Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

View Poll Results: What color would you like the first swapghan to be? (Please vote ONLY if you are participating)
Purple (any shade of including variegated) 2 6.45%
Neutral 5 16.13%
Autumn Jewel (Gold, Rust, Red, Purple, Yellow, Brown, etc) 13 41.94%
Blue (any shade of including variegated) 9 29.03%
Rainbow Squares 2 6.45%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,131 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Square Swap (For Crochet/Knitting)

There is a "thing" among some yarn folk. It's a Square Swap.

Here's how it works:

Each person makes 12(or whatever the number is) squares of a certain size and colorway.

They mail eleven squares to the other eleven people in their group.

They get eleven squares back.

Then you can put those squares into a blanket for yourself of for a giveaway.

There is no set style to the square other than size and color choices. Usually it's a 6 month? time frame. I think that is right.

So would anyone be interested in doing this?

Some swaps I've seen have been :

Red, White And Blue
Red and Purple
Spring colors
Variegated only
I've got the Blues (various shades of blue)

So? It's a good way to try out different yarns and patterns if you like that sort of thing.

Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #2
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,264 Posts
Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Hey! That sounds really cool!

So do have a blanket size in mind, or a wall-hanging size? And what colorways are you thinking?

Bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Hey! That sounds really cool!

So do have a blanket size in mind, or a wall-hanging size? And what colorways are you thinking?

Cath, what I'm thinking is a blanket since I have no use for something to hang on the wall. I think once we get a good group for this, then we can decide size and color. One I really liked was the one where you chose shades of a color -- like purple or blue--and then did a certain size square and edged it in two rows of black.

What do you think?
Old 11-27-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

Bit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST ReputationBit Has the BEST Reputation

Sounds good to me! I like the edging idea because it will add drama yet also continuity.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:45 PM   #5
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Here's how one group does it. CLICKY

8 squares x 8"s = 64 inches So that's a 4x4 blanket making it 32" across. Not really big enough. LOL

We might have to do a team of at least 10 people doing 2 8" squares for each member. That would be 20 8" squares total per person. That's a lot but if you do Granny Squares, those go super fast.

So I guess it would be up to the group.

I'd sure like to try though.

10 people doing 8 " squares x 2 so each person ends up with 20 8" squares. If you do four across and five rows that's 32" x 40", right? Lord Love A Duck, I don't do math well.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
Bit

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme
Relationship Status:
married to Gryph

That's too many squares, love, and too much joining at the end. Let's make it simple, 12" squares, k? 12 of them would give us lap robes 3 squares by 4 squares--3 feet by 4 feet.

16 squares would give us 4 feet by 4 feet; that would cover a more ample lap.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #7
LadyFlamezzz

How Do You Identify?:
Femme who lives with A DayWalker
Preferred Pronoun?:
who cares just yell for Mrs Day
Relationship Status:
Very attached

LadyFlamezzz Has the BEST ReputationLadyFlamezzz Has the BEST ReputationLadyFlamezzz Has the BEST ReputationLadyFlamezzz Has the BEST ReputationLadyFlamezzz Has the BEST ReputationLadyFlamezzz Has the BEST ReputationLadyFlamezzz Has the BEST ReputationLadyFlamezzz Has the BEST ReputationLadyFlamezzz Has the BEST ReputationLadyFlamezzz Has the BEST ReputationLadyFlamezzz Has the BEST Reputation

i didn't vote cuz i don't like any of the choices,lol

LadyFlamezzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyFlamezzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #8
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

I'm in I love to knit and crochet!! I vote for the lilac/purple but I like all colors so I'm good with anything
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
fishinabaggie

How Do You Identify?:
Femme~
Preferred Pronoun?:
Me. Myself. Hers. Theirs. :)
Relationship Status:
Held Within The Arms of the Law

fishinabaggie Has the BEST Reputationfishinabaggie Has the BEST Reputationfishinabaggie Has the BEST Reputationfishinabaggie Has the BEST Reputationfishinabaggie Has the BEST Reputationfishinabaggie Has the BEST Reputationfishinabaggie Has the BEST Reputationfishinabaggie Has the BEST Reputationfishinabaggie Has the BEST Reputationfishinabaggie Has the BEST Reputationfishinabaggie Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

In In In! I am in if there is room for me this cycle.
I love to knit....and have not found the time/place for it in a very long time.
This'll be fun!
Liz~

~ GRATEFUL SOUL~

fishinabaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fishinabaggie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
MsMerrick

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Feminist Femme....
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single and Singular....

MsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST Reputation

Sure I could contribute a square, knitted ..I have tons of Blues, but I can probably come up with something else, if necessary. I am still not quite sure how this all works, but I'll do that
Linus, you really have to mak e the Circle one of these days.. We can teach you to knit or crochet
Bring K for goodness sake ; )
MsMerrick is offline   Reply With Quote