Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 09-24-2010, 12:25 AM   #1
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,619 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation
Default skills needed

....of all the wonderful domestic skills I aquired, sewing is not one of them. I am seeking someone who has sewing skills and would be willing to help me out. I will gladly pay for this help. Or we can barter.

I have favorite curtains. they are straight panels, primitive check. I need to take two panels and make 6 valances out of them. I had this done before so I know it will be enough material. Its a straight cut and a straight sew job. I just cant do it.

And there is no dead line. I would like them back before the holidays so they can be up for family visits.

I think this thread would be a wonderful place to swap skills to help each other out. Because of distance, we must think practically and determine if its feasible. But something like my curtains would be.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
cara

How Do You Identify?:
Queer/lesbian femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Married to my love 08.15.15

Thanked 13,254 Times in 2,724 Posts
cara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputation

Good idea, softness!

I have a sewing machine and can sew. However, I have not used said machine in over 2 years and after 4 moves within those 2 years, I think it would be wise to take the machine in for a tune up before I attempt to sew anything on it. Hopefully someone closer to you will be able to help?

Good luck!!!

~Wade Davis
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,619 Times in 3,976 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

well I have tried family and friends. None sew or if they do, they dont have the time.

I am in no hurry, as I said. But these are my favorite curtains and this is my last house. They are going to go up on my windows!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by softness View Post
....of all the wonderful domestic skills I aquired, sewing is not one of them. I am seeking someone who has sewing skills and would be willing to help me out. I will gladly pay for this help. Or we can barter.

I have favorite curtains. they are straight panels, primitive check. I need to take two panels and make 6 valances out of them. I had this done before so I know it will be enough material. Its a straight cut and a straight sew job. I just cant do it.

And there is no dead line. I would like them back before the holidays so they can be up for family visits.

I think this thread would be a wonderful place to swap skills to help each other out. Because of distance, we must think practically and determine if its feasible. But something like my curtains would be.
A couple of thoughts on what you are looking for...

Have you thought of contacting one of your local retirement communities or senior community centers? My assistant did this and found a lovely lil ole lady who gladly taught her how to sew for no money, just to have a weekly visitor.

The small church across the street has a weekly senior ladies brunch and I want to learn how to hand quilt properly. When (not if!) its next on my list, I plan on popping over one morning, some baked goodie in hand to inquire if there is anyone who would be willing to teach me.

If you can't find someone, you might also consider what I call the non-sewers miracle - "Stitch Witch" - its the iron-able mesh adhesive. You can pin in your seams and rod pockets and iron away! If you want to try this, I would be glad to try and walk you through it on the phone. I have used it several times for simple curtain/window treatment projects.

You might also consider posting a note at a local sewing/fabric shop offering to barter for what you need.

Good luck!
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

MOrning
Check at your local trade school and see if they have a class for home skills,Some of he students may be able to do it for the experence and or grade with the teachers guidance.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote