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

I've only ever heard the term used in a good-hearted joking way, and have not used it since I became aware that it has a derogotory connotation to some. However, why do we assume that it's used only in reference to women. I've heard it used to differenciate heterosexuals from homosexuals - no reference to gender that I'm aware of.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by T D View Post

Whenever I've heard this word used it's been in a deragatory manner, usually as a means to belittle the person it's directed at. I've especially heard or seen it used towards the heterosexual community when they've made disparaging remarks about the homosexual community or persons. I find it pretty darn disrespectful!

To be honest it baffles me why people can't just get along and let each other live their lives. I'm pretty darn sure this isn't going to change in my life time, so I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time being overly baffled by this question though... which is unfortunate in so many ways!

you SuperFemme!

Good points TD. I am still going to hold on to the hope that WE can be the change. I'm weird like that.

you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Dancer View Post
I just hung up with my son, I told him about the thread.
His opinion is, there are those whom are no longer connected to moral feelings about each other,
and if someone called me or his wife a breeder, they would answer to
his brand of respect. Thank goodness for Sons
Thank Goodness for sons is right. And their amazing Mommas that raise them with awareness.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersuebee View Post
I've only ever heard the term used in a good-hearted joking way, and have not used it since I became aware that it has a derogotory connotation to some. However, why do we assume that it's used only in reference to women. I've heard it used to refer to differenciate heterosexuals from homosexuals - no reference to gender that I'm aware of.
I haven't heard it used in a good-hearted way, but I think it's used in several contexts. I've heard vehemently child-free people use this term about those who have kids too. The first time I heard it used, it was by a gay man talking about straight people. But there's also the gold star lesbian vs breeder context - which I find most painful. I don't have kids (sadly), but I definitely have a past that included straight cisgender men, and I don't want my own dear community shaming me for that past.

- Bjork

-Viktor Frankl
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #14
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Default For all the mom's here

The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit Dancer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #15
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat View Post
I haven't heard it used in a good-hearted way, but I think it's used in several contexts. I've heard vehemently child-free people use this term about those who have kids too.
Toward females only?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #16
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I've only ever heard the term used in a good-hearted joking way, and have not used it since I became aware that it has a derogotory connotation to some. However, why do we assume that it's used only in reference to women. I've heard it used to refer to differenciate heterosexuals from homosexuals - no reference to gender that I'm aware of.

Some of us homosexual are referred to as breeders...

Hence the hierarchy in our queerness.. We are viewed as less than.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #17
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Can you use it in a sentence in a good hearted joking way?

I'm really super curious as to what that sounds like.

I'm not being snarky, I just don't know how that could be so.

As far as differentiating between heterosexuals and homosexuals I think that is still just as rude. Women are not bred. Men are not studded out. Homo's are parents too, so I don't get the differentiation.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #18
Dylan
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
She thinks all my jokes are corny

Thanked 1,839 Times in 500 Posts
Dylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST ReputationDylan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I was a little upset today by seeing the word "Breeder" used in a thread.

I find the word Breeder when used in reference to ANY woman vulgar and offensive. It reduces a woman (once again) to her reproductive organs.

What I cannot understand is why in the Queer Community it is used as a descriptor of women that have had children.

It's kind of like using the "Gold Star Lesbian" thing. As if those of us that were in relationships with bio-men are some how a less desirable grade of Queer than those that were not.

When somebody uses that term about me it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. My path to self acceptance may have been longer than the next girls, but that doesn't make me a receptacle for sperm.

I am not an animal, and have never EVER been *bred*.

Why do we do this to each other? How do you feel about that word?
I love how you take it out of context and start a thread about it.

You want to drag this conversation over to another thread now?

Honestly, if you don't think little girls are groomed for this shit from before they can even talk, I really don't understand how or why you'd jump into a conversation about that exact topic

It wasn't a dis on people who have kids...it was used as a dis for how girls are groomed by a sexist culture.

I heard you. I got your feelings on the topic. Had that been the way I used it in the post, I would agree with you. But that's not how I used it.

Dylan
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #19
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Quote:
Can you use it in a sentence in a good hearted joking way?

I'm really super curious as to what that sounds like.

I'm not being snarky, I just don't know how that could be so.

As far as differentiating between heterosexuals and homosexuals I think that is still just as rude. Women are not bred. Homo's are parents too, so I don't get the differentiation.
I won't give an example as the difference between something said in a non-harmful way and an insulting way is most often not in the words but in the context, tone, etc. However that's just the background of the usage I'm aware of. My real question is whether or not people think it's in reference to women only.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #20
Spirit Dancer

How Do You Identify?:
Complex but Tender
Preferred Pronoun?:
~Ma`am~
Relationship Status:
Shotgun Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
Some of us homosexual are referred to as breeders...

Hence the hierarchy in our queerness.. We are viewed as less than.
Snow
I swear when I came out, and a butch referred to me as a breeder
I flipped, she said Queers don't have kids.
Mind you her mom was queer, so I pointed to said Mom and said,
your kiddo thinks I'm a breeder so therefore I cannot be queer.
Said mom goes to baby butch and says, pssst I'm no SOB breeder
and whomps her across the head. Thump as lesson learned
The Following User Says Thank You to Spirit Dancer For This Useful Post: