Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:23 AM   #1
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Couch Surfing

I ran across this site www.couchsurfing.org and thought how cool it would be to have something like this just for queers. If you think its a good idea maybe we can convince admin to start an area to post a main category for individual post.

Is it safe? read the site. Its pretty cool the way they set it up and people verify each other.

what are your thoughts and would you do it?
The Following User Says Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

I love meeting people from all over yes I would do it and I think that it is safe!!
lipstixgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstixgal View Post
I love meeting people from all over yes I would do it and I think that it is safe!!
Its very cool how they set it up. You donate money yes, any amount more to verify who you are. Then they send you a post card to the address and a number. You must enter it to become verified. Then people add comments, sort of like reviews and your friends. It gives you additional piece of mind.

If I didnt have all of that I think I might be limited in my criteria. You'd obviously want to check them out surfing or hosting.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:42 AM   #4
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
Its very cool how they set it up. You donate money yes, any amount more to verify who you are. Then they send you a post card to the address and a number. You must enter it to become verified. Then people add comments, sort of like reviews and your friends. It gives you additional piece of mind.

If I didnt have all of that I think I might be limited in my criteria. You'd obviously want to check them out surfing or hosting.
It's a small fee and you get to check them out and surf..I like the fact it gives you peace of mind!!
lipstixgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:49 AM   #5
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipstixgal View Post
It's a small fee and you get to check them out and surf..I like the fact it gives you peace of mind!!
I'll probably surf just as soon as I find a reliable house-sitter/helper. I actual found the link from someone here, their blog so I am hoping she will chime in and tell us what she thinks.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #6
Nawen

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Name, please, English is not my language :) .

Nawen Has the BEST ReputationNawen Has the BEST ReputationNawen Has the BEST ReputationNawen Has the BEST ReputationNawen Has the BEST ReputationNawen Has the BEST ReputationNawen Has the BEST ReputationNawen Has the BEST ReputationNawen Has the BEST ReputationNawen Has the BEST ReputationNawen Has the BEST Reputation

I have friends that went couchsurfing and had no problems.
They loved it!

There are, as far as I know, queer-oriented groups on that site - that might make finding hosts (or being one) easier .

Couchsurfing is something that I want to throw myself into as soon as I get some free time.
I'll probably start by hosting (more probably guiding/meeting for a coffee, since I'm low on free beds) and meeting some people from the area.

There are good tips on how to be a good host/guest, and I think they'd be good in life in general, not just for couchsurfing.

Enjoy , if/when you go for it!
Nawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,620 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

there is no way I would do this, nor host someone. To me, this is something that looks good in theory but in practice could be material for a sad ending book.

I am not as trusting as I once was. I am not as open as I once was.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:43 PM   #8
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by softness View Post
there is no way I would do this, nor host someone. To me, this is something that looks good in theory but in practice could be material for a sad ending book.

I am not as trusting as I once was. I am not as open as I once was.

I agree, I couldn't do it either for the same reasons

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #9
Maria

How Do You Identify?:
Regular, with sugar

Thanked 1,335 Times in 501 Posts
Maria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST ReputationMaria Has the BEST Reputation

I know several people who've done this in conjunction with backpacking trips, all with good results. I suppose it is risky to some extent but so is much about travel.
Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maria For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

I can see where trouble might lie and people being taken advantage of. If you've been hurt then you might be more cautious but you need to take the romantic equation totally out of this. Its not the same thing.

I'll see I can get the person here involved and give feed back. If you explore the site you'll see the safe guards they use and verification. It would be hard for me to host mainly because of all the dogs and I need to expand. I dont have much free time to play house host but that might change in the future.

Its not for everyone but its a great way to meet interesting people.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
ComparedToWhom

How Do You Identify?:
oh geez, a box... if I must, I"ll go with GeNdErQuEeR (100% all-natural, organic)
Preferred Pronoun?:
don't care as long as it's said respectfully
Relationship Status:
Rolling solo

Location: On the road/trail (see pic)... refuel in the Valley of the Sun (AZ)
ComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST Reputation

I'm the member referenced above. Since I'm posting this via my phone, I'll simply say CouchSurfing has changed my life.... & that I'm currently hosting someone now...Woot! When I get an opportunity I'll come back and elaborate...

ComparedToWhom

~~sent via my Etch-A-Sketch by pure magic
ComparedToWhom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComparedToWhom View Post
I'm the member referenced above. Since I'm posting this via my phone, I'll simply say CouchSurfing has changed my life.... & that I'm currently hosting someone now...Woot! When I get an opportunity I'll come back and elaborate...

ComparedToWhom

~~sent via my Etch-A-Sketch by pure magic
excellent! I look forward to your post and a bit about your adventures.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #13
ComparedToWhom

How Do You Identify?:
oh geez, a box... if I must, I"ll go with GeNdErQuEeR (100% all-natural, organic)
Preferred Pronoun?:
don't care as long as it's said respectfully
Relationship Status:
Rolling solo

Location: On the road/trail (see pic)... refuel in the Valley of the Sun (AZ)
ComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST ReputationComparedToWhom Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

If someone had asked me a few years ago how I felt about having strangers in my home or staying with strangers in their home I would have resoundingly replied "Um, NO." However, during a motorized two-wheeled journey to Alaska I crossed paths with a plethora of other adventurers. I spent a few days with one in particular (who happened to be cycling from AK to Argentina) and we continued to developed our friendship even after I returned from my journey. I received a call from him one day a few months later and he asked if I could possibly help out a long-distance cyclist friend of his who was heading my direction with both knee and bike issues, even if it was just to offer tent space in my backyard. I took the opportunity to pay it forward, and I welcomed one kick-ass recent college grad into my home. It was during his time with me that he asked if I knew about CouchSurfing, then explained I was essentially "hosting" him. He answered all my questions, showed me how to navigate the website, told me of his wonderful stories of "surfing" with people while on his ride from Vancouver down the West Coast, etc. I joined CS after having such a great experience with him. That was almost 2 years ago. I have since hosted over 25 people, ranging in ages 19 to 73 from every demographic and region known (sans Antarctica). The stories I have heard are better than any documentary you'll *ever* see. I could write a book about them, some would require their own book they were so freakin' amazing and inspiring. I have surfed myself about 10 times in the US & Canada. I stay in contact with most of the people I've met, several I have no doubt will be life-long friends. I have standing invites to revisit all the places (er, people) I've surfed as well as invitations to visit the those I've hosted (which includes Belgium, Germany, Finland, Canada, France, Argentina, Africa, Madagascar, as well as 9 US states).

It may sound trite, but CS has most definitely made an impact in my life as it has renewed my sense of the human spirit. In a world full of fear and ever-present "breaking news" of why you should be very afraid and trust no one, we forget that there are some damn good people out there who, by keeping our doors locked and saying "Uh, NO", we miss great opportunities to share and learn about each other and ourselves. That being said, there are people who are actively involved in CS who are unable to host or surf for whatever reason (typically it's a disagreeing spouse/roommate or their living arrangement isn't conducive to hosting even their own personal friend). I know quite a few folks who are active CS'ers who fall into this category. They participate by joining their local CS group (there is a big group where I'm located that meets frequently to do/attend various social activities. You make new friends VERY easy, many of which you may not have the opportunity to do so otherwise since you don't run in their circle of activities, people, etc . Within CS'ing there are seemingly endless "groups" that you can join based on interests, location, types of travel, style of travel (hike, bike, fly, etc), and, yes, even sexual orientation/gender. In fact the largest group on CS is the "Queer" group (I think it's 10 times larger than any other group). That being said, there is no need IMHO to seek safety in a particular group as those who travel typically are a welcoming, open-minded group of people. ("Nothing breaks down stereotypes as effectively as travel".) I've had nothing but positive experiences and I've not personally heard of anyone who has had a negative one.

I'll see if I can answer a few questions in bulk that might be circulating at this point...

"How do you know it's safe???!!!!" (Typically the first question I get while trying to explain CS). Each personal who joins CS creates a profile. (Btw, you do not need to pay to join, donations are encouraged which starts a process to get you verified. Personally, I don't look to see if someone is verified or not) when considering to host/surf with them). A profile tells you a lot about a person, their interests, ideas, type of "couch" offered, etc., etc. When you host/surf/meet someone you can leave them a "Reference". Think of the reference system like the eBay feedback system. If there was an item you wanted on eBay and the seller had glowing, 100% positive feedback over multiple transactions would you be hesitant to buy the item? Same with CS'ing... the written references let you know what other hosts/surfers have experienced. Those with negative references get weeded out quickly (so quickly I've never seen a negative entry). Profiles are for letting people know what parameters or expectations you have (no smoking, must leave in the morning when I go to work, must be okay with my pet alligator, etc) and what you are about (love wine, vegan, have several felines, go to bed early, etc... btw, none of that is true for me!). I clearly state in my profile who I am and what I'm about (I think I use a phrase like "I look forward to meeting other GLBTQ travelers as well as ANYONE who lives with respect for others"... or something along those lines).

There is no commitment. You are not obligated to surf or host anyone at any time. You can say "No" to as many "Request To Surf" as you'd like, and you determine when they arrive and leave. (You getting the idea you have more control than you may think). Hosts may have a comfy couch, maybe an air mattress, a spare bedroom, or something else (I stayed in a detached guest house once).

So, who is a CS'er? There absolutely is NO demographic or stereotypical surfer/host. I've stayed in minimalistic places and I've stayed in multi-million dollar homes (yeah, some "famous" people yearn for connections to "real" people who don't see them for what they've accomplished but rather for who they are). I know for me personally I'd much, MUCH rather surf with someone than stay in a hotel. Since I've found CS, I despise staying in hotels, not because of a financial issue but because I know I'll likely leave with nothing but a generic experience and no substantial memories. Staying in a home of a local resident gives me the inside scoop on what to do/not do in the area, possibly a tour of the town/share a meal, etc (not gonna get that at the Holiday Inn Express!), and the chance to meet and share stories with a fellow human being. CS is not about a free place to stay, it's about connections with people. For those with a philosophy that it's not how far we travel in life but who we meet along the way that matters most, CS is a perfect fit.

Holy crap, did I just write all that above?? Well, for the record, I have no connection to CS other than being a very happy member (I just re-read the above and it kinda sounded like a sales pitch-lol!). Be glad to answer any questions. Also, if you are a CS'er, shoot me a PM so I can give you my screen name.

ComparedToWhom

Last edited by ComparedToWhom; 09-03-2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Hey, there really is an "edit" button!
ComparedToWhom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComparedToWhom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #14
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

I would definitely partake of this group. I recently joined but haven't filled out my profile enough (and prob don't think there are too many surfers in need of a couch in my area). I think it's a great resource/idea. I can't believe how large it's grown since I looked into it years ago!
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote