cara

How Do You Identify?:
Queer/lesbian femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Married to my love 08.15.15

Thanked 13,254 Times in 2,724 Posts
cara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputation

I was just talking to one of my femme allies about this over the weekend!

I think some of the most important ways to be a femme ally have already been mentioned in this thread. To me, being a femme ally is also about being willing to do the work to form a bond or connection that is both healthy and sincere. A femme ally may not be your closest friend/s, but by very definition of the word, they *are* a friend. When push comes to shove, you know they'll have your back. If there is any doubt in my head about that, it's up to me to take the initial step to cultivate that ally-ship. And if the other person turns out to be a flake/user/butch's femme/whatever than it's important for me to recognize that, acknowledge it, and move on if needed.

Here are some real-life examples of how you can fuck up a femme ally-ship (yes, these things have all happened to me):
  • Withholding love/concern/friendship because you're not happy with me or a decision I've made
  • Going after my girlfriends (has happened twice by two different "best friends"!)
  • Talking negatively behind my back
  • Purposely leaving me out because I'm not ______ enough

And because I'm not perfect and know I've got my own work to do (Always!), here are some real-life examples of how I have fucked up some femme ally-ships.
  • Being afraid to bring up subjects that are difficult to talk about
  • Burying my head in the sand/refusing to take sides in an argument when deep down I know better and should be supporting my femme ally. (Note: This still doesn't mean I'm going to involve myself in your personal drama)
  • Gossiping
  • Being too stubborn to apologize when I realize I was in the wrong

To me, femme allies are just as important as my family, if not more so. Like everything important in life the more you put into an ally-ship, the stronger it will be.

cara

~Wade Davis
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to cara For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #22
deedarino

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Woman
Relationship Status:
In recovery.

Thanked 1,956 Times in 497 Posts
deedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputation

This is a BEAUTIFUL thread!!!

Femme Ally:

• Tells me; You DO look fat in those pants and don't ever put them on again...
  • Sticks up for my partner when I am bitching and reminds me how wonderful I think they are and how lucky I am to have them...
  • Worries about me when I am sad over a stupid mistake and texts stupid jokes trying to make me laugh
  • Giggling over "damn girl....she's/he's hot" with each others partner or potential partner, KNOWING there is never any way we would hurt each other over a butch.
  • Listens to the most boring details of my story, just because it is important to me...
  • Encourages my dreams no matter how many dreams have came and went...
  • Tells me when she knows someone is bad for me, even if she is afraid it will hurt me...especially then.

PS: I would do everyone of these things for her...I love my sisters.
Squint your eyes and look closer. I'm not between you and your ambitions. I am a poster girl with no poster. I am thirty-two flavors and then some. And I'm beyond your peripheral vision, so you might want to turn your head~Ani

I want to think again
of dangerous and noble things;
I want to be light and frolicsome;
I want to be improbable, beautiful
and afraid of nothing as if I had wings

Mary Oliver
deedarino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to deedarino For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #23
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

- don't tell a person she isn't a femme or isn't feminine if you know she identifies as a femme
- don't respond to a femme mentioning that she identifies as a femme by talking about high school and labels.
- don't feel pressured to identify just because she identifies
- don't compare her to straight girls OR tell her she's not queer or a lesbian
- remember some femmes do fuck/date/love men.
- if you are obviously queer, and you are out in public with her, realize it might be one of the few times in the day/week/month/year when she will be publically recognized as queer just by being in your presence (whether you are friend or lover). Let her bask in it a bit unless she doesn't like basking in it. I find it lovely to be in the company of obviously queer and/or lesbian folks because it's the only time I can be entirely authentic and STILL be read correctly. It puts my heart at ease.

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 11:30 PM   #24
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

i love this thread so much

these are qualities that are important to me in friendships...
fierce loving honest direct communication
being accountable when we fuck up
showing up for each other, especially when it's hard
being willing to stretch past our comfort zone for each other
listening and honoring our feelings (all of the time but especially) when we need to vent and we're just pissed off
sharing pleasure
being kind to each other
asking when we don't know, not assuming things about each others' identities, preferences, or anything else
standing up for each other
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2012, 01:57 AM   #25
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 4,261 Times in 677 Posts
Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation

Don't allow jealousy - of looks, of cleavage, of ability to do great make up, of brains (and yes, I'm guilty of all these) - get in the way of getting to know a fellow femme.

I've lost the chance to forge some great potential relationships by focusing on what 'she' has rather than what I have to offer in the way of genuine friendship and for that, I am truly sorry.

Words
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Words For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #26
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

another thing that is important...

acknowledge us! let us know you see us (and love and accept us!) for who we really are! i was talking to my partner last night and to me that's one of the most wonderful things he's ever done for me.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #27
Dude

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Perusing

Thanked 10,606 Times in 1,477 Posts
Dude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST ReputationDude Has the BEST Reputation

by recognizing how brave they are to come out
over and over

acknowledging how fn easy some of us butches have it
because it's written all over our face
we don't have to sayyyyy a word
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Dude For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2012, 07:59 AM   #28
deedarino

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Woman
Relationship Status:
In recovery.

Thanked 1,956 Times in 497 Posts
deedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputationdeedarino Has the BEST Reputation

But oh! the blessing it is to have a friend to whom one can speak fearlessly on any subject; with whom one's deepest as well as one's most foolish thoughts come out simply and safely. Oh, the comfort - the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a person - having neither to weigh thoughts nor measure words, but pouring them all right out, just as they are, chaff and grain together; certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, keep what is worth keeping, and then with the breath of kindness blow the rest away. ~Dinah Craik, A Life for a Life, 1859
Squint your eyes and look closer. I'm not between you and your ambitions. I am a poster girl with no poster. I am thirty-two flavors and then some. And I'm beyond your peripheral vision, so you might want to turn your head~Ani

I want to think again
of dangerous and noble things;
I want to be light and frolicsome;
I want to be improbable, beautiful
and afraid of nothing as if I had wings

Mary Oliver
deedarino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deedarino For This Useful Post: