Old 04-21-2011, 04:51 PM   #1261
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
Thank you for posting it. I am shaking my head. IMO, Congressman Stearns is an idiot and so are all the cowards in Congress who passed it with a voice vote. Hence, no record of how they voted.
I fully agree. It's a giant slap in the face to those who helped and especially those who are suffering due to illnesses related to the clean up.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #1262
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toughy View Post
While I understand and agree with the protest over the process and lack of involvement of the faculty and students in this decision, I don't understand why it's a huge problem to move the Center to the College of Arts and Sciences. It seems to be a logical place for administrative purposes.

I am surprised other minority groups, particularly Native Americans, have not wanted their own stand alone Center.

Anyone care to help me understand why this is a bad idea?
One aspect that I find complex is the question of whether schools "should" be run as if they are corporations. CEOs get to make decisions that effect their employees without consulting their employees, but is that what we can expect from education? CEOs get to use a budget as a justification for any change, but can we hold the academy to a higher standard? And this brings up the uncomfortable issues of whether a unit of the university that is critical of US capitalism (chattel slavery was a great way to keep labor costs down).... Would there be a reason for parties interested in consolidating their historical power to disempower a unit of the university that challenges white power?

It just all seems very suspicious. And that's just one aspect.
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #1263
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation
Default Connection between Cornel and Arizonas 2281 ?

Save Ethnic Studies (from http://otterrealm.net/politics/ethnic_studies.php)

Ethnic Studies Programs Under Fire in Arizona

Teachers talking about César Chavez's legacy, introducing Magic Realism literature in the classroom or encouraging critical thinking among their Mexican-American students are not welcome in the Tucson public school system.

On Mar. 30, speaker Sally Rusk, representing the organization Save Ethnic Studies (SES), advocated for the continuity of the Ethnics Studies program in the Tucson Unified School District (TUSD). Cal State Monterey Bay (CSUMB) students, faculty and administrators gathered to understand and discuss why TUSD has chosen to eliminate the program and what may be done to cease its banning because, according to Sally Rusk, "we cannot allow a law that inhibits multi-cultural education."

Arizona Pueblo High School teacher Sally Rusk explained the history of both the ethnic studies program called Raza studies and the Arizona House Bill 2281 that attempts to ban the teaching of ethnic studies in the public school system. Though HB 2281 appears to be legislation for the entire state's school districts, the bill, according the Husk, "focuses primarily on the Tucson Unified School District."

Lawmakers are accusing faculty and administrators participating in the Ethnic Studies program of being anti-American and of promoting the division of races with courses specifically built around a particular ethnic group.

Rusk and SES disagree with the allegations arguing the elimination of ethnic studies courses would not only harm the Latino community, but also hinder academic freedom, school curriculum choice, development of authentic education, and student achievement.

The session at CSUMB began with introductory speakers including Liberal Studies lecturer Dr. Linda Bynoe, HCOM professor Dr. Maria Villaseńor, and CSUMB HCOM graduate Karina Hernandez. Hernandez said of the importance of ethnic studies, "it finally validated my life stories... it gave me confidence that before I didn't have as a student."

Rusk presented a clip of the documentary Precious Knowledge that depicts the fight of Tucson students and teachers to defend the right to learn and appreciate their own cultural roots. Professor Rusk showed how ethic studies program encourages students' confidence and solidarity as a community. Connections to any human being is core of their Ethnic Studies "You are my other self; an injury to one is an injury to all."

Contributing Authors: Fanny Shives, Martha Kirby, Nicole Marquez, Sam Pereira, Martin Wilson, Martin Hardenberger, Melissa Cooperman, Gabby Castaneda, Aya Kamata
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #1264
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykeumentary View Post
Save Ethnic Studies (from http://otterrealm.net/politics/ethnic_studies.php)

Ethnic Studies Programs Under Fire in Arizona

Teachers talking about César Chavez's legacy, introducing Magic Realism literature in the classroom or encouraging critical thinking among their Mexican-American students are not welcome in the Tucson public school system.

On Mar. 30, speaker Sally Rusk, representing the organization Save Ethnic Studies (SES), advocated for the continuity of the Ethnics Studies program in the Tucson Unified School District (TUSD). Cal State Monterey Bay (CSUMB) students, faculty and administrators gathered to understand and discuss why TUSD has chosen to eliminate the program and what may be done to cease its banning because, according to Sally Rusk, "we cannot allow a law that inhibits multi-cultural education."

Arizona Pueblo High School teacher Sally Rusk explained the history of both the ethnic studies program called Raza studies and the Arizona House Bill 2281 that attempts to ban the teaching of ethnic studies in the public school system. Though HB 2281 appears to be legislation for the entire state's school districts, the bill, according the Husk, "focuses primarily on the Tucson Unified School District."

Lawmakers are accusing faculty and administrators participating in the Ethnic Studies program of being anti-American and of promoting the division of races with courses specifically built around a particular ethnic group.

Rusk and SES disagree with the allegations arguing the elimination of ethnic studies courses would not only harm the Latino community, but also hinder academic freedom, school curriculum choice, development of authentic education, and student achievement.

The session at CSUMB began with introductory speakers including Liberal Studies lecturer Dr. Linda Bynoe, HCOM professor Dr. Maria Villaseńor, and CSUMB HCOM graduate Karina Hernandez. Hernandez said of the importance of ethnic studies, "it finally validated my life stories... it gave me confidence that before I didn't have as a student."

Rusk presented a clip of the documentary Precious Knowledge that depicts the fight of Tucson students and teachers to defend the right to learn and appreciate their own cultural roots. Professor Rusk showed how ethic studies program encourages students' confidence and solidarity as a community. Connections to any human being is core of their Ethnic Studies "You are my other self; an injury to one is an injury to all."

Contributing Authors: Fanny Shives, Martha Kirby, Nicole Marquez, Sam Pereira, Martin Wilson, Martin Hardenberger, Melissa Cooperman, Gabby Castaneda, Aya Kamata
This (proposed bills like this) just sickens me. And AZ is not the only state trying to pass this kind of garbage.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #1265
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

I agree.

One of the reasons I posted that about AZ is to show it's relation to the Cornell thing. Xenophobia/racism gets spun in different ways -- in AZ it is more obvious and based in some sentimental notion of patriotism, and in areas where there is a wider range of ethnic backgrounds that might unite against such crappy policies, "economic austerity" is being used. Chilling.
The Following User Says Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #1266
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykeumentary View Post
One aspect that I find complex is the question of whether schools "should" be run as if they are corporations. CEOs get to make decisions that effect their employees without consulting their employees, but is that what we can expect from education? CEOs get to use a budget as a justification for any change, but can we hold the academy to a higher standard? And this brings up the uncomfortable issues of whether a unit of the university that is critical of US capitalism (chattel slavery was a great way to keep labor costs down).... Would there be a reason for parties interested in consolidating their historical power to disempower a unit of the university that challenges white power?

It just all seems very suspicious. And that's just one aspect.
As I said, I agree there should have been serious discussion with those affected directly by the decision. It would have gone a long way towards having trust in the decision.

I also must point out that trying to balance a budget that is shrinking......happening in all levels of public and private education........is not (in my mind) running a school like a cold-hearted corporation. It's trying to keep the school running.

If the Provost was really interested in dis-empowering this particular group, he would have simply de-funded the Center. That would be running it like a business.

I also highly doubt this is the only group at Cornell that is critical of US capitalism and white privilege. Has the Provost moved on those other groups?

Just for the hell of it I went to the Cornell website and poked around. I just don't see this as a move to shut of black folks. Cornell is focused on education for everyone and it's strategic plan maintains the schools focus on multi-culturalism.

I just think this was a truly fucked up process on the part of the Provost. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

The true holocaust in this country is what was and still is being done to our indigenious, first nation, native peoples.
Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 AM   #1267
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation
Default Last Gay Holocaust Survivor Knighted in France

Sorry, cannot find an English article but thought I'd post this anyways:

Quote:
(AFP) - Le Mulhousien Rudolf Brazda, 97 ans, probable dernier survivant des ŤTriangles rosesť - ces victimes du nazisme qui furent déportées ŕ cause de leur homosexualité - vient d'ętre nommé chevalier de la Légion d'honneur, a-t-on appris dimanche auprčs de l'association ŤLes oubliés de la Mémoireť.

M. Brazda, qui a survécu ŕ 32 mois d'enfer ŕ Buchenwald entre 1942 et 1945, fait partie de la promotion de Pâques de la Légion d'honneur. Il a été nommé sur le contingent du Premier ministre, a précisé ŕ l'AFP Philippe Couillet, président de cette association qui milite pour la reconnaissance des souffrances des Ťtriangles rosesť.

Cette distinction Ťmarque un pas supplémentaire dans la reconnaissance par la nation de la déportation homosexuelleť, a estimé M. Couillet.

M. Brazda n'a commencé ŕ témoigner sur son expérience de déporté qu'en 2008, ŕ l'occasion de l'inauguration d'un monument en mémoire des ŤTriangles rosesť au coeur de Berlin. Il s'était fait connaître aprčs avoir lu dans la presse que, selon les porteurs du projet, ce drame ne comptait plus de survivant.

Depuis, le nonagénaire, qui a grandi en Tchécoslovaquie et en Allemagne et vit prčs de Mulhouse depuis 1945, aime ŕ Ťs'exprimer publiquement sur son vécu, dans les média, mais aussi auprčs du grand public et des jeunes générations en particulierť, selon M. Couillet.

Il recevra sa Légion d'honneur jeudi dans un collčge de Puteaux (Hauts-de-Seine), ŕ l'occasion d'une intervention devant les élčves. Sa distinction lui sera remise par Marie-José Chombart de Lauwe, ancienne résistante et déportée ŕ Ravensbrück, aujourd'hui présidente de la Fondation pour la mémoire de la déportation.
http://www.lalsace.fr/actualite/2011...riangles-roses
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #1268
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Birth Certificate

Obama finally released his birth certificate. Of course this will reassure some, convince a few, and add a new layer of distraction for those who will now bring up 'it wasnt released earlier because of some yet to be found deceit'.

Trump taking credit for bringing this to a head was kind of amusing in a sad sort of way. Then again, Trump would take credit for the sun rising if he could figure out a way to make it look belielievable.

Releasing this now, so late in the controversy, and at what looks like Trump's prodding, makes Obama look bad in a lot of ways. The timing of this, in my opinion, was a huge political error.

Now can we focus on the bigger, more important issues? And, send Mr. Trump, not the taxpayers, the bill for this enlightenment.

WASHINGTON – Responding to critics' relentless claims, President Barack Obama on Wednesday produced a detailed Hawaii birth certificate in an extraordinary attempt to bury the issue of where he was born and confirm his legitimacy to hold office. He declared, "We do not have time for this kind of silliness."

By going on national TV from the White House, Obama portrayed himself as a voice of reason amid a loud, lingering debate on his birth status. Though his personal attention to the issue elevated it as never before, Obama said to Republican detractors and the media, it is time to move on to bigger issues.

Citing huge budget decisions in Washington, Obama said, "I am confident that the American people and America's political leaders can come together in a bipartisan way and solve these problems. We always have. But we're not going to be able to do it if we are distracted."

Obama spoke shortly after the White House released a copy of the long form of his birth certificate, which contains more extensive data than a version released earlier.

The certificate says Obama was born to an American mother and Kenyan father, in Hawaii, which makes him eligible to hold the office of president. Obama released a standard short form before he was elected in 2008 but requested copies of his original birth certificate from Hawaii officials this week in hopes of quieting the lingering controversy.

[ For complete coverage of politics and policy, go to Yahoo! Politics ]

White House officials have said the issue was settled long ago. But so-called "birthers" opposed to Obama have kept it alive. Potential Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump recently began questioning why Obama hadn't ensured the long form was released.

From New Hampshire, Trump took credit for getting Obama to act.

"He should have done it a long time ago. I am really honored to play such a big role in hopefully, hopefully getting rid of this issue," Trump said.

Polls show large numbers of Republicans have continued to doubt Obama is a natural born citizen eligible to be president. Trump, the bombastic real estate mogul, has seized on the issue as he weighs a GOP candidacy.

While Obama and White House officials avoided mentioning Trump by name, officials said they released the birth certificate partially because the issue had moved beyond fringe discussion, and Obama criticized a media culture that had not let the story go.

"This issue has been going on for two, two and a half years now. I think it started during the campaign," Obama said. "I have watched with bemusement, I've been puzzled at the degree at which this thing just kept on going."

"We're not going to be able to solve our problems if we get distracted by sideshows and carnival barkers," the president said.

He did not take any questions and did not say why the document had not been released earlier.

Many Republican leaders have sought to distance themselves from the "birther" theory as a discredited notion not worthy of national public debate.

In a statement after Obama spoke, Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus called the issue a distraction — and yet blamed Obama for playing campaign politics by addressing it.

"The president ought to spend his time getting serious about repairing our economy," Priebus said. "Unfortunately his campaign politics and talk about birth certificates is distracting him from our number one priority — our economy."

The newly released certificate is signed by the delivery doctor, Obama's mother and the local registrar. His mother, then 18, signed her name (Stanley) Ann Dunham Obama.

The form says Barack Hussein Obama II was born at 7:24 p.m. on Aug. 4, 1961, at Kapiolani Maternity and Gynecological Hospital, within the city limits of Honolulu.

There's no mention of religion. It says his father, Barack Hussein Obama, age 25, was African and born in Kenya and his mother was Caucasian and born in Wichita, Kan. Obama's mother and the doctor signed the certificate on Aug. 7 and 8.

Hawaii's registrar certified the new photocopy of the document provided to the White House on April 25, 2011.

The White House also released a letter from the president on April 22 requesting two certified copies of his original certificate of live birth. Also released was a letter from Loretta Fuddy, Hawaii's director of health, approving the request.

The president's personal counsel, Judith Corley, traveled to Hawaii to pick up the documents and carried them back to Washington on a plane. The documents arrived at the White House around 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #1269
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

just to be clear...........Obama released a short form birth certificate either during the campaign or just after he was sworn in. The short form is what most of us have. It's got your parents name, your name, place, date and time you were born. I think this is the only type of birth certificate availible if you are born today.

What is released today is the long form birth certificate which has more info like the doctor's signature etc. They stopped sending those out when they started using only short forms. It took a special request.

Frankly I don't think he should have done it..............he should have told them to go fuck off somewhere.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #1270
Curley

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, hey you lol

Curley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST ReputationCurley Has the BEST Reputation

I'm not American however I agree with Toughy. And this has whole ordeal has got be one of the most asinine things I have seen in a long time
Curley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Curley For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2011, 04:22 PM   #1271
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

I guess what pisses me off the most about this birther crap is that it is ALL based in racism. No way, no how can a black man be the legitimate President of this country.

It made me sick to watch racist mother fuckers make the black man dance and produce his papers. I can't even imagine how this tears at the heart and soul of all black folks......

And now the mother fucker Trump is saying his education was not legitimate....he got into Harvard because of affirmative action.....'his grades need to be checked'........

Racism is alive and doing pretty good in the USA.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2011, 05:46 PM   #1272
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
I guess what pisses me off the most about this birther crap is that it is ALL based in racism. No way, no how can a black man be the legitimate President of this country.

It made me sick to watch racist mother fuckers make the black man dance and produce his papers. I can't even imagine how this tears at the heart and soul of all black folks......

And now the mother fucker Trump is saying his education was not legitimate....he got into Harvard because of affirmative action.....'his grades need to be checked'........

Racism is alive and doing pretty good in the USA.

Yes- there is no other way to cut it, every aspect from the start (back during his first running), it has been racism. I am disgusted and ashamed of the my country over this.

It isn't simply a "fringe" element behind this at all. And that is what bothers me the most- this is not the product of loonies, it is the product of a predominately racist country. This along with all that has been going on with anti-immigration sentiments and the like bring this home.

Trump's son-in-law bought his way into Harvard, as did "W" to Yale- but it is perfectly acceptable for rich white men to do this. Actually, the trump family history ought to be exposed entirely. Start looking up Fred Trump, his father. Donald is a trust fund brat and doesn't know the meaning of hard work. He walked right into his father's real estate empire. I’m sure there was one single thought in his upbringing about doing what it takes to overcome what Obama had to in order to accomplish what he has as a POC in the US.

I hate it that Obama caved to this too- but he had to feel it was necessary. Someday we will hear about Obama's real thoughts about his time in office about all of this.

Someone said in order for him to be elected he would have to walk on water- how true.
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #1273
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
just to be clear...........Obama released a short form birth certificate either during the campaign or just after he was sworn in. The short form is what most of us have. It's got your parents name, your name, place, date and time you were born. I think this is the only type of birth certificate availible if you are born today.

What is released today is the long form birth certificate which has more info like the doctor's signature etc. They stopped sending those out when they started using only short forms. It took a special request.

Frankly I don't think he should have done it..............he should have told them to go fuck off somewhere.
I agree with you- but then it would be... "Ah, Ha! He IS an angry black man!!"

Yet, Trump is not an angry person?
Old 05-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #1274
Jesse
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
single

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,793 Times in 3,939 Posts
Jesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST ReputationJesse Has the BEST Reputation

"Indians say code name offensive but not surprising..."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110505/...laden_geronimo
“You’re so hard on yourself. Take a moment. Sit back. Marvel at your life: at the grief that softened you, at the heartache that widened you, at the suffering that strengthened you. Despite everything, you still grow. Be proud of this.”
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jesse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #1275
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
"Indians say code name offensive but not surprising..."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110505/...laden_geronimo
It is offensive and of course racist, and really really disturbing to be yet again compared to terrorists.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #1276
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Oh for Pete's sake:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/music/bli...esingerwasgay/

Ironically, If they want to get rid of everything created/written/anything by a gay/bisexual person, they'd have to do away with the Bible in the churches; it carries the name of the biggest Queen in history.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #1277
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

anyone watching this or live close?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/14/flo...pt=T1&iref=BN1

Morganza, Louisiana (CNN) -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers opened the first of potentially several bays of the Morganza spillway on Saturday afternoon, a move intended to spare some areas from severe flooding while redirecting water into others.
"Protecting lives is the No. 1 thing we are looking for," Gen. Michael Walsh, president of the Mississippi River Commission, told reporters prior to the opening. "That's exactly what we're doing as we operate the different systems on the Mississippi River."

Hopefully it goes as planned.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #1278
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
anyone watching this or live close?

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/05/14/flo...pt=T1&iref=BN1

Morganza, Louisiana (CNN) -- The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers opened the first of potentially several bays of the Morganza spillway on Saturday afternoon, a move intended to spare some areas from severe flooding while redirecting water into others.
"Protecting lives is the No. 1 thing we are looking for," Gen. Michael Walsh, president of the Mississippi River Commission, told reporters prior to the opening. "That's exactly what we're doing as we operate the different systems on the Mississippi River."

Hopefully it goes as planned.
Because I do still have "in-laws" in the South, I have been watching news about these horrific events. They are all fine physically, but one lost a home. The TV coverage of these floods is heartbreaking.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #1279
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
Because I do still have "in-laws" in the South, I have been watching news about these horrific events. They are all fine physically, but one lost a home. The TV coverage of these floods is heartbreaking.
It seems so unreal to watch TV and see the grand Mighty Mississippi, so many miles, so many millions being affected for so many days. The memories of RiverBoats put aside for now, and prayers for the people, livestock, land and the river.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #1280
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation
Default Donald Trump Not Running For President In 2012

I am glad, yet not surprised. Too many skeletons under that rug.

Full article below:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_862514.html
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:

Tags
breaking news, news