Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 02-25-2010, 09:25 PM   #101
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

I realized that after I posted. I went back and corrected my post.
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:18 PM   #102
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,293 Posts
Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

i can do without a Forrest Gump marathon on AMC...enough already...there's plenty of oscar winners out there without them repeating this "yawrn". i didn't like it when i saw it at the theatre. and i don;t consider it a classic. my .02
Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jet For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #103
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Jet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST ReputationJet Has the BEST Reputation

One of my favorites from the old guard.
I liked his presence in his movies, his range of roles,
and the fact that, according to his bio,
"He was one of the first Hollywood celebrities to declare his support for the gay rights movement,
in his Playboy interview from January 1969. He further stated that he would have no problem playing gay
characters on screen, since he was secure with his own sexual orientation."

I'm watching The Dirty Dozen, a helluva lot more entertaining
than Forrest Gump.

See ya at the movies.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:37 AM   #104
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jet View Post
i can do without a Forrest Gump marathon on AMC...enough already...there's plenty of oscar winners out there without them repeating this "yawrn". i didn't like it when i saw it at the theatre. and i don;t consider it a classic. my .02
It was good the first time...maybe the second...but now it's just another example of a network trying to get their money's worth I guess.

Tom Hanks marathon? That would be OK but please, please, please more than just one (or three) films.
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #105
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

I was watching this too - not one of my faves, as I'm not that keen on war movies, altho admitedly, there are some wonderful war flicks. I fell asleep before finishing it. Lee Marvin has a very strong personality - to me, he is the epitome of 'macho'. Indeed, he can be comfortable in his skin playing a gay man, or any 'deviant' role - who could ever question his manhood? Certainly not I!!!

John Casavettes who plays Franco in The Dirty Dozen won an Oscar for his performance. Everytime I see him, I can't help thinking of 'Rosmary's Baby', lol. He also directed, and worked behind the scenes alot. Married to Gina Rawlins, their son, John Jr. is a director himself.

Yeah, what's up with the Gump marathon?? I dislike AMC, and rarely watch it unless I come across a really good film they may be showing...it irritates me to no end that they have commercials. And if they *must*, good grief, why can't they show 'em BETWEEN movies!!!! grrrrrr.

Oh, btw, Ol' Jet...West Side Story will be showing soon - I think next Tuesday, but you can check TCM's schedule to make sure.

Ben Hur on on Sunday at 8pm.

Question - how do you like the 'between-the-films' discussions, commentaries, dialougues that go on? Robert Osborne, whom I admire greatly - the man's a 'walking encyclopedia' is very informative. I also love his 'guest programmers', interviews, etc. I have been watching TCM on a daily basis (well, almost) for 15 years - since it started. I have learned a wealth of background info on everything to do with Hollywood, so very interesting. I also have a large collection of books on Hollywood, it's history and beginnings, the studio system, bios on the stars, etc. I have Volumes I & II of Hollywood Bablyon - a very interesting (and eye-opening) insight to juicy scandal and little known facts about the Icons we love so much!!! A good read indeed!!!!

Quote:
One of my favorites from the old guard.
I liked his presence in his movies, his range of roles,
and the fact that, according to his bio,
"He was one of the first Hollywood celebrities to declare his support for the gay rights movement,
in his Playboy interview from January 1969. He further stated that he would have no problem playing gay
characters on screen, since he was secure with his own sexual orientation."

I'm watching The Dirty Dozen, a helluva lot more entertaining
than Forrest Gump.

See ya at the movies.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #106
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

I'm having a southern dinner with my good friend Mel who has spent the day cooking southern. But I'll come back and respond later...just checking the thread for now...not on ignore. she's fixing food from the south carolina gullah..i'm honored to be entertained with this tradition....sorry for the derail
Old 02-26-2010, 06:19 PM   #107
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Derails are cool, Ol' Jet...
was perusing YouTube and came across this - mostly forgotton nowadays, but I love her.

Here's Nancy Wilson, one ebony beauty singing to the images of another...RIP Josephine, I love you!!

Ol' Jo, had both male and female lovers - and who can blame them! She was stunningly beautiful!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3986lZE0Gc&NR=1&feature=fvwp"]YouTube- Tribute to Josephine Baker[/ame]
Old 02-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #108
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Another Simone Signoret film I'd forgotten about, but facsinating:
"Diabolique' - have you seen that one, Ol' Jet?

Oh, btw, I've been meaning to ask for the longest...did you ever get to see 'Sweet Smell of Success'? If so, what did you think of it?
The Following User Says Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #109
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Default West Side Story, I coulda been a Jet

I was 5 years old when West Side Story was released in 1961.
I don't remember seeing it until I was maybe 7 or 8 at the drive-in with my parents. I loved the music and
choreoghraphy especially the Blues Promenade in the gym, The Jet Song, Somewhere, Tonight and Maria.
I'm glad we have these actors and performances on film, remaining timeless, and the sensitive,
intense Romeo and Juliet romance of West Side Story.

I could go on about Robert Wise, Jerome Robbins and Oscars and all of that, but I have a more of a heartfelt view.
I chose my screen name and composed my signature montage around West Side Story because if I could be anywhere,
anytime, anyone it would be a Jet in West Side Story—at least for a day. I like it's raw energy, it's streetwise edge,
the nuances of the early 60s, and the old school romance of falling in love at first sight.

That said....

This is my small tribute to the people that were so fortunate to make it happen and who they are now.
Thanks for reminding us that it will be on Cinderella. Long live West Side Story.

__________________________________________________ ____

Richard Beymer, Tony

|

Russ Tamblyn, Riff

|

George Chakiris, Best Supporting Actor, Bernardo

|

Rita Moreno, Best Supporting Actress, Anita

|

The late Natalie Wood, Maria

|

The Jet Song

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exGJsv6ZNlo"]YouTube- West Side Story-Jet Song[/ame]
Old 02-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #110
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
Another Simone Signoret film I'd forgotten about, but facsinating:
"Diabolique' - have you seen that one, Ol' Jet?

Oh, btw, I've been meaning to ask for the longest...did you ever get to see 'Sweet Smell of Success'? If so, what did you think of it?
I've never seen Diabolique aired. Would you believe twice "Sweet ...Success" aired I missed it, lol. But i like that kind of drama, Lancaster, Curtis etc. so I'll watch for it again.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #111
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I was watching this too - not one of my faves, as I'm not that keen on war movies, altho admitedly, there are some wonderful war flicks. I fell asleep before finishing it. Lee Marvin has a very strong personality - to me, he is the epitome of 'macho'. Indeed, he can be comfortable in his skin playing a gay man, or any 'deviant' role - who could ever question his manhood? Certainly not I!!!

John Casavettes who plays Franco in The Dirty Dozen won an Oscar for his performance. Everytime I see him, I can't help thinking of 'Rosmary's Baby', lol. He also directed, and worked behind the scenes alot. Married to Gina Rawlins, their son, John Jr. is a director himself.

Yeah, what's up with the Gump marathon?? I dislike AMC, and rarely watch it unless I come across a really good film they may be showing...it irritates me to no end that they have commercials. And if they *must*, good grief, why can't they show 'em BETWEEN movies!!!! grrrrrr.

Oh, btw, Ol' Jet...West Side Story will be showing soon - I think next Tuesday, but you can check TCM's schedule to make sure.

Ben Hur on on Sunday at 8pm.

Question - how do you like the 'between-the-films' discussions, commentaries, dialougues that go on? Robert Osborne, whom I admire greatly - the man's a 'walking encyclopedia' is very informative. I also love his 'guest programmers', interviews, etc. I have been watching TCM on a daily basis (well, almost) for 15 years - since it started. I have learned a wealth of background info on everything to do with Hollywood, so very interesting. I also have a large collection of books on Hollywood, it's history and beginnings, the studio system, bios on the stars, etc. I have Volumes I & II of Hollywood Bablyon - a very interesting (and eye-opening) insight to juicy scandal and little known facts about the Icons we love so much!!! A good read indeed!!!!
Ahhh, yes.... Gena Rowlands is Da Bomb.

Love her.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NImDlin6hE"]YouTube- Gloria 1980 TV trailer[/ame]
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 11:46 PM   #112
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

I was 5 years old when West Side Story was released in 1961.
I don't remember seeing it until I was maybe 7 or 8 at the drive-in with my parents. I loved the music and
choreoghraphy especially the Blues Promenade in the gym, The Jet Song, Somewhere, Tonight and Maria.
I'm glad we have these actors and performances on film, remaining timeless, and the sensitive,
intense Romeo and Juliet romance of West Side Story.

I could go on about Robert Wise, Jerome Robbins and Oscars and all of that, but I have a more of a heartfelt view.
I chose my screen name and composed my signature montage around West Side Story because if I could be anywhere,
anytime, anyone it would be a Jet in West Side Story—at least for a day. I like it's raw energy, it's streetwise edge,
the nuances of the early 60s, and the old school romance of falling in love at first sight.

That said....

This is my small tribute to the people that were so fortunate to make it happen and who they are now.
Thanks for reminding us that it will be on Cinderella. Long live West Side Story.
From WEST SIDE STORY: HOMOSEXUAL SPACE OPERA AT ITS FINEST by Edmund Yeo:
"a dystopian America in which menacing street gangs control New York, and violence (both physical and emotional) and repressed homosexual attraction are sublimated into spontaneous, flamboyant eruptions of singing and dancing."

From Robert Hilferty:
"IN THE 1950’s, four gay men of genius got together and created what is arguably the greatest Broadway show ever. The brainchild of choreographer Jerome Robbins, West Side Story was initially going to be called “East Side Story” and focus on Jewish–Catholic tensions. But once the more dramatic gang war idea took hold, pitting white Americans against Puerto Ricans on rough turf on Manhattan’s Upper West Side, the team’s imagination was fired up. West Side Story was Stephen Sondheim’s first Broadway show as a lyricist and Leonard Bernstein’s fourth Broadway score (after On the Town, Wonderful Town, and the Broadway operetta Candide). Arthur Laurents, later famous for Gypsy, wrote the book.
West Side Story was a groundbreaking musical tragedy with two corpses on stage at the end of Act I. The dance-driven vehicle featured a stunning score with operatic and symphonic sophistication, an eclectic mix of memorable tunes unified through the use of the “tritone”—an interval of three dissonant whole notes that produced a feeling of tension or dread (you can hear it clearly at the beginning of “Maria”). The ever-resourceful Bernstein even included a jazzy 12-tone fugue in his number, “Cool.”
The show opened in 1957 and had a successful run of 732 performances. However, it lost the Tony for Best Musical to the more upbeat The Music Man. In 1961, a movie version starring Natalie Wood was released, nabbing ten Oscars. The LP of the movie soundtrack sold like hotcakes."

Love it!
And what's not to like about Anybodys?

Old 02-27-2010, 12:52 AM   #113
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Default Jet's Movie Mix - Romantic Tearjerkers

Remember bundles, comrade?
I want to suggest mixes of movies that work well together for night of popcorn and nostalgia. This is for the benefit of anyone isn't familiar with great movies and who would like to learn. I could do dozens of these. But two movies that come to mind for a night of romantic tearjerkers, are Made For Each Other, 1939 with James Stewart and Carole Lombard and Penny Serenade, 1941 with Cary Grant and Irene Dunn. Same themes—two great stories about marriage, struggles and heartache. Bring your Kleenex and plan on enjoying two classically tender movies. Here are a couple of samples...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbM8VNSZaZY"]YouTube- Made For Each Other 7/12 (1939)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZN4glAGNME"]YouTube- Penny Serenade 13/16 (1941)[/ame]
Old 02-27-2010, 01:22 AM   #114
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

[QUOTE=Ol' Jet;58134]Remember bundles, comrade?
I want to suggest mixes of movies that work well together for night of popcorn and nostalgia. This is for the benefit of anyone isn't familiar with great movies and who would like to learn. I could do dozens of these. But two movies that come to mind for a night of romantic tearjerkers, are Made For Each Other, 1939 with James Stewart and Carole Lombard and Penny Serenade, 1941 with Cary Grant and Irene Dunn. Same themes—two great stories about marriage, struggles and heartache. Bring your Kleenex and plan on enjoying two classically tender movies. Here are a couple of samples...

Wonderful idea!
I recommend as a double feature:

Tod Browning's "Freaks"
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBXyB7niEc0"]YouTube- gooble gobble[/ame]

And "Les Diaboliques":
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdiybpH6wEQ"]YouTube- "LES DIABOLIQUES" - Excerpt[/ame]
Old 02-27-2010, 02:12 AM   #115
Jet
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
I admire Robert Osborne totally. I did post the cover of Hollywood Babylon, the first edition earlier, don't know if you saw it. I didn't read the second one, but I was fascinated with the scandals etc. I have Hollywood coffee table hardbacks back home in storage, The MGM Story, 50 Years of Movies and The Movie Stars. They were given to me as gifts from my mom and friends. Anything I learned about movies just came from liking them.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:23 AM   #116
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Kenneth Anger is so freaking great.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CHLsN29AEA"]YouTube- THE FILMS OF KENNETH ANGER VOL. 1 DVD TRAILER[/ame]

Too bad Hollywood Babylon 3 was nixed.
http://old.disinfo.com/archive/pages...pg1/index.html
Old 02-27-2010, 07:00 AM   #117
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Cyclopea, thanks for correcting the spelling of Gina Rowlands name, sorry. I do that alot, lol. But it's good to see that folks are 'on their toes' about this sort of thing!! Warms my heart!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclopea View Post
Ahhh, yes.... Gena Rowlands is Da Bomb.

Love her.
YouTube- Gloria 1980 TV trailer
Old 02-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #118
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

I hope this doesn't come off as sounding pompous, or discourage folks that are not as knowledgeable into not participating - but it's such a pleasure to chat with you guys. You are both so knowledgeable and informed. I've tried starting a similar thread on another site, but with the exception of a couple of peeps, all I'm getting is titles, and 'Yeah, I liked that one', etc. No in-depth discussions which was what I was hoping for.

I suggested assigning a film for all of us to watch, then discuss. That too didn't work out as well as I would've liked it to. Perhaps it's my fault not having very good moderating skills, or perhaps not enough structure, whatever the reason...it's not working.

On this thread I am feeling more 'fulfilled' in my search for discussion, and the vids & commentaries are awesome. Yes, we may be 'all over the place', but I am enjoying this immensely.

Ol' Jet, I knew of your love for WSS - that's why I mentioned it. And you prob *were* a Jet in another life!!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:25 AM   #119
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

One of my great fantacies is to be a guest programmer on TCM. Not only would I get to meet and chat with my idol - Robert Osborne, but I'd get to pick 3 great films!! Question - which 3 would you pick, and why? I know it's very hard to pick just 3, but if you had to, which would they be? Here's my choice:

1. My Cousin Rachel (Richard Burton's American debut) - because it's never been aired, and is a great Gothic romance, along the lines of Wuthering Heights (another favorite of mine)

2. Witness for the Prosecution - just because it's an awesome Billie Wilder film, and they just don't show it enough!

3. Judgement at Nuremburg (what an incredible cast!!) - reason, same as #2.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:34 AM   #120
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Freakishly mesmerizing!! Reminds me of a French film - Beauty & the Beast - Whoopie Goldberg's choice as a guest programmer on TCM. I will search for a clip of the vid on YouTube. It's an enchantingly strange film with somewhat of a 'freakish' twist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclopea View Post
Kenneth Anger is so freaking great.

YouTube- THE FILMS OF KENNETH ANGER VOL. 1 DVD TRAILER

Too bad Hollywood Babylon 3 was nixed.
http://old.disinfo.com/archive/pages...pg1/index.html