Old 11-24-2009, 04:47 AM   #1
kassykit

How Do You Identify?:
Just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her,
Relationship Status:
Single

kassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputation
Question How did you know?

Guess i been trying to think of how to ask this question for the longest time. Please don't yell at me, or get offended by the following post. It takes a lot for me to post something public.

To start off before I get to my question I feel the need to explain a little about me.

I was sexually abused for a large portion of my childhood. I learned that to dress as a "girl" was to open myself up to the possiblity of it happening more often. A lot of the time my family just simply couldn't afford new cloths anyways. So i suppose it is lucky that my dresses and "girl" cloths were few and far between. I grew up more likely to run out and hide in the woods, it was safe there, than i was to stay at home and play with dolls. Realize this was years after the abuse started. Let me just say right off, no it was not my father, mother, or brothers. It was other close "friends" of the family. My parents put me through theraphy and since they found out they have been supportive to a point.

So with that being said, I grew up needing to protect myself by being a "boy".

I do not identify as "butch". I do not identify as a "tweener". I do identify as "femme". I don't wear a lot of makeup, I do tend to wear jeans, tshirts and hide behind banter.

After doing a lot of reading, I am starting to wonder about myself. About the labels that the people around me are using.

Butch does not equal boylike, it's a way that person carries themselves. To me anyway. I can't even define it properly. All i know is it isn't me.

Tweeners. well, i'm not 100 percent sure what this even means! So how could i be a tweener if i'm not sure what it IS?

Femme, well why do I feel I am more femme than anything else. This is the part i'm afraid of explaining. So be patient.

- femmes are lipstick toteing, high heel wearing, skirt flaring, shopaholics.... this is the typical sterotype seen in popular media......no this is not me

i like lipstick, i like makeup, i like shopping, i like skirts, shopping and all that ...... but sometimes jeans are just plain dandy!

I have never had my nails done professionally......nor my toes O_O (no one touches dah feet!!! ))

I have short hair...... I hate it, but it's a work in progress.

I can hang just fine with the boys/bois/men in my life. I have few female friends, mostly cuz they scare me!

You talk about makeup and well i know how to do my makeup one way.... goth

Yes in highschool i was the one in black leggings, a short skirt or cutoff shirts......combat boots, a sportsbra and a seethrough football jersy....all black.. or close to it anyway..... and yes the boots were shined ... i wore dark makeup, always had my hair in a pony tail and people gave me space and avoided me..... i was a introvert.... i am more extroverted these days.... the makeup, the dressing, that was as i've come now to realize a set of armor.... i lost the ablity to do it somewhere.... about the time i got into my last relationship.....

What to each of you who read this, What makes you femme? what makes you identify as femme?

i can't define femme as i am so confused now from all the various debates and threads on sexualilty.......am i thinking to much on it?

and if you ask anyone who "knows" me, they say i'm a girlie girl..... no idea why.... how does someone who is confused at this point, define themselves if the definitions themselves seem to be changing?

=Love shared is love doubled.... pain shared is pain cut in half..........share your life with me, and i'll share mine with you...
kassykit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kassykit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #2
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Kassy, just as you mentioned in your post, it's more of a feeling. You said butch didn't always mean dressing boylike but you knew you aren't one. It's the same with femme. If you feel it, then it is so.

There are tons of 'types' of femmes in this world of ours. Tomboy femmes, high femmes, lipstick femmes, and the list goes on. You should define yourself as YOU see yourself; no one else. After all, you have to live with you and the decisions you make for yourself.

For myself, I am femme because I am. I've known it since I first admitted (not realized...ADMITTED) that I wasn't straight. In the most simplistic view, I saw GLBTQ relationships as having a more feminine partner and a more masculine partner. I knew I was the more feminine partner from the beginning. Of course, as I've grown more comfortable with myself, I've realized that our kind of relationships are anything BUT simple. But I am still femme.

Some days, I like to get dressed up and do the heels and make up and whatnot. Some days I am very low key. It depends on what I feel like doing that day. I like to be pampered but I'm not going to get a mani or pedi every week (unless I win the lottery and then I'll have more time and funds to devote to stuff like that and then it still wouldn't be EVERY week).

So, don't worry about how others see you or if you are defining yourself 'right'. It's your label, if you choose to use one. You need to be okay with it before anyone else, after all, it's YOUR label.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Cool thread subject!

At first, when I came out in the early 80's, it was so not cool to be Femme and to be honest I fought being Femme. I was told I had to be submissive and a bottom to be Femme. Of course now I know that is not true.

I definitely have a guy side. I wear makeup sometimes, but not always. I love to watch cartoons with my hand in my pants like Al Bundy and burp aloud. I know way more about cars than my Butch G/F who used to work in a car factory.

I also had a childhood that made me want to hide my femininity and also did the Goth thing, though in college, not high school. I still tend to wear black a lot. Regular makeup is the same as Goth, just less harsh colors. Not sure what your coloring is, but I wear brown liner instead of black and so forth now. I would still do the Goth thing, but at 46, it does not seem like an option any more...I save it for parties from time to time.

No matter what I wear, or what I am doing I am girly, so I finally decided to accept it and go with being Femme.

There are all types of Femme, just enjoy being YOU!

That was kinda rambling, but I hope it helps.
Apocalipstic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apocalipstic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
kassykit

How Do You Identify?:
Just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her,
Relationship Status:
Single

kassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputationkassykit Has the BEST Reputation

So in other words, stop worrying so much about it?

Shoot i joke around and say i'm a manly man etc.......always makes my friends laugh.

I guess to me that's important, the laughter.

So can we have another labeL?

that of clown?

thank you for your post hun, i'll read it, digest it (after more coffee) an do up a replay with more questions if i fee its needed, thank you for being poliet! Now can soemone just hand me a book, or a program where i enter in my personality and it gives me answers? all this searchign mysef is at times painful and frustraiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Kassy, just as you mentioned in your post, it's more of a feeling. You said butch didn't always mean dressing boylike but you knew you aren't one. It's the same with femme. If you feel it, then it is so.

=Love shared is love doubled.... pain shared is pain cut in half..........share your life with me, and i'll share mine with you...
Old 11-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Yes, stop worrying so much about it.
Be whoever it is you feel you are and let the rest of the world deal with it.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
kassykit

How Do You Identify?:
Just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her,
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
Cool thread subject!

At first, when I came out in the early 80's, it was so not cool to be Femme and to be honest I fought being Femme. I was told I had to be submissive and a bottom to be Femme. Of course now I know that is not true.

I definitely have a guy side. I wear makeup sometimes, but not always. I love to watch cartoons with my hand in my pants like Al Bundy and burp aloud. I know way more about cars than my Butch G/F who used to work in a car factory.

I also had a childhood that made me want to hide my femininity and also did the Goth thing, though in college, not high school. I still tend to wear black a lot. Regular makeup is the same as Goth, just less harsh colors. Not sure what your coloring is, but I wear brown liner instead of black and so forth now. I would still do the Goth thing, but at 46, it does not seem like an option any more...I save it for parties from time to time.

No matter what I wear, or what I am doing I am girly, so I finally decided to accept it and go with being Femme.

There are all types of Femme, just enjoy being YOU!

That was kinda rambling, but I hope it helps.
Goth = not so dark makeup

So i can draw designs on my cheeks? -giggles-

And yes at 29 i've decided (well i decided at 25) that i needed to "grow" up and act more mainstream in order to succeed in this world!

And i enjoy rambling

Old 11-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
kassykit

How Do You Identify?:
Just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her,
Relationship Status:
Single

Ok first off i LOVE the piccy!! -points to dah kitty making the puppies sleep-

sometimes it's hard tojust be yourself, or at least it is for me!! which i suppose is why i'm soul searching

am hunting for answers, inside and outside......

thank you for your input

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFemmie View Post
Yes, stop worrying so much about it.
Be whoever it is you feel you are and let the rest of the world deal with it.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassykit View Post
Goth = not so dark makeup

So i can draw designs on my cheeks? -giggles-

And yes at 29 i've decided (well i decided at 25) that i needed to "grow" up and act more mainstream in order to succeed in this world!

And i enjoy rambling
If the designs are in a nice taupe and not for work! Laughhhhhhhhh!

Old 11-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
kassykit

How Do You Identify?:
Just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her,
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
If the designs are in a nice taupe and not for work! Laughhhhhhhhh!

but but butttt i buttt!!!

ok that enough buts?

and yeah, ohh btw, pink hair - much as i love pink hair- doesn't go over well at work either!!

Old 11-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
but but butttt i buttt!!!

ok that enough buts?

and yeah, ohh btw, pink hair - much as i love pink hair- doesn't go over well at work either!!

Depends on where you work, but for interviews I would go with something more mainstream.

Pink hair is lovely I agree.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
Sweet_Pea

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine
Relationship Status:
Married

Sweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

I dont like all the labels either, I am a really girly girl, I get manicures and pedicures, love makeup, and can spend hours on my hair. . .HOWEVERRRR... I dont like dresses, or high heels (i prefer comfort and high heels are torchure devices to me.). I wear flip flops in the freezing cold and love vans and tennis shoes. I know how to fish and can rig and bait my own hook (though i will NOT touch worms) and i dont mind getting my hands dirty, I drink beer, play texas hold em and cuss with my brothers. I am a single mother trying to teach my girls to be young ladies and my son to be a man.

I think if i had to label myself id just be a strong woman. . .Period.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #12
kassykit

How Do You Identify?:
Just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her,
Relationship Status:
Single

WOnder if people would get pissy if when asked i just say i'm a Mishy (my r/t nickname btw :P )

Guess i kind of just want to find where i fit..........but perhaps i should stop looking for where i fit, and make me a spot! ahh that is easier said then done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Pea View Post
I dont like all the labels either, I am a really girly girl, I get manicures and pedicures, love makeup, and can spend hours on my hair. . .HOWEVERRRR... I dont like dresses, or high heels (i prefer comfort and high heels are torchure devices to me.). I wear flip flops in the freezing cold and love vans and tennis shoes. I know how to fish and can rig and bait my own hook (though i will NOT touch worms) and i dont mind getting my hands dirty, I drink beer, play texas hold em and cuss with my brothers. I am a single mother trying to teach my girls to be young ladies and my son to be a man.

I think if i had to label myself id just be a strong woman. . .Period.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:52 PM   #13
Sweet_Pea

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine
Relationship Status:
Married

Sweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST ReputationSweet_Pea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
WOnder if people would get pissy if when asked i just say i'm a Mishy (my r/t nickname btw :P )

Guess i kind of just want to find where i fit..........but perhaps i should stop looking for where i fit, and make me a spot! ahh that is easier said then done...
Awesome!!! And when you find it save me a spot!
Old 11-24-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Thanked 2,376 Times in 616 Posts
blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
and if you ask anyone who "knows" me, they say i'm a girlie girl..... no idea why.... how does someone who is confused at this point, define themselves if the definitions themselves seem to be changing?
Doesn't it sometimes seem that the femme "label" is bestowed upon us like some gift? I've been called every version of femme in the book. And after awhile it irritated me. Who gave anyone permission to decide who I was? Or what "type" of femme I was because it suited their definition.

If femme resonates with you, make it your own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blush For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #15
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Kassy, I read your original post and I have to tell you, you're not alone in this world we've created, full of labels and identities. My GF is a jeans and tee shirt gal, but considers herself to be femme. She can dress up or down and never wears makeup because she's allergic to most all brands. Those here that know her, know what I mean. I often call her my tweener, but she hates the label, so I've taken to calling her toolbelt femme at times. She has more tools than I'd ever seen in one house and she can use all of them. I, on the other hand, consider myself to be a butch, but I'm not as good with tools as my GF....I have no depth perception, but it doesn't make me any less butch. I'm thankful to have a woman in my life that's better at the things I'm not good at. So, in the end, don't worry about what you wear or don't wear. You can be anyone you want to be and don't ever let anyone ever tell you different. How you feel from the inside out is totally up to you.
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #16
kassykit

How Do You Identify?:
Just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her,
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Pea View Post
Awesome!!! And when you find it save me a spot!
Will do !! a nice cushy spot!

Old 11-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #17
kassykit

How Do You Identify?:
Just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her,
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by blush View Post
Doesn't it sometimes seem that the femme "label" is bestowed upon us like some gift? I've been called every version of femme in the book. And after awhile it irritated me. Who gave anyone permission to decide who I was? Or what "type" of femme I was because it suited their definition.

If femme resonates with you, make it your own.
I am deffinately trying to do this! I like to know other peoples POV's cuz it opens to my mind! new roads and ways of thought!!

If i wanna be a flannelwearing, truckdriving cowgirl femme! then so be it! just because i like fannels doenst make me butch!

correct??

**disclaimer, there is nothing wrong with being butch, i just ain't

Old 11-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #18
kassykit

How Do You Identify?:
Just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her,
Relationship Status:
Single

Thank you ! sometimes when it comes to these labels i feel if i'm beating my head against a wall one day i will break down the wall and be comfy with being me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyOne View Post
Kassy, I read your original post and I have to tell you, you're not alone in this world we've created, full of labels and identities. My GF is a jeans and tee shirt gal, but considers herself to be femme. She can dress up or down and never wears makeup because she's allergic to most all brands. Those here that know her, know what I mean. I often call her my tweener, but she hates the label, so I've taken to calling her toolbelt femme at times. She has more tools than I'd ever seen in one house and she can use all of them. I, on the other hand, consider myself to be a butch, but I'm not as good with tools as my GF....I have no depth perception, but it doesn't make me any less butch. I'm thankful to have a woman in my life that's better at the things I'm not good at. So, in the end, don't worry about what you wear or don't wear. You can be anyone you want to be and don't ever let anyone ever tell you different. How you feel from the inside out is totally up to you.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:35 PM   #19
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Thank you ! sometimes when it comes to these labels i feel if i'm beating my head against a wall one day i will break down the wall and be comfy with being me!

Sometimes it takes years before one can be comfy with themselves. First you have to figure out who you are or want to be. I've seen gals transform from being a total femme to breaking out and becoming butch. What used to be expected of us is no longer something we have to stand behind. Sometimes all it takes is coming out to family and friends that makes us begin to feel comfy with who we are or who we want to grow into. Trust yourself and it'll all fall into place.
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #20
kassykit

How Do You Identify?:
Just me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her,
Relationship Status:
Single

i'm out, i'm just confused half the time about all the labels, and i get them mixed up and then people get angry!!

I think i like the idea of when asked if i'm butch, femme or a tweener, i'm going to start saying i'm me, mishy.....