Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

Thanked 32,009 Times in 9,947 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

I have set aside all of the other books I've been reading from lately and pulled a book out from back in the day when I took this college class: Greek Tragedy Studies.

I'm turning pages in this book:

Euben, J. P. (1990). The Tragedy of Political Theory: The Road Not Taken. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #1522
Mrs Arcstriker
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her, she...female ones...
Relationship Status:
married to Arcstriker

Mrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST ReputationMrs Arcstriker Has the BEST Reputation

The third book in the 50 shades of Grey trilogy...Not too proud about this, but it is mindless and I really love not having to think too much...
Mrs Arcstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Arcstriker For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #1523
Liam

How Do You Identify?:
Guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His

Thanked 6,909 Times in 1,862 Posts
Liam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST ReputationLiam Has the BEST Reputation

One of the books I am currently reading, is a brilliant piece of fiction, titled The Brief History of the Dead, by Kevin Brockmeier.
The Following User Says Thank You to Liam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #1524
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Preserving Food Without Freezing or Canning

By the gardeners and farmers of Terre Vivante
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2012, 06:25 AM   #1525
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I had misplaced my reading glasses....soooo Im STILL reading A Country Year: Living the questions by Sue Hubbell... but...

Once UPS gets here.... I will be reading Nutrition 101....and probably little else
cinnamongrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cinnamongrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #1526
Scottish MacDaddy

How Do You Identify?:
Sapiosexual/Old School Bull Dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
single

Scottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST ReputationScottish MacDaddy Has the BEST Reputation

Top o' the morning all....Let's see what I'm reading...Well I have a crap load of text books...A History of Russia....Astronomy....Literature 102...Foundations of Education...But for enjoyment, I am reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King (turning out to be one of his best ever) and Rachel Maddow's Drift...Both are amazingly good books and so very different that I feel like I'm Bi-Polar when I switch between them...

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
Scottish MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scottish MacDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 AM   #1527
Daktari

Just finished the Hunger Games trilogy. Wish I'd never bothered!

Just started 600 Hours of Edward by Craig Lancaster
and The Tudor Housewife (non fiction) by Alison Sim

Oh and the first in the Inspector Rebus series by Ian Rankin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #1528
ONLY

How Do You Identify?:
well my girl calls me honeybear, sugarbear, sexy beast, hot tamale.....
Preferred Pronoun?:
female pronouns
Relationship Status:
Married to my Rare Beauty with a Beautiful Soul.....SS

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,735 Times in 679 Posts
ONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST Reputation

Wicked appetite by Janet Evanovich

*waiting for SS to get home so we can continue our book together.....Skin Trade by Laurell K. Hamilton......*

ONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ONLY For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #1529
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

"The World of Dowton Abbey"
Julian and Jessica Fellows.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #1530
grenade

How Do You Identify?:
Full Flavor Femme

Thanked 8,062 Times in 2,121 Posts
grenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputationgrenade Has the BEST Reputation

Just read the 50 Shades trilogy. I enjoyed them.
grenade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grenade For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #1531
socialjustice_fsu

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
It’s all good.

Location: The gulf waters are sapphire blue and the beach sand is white as snow.
Thanked 2,158 Times in 439 Posts
socialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputation
Default Mixing it up:

The St. Francis Prayer Book: A Guide to Deepen Your Spiritual Life. Author: Jon M. Sweeney. This has been a guide of helping me look inward and reaching way down inside to find some comfort as I witness death and dying almost every single day at hospice.

Would It Kill You to Stop Doing That: A Modern Guide to Manners. Author: Henry Alford. Alford is a regular on NPR. He has an uncanny way of exploring some of our 'lack' of manners and sprinkles it with superb satire.

The Heartmath Solution. Author: Doc Childre and Howard Martin. This has taken me on a journey of how and why the heart functions as it does. It serves as a testament of how to put fragmented parts back together again following most cardiac events.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #1532
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Viktor Frankl's - Mans Search For Meaning

Is my go to book when struggling with existential angst. Even tho I enjoy it, I have to struggle to get passed the "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade" scenarios it evokes in me.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #1533
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Late night studies...

I've been restless lately with the books I've been reading. I found myself turning from text to text in search of a particular 'manna' (if you will), hoping I would come across ideas to counter-challenge beliefs and values that, seriously, I try to rid myself of - but not because I seek a culture of perfection. It's quite the opposite for me, really.

I wanted to leave this post earlier and because I spent the day communing with nature, naturally I didn't remember. But I think the book I am reading might be of interest to a few of you here. It's very interesting to me and when I am deeply involved with the authors logic, the argument he presents, I find myself wanting to read more or shall I say it this way, I'd like to hear this man present a lecture or seminar or workshop, based upon the materials presented in his book (I miss participating in arguments - classroom discussions). In short: I'm keeping this book.

Here's the title, author and date of publication:

De Botton, Alain. (March, 2012). Religion for Atheists: A Non-believer's Guide to the Uses of Religion. New York: Pantheon Books.

Two Links (WorldCat + New York Times Sunday Review):

http://www.worldcat.org/title/religi...oclc/727610621

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/bo...pagewanted=all
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #1534
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow

Strategic Relocation by Joe Skousen
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #1535
G Snap!

How Do You Identify?:
gay. I'm very happy, thank you!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss
Relationship Status:
Chefhmboyrd's seeing eye blonde

Thanked 1,109 Times in 229 Posts
G Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

The hunger game trilogies. It would be neat if they made a movie about books two & three.

I tried getting into Charles Dicken's "A Tale of Two Cities" but can't get through the beginning enough to stay interested. It doesn't help this is my "night" reading - I have to have something on the kindle incase I am restless.
G Snap! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to G Snap! For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #1536
afixer

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
ma'am
Relationship Status:
adrift in my head

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts
afixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputationafixer Has the BEST Reputation
Default and other stuff...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062B0844/ref=s9_al_bw_g351_ir05?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd _s=center-7&pf_rd_r=1SHMKQ00BHPD310DJ5EZ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p =1375115662&pf_rd_i=1286228011"] The Passage of Power (The Years of Lyndon Johnson) - Robert A. Caro[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/The-Emperor-All-Maladies-ebook/dp/B003UYUP58/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1347466948&sr=1-1&keywords=emperor+of+all+maladies"]The Emperor of All Maladies - Siddhartha Mukherjee[/ame]

afixer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afixer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #1537
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

The time keeper / Mitch Albom.

After being punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift, Father Time returns to Earth along with a magical hourglass and a mission: a chance to redeem himself by teaching two earthly people the true meaning of time.

Was a quick read and as usual with his books, I always feel like I missed something.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #1538
Sassy

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Relationship Status:
Together

Thanked 1,928 Times in 460 Posts
Sassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST Reputation

Just finished the first book in the MacKayla Lane series, Dark Fever. Wasn't impressed with the first half. And the character's Barbie-esque attitude was irritating at first. But by the end of the book she was growing on me. And the story actually started to get (a little) deeper than just "avenge the dead sister"... So, I think I'll read book 2 and hope that the characters get a little more 3-dimensional and that the plot becomes a little less predictable. (It could happen.) ...
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sassy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #1539
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
He’s my One & Only

The other day when I was out and about,
I brought home a bunch of free papers to read.

I brought home a current quarterly edition for Breitenbush Hotsprings (they have a bunch of new workshops on their retreat menu for fall). Also, Willamette Weekly (love reading the editorial and the horoscope section). And.... Oregon Beer Grower, a Sunset magazine, and a Water Utility Report for the northwest region (Ore/Wa area, I believe).

Here's what Free Will Astrology said for my sign (Gemini):
"Dear Doctor of Love: My heart is itchy. I'm totally serious. I'm not talking about some phantom tingle on the skin of my chest. What I mean is that the prickling sensation originates in the throbbing organ inside of me. Is this even possible? Have you heard of such a thing? Could it be some astrological phenomenon? What should I do?"
-- Itchy Hearted Gemini.

"Dear Gemini: I suspect that it's not just you, but many Gemini's, who are experiencing symptoms like yours. From what I can tell, you have a lot of trapped feelings in your heart that need to be identified, liberated and dealt with."
I also brought the Willamette Weekly paper home because I saw an article in it that looks interesting to read on Art Culture. The title of the article is:

A Ballerina
A Best-Seller
and
A Violinist
Take High Culture
Slumming:
ARTBREAKER.

Excerpt from article:
There's only a thin and jagged line separating find and popular art, though, and context is important. The Washington Post demonstrated this in 2007. In Gene Weingarten's Pulitzer Prize-winning feature story "Pearls Before Breakfast," he took world-class violinist Joshua Bell busking at a subway station. Bureaucratic drones buzzed right past Bell -- as he played a $3.5 million Stradivarius. Only one woman recognized she was watching one of the world's best classical musicians (WW, p. 15).

Happy Thursday!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #1540
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

The Tiger's Wife
Téa Obreht

Only 1/3 in, but I'm mesmerized by her writing style. A true artist with words.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading