Notices

Old 02-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #21
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

Thanked 6,524 Times in 1,697 Posts
Canela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST Reputation

When I turned 40 my Dr said I needed bifocals....I said, "oh the cute little cat eyes looking things, cool!!!"...he said, "no the big ugly ones..."

I got contacts. Colored ones to make me feel better that I had such bad eyes...at 45 I decided it was time to get a pair of bifocals, since I went thru the contacts pretty quick and I was tired of the whole thing...that was last year...

I use them more and more since they are so convenient. I am still trying to get used to having bifocals..I mean I'm not really vain like that but that doc gave me a bit of a complex...(I do love that I can see sooo much better)...

My bifocals are everywhere...my puppy tried to chew on 'em and they have a sharp little tip somewhere where the bottom sits on the top of my cheek...ouch...

That's what I get, I guess...lol...
Canela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #22
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew, Jr. View Post
And you can also use your old sunglasses too. Frames are frames. It is the lenses that count. My old Ray Ban's Wave Farer's were so scratched up. I wasn't using them at all. Now, I am full time.
Reading was a nightmare. Everything was so off. What I thought I was reading I wasn't. Like a 7 was a 2. Go figure.

Andrew
Yep, I had my readers, but now, I can really see!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:24 PM   #23
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleShug View Post

When I turned 40 my Dr said I needed bifocals....I said, "oh the cute little cat eyes looking things, cool!!!"...he said, "no the big ugly ones..."

I got contacts. Colored ones to make me feel better that I had such bad eyes...at 45 I decided it was time to get a pair of bifocals, since I went thru the contacts pretty quick and I was tired of the whole thing...that was last year...

I use them more and more since they are so convenient. I am still trying to get used to having bifocals..I mean I'm not really vain like that but that doc gave me a bit of a complex...(I do love that I can see sooo much better)...

My bifocals are everywhere...my puppy tried to chew on 'em and they have a sharp little tip somewhere where the bottom sits on the top of my cheek...ouch...

That's what I get, I guess...lol...
Funny how vanity starts to go out the window after 40. Comfort and convenience mean so much more to me now.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #24
Nina
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
unmistakably
Preferred Pronoun?:
dearheart
Relationship Status:
In love, loved and Happy, thanks for askin'

Thanked 3,383 Times in 931 Posts
Nina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST ReputationNina Has the BEST Reputation

I got progressive lenses a few years ago and they changed my life!!...I can remember when I got my first pair of glasses at age 7 (a l-o-n-g time ago)...I looked out the window of the eye doctor's office and was *stunned* to realize, and read, the words on the street signs...that was a life changing day, as was when I put on my glasses with the progressive lenses and the guy handed me the card to read from...and I could, and I did...

before I got them I was taking my glasses on and off 100 times a day...I expected to have all the adjustment problems people speak of, and of which I'd heard, I had not a one...that was a nice surprise...

I am all for these new fangled glasses...good luck with yours, I'm confident that if there is an adjustment period it will be worth the hassle since it's a really pleasant way to move through the world--being able to see clearly !!

cheers

n
Nina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #25
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
I too have been having issues and have had readers for years. I got my eyes checked in Dec and got new glasses but I still have to wear my readers to drive--the Dr explained it to me because it didn't make sense but essentially it is because my eyes get so tired.

Because I am a techie and on computers all day and night I got the new computer lens which is similiar to progressives but different. The glases are set to make the distance to my computer the primary distance in the glass and then it progresses from there. I love them and had no issue getting acclimated to them. I definitely cannot drive in them though.

What shocked me was how expensive new glasses are--HOLY CRAP!! Mine were almost $700 and that is with a basic none designer frame. I love the fact that I can see so much better. I didn't realize how bad I was struggling until I got this pair. I'm saving for a second pair cause I now know how blind I've become. Sadly I used to have eagle eyes...not so much anymore!

That's why I'm doing the combination of contacts and various strengths of "cheaters" - the drug store readers and contacts. My prescription is complicated and it would cost me AT LEAST $800 for a new pair of glasses with progressives (can't stand the lines). So I'm switching them up several times a day according to what I'm doing. It's a pain in the

Imagine! A with bifocals!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #26
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

The girl started calling me "bobble head". It hasn't stopped.

I don't wear them enough to really get used to them. It was easier getting used to asking the wait person/ server to "please hold the menu over there for a minute" and tip heavily

I have yet to reconcile my messed up sense of vanity to realize that the glasses look FAR more attractive than my weaving and bobbing a piece of paper around or the squinty eyed look when trying to read a sign.. One day I'll learn!
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #27
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

I had bifocals, had to upgrade to trifocals. They were fairly easy for me to adjust to. 40 hit and my arms didn't grow any further so glasses it is. I still forget to take them when going out, but I'm getting better with Ami reminding me.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2010, 06:52 PM   #28
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
The girl started calling me "bobble head". It hasn't stopped.

I don't wear them enough to really get used to them. It was easier getting used to asking the wait person/ server to "please hold the menu over there for a minute" and tip heavily

I have yet to reconcile my messed up sense of vanity to realize that the glasses look FAR more attractive than my weaving and bobbing a piece of paper around or the squinty eyed look when trying to read a sign.. One day I'll learn!

This cracked me up! I've thought about doing this different times, but didn't know if it was in the server's job description or not. lol

I'm wondering how old everyone was when they first got glasses and then when they first got bi-focals. I got my first pair of glasses at age 3 and my bifocals for the first time in my mid-thirties.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #29
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkey View Post
I had bifocals, had to upgrade to trifocals. They were fairly easy for me to adjust to. 40 hit and my arms didn't grow any further so glasses it is. I still forget to take them when going out, but I'm getting better with Ami reminding me.

me: bring your glasses
he: do I need them
me: yes
he: I dont need them

us at store

he: honey what does this say
me: why didn't you bring them
he: i didn't think I would need them
me: what would you have done if you were going by yourself?
he: well I don't have anywhere to put them
me: on your face?
he: can I put them in your purse?
me: what do I look like

repeat at least 3 times a month!

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2010, 07:07 PM   #30
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiyesiam View Post
me: bring your glasses
he: do I need them
me: yes
he: I dont need them

us at store

he: honey what does this say
me: why didn't you bring them
he: i didn't think I would need them
me: what would you have done if you were going by yourself?
he: well I don't have anywhere to put them
me: on your face?
he: can I put them in your purse?
me: what do I look like

repeat at least 3 times a month!
Me : but honey I don't ned them to see, just to read
her: bring them anyway
Me: is there room in your purse?
her: only if you buy me a bigger purse
Me: we are going to wally world aren't we?
her: I'd better find something there, I can't stand that place
Me:
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #31
key

How Do You Identify?:
androgynous, gender-queer, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
depends on person addressing me
Relationship Status:
merrily single hopefully married one day

key Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputationkey Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default so maybe this is not what this thread is for

but I have always had huge crushes for girls with glasses. It's just a thing.

At 45, I got a Costco 4 pack of readers as a gift and am so grateful!

Who knows, maybe someone will have a crush on me now....
key is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to key For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2010, 07:24 PM   #32
Gentle Tiger

How Do You Identify?:
As a Tiger of course
Preferred Pronoun?:
Not the Old Man
Relationship Status:
Two Tigers

Thanked 15,995 Times in 3,996 Posts
Gentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST Reputation

Yep, I'm in the number. Got my first pair last year. My vanity would not permit me to get the visible line. But what's hilarious is when I am trying to read something without them on. Why pray tell do I look down try and read like I do when I have my glasses on?! I catch myself and laugh. My eyeballs do not have and invisible line in them! *laughing*
Gentle Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gentle Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #33
WhiteTigress

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, somewhat high maintenance
Preferred Pronoun?:
She. There should be no doubt!

WhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST ReputationWhiteTigress Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMBERWOLF View Post
Yes Ma'am.......We both have bifocals but mine have lines and WT's don't. She wears her contact most when she is out and her glasses at work.Though she doesn't need them to read like I do.I have had them for about 10 years so yeah right around that age.
TIMBER
I have progressive lenses, which are essentially bifocals, but actually, they are multi-focals. The top part of the lens is for distance, like roadway signs for driving. The central part of the lens is for mid-range things, like a few feet away or my computer monitor. The bottom part of the lens is for my simple reading and paperwork. That bottom part is not essential for me to function, because I often take off my glasses to read and do paperwork anyway. In the beginning, that often lead me to leaving them on my desk, and having to go back to the office to drive home.

As for my contacts, they have me in two different monovision contact lenses. The left eye is focused for my mid-range/computer monitor use. The right eye is focused for distance and driving. Guess what that means...

When I'm wearing my contact lenses, it's almost unbearable for me to read anything up close, such as a menu. Sometimes I just ask Timber to read stuff for me in those circumstances.

WT
WhiteTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTigress For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 11:22 AM   #34
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

I am really enjoying the glasses! It makes reading then seeing my computer more easily.

I actually found some typos I could nto see before....blush.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #35
dreadgeek
Power Femme

How Do You Identify?:
Cinnamon spiced, caramel colored, power-femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful horse girl

Thanked 6,848 Times in 1,493 Posts
dreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputationdreadgeek Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I got my first set of bifocals at 41, two years ago. Fortunately, I have good health coverage so I was able to get lineless bifocals. I'm just not ready to have that little line on my glasses!

Cheers
Aj

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I just picked up my first pair of bi-focals.

Wow.

I've been using readers for a while, but they were just not getting it any more.

It's weird not being able to to see, I know it sounds silly...but I have always had excellent eyesight and it is freaking me out for my eyesight to be worse every day.

I've had all the tests, nothing is wrong other than age....

Though I have been in denial, I guess this makes me officially middle aged? Ha, at 46, I have been there for a while I guess.

Wow.

Anyone else?

"People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so, the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn’t that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people. As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn’t measure up." (Terry Pratchett)
dreadgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #36
Kimbo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Eligible Butchelor

Kimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I am really enjoying the glasses! It makes reading then seeing my computer more easily.

I actually found some typos I could nto see before....blush.
I am really digging seeing too! It wasn't until I got them that I realized how bad my eyes were. I'm not big fan of glasses but I love being able to see itty bitty things!
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #37
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

i've graduated to a monocle being the crochtety old one-eyed-jacked bastid that i am..heh
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #38
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadgeek View Post
I got my first set of bifocals at 41, two years ago. Fortunately, I have good health coverage so I was able to get lineless bifocals. I'm just not ready to have that little line on my glasses!

Cheers
Aj
My insurance does not cover optical. So I do have the line. Its OK though, I am getting used to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbo View Post
I am really digging seeing too! It wasn't until I got them that I realized how bad my eyes were. I'm not big fan of glasses but I love being able to see itty bitty things!
meee too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
i've graduated to a monocle being the crochtety old one-eyed-jacked bastid that i am..heh

Monocles are so cool!
Old 03-31-2010, 08:52 PM   #39
Kimbo

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Eligible Butchelor

Kimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST ReputationKimbo Has the BEST Reputation

I'm looking around for a second pair. Now that I can see I can't imagine not having a back up pair.
Kimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kimbo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2010, 09:13 PM   #40
Boots13

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No

Thanked 2,315 Times in 428 Posts
Boots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

yep, it was hit and miss
until I finally gave in.

Look at me now !

Boots13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boots13 For This Useful Post: