Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Trans Zone

Old 04-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #21
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,829 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_girl View Post
This has not much to do with our interpersonal relationships but everything to do with mankind. I chose not to watch the video after reading the details posted about it. I don't need to see horror to believe it.

This is not exclusive to transgendered folks, unfortunately. ANYone who stands out as different is a target. Sometimes it does not take that much. It breaks my heart that this happens in this day and age to people in our queer community.

Sadly this sort of thing will keep people in the closet.

While I agree that attacks like these may keep some in the closet, it also speaks to the strength of those before us - and today - who won't hide. The only way our civilization will evolve is through necessity, which can only come through the constant and persistent presence of transpeople.

Sometimes it's scary as shit. Some of us will be hurt, some will lose their lives. So when will it end? It won't. Racially motivated crimes are still being perpetuated against people who have been fighting the battle of acceptance and integration longer than transpeople, so why should we think it will end anytime soon?

Once, I was confronted on the subway by two men. The situation became heated, and one of them tried to intimidate me by getting in my space, pushing his chest at me and threatening me. I told him to bring it, because if he was going to threaten to kill me and if he touched me, then he better be sure to kill me, because I was sure enough going to try to kill him. Maybe it was foolish of me, but in that moment, I believed it was all I had and he did back off. There may be a time I won't be that fortunate, but on that day, I was willing to face whatever came as a result of living true to myself. I can't imagine any other way to be.

I understand there are some situations and places too dangerous to be "out," but we won't be accepted if we hide. When we hide, we let those who think we are "wrong" win.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken

Last edited by Mister Bent; 04-23-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #22
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tabitha View Post
Another article:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/upda...beating-video/

also:

McDonald's Employee Took Credit For Filming Brutal Beating In Baltimore Fast Food Joint

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/...medium=twitter

Wow, that last article especially is really upsetting.

Quote:
As seen above, in a Facebook posting, Hackett contended that the woman seen getting beaten in the video was actually a man "dressed lik a woman" who got into a confrontation with female patrons when he refused to leave the women’s bathroom at the Baltimore-area eatery. Hackett claimed that the victim faked a seizure and, when cops arrived at the restaurant, “he got right up.”
Quote:
He wasn't transgendered He Was A Man Dressed Lik A Woman....He Still Had His Male Parts.
And ignorance very obviously came into play here. She wasn't trans because she still had her "male parts" (how does he even know that?)? Really? So transwomen who haven't been able to afford SRS aren't trans now? Geez, ain't that great. I'm glad we have this genius around to tell us who is and isn't trans.

And I think the fact that this was transphobia is pretty blatant in the language used. Throughout the attack the attackers keep calling her "a bitch" and other similar words. Why would they have called her that if they truly thought she was just a "man" trying to get into the women's washroom. I also question whether she would have been attacked so viciously if they truly thought she was a man trying to harrass them in the washroom. She was barely fighting back, and either way you don't continue to beat the crap out of someone who can't even fight back. Whether they admit it or not they attacked her because they knew they could, they knew she was vulnerable and probably because they thought she was a "freak." People probably stood back and watched for the same damn reason.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #23
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,958 Times in 13,923 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bent View Post

While I agree that attacks like these may keep some in the closet, it also speaks to the strength of those before us - and today - who won't hide. The only way our civilization will evolve is through necessity, which can only come through the constant and persistent presence of transpeople.

Sometimes it's scary as shit. Some of us will be hurt, some will lose their lives. So when will it end? It won't. Racially motivated crimes are still being perpetuated against people who have been fighting the battle of acceptance and integration longer than transpeople, so why should we think it will end anytime soon?

Once, I was confronted on the subway by two men. The situation became heated, and one of them tried to intimidate me by getting in my space, pushing his chest at me and threatening me. I told him to bring it, because if he was going to threaten to kill me and if he touched me, then he better be sure to kill me, because I was sure enough going to try to kill him. Maybe it was foolish of me, but in that moment, I believed it was all I had and he did back off. There may be a time I won't be that fortunate, but on that day, I was willing to face whatever came as a result of living true to myself. I can't imagine any other way to be.

I understand there are some situations and places too dangerous to be "out," but we won't be accepted if we hide. When we hide, we let those who think we are "wrong" win.

I should have finished my thought, which was that if we DO allow this to keep us hidden, (I don't even like using "us" here because I am not TG and have no idea what struggles they have first hand, but I do have empathy in this situation) they keep the power. This video should be enough to cause outrage. It will keep some people hidden, but I hope it doesn't!

I don't believe in giving attention to negative attention (Churches who gay bash, for example) but I believe when it is this extreme it needs to exposed to everyone.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #24
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,892 Times in 5,770 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post

If a state is not going to allow laws protecting trans people as far as which bathroom they can use, then it at least needs to address the issue of...which fucking bathroom is it safe to use? Make more gender neutral washrooms if you're not going to protect people's basic right to use a washroom. This could have just as well have happened had this woman tried to use the men's bathroom. What is she supposed to do?
Unfortunately, in Maryland, the answer is "be the male you are and use the men's room And look like a guy if you don't want to get beat up there."

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #25
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,558 Times in 2,992 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation
Red face petition

http://www.change.org/petitions/dema...-a-trans-woman
Old 04-23-2011, 09:42 AM   #26
Dreams
In memory of

How Do You Identify?:
self proclaimed ruler of nekid monday's
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey you..
Relationship Status:
busy..

Dreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST ReputationDreams Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.change.org/petitions/dema...-a-trans-woman

please consider signing..

It is good to have an end to journey towards,
but it is the journey that matters in the end.
Ursula Le Guin
Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dreams For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #27
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Unfortunately, in Maryland, the answer is "be the male you are and use the men's room And look like a guy if you don't want to get beat up there."
I truly hope this events helps open their eyes. I want to see how this case unfolds, because surely they cannot dimiss this. They surely can't deny that this was an assault inspired by hatred or that something needs to be done to protect trans people.

@weatherboi and Dreams, thanks for linking us to the petition. I've signed it and passed it on. I hope everyone does the same!
Old 04-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #28
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Quote:
I truly hope this events helps open their eyes. I want to see how this case unfolds, because surely they cannot dimiss this. They surely can't deny that this was an assault inspired by hatred or that something needs to be done to protect trans people.

@weatherboi and Dreams, thanks for linking us to the petition. I've signed it and passed it on. I hope everyone does the same!

That would certainly be fantastic, Ender, but I don't hold out much hope.

This just happened in February in Baltimore:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news...ruggled_f.html

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #29
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,627 Times in 3,978 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

My apologies...I used the wrong term. My sub is considering MtF, not FtM...jeezh you would think I would not mix this up...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #30
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Quote:
That would certainly be fantastic, Ender, but I don't hold out much hope.

This just happened in February in Baltimore:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news...ruggled_f.html
Thanks for sharing the article, Dapper. This happens far too often. One thing that I hoped would spark change in this case is that it was caught on tape and happened in front of a number of witnesses who did nothing. I don't know why I thought that would make a difference, but I thought if they could actually see the brutality many transwomen face for themselves they would finally understand how badly transfolks need legal protection.

One thing I noticed with the article about Tyra as well as Crissy (and in articles on other transwomen who have been beaten or murdered) is that the reporters always see fit to include criminal records that include prostitution as well as charges related to poverty and prostitution. Why is this relevant to their deaths? Are the reporters implying that it is relevant? The sad reality for many transwomen is that their circumstances force them into sex work that often puts them in situations where they might suffer even more abuse. Those writing about their abuse and/or murder should take that into consideration when they start revealing these things to the public.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #31
WingsOnFire

How Do You Identify?:
Queer..femme.. .babygirl...girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female Ones...
Relationship Status:
Enjoying life but ready to meet someone

Thanked 12,476 Times in 3,357 Posts
WingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I had to find the strength to watch this video. There is strength in numbers and by not watching it and not responding I am part of the silence. I cant be that. So I watched it. And I emailed McDonalds. Here was my comments.

"I am shocked and saddened by the horror that was inflicted on the woman in Baltimore County MD. There is no excuse for the inability for the employees to act quickly to protect this woman. It doesn't matter what your employees thought of a trans-gendered person. She was a human being! I cant imagine someone watching an animal be treated this way let alone a human being.

I am appalled that your employees. Yes, YOUR employees were cruel enough to laugh and record her torture. To the point that she went into a seizure and they still laughed at her. This is 2011 not 1960. I really hope that McDonald's does the right thing and fires each of the employees that were there that night that did nothing to help. It is a shame that they had to have an elderly patron come to her defense instead of your own employees.

I visit McDonald's every day, sometimes twice a day. I will be hard put to visit again if the right thing is not done in this case. This human being deserved to be treated better, deserved to be protected in a place that also has the sign of "Safe House" on their walls. This person was not safe. Your employees were just as guilty as the patrons who beat her.

Oh, by the way, this patron who spends at least $150 - $200 A month at your establishments is engaged to a trans male. So yes I am appalled."

Previously known as MidnightBlueEyes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://gailsforum.files.wordpress.co...-psd340941.png
WingsOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to WingsOnFire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #32
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,782 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Wow, that last article especially is really upsetting.

And ignorance very obviously came into play here. She wasn't trans because she still had her "male parts" (how does he even know that?)? Really? So transwomen who haven't been able to afford SRS aren't trans now? Geez, ain't that great. I'm glad we have this genius around to tell us who is and isn't trans.

And I think the fact that this was transphobia is pretty blatant in the language used. Throughout the attack the attackers keep calling her "a bitch" and other similar words. Why would they have called her that if they truly thought she was just a "man" trying to get into the women's washroom. I also question whether she would have been attacked so viciously if they truly thought she was a man trying to harrass them in the washroom. She was barely fighting back, and either way you don't continue to beat the crap out of someone who can't even fight back. Whether they admit it or not they attacked her because they knew they could, they knew she was vulnerable and probably because they thought she was a "freak." People probably stood back and watched for the same damn reason.
Calling her a bitch, etc- it is misogyny and sexism in addition to transphobia. Every time I hear about a transwoman (and almost always transmen as well) being denigrated it is full of not only transphobic language but language that denigrates women as well. Transwomen are denied being seen as women or taken seriously as women, but at the same time subjected to the worst sexism and misogyny imaginable.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #33
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the article, Dapper. This happens far too often. One thing that I hoped would spark change in this case is that it was caught on tape and happened in front of a number of witnesses who did nothing. I don't know why I thought that would make a difference, but I thought if they could actually see the brutality many transwomen face for themselves they would finally understand how badly transfolks need legal protection.

One thing I noticed with the article about Tyra as well as Crissy (and in articles on other transwomen who have been beaten or murdered) is that the reporters always see fit to include criminal records that include prostitution as well as charges related to poverty and prostitution. Why is this relevant to their deaths? Are the reporters implying that it is relevant? The sad reality for many transwomen is that their circumstances force them into sex work that often puts them in situations where they might suffer even more abuse. Those writing about their abuse and/or murder should take that into consideration when they start revealing these things to the public.
This has been the case for women in general forever. Transwomen are certainly among the highest populations to be assaulted and killed within gender variant groups, yet, so much comes down to misogyny.

I am also thinking about transmen that have been assaulted because they arn't real men.

As the season of many Pride events is upon us, I hope there is more awareness of these kinds of hate crimes promoted. We all need to make a lot more noise about these crimes.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #34
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Thanked 11,917 Times in 2,700 Posts
Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I know there is a thread already for remembering trans people lost to violence, but I really thought this deserved its own thread. Trans people are still systematically discriminated against, beaten, harrassed and killed and it seems all some people can do is sit back and laugh or act like trans people are overreacting.

The below link is to a video of a transwoman being brutally beaten by a group of women at a McDonald's in Baltimore. The video is really disturbing and I had trouble watching it all the way through, so consider yourself warned.

What's so horrible is that only the McDonald's manager and an elderly woman tried to stop the group of women from beating this transwoman. Other employees stood back and watched, laughing while filming the scene on their cellphones. What the fuck kind of idiot does that? A person is being assaulted in front of you by a group of people and you sit back and laugh, trying to catch it on film? They're lying there bleeding and you do nothing? When is this shit going to stop?

http://www.bilerico.com/2011/04/tran..._mcdonalds.php

This is disgusting on so many levels it needs a spread sheet.

It is devasting to me that 911 was not the first thing on anyone's mind.

It is the deliberate intentions behind every kick she received that ultimately
scars the longest, those kind of bruises will break you from the inside out.

The bravery of the woman, who could be anyones gramma...stepping in
and risking her life...to me is a failing statistic across the World.

Makes me wonder why...about a lot of things.

I don't have the answer to changing the mentality nor teachings that go
on generation after generation, but I try to keep a groovy dream that the
more we all teach and do the right thing, the better things have
a chance to be for every Human Being.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #35
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

A lot of ridiculous shit is being said in the media now. The article below is picking up on a trend in some media sources and blogs talking about this being a "racially motivated" hate crime. I am literally fuming right now and here is why (and posted this in the comments in site below as well):

a) calling this anything else than transphobia and even neglecting to call it transphobia (ie. "racially motivated") seems like they are covering up the severity and brutal reality of transphobia. b) it attempts to pit marginalized group against marginalized group instead of looking at it as cisgender women (or in other cases, cis people in general) assaulting a trans person solely because they are trans.

When is mainstream society going to take a good hard look at transphobia? It doesn't help that half of them don't even know what being transgender means. Homophobia is a term recognised in the mainstream, and I wish transphobia carried the same status as far as awareness of existence. The lack of awareness renders many transfolks invisible in these cases.

http://www.bilerico.com/2011/04/mcdo...ied_camera.php

But I am heartened by the fact that the petition going around has jumped from 4000 to 10,000 signatures in a matter of hours. When I read the comments on the petition I am both heartened and made aware of how much work there is to be done in educating people. I'm glad that many are appalled by the violence this transwoman faced at the hands of those two girls. But many seem to think transwoman = gay man in stereotypical female clothing. That needs to change. Their heart seems to be in the right place though.

Also, the "cameraman" has been fired, which I'm happy to hear. I think he should face charges, though, considering he was egging the girls on, telling them to leave before the police came and generally acting like this woman deserved to be assaulted.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #36
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post

The bravery of the woman, who could be anyones gramma...stepping in
and risking her life...to me is a failing statistic across the World.
I agree, this woman was very brave for stepping in the way she did. I read that apparently she was also punched in the face as well when she first tried to step in. Authorities noticed that she had a lot of redness around one eye congruent with being struck. It's sad that someone who tries to defend another person in trouble is assaulted for wanting to defend them. This whole story is so wrong on so many levels.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #37
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Thanked 11,917 Times in 2,700 Posts
Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
A lot of ridiculous shit is being said in the media now. The article below is picking up on a trend in some media sources and blogs talking about this being a "racially motivated" hate crime. I am literally fuming right now and here is why (and posted this in the comments in site below as well):

a) calling this anything else than transphobia and even neglecting to call it transphobia (ie. "racially motivated") seems like they are covering up the severity and brutal reality of transphobia. b) it attempts to pit marginalized group against marginalized group instead of looking at it as cisgender women (or in other cases, cis people in general) assaulting a trans person solely because they are trans.

When is mainstream society going to take a good hard look at transphobia? It doesn't help that half of them don't even know what being transgender means. Homophobia is a term recognised in the mainstream, and I wish transphobia carried the same status as far as awareness of existence. The lack of awareness renders many transfolks invisible in these cases.

But I am heartened by the fact that the petition going around has jumped from 4000 to 10,000 signatures in a matter of hours. When I read the comments on the petition I am both heartened and made aware of how much work there is to be done in educating people. I'm glad that many are appalled by the violence this transwoman faced at the hands of those two girls. But many seem to think transwoman = gay man in stereotypical female clothing. That needs to change. Their heart seems to be in the right place though.

Also, the "cameraman" has been fired, which I'm happy to hear. I think he should face charges, though, considering he was egging the girls on, telling them to leave before the police came and generally acting like this woman deserved to be assaulted.
And I don't want to simplify this in the least ~ but my thought is, if I was
looking for racially motivated in this crime, it would quickly occur to me
that the woman who stepped in did not share the same race as the
attackers ~ which seems to me, she too would have sustained
an attack as well, especially since she was the
only one who had the lions heart to
roar back in the whole place.

Old 04-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #38
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

The victim has commented on the attack and says she's been frightened to leave her home since it happened:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...,3336656.story

Quote:
"My record's got nothing to do with what happened in McDonald's," she said. "Anyone in my predicament should not be afraid to walk the streets. They should not have to go into a restaurant and get gawked at and made fun of. They shouldn't be afraid to leave the house. It's just wrong."
and then they go and write this:

Quote:
Polis, who has a criminal record that includes charges of prostitution and property destruction, said she plans to take legal action against the restaurant.
The first part of this sentence has nothing to do with the last. What does having a record have to do with planning to take legal action on someone who assaults you?

@Daywalker, I agree with you. Also, if it was racially motivated I doubt the events would have transpired over the use of a public washroom. If she had simply been a white ciswoman I don't think they would have started randomly assaulting her for being in a public washroom.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #39
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
The victim has commented on the attack and says she's been frightened to leave her home since it happened:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...,3336656.story

and then they go and write this:

The first part of this sentence has nothing to do with the last. What does having a record have to do with planning to take legal action on someone who assaults you?

@Daywalker, I agree with you. Also, if it was racially motivated I doubt the events would have transpired over the use of a public washroom. If she had simply been a white ciswoman I don't think they would have started randomly assaulting her for being in a public washroom.

It also reads:

It's not the first time, Polis said, that she's been picked on — physically — because of her sexual preferences. She said she's been subjected to beatings and even sexual assaults.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #40
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:

*SNIP*
Ender, I appreciate you posting updates as they came in.

I noticed in the first article the police said they would "upgrade" (my quotes), it to a hate crime if they found it to be racially motivated. It was said right on the heels of Equality Maryland speaking out (about her being trans...which DOESN'T relate...I remember thinking it strange that they put it in the same paragraph as Equality MD's statement).

In the State of MD hate crimes do not include gender identity. It does include race.

If upgraded to a hate crime the penalities are more severe. I would wonder that if it is upgraded, what is the police's motivation/reason for doing so?

1) because they want the suspects to get a stiffer sentence b/c they care about transpeople?

2) because the people in charge of making that decision are of a different race than African-American and are fueled by there own racism?

3) because it makes the police/state look good to apply the hate crime law?

4) because the police force/state gets something material out of calling it a hate crime (government money, other "bonuses"?)?

Don't know, but I doubt it is number one...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: