Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Communication, Friendship, Getting To Know One Another

Old 08-25-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation
Default Generation SILENT

Aging and the LGBT community. Film maker Stu Maddux has made a film describing how our elderly are returning to the closet for self preservation in the institutional aging system. Very important work.

http://stumaddux.com/GEN_SILENT.html
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:37 AM   #2
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
Aging and the LGBT community. Film maker Stu Maddux has made a film describing how our elderly are returning to the closet for self preservation in the institutional aging system. Very important work.

http://stumaddux.com/GEN_SILENT.html
I'm glad you posted this, altho tears in my morning kona wasn't what I had planned!

It looks as if it will be shown at the Charlotte Film Festival (who knew?) in September. I hope we can make plans to attend.

One woman in the trailer said it best: If not for them, we wouldn't be here!
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 06:44 AM   #3
shadows papa

How Do You Identify?:
With a Warning Label
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her Bastard
Relationship Status:
Peaceful Easy

Thanked 1,644 Times in 485 Posts
shadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

That is a great link Jess. Very thought provoking. The elders who came before us did so much to give us the right to live and be who we are with pride and dignity. If you can find any more information about the movement to advocate for their rights to be who they are without fear of reprisal as they make life decisions affecting their geriatric health care,please pass them on!This segment of our community is the walking history book of where we came from,where we are and where we headed. They have more than earned our support,respect and caring. Thanks, Shad
Old 08-25-2010, 07:07 AM   #4
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Can't agree more Shad! I used to always joke ( kinda) with friends about starting an " Old Dykes Home" and it was for some of the very reasons cited here.

Here is a list of some upcoming screenings. The dvd can be purchased as well as screenings for groups can be requested. I hope every LGBT person has the opportunity to see it.

http://stumaddux.com/gen_silent_screenings.html
Old 08-25-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Quote:
Originally Posted by christie0918 View Post
I'm glad you posted this, altho tears in my morning kona wasn't what I had planned!

It looks as if it will be shown at the Charlotte Film Festival (who knew?) in September. I hope we can make plans to attend.

One woman in the trailer said it best: If not for them, we wouldn't be here!

I absolutely agree with her sentiment. As we ourselves advance in age, we have to start looking at issues like this. Why you think I wanna sell house and do condo down the road? LOL

I would love for us to be able to go see it in C'ville ( actually, that film festival is pretty cool). We may have to buy it as well and pass it on to friends who aren't near screening areas.

Your ole codger loves you... ( that was a slight derail, my bad)
Old 08-25-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Here are a couple of links that may be helpful...

http://healthnewsdigest.com/news/Sen...ommunity.shtml

http://www.asaging.org/constituent_groups/lain/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #7
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you so much Jess for posting this. I work in the field of geriatrics, a population that is often overlooked in most circumstances anyway, especially those in nursing homes or other institutionalized care. Its so heartbreaking to think how hard someone in that age group had to fight to be who they are, only to feel the need to hide in their "golden years". At my job, there are quite a few out employees, and I would like to think that no elderly person who was gay would be treated any differently....however, in this case, its sometimes not the employees that are the problem. Its the fellow patients. These are people who grew up in that time...and most, if not all, have brought the prejudices of a lifetime with them. At my old job I heard of one female patient, who had died several years before I worked there, being ostracized by other patients because she was gay. The thought of that is so horrible....to outlive your friends, and either have no family...or family that puts you in a home and forgets about you...and then to be shunned by your "peers". What could be a worse way to spend your final years on this earth? I have heard of several "retirement communities" founded by, and for, the LGBT community....but what about the years after, when more care is required? What about when one can no longer live independantly? Its a sobering thought...and one that needs to be addressed. No one should have to spend the end of their life in hiding or in fear.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

Conference on LGBTQ aging coming up in November:

http://www.sageusa.org/index.cfm
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanks for the link Heart! I doubt we can make it there, but can and will keep up with their work! Very grateful for the info.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
Conference on LGBTQ aging coming up in November:

http://www.sageusa.org/index.cfm
Thank you for posting this link! I wish we could attend, but Jess was correct in that we can't - Bratboy's school schedule just won't allow for it!

SAGE is doing important work. As of late, issues with aging keep coming forefront - the film Hannah Free and now this one.

Maybe that ole dyke retirement home isn't such a bad idea!
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Wow what a wonderful, inspiring and thought provoking thread and link.

I worked for many years in the HIV/Aids floor and even though it has gotten better, the predjudice is of course still around. There were many nights I would sneak in partners into a patient's room because the family had forbid them to see a dying loved one. I am hoping as we age that there will be many in the medical field that will be gentle and kind to us all.

I agree with Always regarding the other patients and also the families and friends of a lot of "our" people being where the majority of a lot of the problems that our elderly face. I have a Certification in Geriatrics and I remember there was education to us nurses while taking this course regarding how to recognize and embrace different lifestyles into the dying process for the patient and family. I think it was brilliant to include that in our training and I was very proud. Of course, it was not enough training but it was at least mentioned.

It is never too early to get Living Wills and especially Medical Power of Attorney. Doctor's offices and office supply stores sell them. These are VERY important for planning and helping our partners deal with what could happen to any of us at any time.

Of course the obvious, IRAs, 401Ks and Pensions are also a great idea to have money so that the government won't be the ones in charge of us as we age.

If only life was fair and we were all given the same recognition and equality of a just, honorable and safe existance when we age. Education, communication, planning and hope is what will see us through.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
citybutch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to "hey you" (either works for me!)
Relationship Status:
19 years together- Very Married for 10 years

Thanked 1,196 Times in 355 Posts
citybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputationcitybutch Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks for posting Jess! I am passing this on...
citybutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to citybutch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #13
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

I'm really glad to see folks viewing this and passing info on. I truly believe that until we have equal rights across the board that we will continue to see the types of abuse, neglect and indifference in our elderly community. It is a very sobering thought to realize that after a lifetime of fighting to just "be", we could be treated so poorly when we are no longer able to care for ourselves.

This brings up a lot for me and I hope that whatever aspect of equality folks focus on ( Equal marriage/ DADT/ ENDA) that we do so with vigor. They may appear to be different causes to "straight" folks, but they are all tied inextricably to one another. It is my deepest prayer that as we make headway in each battle, the end of the war draws closer.

It is also my firm belief that until we are seen as equal in the eyes of the law, our other differences will remain as obstacles in our evolution as a community. This, I am sure, is the hope of every Evangelical group out there. Divide and conquer.

Thanks again for taking a minute to view the link!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2010, 06:51 AM   #14
shadows papa

How Do You Identify?:
With a Warning Label
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her Bastard
Relationship Status:
Peaceful Easy

shadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputationshadows papa Has the BEST Reputation

This thread is giving me lots of food for thought and may send me down a different career path to explore after school is finished. I am going to check with the Belcourt theatre in Nashville and see if a screening of GenSilent to Nashville. Have a GREAT weekend y'all!! Shad
Old 08-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #15
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows papa View Post
This thread is giving me lots of food for thought and may send me down a different career path to explore after school is finished. I am going to check with the Belcourt theatre in Nashville and see if a screening of GenSilent to Nashville. Have a GREAT weekend y'all!! Shad
Awesome shad! If they don't have one planned, perhaps contacting the Nash Pride group or another LGBT group there and arrange one!

Good luck! ( and wear yer helmet )
The Following User Says Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2010, 02:06 PM   #16
shadows papa

How Do You Identify?:
With a Warning Label
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her Bastard
Relationship Status:
Peaceful Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows papa View Post
Ok,my inner grammar teacher can't let the above post remain uncorrected! "I am going to check with the Belcourt theatre in Nashville and see if a screening of GenSilent can be arranged." Lawdy,I should know better than to post and talk to my Mama at the same time!! P.S. I will be wearing a helmet to ride today Elfbro!" Sorry for the derail!
Old 08-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #17
tiggs

How Do You Identify?:
femme submissive
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
married and collared to Converse

12 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 1

tiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputationtiggs Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks Jess for posting the link as others have said a very important subject and one we will all be faced with at some point in our lives.

Here is a link to a few GLBIT retirement homes, it's good to know there are already a few out there even if the options are limited.

http://www.gaylesbianretiring.org/lg...t-communities/]
Old 08-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #18
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Great link! Thanks tiggs!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:19 AM   #19
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Default Aging in the LGBT community: Growing older in a hostile environment

Article from June of this year from the San Diego Gay and Lesbian News. It mentions Harold and Clay, the older gay male couple who were separated despite POA and other documents. I would love to see a follow up of what happened with Clay after Harold's passing.

Good article with several resources...

http://www.sdgln.com/news/2010/06/24...le-environment
Old 08-28-2010, 01:51 AM   #20
femmebotdyke

How Do You Identify?:
femme dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Usually she/her but ze/hir or other gender neutral pronouns are also perfectly acceptable
Relationship Status:
Single (and trying to look nonchalant about it)

femmebotdyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmebotdyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmebotdyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmebotdyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmebotdyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmebotdyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmebotdyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmebotdyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmebotdyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmebotdyke Has the BEST Reputationfemmebotdyke Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you so much for this, Jess. SUCH an important issue.
femmebotdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to femmebotdyke For This Useful Post: