Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 03-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #261
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

Psycho is on tonight on the Chiller Channel.

Watch if you dare!
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #262
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation
Default Jet's FlixMix-Remakes

Double up with
Remakes!

Not all remakes are good—usually not good at all.
But here are a few from different genres that carry their weight make for pretty interesting nights for classics.

The Thing 1982/The Thing from Another World 1951 (science fiction)

A Star is Born 1937/1954 and 1976 (the 1954 version with Judy Garland is my pick) (a true melodrama)

Lady for a Day 1933/Pocket Full of Miracles 1961 (both directed by William Wyler) (Comedy-drama)

Roxy Hart 1942/Chicago 2002 (musical)

These Three 1936/The Children's Hour 1961 (both directed by William Wyler) (heavy drama)

3:10 to Yuma 1957/3:10 to Yuma 2007 (the original is excellent black and white)(western)
Old 03-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #263
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

Not sure I understand what you mean...I hate remakes...even of bad 'B' pics. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Tho I must admit, I like The Children's Hour way better then Those 3 any day of the week! And, yep, A Star Is Born - I like Judy in ANYTHING!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jet View Post

Double up with
Remakes!

Not all remakes are good—usually not good at all.
But here are a few that carry their weight make for pretty interesting nights for classics.

The Thing 1982/The Thing from Another world 1951
A Star is Born 1937/1954 and 1976 (the 1954 version with Judy garland is my pick)
Lady for a Day 1933/Pocket full of Miracles 1961 (both directed by William Wyler)
Roxy Hart 1942/Chicago 2002
These Three 1936/The Children's Hour 1961 (both directed by William Wyler)
3:10 to Yuma 2007/3:10 to Yuma 1957 (the original is excellent black and white)
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #264
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
Not sure I understand what you mean...I hate remakes...even of bad 'B' pics. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Tho I must admit, I like The Children's Hour way better then Those 3 any day of the week! And, yep, A Star Is Born - I like Judy in ANYTHING!!!
well, that's your opinion. i think these are good remakes and that's my opinion.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #265
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

I don't get 'Chiller Channel' whatever that is...but I do have Psycho on tape, and can watch it anytime I want. But you know, after seeing it a gazillion times, it never fails to entrap and mesmerize me - that's the Hitchcock magic at work!!

Quote:
Psycho is on tonight on the Chiller Channel.

Watch if you dare!
Old 03-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #266
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

And we all know that we're entitled to them...opinions, that is.

Quote:
well, that's your opinion. i think these are good remakes and that's my opinion.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #267
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

I'm watching Psycho and then i'm watching another horror flick.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #268
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Enjoy...I'll watch TCM for awhile if there's anything worthwhile.

Quote:
Old 03-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #269
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
remind me never to accept an invitation to sandwiches and milk
Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #270
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Default The Nanny, 1965

I think one of the best psychological thrillers from Bette Davis is The Nanny, 1965
Check out the trailer.

This is a shpooky...movie...about a nanny whose charge are the two children
of a young, wealthy London couple.

The youngest child, a little girl, dies from a freak drowning accident,
but leaves her older brother suspect and sent away.
When he returns to find their nanny still in the household,
he does everything to protect himself from her in an intense cat and mouse game.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_2519YDw4c"]YouTube- The Nunny[/ame]
Old 03-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #271
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Gee,not even if there's stuffed birds involved? lol

Quote:
remind me never to accept an invitation to sandwiches and milk
Old 03-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #272
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

I love Bette Davis, but this is so not my cup of tea, so, I think I'll pass....
I guess she was needing money desparetedly at this point to consend to this type of film...

Quote:
I think one of the best psychological thrillers from Bette Davis is The Nanny, 1965
Check out the trailer.

This is a shpooky...movie...about a nanny whose charge are the two children
of a young, wealthy London couple.

The youngest child, a little girl, dies from a freak drowning accident,
but leaves her older brother suspect and sent away.
When he returns to find their nanny still in the household,
he does everything to protect himself from her in an intense cat and mouse game.

YouTube- The Nunny
Old 03-12-2010, 09:35 PM   #273
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
never saw it? vintage davis and really well done. others may like it, so i'm putting it out here for those looking for classic movies.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #274
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Well, whatever...I just don't like seeing 'The Davis' in that sort of movie...OK, I'm done.

Quote:
never saw it? vintage davis and really well done
Old 03-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #275
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
I guess she was needing money desparetedly at this point to consend to this type of film...
then she must have consented to Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte and Baby Jane since they were done in a row...must have needed money?
Old 03-12-2010, 10:23 PM   #276
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

TCM is great tonight. Plenty of sci-fi B flicks from the 50s.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #277
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

I'm not a big fan of James Coburn or his movies per se.

But there is a great sort of clock and dagger, whodunit that really is good.
The Last of Sheila plays like a sophistocated Clue game
leaving you at the very last asking, "what really happened to Sheila?"
Most of the movie takes place on a yacht, leaving a cast of star-studded
actors as suspects into the disappearance of Sheila.
I recommend this as a great little psychological whodunit from the 70's.
And well worth the watch and the rent if you can get it.
There aren't any good lifts from YouTube, but at least there's visuals:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWh5R1t3820"]YouTube- #489) THE LAST OF SHEILA (1973)[/ame]

See you at the movies...
Old 03-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #278
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Default 5 Easy Pieces

There's a thousand comments we could all make about Jack Nicholson as to what makes him a fantastic actor,
a few not even preferring Nicholson.
I won't share my views about Nicholson other than to say the first time I ever saw him was in 5 Easy Pieces in 1970.
He was nominated for Best Actor. All I remember was his profound presence on screen
and the fact that he made everything seem so real. I thought, "I've never seen anybody like that!"
The best scene of all was in the famous diner scene
which typifies Nicholson's edgy, off the cuff presence.
It's awesome and I'd recommend viewing it as well as a great movie which about...

Summary, 5 Easy Pieces

Robert Dupea has given up his promising career as a concert pianist and is now working in oil fields.
He lives together with Rayette, who's a waitress in a diner.
When Robert hears from his sister that his father isn't well, he drives up to Washington to see him,
taking Rayette with him. There he gets confronted with his rich, cultured family that he had left behind.

See ya at the movies....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wtfNE4z6a8"]YouTube- Five Easy Pieces Diner Scene[/ame]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2010, 01:58 AM   #279
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Speaking of singers...TCM recently showed 'I'll Cry Tomorrow' -not common fare for TCM. I always loved that film, and I love Susan Hayward. She was very good in this. As you know, she died way before her time of a brain tumor. So sad. She was so beautiful...
Loved Susan Hayward.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #280
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

I like sitting down to a classic just because it is classic even if it's not great.
I like The FBI Story as unreal as it was because I like Jimmy Stewart movies.
J. Edgar Hoover had script approval being the paranoid, schizo control freak that he was...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiWHw98XI60"]YouTube- Jimmy Stewart in The FBI Story: Library Proposal Scene[/ame]

I like The Glenn Miller Story too. Helen Miller did wear a size
3 and 1/2 shoe. A peer of mine and I wrote a 3 hour docudrama
for radio on the life Glenn miller called "The Major." They did locate
his single-engine monoplane, a Norseman, in the English channel, a few year's back.
I speculate that, if he would have lived, Glenn Miller would have been a great composer
and arranger in films. He had already done two movies before entering the army and forming the AAF band.
Here's the scene when he discovers "the sound...' after Willie Schwartz cuts his lip on a trumpet. The story is legend but it is a nice one...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6_knLCjiWI"]YouTube- Glenn Miller Story-Cut his lip and the sound[/ame]