Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Natural Healing for Pets

I just posted something for ticks and fleas that works on my blog:
http://farmgoddess.com/?p=164

It's pretty funny because I wasn't sure it worked because I use so many things to naturally combat pest, including my hens. After a trip down to the creek I checked my dogs for ticks and they didnt have even one. I, however had FIVE. So now I'm taking what my dogs are taking.

Anyhow I thought it would be great to talk about natural healing as well as the emotional well being of your pets. I take care of other people's dogs and it hurts my heart when I'm instructed to give them medications I know have harmful side effects. Thousands of dollars later they are often in worse shape then when they started.

It pisses me off when i read controversy over natural home remedies. The pharmaceutical companies know how precious our pets are to us. It also pisses me off that pet food isn't regulated better and that 1000's of pets can die because of it. I am at the point where I might start making my pets food again because everytime you turn around you hear about another recall.

I feed my dogs, chickens, pigs and cats all kinds of foods and herbs that help them. Yogurt, sweet potatoes, even fresh herbs I grow in summer. I buy apples for them, nuts, whatever I can get on sale and hopefully organic or at least natural.

My poor pig is allergic to hay and most bedding. Every winter she gets sores all over her scratches them and they break open. Not long ago I had a bad cold, sinus infection, in my chest and it seemed to linger on. Desperate I bought Grapefruit Seed Extract. I was amazed how quickly it knocked it out. I decided to give some to Lilly and sure enough they are going away and she's looking great.

So I'd love to hear from you. Ideas, tips, comments.

Thanks,
Tamara
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #2
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,621 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

omg..you had FIVE ticks on you??? Girl....makes me want to cringe!

I like your natural tick and flea repellant. I have heard people using that on horses too, fyi....
Old 06-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by softness View Post
omg..you had FIVE ticks on you??? Girl....makes me want to cringe!

I like your natural tick and flea repellant. I have heard people using that on horses too, fyi....
yep FIVE and two them attached. Someone just sent me a message from my blog saying they gave it horses for flies as well. I'm buying a gallon and giving to my pig. They just love her.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanent ban 3/17/2013 - TROLL
Relationship Status:
Partner to my best friend

Thanked 1,874 Times in 485 Posts
ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

I have given my cats and dogs supplements with brewer's yeast in them for years and have NEVER had a flea or tick on any of them. Great thread!
ButchEire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchEire View Post
I have given my cats and dogs supplements with brewer's yeast in them for years and have NEVER had a flea or tick on any of them. Great thread!
Is that just from the yeast or other supplements? Please share
Old 06-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

ButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST ReputationButchEire Has the BEST Reputation

From what I read years ago, it's the yeast. I add a powdered comprehensive supplement from only natural pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
Is that just from the yeast or other supplements? Please share
Old 06-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 5,249 Times in 2,216 Posts
Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

One thing I do is give my cats and Dino garlic. They all love garlic. I grow garlic chives and the cats eat that. Dino eats garlic on his dry and wet food. Just a dash of it. I think some of the pet meds that are for fleas, ticks, and heartworm just are a gimmick. I love animals of all kinds. I too hate to see any animal suffer.
Andrew, Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
From what I read years ago, it's the yeast. I add a powdered comprehensive supplement from only natural pet.
Yes you could be right but I think the vinegar and garlic create a scent that keeps them from even jumping on. I'm telling you, I had FIVE ticks and not even ONE jumped on my dogs
Old 06-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

Thats great! Hate using any chemicals for anything and I try to at least use pet-safe products, even for everyday cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
Yes you could be right but I think the vinegar and garlic create a scent that keeps them from even jumping on. I'm telling you, I had FIVE ticks and not even ONE jumped on my dogs
Old 06-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post

One thing I do is give my cats and Dino garlic. They all love garlic. I grow garlic chives and the cats eat that. Dino eats garlic on his dry and wet food. Just a dash of it. I think some of the pet meds that are for fleas, ticks, and heartworm just are a gimmick. I love animals of all kinds. I too hate to see any animal suffer.
I remember being put off by the whole garlic idea because of media. It didnt make sense and lets face it, when it comes to our babies we take no chances. But when i apply the same mindset to my pets as i do with my own personal health then why not?

We;ve seen far more controversy over so-called "commercial" treatments and with such serious side effects. Does anyone remember the propaganda when holistic's started to take hold and people started paying attention? Even today they send out releases about the negative effectives of organics. It make you really scratch your head and say WTF?
Old 06-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #11
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

New post on my blog about dog food

http://farmgoddess.com/?p=166

Let's talk about it and alternatives.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:25 PM   #12
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

When I had my dog, I had a friend that worked for a vet and she bottled up some brewers yeast tablets for me with instructions for the weight of my dog. My dog loved the tablets and would gobble them up. Fast forward to my cats and it's not happening unless I hold their mouths shut like when giving them a pill. So, I will not subject my cats to that and wished they'd like it as well as my dog once did. Oh and putting it in their food doesn't work either. Finicky little things have us trained so damn well, lol.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #13
ButchEire
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

What about using brewer's yeast powder and adding just a bit in their wet food?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyOne View Post
When I had my dog, I had a friend that worked for a vet and she bottled up some brewers yeast tablets for me with instructions for the weight of my dog. My dog loved the tablets and would gobble them up. Fast forward to my cats and it's not happening unless I hold their mouths shut like when giving them a pill. So, I will not subject my cats to that and wished they'd like it as well as my dog once did. Oh and putting it in their food doesn't work either. Finicky little things have us trained so damn well, lol.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #14
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Andrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST ReputationAndrew, Jr. Has the BEST Reputation
Unhappy

Tonight I am sitting on the deck, smoking a really good cigar, and all the furkids are outside with me. The next thing I know, Sophie, my elderly cat of 18+ years, decides to jump up to the hand railing. Instead of reaching the railing she missing and falls over the deck, hits her head on my neighbor's fence, and falls on the concrete patio below. O M G! I am frantic because he isn't home. And we both lock our gates. So, I pull out a shovel, put out the cigar. And I dig a hole inbetween the fences. I call her name for a good 10 - 15 minutes and finally she comes to me. And I pull her thru. No bleeding, no nothing visable on the outside. I know she is bruised. Now she is inside and eating some treats. It is tough being a Dad. I hate to see any furkid hurt or crying. Oh, this just took my breath away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrew, Jr. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #15
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

Quote:

Tonight I am sitting on the deck, smoking a really good cigar, and all the furkids are outside with me. The next thing I know, Sophie, my elderly cat of 18+ years, decides to jump up to the hand railing. Instead of reaching the railing she missing and falls over the deck, hits her head on my neighbor's fence, and falls on the concrete patio below. O M G! I am frantic because he isn't home. And we both lock our gates. So, I pull out a shovel, put out the cigar. And I dig a hole inbetween the fences. I call her name for a good 10 - 15 minutes and finally she comes to me. And I pull her thru. No bleeding, no nothing visable on the outside. I know she is bruised. Now she is inside and eating some treats. It is tough being a Dad. I hate to see any furkid hurt or crying. Oh, this just took my breath away.
I'm sure she'll be ok.She's probably also scared. Just keep an eye on her. make sure she rest and doesn't jump around.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #16
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
What about using brewer's yeast powder and adding just a bit in their wet food?
I would still use the vinegar and see how that goes. The vinegar is also good for digestion system and much more. Everyone has mixed feelings on garlic. I use it on my animals no problem. I even give it to my pig. Since I gave her vinegar and garlic I notice less flies on her.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:25 PM   #17
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

FYI I'm doing long term boarding and swamped. I have a Shepard mix and retriever. They are taking Sentinel and both had ticks after a long walk. My dogs had none.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #18
Andrew, Jr.
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Smile A Movie to Watch

I just watched a wonderful movie called "Hachi - A dog's Tale" with Richard Gere. It's rated G, and a sweet, calm movie. I loved it. My last dog was identical to Hachi but in color. I hope you all find this movie just as I did - wonderful.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #19
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

Quote:

I just watched a wonderful movie called "Hachi - A dog's Tale" with Richard Gere. It's rated G, and a sweet, calm movie. I loved it. My last dog was identical to Hachi but in color. I hope you all find this movie just as I did - wonderful.
omg I cried watching that movie
Old 07-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #20
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Member Photo Albums

I watched another on netflix called Shiloh. really sad, cute