Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > LGBT Activism, Allies, ETC.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation
Default Activism, Organizing, Pride Events: Good Strategies for Visibility

Tomorrow afternoon, I am going to go to a local warehouse-type store and purchase a display tent and table for ThePlanet to start using to set up at Pride events and such. We have a ton of Pride events within a 300-mile radius and Jack and I both LOVE to road-trip so I was thinking that we could go to Tennessee, Mississippi, Missouri, East Texas, Louisiana, and maybe even Kentucky to look for Queers who don't know about us and do some outreach to the Stud and Diva community as well.

It occurred to me that printing some fliers to advertise the Reunion would be good and maybe getting a couple of giant bags of candy and cases of water to sell to recoup some of the cost of the tent for The Planet.
What else would be good to have available at the table? Information on what "Butch" and "Femme" means? A list of websites with good resources?

I was thinking it might go a long way to just shake some hands, hand out some cards and flyers, and just let folks know we are here. And honestly? We can set up at this particular Pride event for only $15, that's pretty cheap advertising

I would love to hear from other folks who have worked Pride events or parades, done any kind of visible activism, etc. What were your best ideas? Things that worked? Things that didn't?
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I found butches and femmes to body paint once. Paint the Planet logo on some hotties.

Oh. Pens, Pencils and Keychains can be made for cheap. Those are good tools.
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

I like free postcards that have an attractive image on the front and pertinent info on the back. They have the feeling of being a "freebie", are easy to put in a pocket, and can be put on the fridge or mailed to a friend who may be interested- second life. They are also cheap- can get about 1000 for under 50 bucks.
Good luck!
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,559 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

I have always had great luck with refridgerator magnets. I have clients that call me now from home shows i did 3 years ago off those magnets. I think they cost me .15 cents per magnet.
weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Dang y'all! Find me some links! I'm salivating!!!

I found a site that we have used before. They do pens and postcards and such but seem to be a tiny bit expensive (Y'all know Im a Virgo so I want to save ThePlanet as much dough as possible)
The Following User Says Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Anyone ever used Overnightprints.com??

http://www.overnightprints.com/?A=50...FRdY2godNHZ_Mg
Old 05-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
SuperFemme
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Permanently Banned 10/24/2010
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Married (one of 18,000)

4 Highscores

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,327 Posts
SuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST ReputationSuperFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

http://www.4imprint.com/sale?fs=Lowe...6370-b-1864294

http://www.pinnaclepromotions.com/

http://www.mapleleafpromotions.com/
SuperFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #8
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

http://print24.com/us-en/product/pos...FQ1X2godNnE_Lw

I've never used them but at 1000/$30 they might be worth a try.

------------------------------------------------

http://www.modernpostcard.com/produc...ndard-postcard

I've used them and the print quality is excellent- but they are NOT cheap. ( about .28 a card which is ok if you're selling them but a bit pricey for a freebie)
Old 05-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation

You can always have live billboards, a butch or femme, with a t-shirt advertising The Planet, have them pass out blow pops or balloons with the logo or colors of the site. You can have a helium tank at your booth to blow up balloons with logo on them and pass them out!
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
Anyone ever used Overnightprints.com??

http://www.overnightprints.com/?A=50...FRdY2godNHZ_Mg
Medusa I believe those prices are for single-sided cards?
I've never used them.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,559 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.magnetsusa.com/Refrigerator-Magnets.html

http://www.epromos.com/category/1674.html
weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Medusa you made me think of something....

Does anyone know a good resource for finding this year's pride events in East Texas? I've only been able to find June events in Houston and Dallas. I'm wondering if their may be pride celebrations in areas like Tyler, Lufkin, Nacogdoches, etc...
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #13
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckle-K View Post
Medusa you made me think of something....

Does anyone know a good resource for finding this year's pride events in East Texas? I've only been able to find June events in Houston and Dallas. I'm wondering if their may be pride celebrations in areas like Tyler, Lufkin, Nacogdoches, etc...

YES! Check this out: http://www.backpage.com/

We have an ad up there
Old 05-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #14
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
YES! Check this out: http://www.backpage.com/

We have an ad up there
Wow, that site has just about everything. Thanks for the link. Tyler may have stuff, but the smaller towns in East Texas just may road-trip to Houston.

I get spoiled up here where every town has a friggin' parade it seems...
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:07 PM   #15
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freckle-K View Post
Wow, that site has just about everything. Thanks for the link. Tyler may have stuff, but the smaller towns in East Texas just may road-trip to Houston.

I get spoiled up here where every town has a friggin' parade it seems...
Texarkana had a Pride event at one time but I dont know if it's still going
Old 05-17-2010, 09:43 AM   #16
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Im getting SUPER excited!

ButchFemmePlanet's first Pride event will be June 6, 2010 in Conway, Arkansas! We went out this weekend and got our display tent and picked up some cases of water to sell. The organizers of Conway Pride are asking for food vendors and I was trying to think of food products that we could sell to make a little money back on the tent we just bought but it would have to be things that are not handled because we dont have a food service license.
Its going to be too hot to sell candy bars but I wonder if granola bars or fruit would be a good idea? I know there will be a lot of health-conscious folks there but I dunno if it will be worth the hassle.

Either way, Im SUPER excited and hope it will help increase visibility for the site. We have had several folks contact me about ThePlanet doing Pride events in other cities - Im still going over the numbers and will be getting back to people later today
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2010, 10:01 AM   #17
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

Sell bottled water, pop and tea or juices......if you can find a good price on variety chips, offer them up with a purchased drink at a combo price. If the Pride events aren't far apart, these things will hold until your next event if left over.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #18
PinkieLee

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
I need ya boo, gotta see ya boo

Thanked 13,087 Times in 3,051 Posts
PinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.showyourlogo.com/custom-magnets.htm

Some of these business card size magnets start around $.06 a piece for 500. I've never used them before, but you could always call and get some more information.
PinkieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PinkieLee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #19
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

WOOT!

PRIDE is this Sunday in Conway, Arkansas and we have our booth all ready to go!

I went out and bought 3 cases of water to sell for $1 each but I just saw that it is going to be almost 100 degrees so I think I will run out and buy 3 more cases of soda or water. They are expecting 300-600 people there so a few more cases of drinks wont hurt, plus whatever we dont use, we can just bring to the Reunion and put in the hospitality room.

Im pretty damn excited! Niceguy and Wolfy are going to help with our tent and I have printed off about 200 flyers for the Reunion. (thinking that my job is about to donate a couple hundred more )

Happy Pride all!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #20
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Exclamation This weekend in Columbus!!

Friday, June 4th – Dance for Pride
Wallstreet Nightclub • 8pm
From 8pm to 10pm Stonewall Columbus will receive the $5 cover charge and donations for Pride 2010.
First 25 people will receive goodie bags full of prizes including your Pride entrance dog tag!
Wallstreet Nightclub, 144 N. Wall Street
Visit http://www.columbuspride.org/events/danceforpride for more information.

Saturday, June 5th – An Exhibit of Pride – Opening Reception
Stonewall Columbus Center on High • 6pm to 10pm
1160 North High Street
Visit http://www.columbuspride.org/events/artshow for more information.

Saturday, June 5th – 4th Annual TransOhio Unity Picnic
Goodale Park • 11am to 6pm. All are welcome!
Visit http://www.columbuspride.org/events/unitypicnic for more information.

Saturday, June 6th – Whole Foods Pride Giving Grill
Feast on freshly grilled foods with a portion of the proceeds benefiting Stonewall Columbus
Whole Foods Market • Noon to 4pm
3670 W. Dublin-Granville Rd
Visit http://www.columbuspride.org/events/wholefoods for more information.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post: