Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,245 Times in 1,415 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation
Default This is a tough one (regarding child maltreatment)

I haven't the slightest idea where to put this, but I need some advice from those wiser than I.

First, I am a teacher, and by law I must report suspected child abuse or even just hinkey feelings. Failure to do so could mean I lose my license. I have found out that this means 24/7, not just the dirty/bruised child in school that would be an easy case.

I live in an apartment complex and there is a family below me. The father is the maintenance supervisor for the complex. His daughter, age 12, is my daughter's best friend. Father had a live-in girlfriend who recently moved out amongst much drama and apparently a huge fight. That woman had a daughter, age 9, also friends with my daughter. So far, so good?

The gf also had a five-ish year old daughter and a 15 year old. The father, "Duane", has a 20 year old who has one baby of a little over a year, and she's pregnant again by a different man. GF is over a lot, and I suspect it isn't as over as it seems. All of these people live in the apartment off and on, and Duane's other daughter will be coming back shortly, so there's anywhere from 9 to 11 people living there. It's hard for me to follow, too.

I don't know if there's any physical abuse going on, except for the fact that all of the adults are smokers, so heavy that the smoke comes up through my window. They have also tried to get me to take the five-year old to the pool when I take my kids, but I refuse. I do know there is a lot of shouting and fighting, and that I hear the baby crying every night. It just sounds like a poor situation all around.

My question: Is this sufficient to call CPS, as I am required to do? I can do this anonymously, although I bet they'd figure it out. Or, do I approach Duane with my concerns and the position I'm in? He and I get along reasonably well. Or, talk to the leasing office (on property)? Or, nothing? WWYD?