Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,245 Posts
Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation
Default US Olympic Outfits

Made IN China! WTF

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...opstories.html

And why are the woman being dressed in skirts?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
Made IN China! WTF

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...opstories.html

And why are the woman being dressed in skirts?
I wonder if the women can choose pants or a skirt? Hope so.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Did anyone look at the prices of those things?! $800 for a blazer?! Really?

The Canadian Official Olympic apparel, sold by Hudson's Bay, is also made in China. I think that's the unfortunate reality.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks to Mitt Romney and Bain Capital for starting the off shoring of US manufacturing jobs this is the reality. I am amazed anyone is surprised. Where do you thing your clothes and shoes are manufactured?

I think there needs to be a letter writing campaign (to US Olympic Committee) about the women in skirts stupidity if there is not a slacks/pants option.
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow Ridiculous

Looks like for the 2014 Winter Olympic Ralph Lauren uniforms will be U.S. made, it's to "late" to redo the stupid ones that they will wear soon.

BOO!
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
SnackTime

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
UNattainable

2 Highscores

Thanked 13,229 Times in 2,884 Posts
SnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST ReputationSnackTime Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
Looks like for the 2014 Winter Olympic Ralph Lauren uniforms will be U.S. made, it's to "late" to redo the stupid ones that they will wear soon.

BOO!
I heard on ABC World News that there are U.S. companies who employ U.S. citizens that could still make the uniforms in time for the Olympics however, I am tired so perhaps I misunderstood the statement...

"There's something to be said for not saying anything"
SnackTime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnackTime For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnackTime View Post
I heard on ABC World News that there are U.S. companies who employ U.S. citizens that could still make the uniforms in time for the Olympics however, I am tired so perhaps I misunderstood the statement...

Yes, BUT they would not be "Ralph Lauren", I suspect money trail.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #8
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,248 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

I find the uniforms very old fashioned and an insult to women.

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #9
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Personally, I do not like the outfits. Now, though it is atypical of me, I do not mind the "Made in China" part but only because the Olympics are about bringing the world together in the spirit of competition. What I do mind is that they were made in China where the workers are paid a pittance and yet the "replica" uniforms are being sold for unreal amounts.

To me, the outfits look like something a stewardess would have worn, back in the day.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #10
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

I find it profoundly sad that it was not too terribly long ago that clothing was still made in the USA.

That the US Olympic team bought uniforms made in China instead of the USA blows my mind.

I know I am old but I still have some clothing I bought in the early 80's that still looks new, that has the Ladies Garment Workers union label inside.

Let's see if clothing not made in the USA can last that long and still look good almost 30 years later!

I still remember these commercials too. Anyone else that can still sing along?

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner

Last edited by *Anya*; 07-13-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Can't spell need my spellcheck at all times!
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #11
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

To bad Ralph Lauren isn't more interested in proudly displaying a "Made in America" label on his clothing than farming out jobs that save him millions in wages~
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 05:05 AM   #12
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
Let's see if clothing not made in the USA can last that long and still look good almost 30 years later!
Leaving aside the issues of whether the US team's clothing should be made within the USA and the styles, there's absolutely nothing that is intrinsically superior to clothing (or other goods) manufactured in the USA than any other part of the world.

I've purchased many items of clothing made in lower cost parts of Asia that are of very high quality and, in many instances, much better than most clothing manufactured in the USA (or the UK or continental Europe for that matter).
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

Okiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST ReputationOkiebug61 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
Leaving aside the issues of whether the US team's clothing should be made within the USA and the styles, there's absolutely nothing that is intrinsically superior to clothing (or other goods) manufactured in the USA than any other part of the world.

I've purchased many items of clothing made in lower cost parts of Asia that are of very high quality and, in many instances, much better than most clothing manufactured in the USA (or the UK or continental Europe for that matter).
Are the workers who make these clothes paid well?
The Following User Says Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

1. As a citizen of the USA, I stand by my belief that outfits for the USA Olympic team should be made in the USA. Besides the fact that it supports the workers in our/my own country, I feel the employers in our/my country should keep jobs in this country.

2. If you have also had clothing that you bought in the early 80's, in China, that still looks good as new today and that you still are able to wear today-that is outstanding.

My personal experience has been different than yours.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiebug61 View Post
Are the workers who make these clothes paid well?
My post made no reference to the remuneration of clothing employees in Asia - rather, it was to counter a post that implied that items produced in the US were superior to those produced overseas.

Most of us are aware that outsourcing / offshoring is primarily to reduce costs so I'm not going to try to argue that those who work in offshoring roles in Asia are well paid and, similarly, most of us are aware of "sweatshops", poorly regulated, that exist across much of Asia.

That said, last time I looked, many US workers in the garment industry weren't well paid and, furthermore, with the cost of living in the US, you'll find that the quality of lifestyle of many full-time workers in the US is often not much better (and can be worse) than those in comparable roles in much of the developing world (BRIC nations and the Next Eleven).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

Even Ralph Lauren's sketches show all the women in dresses or skirts. WTF? How am I supposed to show pride in my country(the one these athletes are representing), when our athletes are forced into little gender suits with a Ralph Lauren label displaying "made in china"??? Is this my country? Really? Grrrr...
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #17
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
1. As a citizen of the USA, I stand by my belief that outfits for the USA Olympic team should be made in the USA. Besides the fact that it supports the workers in our/my own country, I feel the employers in our/my country should keep jobs in this country.

2. If you have also had clothing that you bought in the early 80's, in China, that still looks good as new today and that you still are able to wear today-that is outstanding.

My personal experience has been different than yours.
No issue with you wanting jobs kept in your own country or supporting workers in your own country. I feel the same way but about my own country, not about the USA.

Rather, my post related to your comment about quality of clothing. I don't have any 1980s clothing from China and, being honest, I don't really want any as it's probably not my fashion. Furthermore, I'd prefer not to retain clothing for 30 years.

However, your post implied that "clothing not made in the USA" was somehow inferior to clothing made in the USA and that's simply not the case.

I buy a lot of clothes and, in my experience, the quality of clothing from China or the Philippines can be exceptionally good whereas the quality of clothing from the USA can be extremely shoddy and vice-versa.

If you want to bury your head in the sand and think USA manufactured clothing is necessarily better than clothing that originates overseas then so be it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

http://www.americansworking.com/clothing.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Okiebug61 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #19
Hollylane
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 26,373 Times in 5,877 Posts
Hollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST ReputationHollylane Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
My post made no reference to the remuneration of clothing employees in Asia - rather, it was to counter a post that implied that items produced in the US were superior to those produced overseas.

Most of us are aware that outsourcing / offshoring is primarily to reduce costs so I'm not going to try to argue that those who work in offshoring roles in Asia are well paid and, similarly, most of us are aware of "sweatshops", poorly regulated, that exist across much of Asia.

That said, last time I looked, many US workers in the garment industry weren't well paid and, furthermore, with the cost of living in the US, you'll find that the quality of lifestyle of many full-time workers in the US is often not much better (and can be worse) than those in comparable roles in much of the developing world (BRIC nations and the Next Eleven).
I hear that you are saying that you are aware about the pay and treatment of outsourced workers.

While they are saving money, those savings are not showing up in the costs of these outfits, and we are not saving face in the eyes of the world by participating in giving more jobs to a country who so obviously does not care about their own people, our people, or the environment. In my opinion, by doing this, we are becoming a country of people who doesn't care about our people (jobs, even temporary ones are better than no employment opportunities), their people (workers who are forced to work for pennies, forced to work long hours, threatened, forced to live in unsanitary living quarters...etc...etc), or the environment (we do not hold their factories to the same standards of our own).

Is this the face of America? I hope not. I think it is the face of American Corporate Greed. It is a side of America, but not one that I'd like to see so prominently and shamelessly displayed at the Olympics.

As far as quality goes, I don't need to claim that American made clothing is better than what is produced in any other country. But, I will say that in my experience, most of the clothing I have ever purchased that was made in China, has not been of the best quality, and rarely keeps its shape or color through a few washes.

As a personal choice, I do not want to purchase anything that is made in another country that has something on it about our country. To be clear, I mean that I try not to purchase a Mt St Helen's sweat jacket, that is made in another country. If I want a memory of Washington, I'd like that article of clothing to at least be American made. It just doesn't carry the same memory value otherwise.

Admittedly, I just went into my closet and discovered that I am sometimes a hypocrite when it comes to my choices. I guess I have to work harder at sticking to my guns when it comes to my tourist type purchases.

Last edited by Hollylane; 07-14-2012 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Honesty.
Hollylane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hollylane For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
Okiebug61

How Do You Identify?:
Light Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Hitched to Red

I'd like to get back to the original subject please! If anyone wants to argue about who's country or what country makes the best clothes then please start your own thread.