Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,662 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Ketchup anyone?

I have company coming and for the first time in my adult life, I had to buy ketchup. Standing in the condiment aisle, oogling all the choices, my mind wandered to why do they call it ketchup anyway?

So, I looked up ketchup and found some interesting stuff. There is a question at the end of this, so be patient.

Where did it come from?

Indonesian and Asian culture invented what we know today as ketchup. The spicy, pickled fish sauce made of anchovies, walnuts, mushrooms and kidney beans, dating back thousands of years was called ke-tsiap or kecap and was popular in 17th-century China. British seamen brought ke-tsiap home with them where the name was changed to catchup and then finally ketchup. It wasn't until the late 1700s though that canny New Englanders added tomatoes to the blend.

The big success came in 1872 when HJ Heinz added ketchup to his line of pickled products and introduced it at the Philadelphia fair. The Heinz formula has not changed since, and has become the standard by which other ketchups are rated.

Interesting Facts about Ketchup

-97% of American homes keep ketchup in their kitchen.

-Each person eats about 3 bottles a year.

-A tablespoon of ketchup has 16 calories and no fat.

-4 tablespoons of ketchup have the nutritional value of an entire ripe, medium tomato.

-In 1992, ketchup sales were $723 million.

-As with wines, there are good and bad ketchup years depending on how sweet and flavorful the tomato harvest.

-Most brands are made from tomato paste or tomato concentrate, boiled down in late summer when tomatoes are harvested, and used throughout the year to cook the final product.

-Ketchup made in summer is made directly from ripe tomatoes.

-Ketchup is great for restoring the glow to copper pots and pans. The acid in ketchup removes tarnish and brings out the shine.

"Fancy" ketchup

Some ketchup in the U.S. is labeled "Fancy". This is a USDA grade, relating to specific gravity. Fancy ketchup has a higher tomato solid concentration than other USDA grades.

Fancy 1.15 gravity 33% total solids
Extra Standard 1.13 gravity 29% total solids
Standard 1.11 gravity 25% total solids

Health Benefits

Ketchup has health benefits which are offset by the salt and sugar content. Ketchup is a source of lycopene, an antioxidant which may help prevent some forms of cancer. This is particularly true of the organic brands of ketchup, which have three times as much lycopene.[18] Ketchup, much like marinara sauce and other cooked tomato foods, yields higher levels of lycopene per serving because cooking makes lycopene in tomatoes more bio-available.

Viscosity

The ketchup gets stuck right? You have to turn it over and smack the bottom right? Thats because tomato ketchup is a pseudoplastic — or "shear thinning" substance — which can make it difficult to pour from a glass bottle.

Turning the bottle over and hitting it helps the ketchup flow by applying the correct shearing force. These techniques work because of how pseudoplastic fluids behave: their viscosity (resistance to flow) decreases with increasing shear rate. The faster the ketchup is sheared (by shaking or tapping the bottle), the more fluid it becomes. After the shear is removed the ketchup thickens to its original viscosity.

Secret Lives of Ketchup Lovers

If you want to learn the more about a person, look no further than how they pour their ketchup. From dippers and squirters, to sprinklers and smotherers, psychologist Donna Dawson has identified seven "sauciological" types.

Those who dunk into a well of ketchup are methodical and trustworthy. But they may also be control freaks who are afraid of change. Ambitious people splodge their sauce in the middle of their food. Creative types squirt and swirl their sauce in thin lines. But deep down they are impatient and do not tolerate fools or time wasting. Those who dot their ketchup are friendly, but live conservatively and dream of adventure holidays. Smotherers are the life and soul of the party, while artists who draw faces and words on their food have an easy-going approach to life. And gourmets who keep ketchup in a cruet appear charming, but deep down may be snobbish social charmers.

The Question

When I think of ketchup, I think what might be called traditional uses for it i.e. on burger, hot dogs, fries. But, others have used it in, what is to me, are unconventional ways. Nixon smothered his cottage cheese with it. The Japanese reportedly use it on rice. One ice cream maker reportedly once tried to make a ketchup ice cream. Others smother their eggs with it. My Mom uses equal amounts of tartar sauce and ketchup on fish and chips.

So how do you use this popular, multifaceted condiment? Are you a traditionalist or a trailblazer, adventurous type of condiment person?

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,872 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I have a question:

How many Heinz people versus Hunts people do we have?

Medusa
HEINZ-girl, all the way!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Hardcore bullheaded grown-ass Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Location: The backroom of a night cafe plotting world domination
Thanked 3,299 Times in 568 Posts
Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

I love toast and ketchup sandwiches! But I think the strangest thing I enjoy it on is canned corn (because I don't like canned corn) xD. Not all that weird but on the "normal" ketchup items I tend to douse stuff in it... grilled cheeses especially end up with wayyyyy more ketchup than cheese- in cases like those I'm a dunker...

Jett
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Jett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST ReputationJett Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
I have a question:

Medusa
HEINZ-girl, all the way!
Heinz... way better!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Bleu

How Do You Identify?:
Bleu

Thanked 2,700 Times in 733 Posts
Bleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST ReputationBleu Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

I have company coming and for the first time in my adult life <---- a company virgin? How long are they staying? Purpose of vist? I find THIS part intruiging! (and I'm a nosey little fucker, aren't I?)

When I think of ketchup, I think what might be called traditional uses for it i.e. on burger, hot dogs, fries. But, others have used it in, what is to me, are unconventional ways. Nixon smothered his cottage cheese with it. The Japanese reportedly use it on rice. One ice cream maker reportedly once tried to make a ketchup ice cream. Others smother their eggs with it. My Mom uses equal amounts of tartar sauce and ketchup on fish and chips.

So how do you use this popular, multifaceted condiment? Are you a traditionalist or a trailblazer, adventurous type of condiment person?

I don't have many uses for ketchup and my only standard use for it is on super hot, crispy french fries.

I do, however make my own cocktail sauce by mixing massive amounts of refrigerated horseradish with HEINZ brand. Hot is guud!
~Bleu
Bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bleu For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
GreeneyedMe

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Sweet Femme ones
Relationship Status:
Peeking around the corner...

Thanked 4,375 Times in 804 Posts
GreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh....Ketchup!!! Mostly used in the traditional ways here...

Heinz by far is the best!

Dunk...grilled cheese for sure...smother.... tater tots....fries....pretty much anything that is bad for me.

What I don't like is when it's mixed into baked beans.....yuck!

Oh, and please don't get it near my eggs....ever.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #7
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,691 Times in 7,717 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Great thread, Kobi!
HEINZ..the ONLY ketchup for me.
How do I use it? Welll being that suthern' gal I am....I LOVE to mix mayo & ketchup and dip my tater tots , hush puppies OR hot, crispy FF's in it.
I like it only on a BK Whopper...and I NEVER put it on my home cooked burgers OR hotdogs..nope nope.....mayo for me..and ONLY Duke's mayo at that!!!
Old 07-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #8
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,763 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

The Question

I'm pretty traditional in my usage of ketchup. I dip my fries in it and put it on hot dogs and burgers. Probably the most radical use for it is to dip my mac 'n cheese in it. But only the boxed mixes; not homemade mac 'n cheese.

How I use it....dipping versus lines, etc...depends on what it is that I am pairing with the ketchup. Burgers get dots or or smiley faces. Hot dogs get dots or dashes. Fries get dipped into it otherwise the fries get soggy and I can't stand a soggy fry. Now, the dipping technique may also differ. If there are portion control cups available and I'm at a restaurant, I'll use those. If not, I'll pool the ketchup in a puddle to the side of my food. The ketchup and the food really shouldn't touch. It's that soggy, non-consensual flavoring thing again.

Quote:
I have a question:

Medusa
HEINZ-girl, all the way!
There are other brands other than Heinz?

<----Pro Heinz girl.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #9
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Interesting Facts about Ketchup

-97% of American homes keep ketchup in their kitchen.

-Each person eats about 3 bottles a year.
No ketchup in my home. With my bloodhound nose (I can smell ants, ffs), even eating with a dining companion who is slathering her/his fries in ketchup is an unpleasant experience.

So who on this site is eating 6 bottles a year? I figure someone here is eating my share.

Malcolm Gladwell wrote an article called The Ketchup Conundrum that explains why (despite countless efforts to tweak it, improve it, add variety), the original ketchup recipe remains essentially unchanged. It's a great article. I guess I like reading about ketchup way more than eating it.
Old 07-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,662 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JD View Post
No ketchup in my home. With my bloodhound nose (I can smell ants, ffs), even eating with a dining companion who is slathering her/his fries in ketchup is an unpleasant experience.

So who on this site is eating 6 bottles a year? I figure someone here is eating my share.

Malcolm Gladwell wrote an article called The Ketchup Conundrum that explains why (despite countless efforts to tweak it, improve it, add variety), the original ketchup recipe remains essentially unchanged. It's a great article. I guess I like reading about ketchup way more than eating it.

I'm with you on this one. I dont use ketchup at all, so I never bought it. So, someone on this site is eating 9 bottles a year. LOL.

I tend to use mayo on everything, including dipping fries in it. Hellmans only.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
skeeter_01

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey you!
Relationship Status:
Sleeping single in a double bed..

skeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputation

HEINZ all the way!! On burgers I'm a yellow mustard and mayo fan, on hotdogs (LOVE a grilled hot dog!!) I like yellow mustard and chopped onions...I use ketchup very seldom (mostly for fries and every now and then, I like to dip fried chicken in ketchup) but when I need it....I just GOT'S to have it!!

Texting while driving is a real KILLER!!!

‎"It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together...but it takes only one nut to scatter them all over the highway..."
Jeff PARAMEDIC
skeeter_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skeeter_01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #12
GreeneyedMe

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Sweet Femme ones
Relationship Status:
Peeking around the corner...

Thanked 4,375 Times in 804 Posts
GreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST ReputationGreeneyedMe Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:

So, someone on this site is eating 9 bottles a year. LOL.

I use a lot of it, but I know it isn't 9 bottles a year!!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #13
KayCee

How Do You Identify?:
Multifaceted Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
It's a secret
Relationship Status:
And from my lips hye drew the hallelujah

Thanked 1,725 Times in 521 Posts
KayCee Has the BEST ReputationKayCee Has the BEST ReputationKayCee Has the BEST ReputationKayCee Has the BEST ReputationKayCee Has the BEST ReputationKayCee Has the BEST ReputationKayCee Has the BEST ReputationKayCee Has the BEST ReputationKayCee Has the BEST ReputationKayCee Has the BEST ReputationKayCee Has the BEST Reputation

ketchup <---- way too much sugar in it!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
stonewalldog

How Do You Identify?:
All-American Dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
married

stonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputationstonewalldog Has the BEST Reputation

I was born in Pittsburgh, Penn...(perhaps you have heard of our football team) so I am definitely a fan of Heinz! Although they make the Hunts in Oakdale CA which is not far from my current home.
stonewalldog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stonewalldog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
Beloved

How Do You Identify?:
alive
Preferred Pronoun?:
um
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 1,653 Times in 298 Posts
Beloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

HEINZ, of course!

This thread is giving me a craving for onion rings. It's my favorite food to have with ketchup.

I have a weird relationship with ketchup. I can stand the smell of ketchup around other certain smells, like cigarettes (I hate the way they smell anyway but the mix of the 2 is puke-worthy) and other foods.

I also think it is disgusting to put ketchup on eggs, tuna salad, and hotdogs. I am vegetarian so I don't eat those things but the thought is YUCK!
Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beloved For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #16
Babyangeleyez

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Babyangeleyez Has the BEST ReputationBabyangeleyez Has the BEST ReputationBabyangeleyez Has the BEST ReputationBabyangeleyez Has the BEST ReputationBabyangeleyez Has the BEST ReputationBabyangeleyez Has the BEST ReputationBabyangeleyez Has the BEST ReputationBabyangeleyez Has the BEST ReputationBabyangeleyez Has the BEST ReputationBabyangeleyez Has the BEST ReputationBabyangeleyez Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I have a question:

Medusa
HEINZ-girl, all the way!

HEINZ girl here too. I do not care for Hunts.
Babyangeleyez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Babyangeleyez For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 10:43 AM   #17
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,972 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Cool

well, i'll rock da boat and admit i'm a hunts ketchup boi. i find it's not as sweet as heinz. mo' tomatoey, lol.

i like a bit o' horseradish dip (ketchup & lots o' horseradish) wit' me hard boiled eggs, hotdawgs & scrambled eggs...
Old 07-15-2012, 11:19 AM   #18
Jett

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
she loves my shaggy hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by claybaby View Post
Great thread, Kobi!
HEINZ..the ONLY ketchup for me.
How do I use it? Welll being that suthern' gal I am....I LOVE to mix mayo & ketchup and dip my tater tots , hush puppies OR hot, crispy FF's in it.
I like it only on a BK Whopper...and I NEVER put it on my home cooked burgers OR hotdogs..nope nope.....mayo for me..and ONLY Duke's mayo at that!!!
I was always pretty sure that was McDonalds "special sauce" on the Big Mac... lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jett For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #19
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Ol Butch Bones
Preferred Pronoun?:
Old Thing
Relationship Status:
Too old to play.

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

I am a Heinz fan, but boy, was I surprised when the Family Dollar Gormet tasted as good, and saved me a couple of bucks
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
CeriseNin

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
a dragon's damsel

CeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST ReputationCeriseNin Has the BEST Reputation

Mmmm, ketchup. My favourite is the store brand. I will put ketchup on just about anything. Fries, tempura, onions rings, mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, eggs - starting to feel like a scene from Forrest Gump - ketchup gumbo...
CeriseNin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CeriseNin For This Useful Post: