Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 04-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation
Default Famous/Highly Visible Queers

I am working on a historical referencing project and wanted to ask you all for help...and besides, this will be fun

I would love to compile a biggo thread full of info about Queers who are famous/highly visible. Our heroes, actresses, singers, artists, etc.

Beyond that, we can discuss how the visibility and fame of these Queers has impacted the world around us. Did they invent something awesome? Did their song make it to #1? Were they controversial? How have they shaped the media experience? How have they been shaped by the media?

Let's talk!

Please include a link to a pic!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Default Me'Shell NdegeOcello

Me'Shell NdegeOcello (born August 29, 1968) is an American singer-songwriter, rapper, bassist, and multi-instrumentalist. Her music incorporates funk, soul, hip hop, reggae, R&B, rock, and jazz. She has received significant critical acclaim throughout her career,[1][2] and has had ten career Grammy Award nominations.[3] She is often credited for having "sparked the neo-soul movement."[4]
(from wikipedia)

The first time I ever saw her was in a video for "Wild Night" with John Cougar Melencamp. I hadnt even heard the song until I saw that video and fell in love with her energy. She is an AMAZING musician (and fine as hell).
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Toshi Reagon:

born in Atlanta in 1964) is an American folk/blues musician. She is the daughter of Sweet Honey in the Rock co-founder Bernice Johnson Reagon, with whom she has sometimes collaborated on musical projects and of Cordell Hull Reagon, a leader of the civil rights movement in Albany, member of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), and co-founder of The Freedom Singers. She is also the goddaughter of folk singer, Pete Seeger and named after his wife, Toshi Seeger.
Reagon began performing when she dropped out of college; soon afterward, Lenny Kravitz invited her to open for him on his first world tour. She has since shared the stage with performers ranging from Ani Difranco to Elvis Costello.
Her band, BIGLovely, has been performing together since September 1996. The name allegedly comes from a love-letter she received from her girlfriend, which was addressed "To My BIGLovely." The band includes Judith Casselberry on acoustic guitar and vocals, Robert "Chicken" Burke on drums, Fred Cass, Jr. on bass, Adam Widoff on electric guitar, and Catherine Russell on mandolin and vocals. The line-up also includes Jen Leigh, Ann Klein, Debbie Robinson, Alison Miller, Kismet Lyles and Stephanie McKay as replacements.
Reagon lives in Brooklyn, New York with her partner and her daughter.[1]

(from Wiki)

I am a huge blues fan and she is one of my favs.
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christie0918 View Post
Toshi Reagon:

born in Atlanta in 1964) is an American folk/blues musician. She is the daughter of Sweet Honey in the Rock co-founder Bernice Johnson Reagon, with whom she has sometimes collaborated on musical projects and of Cordell Hull Reagon, a leader of the civil rights movement in Albany, member of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC), and co-founder of The Freedom Singers. She is also the goddaughter of folk singer, Pete Seeger and named after his wife, Toshi Seeger.
Reagon began performing when she dropped out of college; soon afterward, Lenny Kravitz invited her to open for him on his first world tour. She has since shared the stage with performers ranging from Ani Difranco to Elvis Costello.
Her band, BIGLovely, has been performing together since September 1996. The name allegedly comes from a love-letter she received from her girlfriend, which was addressed "To My BIGLovely." The band includes Judith Casselberry on acoustic guitar and vocals, Robert "Chicken" Burke on drums, Fred Cass, Jr. on bass, Adam Widoff on electric guitar, and Catherine Russell on mandolin and vocals. The line-up also includes Jen Leigh, Ann Klein, Debbie Robinson, Alison Miller, Kismet Lyles and Stephanie McKay as replacements.
Reagon lives in Brooklyn, New York with her partner and her daughter.[1]

(from Wiki)

I am a huge blues fan and she is one of my favs.

AWESOME! Can you believe I had NO idea she was Queer?!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Pretty interesting compilation from wiki :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...xual_people:_A

Great thread idea!... Then we have those famous folks we all know are LGBT but still haven't come out yet... ( that's a fairly long list too! )
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Anyone care to reminisce on this? I remember the first time I saw it - it was like:

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

And Jenny Shimizu!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Default Pussy Manifesto!

Who didn't love them some B & A

Bitch and Animal, a duo consisting of musicians Bitch and Animal Prufrock, were a queercore band that performed from 1995 to 2004. Bitch and Animal have kept their birth names out of publication for both political and artistic reasons. They became established while touring as an opening act for Ani DiFranco, and later launched their own highly successful tours.

Their first album, What's That Smell, was self-produced and featured some of their best-known songs, such as Drag King Bar and (on a hidden track) Pussy Manifesto. Their next two albums were released on Righteous Babe. Eternally Hard, released in 2001, was co-produced by Ani DiFranco and Wayne Schrengohst. Their last album, Sour Juice and Rhyme was produced in collaboration with June Millington of the groundbreaking 1970s all-women band Fanny.

and of course

Rachel Maddow

Rachel Anne Maddow (pronounced /ˈmdoʊ/; born April 1, 1973) is an American radio personality, television host, and political commentator.[1][2] Her syndicated talk radio program, The Rachel Maddow Show, aired on Air America Radio. Maddow hosts a nightly television show, The Rachel Maddow Show, on MSNBC.[3] She was also a guest host of Countdown with Keith Olbermann and Race for the White House. Maddow is the first openly gay anchor to be hired to host a prime-time news program in the United States.[4][5][6][7]

**Information from Wikipedia**
"If youre going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. Its all about turning back into an animal and thats the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldnt do. If youre going to be gross then go for it and dont wimp out."---Master Aiden

Last edited by The_Lady_Snow; 04-09-2010 at 01:41 PM.
The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

And Sandra Valls from Latin Divas of Comedy!!!!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post
Who didn't love them some B & A

YESSSSS!!!

Now isnt "Bitch" dating Daniella Sea from the "L" word???? I seem to remember someone talking about that...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:

The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
YESSSSS!!!

Now isnt "Bitch" dating Daniella Sea from the "L" word???? I seem to remember someone talking about that...
Oh yes....

"If youre going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. Its all about turning back into an animal and thats the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldnt do. If youre going to be gross then go for it and dont wimp out."---Master Aiden

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 01:46 PM   #12
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

Ok, I just recently - like a few days ago - discovered a new Spanish artist who I am madly in love with now!!! And I'm not just talking about her art, etc., I mean like I AM IN LOVE/LUST!!!

Seriously, I am obsessing about this butch day and night now. Can we talk about this? How does one deal with these obsessions? For Pete's sake I am a mature (really mature!! lol) woman, and I'm seriously thinking of moving to Spain to be near her, and follow her around like some dumb-ass groupie!!!

Her name is Mayte Martin (pronounced 'Myteh'). She is a Spanish Flamenquista singer, not dancer, who also sings the classic boleros of my mom's time. Other then having this angelic voice, she is the best looking butch I have ever seen - bar none!!! So what's a girl to do???? Also, she is very OPEN about her homosexuality, and talks about it online...I believe she is an activist as well.

I'm looking for a pic of her to post, but am afraid you'll all be drooling too!!!

Ok, carry on...
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #13
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
Ok, I just recently - like a few days ago - discovered a new Spanish artist who I am madly in love with now!!! And I'm not just talking about her art, etc., I mean like I AM IN LOVE/LUST!!!

Seriously, I am obsessing about this butch day and night now. Can we talk about this? How does one deal with these obsessions? For Pete's sake I am a mature (really mature!! lol) woman, and I'm seriously thinking of moving to Spain to be near her, and follow her around like some dumb-ass groupie!!!

Her name is Mayte Martin (pronounced 'Myteh'). She is a Spanish Flamenquista singer, not dancer, who also sings the classic boleros of my mom's time. Other then having this angelic voice, she is the best looking butch I have ever seen - bar none!!! So what's a girl to do????

I'm looking for a pic of her to post, but am afraid you'll all be drooling too!!!

Ok, carry on...

I am not the obsessed kind of admirer of people... So I dunno? Maybe someone else can help ya on that?

Wait there was the Pinnochio incident once at Disney........... I may have been a lil stalkerish but dunno if you can count Pinnochio as a real live type of thing..

Last edited by The_Lady_Snow; 04-09-2010 at 01:53 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

It was prob the nose that gotcha, lol.

I'm not the 'obsessive' type either...but there's just something about Mayte that makes me tingle all over...thanks for posting her pic. Got her on my desktop now - 1st thing I see when I turn on the 'puter, and when I turn it off...is it too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lady_Snow View Post

I am not the obsessed kind of admirer of people... So I dunno? Maybe someone else can help ya on that?

Wait there was the Pinnochio incident once at Disney........... I may have been a lil stalkerish but dunno if you can count Pinnochio as a real live type of thing..

Old 04-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #15
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation

If it wasn't for apretty I'd probably be desperately seeking Sandra and be one of those weird stalker groupies. I've seen her in concert about five times. The last time was in San Francisco. We were practically ten feet from her!
She's political, fierce, daring, intelligent, oozes sexual energy and I find her so sexy. Sandra Bernhard is just like the gal I love and live with!
Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Queerasfck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #16
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,559 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

weatherboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to weatherboi For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 02:13 PM   #17
Daywalker

How Do You Identify?:
Hippy

Thanked 11,917 Times in 2,700 Posts
Daywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST ReputationDaywalker Has the BEST Reputation

Weatherboi stole mine.

I plan to be Famous one day,
why not just post a Paparazzi pic of myself?

Ok...ok...I'll be back later to actually 'participate' in this Grand idea.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
UofMfan
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
A very happy Mr. Grumpy Cat

Thanked 18,942 Times in 4,709 Posts
UofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST ReputationUofMfan Has the BEST Reputation

Cynthia Nixon.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0633223/
UofMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UofMfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #19
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

'My' Mayte...in all her glory *sigh*.
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULCGn85HdCQ&feature=related"]YouTube- MAYTE MARTÍN - Ten cuidao![/nomedia]
The Following User Says Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #20
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

I know there are more, but I mainly based this on musicians/authors/philosophers/politician etc. that I really like or I feel have done something really important.

Rob Halford
As a diehard metalhead, I figured Id start with this one. For those who dont know, Rob Halford is the singer of Judas Priest with one of the most widely hailed voices in metal. Besides being the frontman of one of the worlds most well-known heavy metal bands (not to mention one of metals founding bands along with Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden), he was also largely responsible for bringing the leather culture into heavy metal (straight from the gay scene, though he didnt come out as gay to his fans until 1998).

Clive Barker
Is a well-known English author. For those of you familiar with the horror film Hellraiser, it is based on his novella, Hellbound Heart. His books often feature homosexual/queer characters, which has done nothing to diminish his popularity among horror fans worldwide, that's for sure. His books have been translated into a number of different languages.

Timothy Findley
A famous Canadian author. His most well-known work is called The Wars (Governor Generals Award in 1977, the year of its publication), which is widely considered to be a Canadian classic.

Roland Barthes
An extremely influential 20th century French philosopher/critical theorist primarily concerned with structuralism and semiotics. Its unlikely that youll ever take a 20th century critical theory or philosophy course that doesnt mention him.

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
Aka Peter Tchaikovsky, aka Tchaikovsky Think Nutcracker and Swan Lake.

Jean Jacques Rgis de Cambacrs
French lawyer who wrote the Napoleonic Code upon which French law is founded.

Jhanna Siguradttir
First female Icelandic Prime Minister and first openly homosexual prime minister/president/head of government in the world.

Marcel Proust
Probably dont need to say anything about this one either. Famous French author, most known for la recherche du temps perdu (aka In Search of Lost Time).

Leonardo DaVinci
Do I need to say anything at all

Ralph Waldo Emerson
A famous American transcendentalist and one of my favourite philosophers. He was bisexual, but I assume that counts.

Except for Emerson, all the other individuals I mentioned above were/are either gay or lesbian. Some other famous bisexuals who people dont often recognise as such: Hans Christian Anderson and Michel Foucault (actually, if you look at many 20th century critical theorists, youll find many gay/lesbian and bisexual individuals like Judith Butler, Simone de Beauvoir and the aforementioned Roland Barthes).
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post: