Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > In The News

Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #21
Ryobi

How Do You Identify?:
TG Stone Butch. Over all, I identify by living my life.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/His

Thanked 1,238 Times in 357 Posts
Ryobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST Reputation

When I read about this yesterday, I about puked. The laughable part is the claim it has nothing to do with politics.

1.) Hire a Republican Pro-Lifer as one of your top dogs in the SGK.

2.) Allow new top dog (cant remember her name) to write new rules for SGK funding. One of the new rules, can't fund any organization under federal, state, or local investigation. Rep. congressman launches state investigation against PP, funding is cut.

Out of hundreds of organizations that get funding from SGK, Planned Parenthood is the ONLY one cut off the list. I'm pretty sure Penn State is under investigation, yet they were funded 7.5 million bucks from SGK.

NOPE! Doesn't sound like politics at all. Where's my barf bucket?

"To choose a word is to choose a world" Anonymous
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Ryobi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #22
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

http://news.yahoo.com/cancer-charity...212059884.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
SmoothButch

How Do You Identify?:
human
Preferred Pronoun?:
X
Relationship Status:
Happily enjoying my life

Thanked 1,297 Times in 400 Posts
SmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST ReputationSmoothButch Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Thumbs up

I just donated to show my support for Planned Parenthood.

My donation today was matched thanks to New York's Mayor, Michael Bloomberg. The Bloomberg Foundation is matching gifts up to $250k.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:01 PM   #24
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

On MSNBC- Hardball, PP chairwoman said people have donated over 1 million today. Way to go people!
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #25
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

I don't curse a lot but I feel the need. Screw that crazy ass woman who influenced this organization to stop supporting Planned Parent Hood.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #26
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

I have never been a big fan of Komen....ever. They rank up there with AmFAR in my book.

UofMan..........thanks for the link to Komen Watch. Everyone should read and understand what Komen actually does with all that money and all those cute pink ribbons and pink sports uniforms.....NCAA Women's Basketball is going to get an earful from me.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #27
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

The head of Komen has been doing the talking head circuit today. Seems that they finally drummed up some lame-ass excuse and are trying to sell it. Andrea Mitchell (MSNBC), who has supported Komen in the past and was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, wasn't buying it. She looked kinda pissed during the interview.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #28
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsDemeanor View Post
The head of Komen has been doing the talking head circuit today. Seems that they finally drummed up some lame-ass excuse and are trying to sell it. Andrea Mitchell (MSNBC), who has supported Komen in the past and was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, wasn't buying it. She looked kinda pissed during the interview.
Yes, here it is.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #29
Ryobi

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/His

Ryobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST Reputation

After much backlash, people quitting, and Planned Parenthood receiving record donations, SGK has reversed the decision to not fund PP.

NICE job people!!!!! (like Corkey said!)

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ryobi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #30
Scuba

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Flying Solo

Thanked 8,048 Times in 1,618 Posts
Scuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST Reputation

Looks like someone's had a change of heart **shakes head** SGK has decided to restore funding under pressure from the general public AND politicians.

Kudos to the president of Planned Parenthood for holding her ground with dignity and professionalism. In all of this, PPH was able to recoup that lost funding in a matter of days. Never insult the intelligence of the masses...

I'd say this backfired on SGK and I have no doubt THEY will be losing funding from folks who just won't tolerate right-winged, christian-based rhetoric anymore especially when it comes to someone's life.

I could go on and on....

~~Bob Richardson~~
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scuba For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #31
OS Butch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch-BLW
Preferred Pronoun?:
Default-She
Relationship Status:
Closed

Thanked 1,378 Times in 461 Posts
OS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST ReputationOS Butch Has the BEST Reputation

Just heard about the reversal....I am finding it hard to continued support to SGK..... When will decide to quit funding again!
OS Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OS Butch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #32
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS Butch View Post
Just heard about the reversal....I am finding it hard to continued support to SGK..... When will decide to quit funding again!
I've never been impressed by people, companies or organizations that only do the right thing under pressure...or when they've gotten backlash for behaving badly.

I'll keep sending my donations to Planned Parenthood instead.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #33
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

I agree with JustJo; I am not impressed that they decided to do the right thing b/c of pressure to do so.

In the past, I have supported the Joy to Life Foundation and I will continue to do just as I have always done And, yes, I even have the pink car tag.

http://joytolife.org/

Last edited by LaneyDoll; 02-03-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: clarity
LaneyDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LaneyDoll For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #34
Ryobi

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/His

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS Butch View Post
Ya know, I feel this same way. But, SGK funds a lot of good things. I'm angry though that they allowed themselves to be "tainted" by bringing political bullshit into what they do. From now on, I'll be doing direct donations to organizations that I believe in. I was donating to SGK because I trusted that they would be descent in allocating peoples donations.

Also, it pisses me off that it's woman (in this instance) that seem to be leading the attack against PP and womens health. I say, bad form.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ryobi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #35
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation
Default Seriously?

This is exactly what Komen wanted to accomplish, to appease the masses with a red herring.

Beware people!

We need to read and be informed, not just take the dog treat given and wag our tails.

Friday, February 03, 2012
Komen caves, kinda, but still refusing to approve Planned Parenthood’s funding next year America Blog

Komen caves, kinda, but still refusing to approve Planned Parenthood’s funding next year

By John Aravosis on 2/03/2012 12:02:00 PM

The Susan G. Komen foundation caved today. Kinda. They issued a statement apologizing for the mess they created this week when they cut funding for Planned Parenthood breast exams for poor women, seemingly under pressure from far right politicos and anti-choice groups. But Komen's apology is slightly lacking. And according to their own CEO last night, they still can't approve future grants from Planned Parenthood. Unless she was lying.

In the apology Komen says that they'll continue Planned Parenthood's current funding, and they're changing their "no investigations" rule to say that it must be a criminal investigation, and conclusive. Okay, but the current funding wasn't at issue. Komen had always said they'd continue the current funding, so that's a red herring. The issue is next year's funding, which Komen just turned down. And on that account, Komen now says this:

We will continue to fund existing grants, including those of Planned Parenthood, and preserve their eligibility to apply for future grants, while maintaining the ability of our affiliates to make funding decisions that meet the needs of their communities.

Preserve their ability to apply? What, Komen won't go to Planned Parenthood and steal all the pens so PPFA can't apply again in the future? They could always try to apply again. That's not the point.

If Komen is serious, they can simply approve the application Planned Parenthood has already submitted. Yes, they turned it down once, supposedly because of the now-old rule about investigations. Fine. If the rule is gone, then approve the grant.

Of course, it's even more complicated because of a video statement Komen CEO, Republican donor, and former Bush appointee, Nancy Brinker issued last night claiming that the right-wing congressional investigation had nothing to do with the decision to turn down Planned Parenthood's grant. Rather, Brinker now says Komen turned PPFA down because Komen no longer funds pass-through grants. So if that's the case, then changing Komen's investigations-rule won't change a thing. They'll still turn down Planned Parenthood again next time because of the supposed pass-through grant. Unless of course, Nancy Brinker was lying last night. So which is it?

The only way that Komen can get out of this mess is by approving Planned Parenthood's grant now. Komen has the application, they killed it for political reasons, and they got caught. And then to add insult to injury, Brinker concocted a new story last night.

If Komen really wants to do penance, they'll approve PPFA's grant now.

UPDATE: This statement from a right-wing Catholic group pretty much sums things up correctly:

“This represents nothing new. We have known and have reported that they are continuing five grants through 2012. This is a reference to that. The second clause about eligibility is certainly true. Any group can apply for anything. It does not mean they are going to get anything,” Ruse told LifeNews.

“What this is is an effort to get the mafia off of their backs. As James Taranto said in the Wall Street Journal yesterday, this is a classic shakedown operation. Give us money or we will destroy you. This is Komen’s attempt to save their organization, which we should know is in peril. Our side should know that nothing has changed.”

Bottom line: Komen cut funding for Planned Parenthood, it is facing massive revolt from its chapters and temendous opposition from Planned Parenthood and the media, and it appears to be leaving the door open for potential grants — not that they will necessarily happen beyond the ones previously approved prior to the decision — to please both sides.
Now that Planned Parenthood has issued a statement embracing Komen, and apparently accepting the "apology," the battle is over. I'm just not entirely sure that Planned Parenthood won. Komen should approve next year's grant now.

As for the Race for the Cure, we now know what Komen really is. And I don't know about you, but I don't give money to organizations that do David Vitter's bidding.
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #36
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

A friend of a friend on Facebook posted this as a comment to the SGK blog about their reversal of their decision to de-fund PP.
I thought it was spot on and it made me chuckle, so I thought I'd share it.

KOMEN PRESS RELEASE TRANSLATION:

Paragraph 1: We're sorry you got mad.

Paragraph 2: We're sad you think we did anything wrong. We didn't.

Paragraph 3: We were justified in what we did but will slightly alter our rules to stop your whining.

Paragraph 4: We'll fund the existing grants to PP until they expire. PP is welcome to apply for future grants but our
local affiliates have discretion to reject PP applications if birth control makes the local communities feel icky.

Paragraph 5: Shut up. If you keep talking about this then you're the one hurting women.

Paragraph 6: We're going to get our story straight and punish any local affiliate that strays from the official truth.

Paragraph 7: Thanks to the anti-stem cell research, anti-birth control people who like our decision.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #37
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,150 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Many of us in the women's motorcycling community have been raising funds for breast cancer research through the Pony Express Tour, as well as other initiatives of the Women's Motorcyclist Foundation. Those funds have always gone to Komen. I'm the artist that made the multi-part commemorative medallion that was an integral part of the fundraising tour every year. I'm planning to agitate for the WMF to find a better recipient for our future largesse.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #38
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

This is a great group to follow, they've even got a list for alternative organisations to donate to:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/De-fu...71880872914883
Old 02-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #39
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Actually Komen did not change anything about PP funding. They did not defund grants that PP currently holds. They however have NOT restored any of the funding they denied PP. They also changed the new rules to say 'criminal investigation' which means Penn State should not get any Komen money. They also, decided on a Board level, will no longer fund stem cell research.

Read between the lines folks. Quit looking at the Komen hand in front of your face and look at the one behind Komen's back.

Not One Single Thing Has Changed.

Komen is a waste of time and money and resources. I want them to lose every single penny of support given to them. I hope there are loud and not pink protests at all the Run for the Cure events from now on.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #40
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,850 Times in 511 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylNYC View Post
Many of us in the women's motorcycling community have been raising funds for breast cancer research through the Pony Express Tour, as well as other initiatives of the Women's Motorcyclist Foundation. Those funds have always gone to Komen. I'm the artist that made the multi-part commemorative medallion that was an integral part of the fundraising tour every year. I'm planning to agitate for the WMF to find a better recipient for our future largesse.
Your response is what i am hoping to see on a wide scale. SGK has defined themselves as anti-choice, and the faux apology does not change that. As long as they keep their anti-choice VP and board members, they will continue to be an anti-choice organization.