Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 09-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
Open to healthy possibilities...

Thanked 1,628 Times in 393 Posts
Elijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST Reputation
Default Gastric Bypass, Lap Band Surgery and the Like.

I was wondering if anyone had ever had one of these procedures? And if so if you would be willing to talk about the benefits vs. the draw backs.

This is something I am considering, which is where My curiosity comes from.

~Elijah

~Washington Irving
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

I just wanted to give this topic a bump, b/c I think it is a good one.

I have known two people who had the gastric bypass, one the sleeve, and three the lap band.

All of them are doing well.

The two who had the bypass had it many years ago and it seems to me that there are more restrictions (afterwards) with that procedure and also you have to be more careful with making sure you get enough protein each day moreso than the other two. But, that is me from the outside.

Good luck with your decision and I hope some people come in here and post.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
bigbutchmistie

How Do You Identify?:
Since You Need A Label. Butch
Relationship Status:
Still Dreaming Of My Happily Ever After

Thanked 5,364 Times in 1,941 Posts
bigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputation

I wanna have the lap band done. For health reasons. I have an ex who had the lap band done and she does well. I am glad this thread exists. I will be happy to read all input....
bigbutchmistie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Delish

How Do You Identify?:
Queen of our castle
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
She put a ring on it and the date is set :)

Delish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST Reputation

I actually just had the Lapband done 3 days ago I am sore, slow walking, hard to get up as u aren't suppose to push, pull or stretch, HATING the liquid diet(mainly the broth) that u must do for 2 weeks after BUT I think overall in the long run, I would do it again I still have some swelling so I haven't weighed yet. My Dr appt is Sept 22. I can't wait to see how much I have lost at that time
Old 09-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
sweetfemme247

How Do You Identify?:
fem
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme, she, her, baby, sweetie
Relationship Status:
holding my heart close and putting back up a wall

sweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputationsweetfemme247 Has the BEST Reputation

Good for you all... i dont need it, but i know someone who had it she weighed about 400 pounds and she now down to 189 some where around there.

Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; it is something you design for the present.
Jim Rohn
sweetfemme247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #6
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:

Elijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks Dapper...I just had lunch (ironically enough) with a friend who had the sleeve procedure 6 weeks ago. She has lost 32 pds. since the surgery 6 weeks ago (and another 18 preoperatively) and has had no complications thus far.

I am heavily leaning the direction of the sleeve. It doesn't "bypass" any of the areas of your stomach, so nutritional absorption isn't inhibited, except by dietary restrictions, which are temporary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
I just wanted to give this topic a bump, b/c I think it is a good one.

I have known two people who had the gastric bypass, one the sleeve, and three the lap band.

All of them are doing well.

The two who had the bypass had it many years ago and it seems to me that there are more restrictions (afterwards) with that procedure and also you have to be more careful with making sure you get enough protein each day moreso than the other two. But, that is me from the outside.

Good luck with your decision and I hope some people come in here and post.

~Washington Irving
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:

Thanks for coming in and sharing, I would be interested in updates on your progress periodically if that's comfortable for you. I hope the healing process isn't too uncomfortable and it's everything you hoped.

May I ask what finally prompted you to make the decision to go forward with it?

~Elijah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delish View Post
I actually just had the Lapband done 3 days ago I am sore, slow walking, hard to get up as u aren't suppose to push, pull or stretch, HATING the liquid diet(mainly the broth) that u must do for 2 weeks after BUT I think overall in the long run, I would do it again I still have some swelling so I haven't weighed yet. My Dr appt is Sept 22. I can't wait to see how much I have lost at that time

~Washington Irving
Old 09-11-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
Delish

How Do You Identify?:
Queen of our castle
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Delish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST ReputationDelish Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahRene View Post
Thanks for coming in and sharing, I would be interested in updates on your progress periodically if that's comfortable for you. I hope the healing process isn't too uncomfortable and it's everything you hoped.

May I ask what finally prompted you to make the decision to go forward with it?

~Elijah
Oh I don't mind sharing any info
I have lupus. Over the past 3 yrs I have put on about 100 lbs off and on...70 for the most part. I'm not uncomfortable with my weight but my knees are lol. I can't wear heels like I use to. When my Rheumotoligist gave me the ok to have surgery I jumped at it! I have heard some very positive stories of the Lapband and I look forward to being able to share mine
Old 09-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #9
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:

Thank you...I look forward to following your story. Meanwhile, I will be signing up for a seminar at a Clinic in Michigan to get some more information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delish View Post
Oh I don't mind sharing any info
I have lupus. Over the past 3 yrs I have put on about 100 lbs off and on...70 for the most part. I'm not uncomfortable with my weight but my knees are lol. I can't wear heels like I use to. When my Rheumotoligist gave me the ok to have surgery I jumped at it! I have heard some very positive stories of the Lapband and I look forward to being able to share mine

~Washington Irving
Old 09-11-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
ArkansasPiscesGrrl

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
feeling pretty darned blissful right now!

Thanked 3,080 Times in 741 Posts
ArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST ReputationArkansasPiscesGrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I had gastric bypass surgery in April 2003. I lost 1/2 of my total body weight within 15 months. There is a normal "bounce back" on most patients, from what I was told, and over the remaining years I have perhaps put back on about 25#. I would classify myself today as being about 50# over what I would like to weigh.

I still cannot eat certain foods, but that is ok. Can't do sodas anymore because of the carbonation (however, when I was drinking post surgery, I sure as hell had no problem with beers! Don't know how THAT worked!)

The woman I room with just had a major heart attack last week, and is home now. I think that doing a heart healthy diet would be a good thing for BOTH of us! that and exercize. I need to make myself step away from the computer and walk a couple of times a day. (I am self employed here at home, and spend hours and hours in front of my computer)
ArkansasPiscesGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArkansasPiscesGrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #11
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:

Thank you...all good information. Clearly it's not a cure all, but a good jump start for some. Good luck with the walking, I should do that Myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasPiscesGrrl View Post
I had gastric bypass surgery in April 2003. I lost 1/2 of my total body weight within 15 months. There is a normal "bounce back" on most patients, from what I was told, and over the remaining years I have perhaps put back on about 25#. I would classify myself today as being about 50# over what I would like to weigh.

I still cannot eat certain foods, but that is ok. Can't do sodas anymore because of the carbonation (however, when I was drinking post surgery, I sure as hell had no problem with beers! Don't know how THAT worked!)

The woman I room with just had a major heart attack last week, and is home now. I think that doing a heart healthy diet would be a good thing for BOTH of us! that and exercize. I need to make myself step away from the computer and walk a couple of times a day. (I am self employed here at home, and spend hours and hours in front of my computer)

~Washington Irving
Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #12
Delish

How Do You Identify?:
Queen of our castle
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Today was my 1st weigh in and my 2nd week post op check up. I am down 20 lbs!!! Yay me!! I am super excited!
Old 09-22-2011, 06:58 PM   #13
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahRene View Post
Thanks Dapper...I just had lunch (ironically enough) with a friend who had the sleeve procedure 6 weeks ago. She has lost 32 pds. since the surgery 6 weeks ago (and another 18 preoperatively) and has had no complications thus far.

I am heavily leaning the direction of the sleeve. It doesn't "bypass" any of the areas of your stomach, so nutritional absorption isn't inhibited, except by dietary restrictions, which are temporary.
One of the things my client said that she liked about the sleeve was not having to go for the "fills" that one has with the lap band. It has been about 6 months for her now and she feels great (and looks great).

The BAD thing is that she has not been to the doc for any follow up visits...her insurance ran out right after the surgery (she had already been off work for 2 years on long term disability for others reasons, so it was just a time thing). She is fortunate that she has not had any complications.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #14
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

Thanked 3,220 Times in 753 Posts
ScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST Reputation

I have also been encouraged by my doctor to go to the consultation to see if I qualify for the surgery. I've been experiencing swelling in my extremities and my joints are starting to give me trouble. Is there a particular way you need to go about answering the questions in order to get your insurance to cover the procedure?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
Delish

How Do You Identify?:
Queen of our castle
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandalAndy View Post
I have also been encouraged by my doctor to go to the consultation to see if I qualify for the surgery. I've been experiencing swelling in my extremities and my joints are starting to give me trouble. Is there a particular way you need to go about answering the questions in order to get your insurance to cover the procedure?
The more problems you have, the faster insurance may accept lol. Its a game u have to play. AND if the ins requests u to go on a 6 mo diet, do not loose weight. Its a ploy to see if u can loose it without surgery. If ur ins does require u to wait 6 mo, it will be worth it
Old 09-22-2011, 07:49 PM   #16
Luv

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 1,216 Times in 366 Posts
Luv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST Reputation

I had the Lapband for 3 yrs,,I had many fills and unfills because my stomach would swell shut where the band was. I also found a moth or so after the surgery if I ate too fast or just a little too much I would throw up and it would even come through my nose..and in the mornings I couldnt eat or drink anything for a few hours. It got to where after a fill Id have a popsicle at 4pm and throw it up at 10pm when I layed down to sleep.

So we sent in a request to my insurance for Lapband removal and for them to do the RNY (gastric bypass)..the problem with the Lapband removal was I had a 6 band which they dont use anymore,,but if there was damage to the stomach during the removal they might have to do the gastric sleeve,,either the RNY or the Gastric Sleeve would have been a winner for me. I am 3 yrs out and put on about 25 lbs of what I have lost but it is coming back off. I do not like milk anymore and really dont care for ice cream anymore..every thing else I can eat and drink just in moderation

Last edited by Luv; 09-22-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Luv For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #17
Delish

How Do You Identify?:
Queen of our castle
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Luv I remember (from the other site) when u had this done. I hate u had such a bad time and I PRAY I don't. So far so good. I started my puree stage tonight and I pureed some tuna salad and so far so good I actually got full on less than 1/2 cup.
Good luck!
Old 09-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #18
Luv

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

Luv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST Reputation

Mash potatoes go down good and sugar free pudding

Last edited by Luv; 09-22-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #19
Delish

How Do You Identify?:
Queen of our castle
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:

Well I figure I would try pureeing some meat things so that I can get enough protein in my system
Old 09-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #20
Luv

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

alot of people use babyfood,,and also campbells has that soup on hand its pureed veggie soup,chicken soup and tortilla soup and creamy tomato soup..also get some sugar free popsicles those seemed to help me alot

The Following User Says Thank You to Luv For This Useful Post: