Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Politics And Law

Old 03-24-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation
Default Only in Canada: Ann Coulter Silenced

Ann Coulter was *not* given a resounding welcome to the University of Ottawa. Protesters, estimated to be as many as 2000, prevented her from speaking, saying that her message of hate was not welcome there. Story here.

While part of me is pretty much tickled at this, I have mixed feelings. Personally, in view of many of the things she's said in the past, I question whether she should have even been allowed into the country. We have strict anit-hate laws here. Phelps et al were banned from entering last year when they planned on "protesting" at the funeral of a victim of a violent crime. But where does free speech begin and end?

Personally I find Ann Coulter's "logic" so asinine I can't believe people actually listen to her, but that's another whole thread.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Well, I found it funnier that she was going to a human right commission investigate Western and UofO for "discriminating" against her (http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2710026). Uh. Wut? She believes no other speaker has to face this, just her.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Go Canada!
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

I'm a firm beliver in the concept of Shunning, Isolation and The will of the people..

You can spout what ever you want, but we don't have to listen..
You can do what ever you want, but we don't have to put up with it..
If you can not act in a manner that the people have deemed to be in their best interest, then we invite you to leave this place and go to where your actions are better tolerated..

Free speech, in my mind, means I can state my point of view.. It doesn't mean that I can put a box up in the middle of a road to do it... Location isn't part of free speech.. In my mind..
Old 03-24-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Default Go Canada! The USA needs to follow Canada's Actions!

Folks like Ann Coulter, Rev. Fred Phelps, Rush Limbaugh, and others really bother me. I like it when their hate is silenced. It is not necessary in this day and age to spew hatred.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Mitmo01

How Do You Identify?:
Disobedient Thing...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Rebel Soul in the blood..Heathen as well
Relationship Status:
Marked and Loved....I Belong to Her....

Thanked 1,354 Times in 579 Posts
Mitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST ReputationMitmo01 Has the BEST Reputation

Talking Heads like this idiot have a right to express thier opinion in this country. We also have a right to not listen..what gets slippery is when you have a pulpit to espouse your views like fox news, talk radio, tv and your voice has sway over the millions of sheeple that buy the crock of shit that your spewing.....personally I think that ann coulter and rush limbaugh are assinine idiots but they have every right to say what they want as much as i have the right to say to them, I dont want to hear what your saying....

sometime the end result is horrible, ie--the denver radio talk show host Alan Berg..who got murdered for what he was saying...

but id rather hear the stupidity than have it be silenced outriight by the government because where does that stop?
Mitmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitmo01 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitmo01 View Post
Talking Heads like this idiot have a right to express thier opinion in this country. We also have a right to not listen..what gets slippery is when you have a pulpit to espouse your views like fox news, talk radio, tv and your voice has sway over the millions of sheeple that buy the crock of shit that your spewing.....personally I think that ann coulter and rush limbaugh are assinine idiots but they have every right to say what they want as much as i have the right to say to them, I dont want to hear what your saying....

sometime the end result is horrible, ie--the denver radio talk show host Alan Berg..who got murdered for what he was saying...

but id rather hear the stupidity than have it be silenced outriight by the government because where does that stop?

The Constitution is what stops it. Basically, in Canada you can say what you want but if what you say advocates violence against others (e.g., "Kill the <insert epitath>!! The holocaust was a lie!!") then, no, you can't say that. In Canada, that is akin to yelling Fire in the theater.

Honestly, it can work in Canada because of the way the society was made and because of the attitude there. It would never work in the US based on what I've seen thus far.

Last edited by Linus; 03-24-2010 at 11:49 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

can't you edit out Kill the M-Fing......

bad example man.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #9
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFemme View Post
can't you edit out Kill the M-Fing......

bad example man.
Apologies and good point.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #10
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Apologies and good point.
Thank you. I hope she opens her mouth too wide and gets arrested. I like the image of Coulter in hand-cuffs.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersuebee View Post
Ann Coulter was *not* given a resounding welcome to the University of Ottawa. Protesters, estimated to be as many as 2000, prevented her from speaking, saying that her message of hate was not welcome there. Story here.

While part of me is pretty much tickled at this, I have mixed feelings. Personally, in view of many of the things she's said in the past, I question whether she should have even been allowed into the country. We have strict anit-hate laws here. Phelps et al were banned from entering last year when they planned on "protesting" at the funeral of a victim of a violent crime. But where does free speech begin and end?

Personally I find Ann Coulter's "logic" so asinine I can't believe people actually listen to her, but that's another whole thread.

Free speech rights have such a thin line. I agree. Inciting hatred that leads to violence cannot be condoned, I believe. But, free speech has been the catalyst for so much good change historically in both your country and mine.

What I have a big problem with here in the US, is a mega-billionaire owning so much of cable news and other right-wing wealthy people controlling other media and using it as a propaganda pulpit for their views. And now in the US, the Supreme Court has given the wealthy corporations free rein with political contributions. This is not equal representation, nor is it free speech! Groups, individuals with opposing opinions that are not rich cannot reach the masses.

Coulter is an opportunistic, spoiled, rich, privileged white girl! Reminds me of Phyllis Schaffer (circa 1960's). To me, she is the rich, snotty, thin, blonde white girl with the BMW her father gave her for HS graduation riding off to an Ivy League university believing that is how everyone lives!!! And that this is her God given right. THAT is the basis of her internal logic! Just exercising my right to free speech... I’m glad the protestors shut her up!!!
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post

Free speech rights have such a thin line. I agree. Inciting hatred that leads to violence cannot be condoned, I believe. But, free speech has been the catalyst for so much good change historically in both your country and mine.

What I have a big problem with here in the US, is a mega-billionaire owning so much of cable news and other right-wing wealthy people controlling other media and using it as a propaganda pulpit for their views. And now in the US, the Supreme Court has given the wealthy corporations free rein with political contributions. This is not equal representation, nor is it free speech! Groups, individuals with opposing opinions that are not rich cannot reach the masses.

Coulter is an opportunistic, spoiled, rich, privileged white girl! Reminds me of Phyllis Schaffer (circa 1960's). To me, she is the rich, snotty, thin, blonde white girl with the BMW her father gave her for HS graduation riding off to an Ivy League university believing that is how everyone lives!!! And that this is her God given right. THAT is the basis of her internal logic! Just exercising my right to free speech... I’m glad the protestors shut her up!!!
While I was eating lunch in a little diner I could see on their TV that Fox "News" was running this story pretty-much non-stop. I couldn't hear what was being said, but it's interesting they'd pick up on such a small incident in - Canada - of all places! The one thing I did hear was that Coulter was blaming the University Provost for inciting the students, as he had sent Coulter an email warning her that criminal prosecution is possible if she were to flaunt the anti-hate laws here. Ummmmm - I do believe it was Coulter herself who leaked that message to the media.......the self-serving, dull-witted........ Grrrrrrrrr!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 12:32 PM   #13
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

She did leak it to the media and she supposedly canceled the speech - not the University as the media is making it sound.

What's "funny" is ... when a person like this opens her mouth, those who disagree or oppose her thinking WISHES someone would shut her up - and in this case, someone did. Ironically - she did it, and now cries she was discriminated against.

WTF?!?!

This "woman" is a fucking basket case.

That's MY opinion, freedom of speech and all.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 05:22 PM   #14
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Her version of the truth, as per usual, is a little bit inflated. Here's CBC's evening article on the story.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #15
Hudson

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Truth is stranger than fiction.

Hudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST ReputationHudson Has the BEST Reputation
Default Not so fast, Canada

Ray Charles silenced her from beyond the grave, right here in America.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Abg01gokXqY"]YouTube- Ray Charles interrupts Ann Coulter at Bridgeport Tea Party[/ame]
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hudson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #16
Linus

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Just... Wow.

I'm... Wow.

Old 03-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #17
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Is there any doubt tea-baggers are racist? No didn't think so. Bunch of scum.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #18
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default ann coulter gets pwned

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmcZG87Fmxc"]YouTube- Ann Coulter, Canada, & Vietnam[/nomedia]
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #19
evolveme

How Do You Identify?:
honeysuckle venom
Preferred Pronoun?:
a pistol and a sugar cane
Relationship Status:
I promise to aid and abet

Location: in between poems where ceilings are floors and joe ghost floats achromatic toward day
evolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputationevolveme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSoonIsNow View Post
This just made my fucking day, man.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #20
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Ray Charles silenced her from beyond the grave, right here in America.

YouTube- Ray Charles interrupts Ann Coulter at Bridgeport Tea Party
HAhahahahaha! Too funny!
Love me some first amendment...go Ray!
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote