Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Support: Abuse, Addiction, Coping

Old 06-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Lower Dentures - one of the joys of aging

I am looking to talk with people who have a full lower denture.

I keep hearing horror stories on how difficult it is to keep lowers in place and stuff. And then I hear of people who have had no problem at all.

The dentist has this thing about anchor teeth and an attachment full lower which equates to thousands and significant pain for a number of months while everything is prepared.

I have an alternative idea which he is discouraging.

So, I am looking for anyone who might have gone thru the process for a lower only denture and what their experience has been. I need to hear from people who have actually gone thru it themselves and what their own experiences have been - both good and bad.

Have heard about many peoples mothers, brothers, fathers, second cousin three times removed experience. This doesnt help. I need to talk to people who have gone thru this themselves.

Anyone?

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

I'll bite. I had lower dentures made twice. The first time, they were loose. So they relined them twice. I still did'nt like it. Then they started talking about pads and powders and glues, when all they had to do was make another new mold that fit right.. which costs mo money. Of course they want to be paid up front first again, and charge you for additional extras like anchors bla bla.. when all they had to do was get the first mold snug to begin with. Finially after paying for two molds...the fit is snug and they don't move. You can also get soft dentures with a pad put in...Grrrrr... Tell the a*******e you are not paying anything in full or anchors or any other bs until you get a snug fit the first time. Now I don't need any anchors or any of that cause their a snug fit capezi? Get another dental lab asap!
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I had lower dentures made twice. The first time, they were loose. So they relined them twice. I still did'nt like it. Then they started talking about pads and powders and glues, when all they had to do was make another new mold that fit right.. which costs mo money. Of course they want to be paid up front first again, and charge you for additional extras like anchors bla bla.. when all they had to do was get the first mold snug to begin with. Finially after paying for two molds...the fit is snug and they don't move. You can also get soft dentures with a pad put in...Blech! Tell the a*******e you are not paying anything in full or anchors or any other bs until you get a snug fit the first time.

Thanks Glenn. So it sounds like you didnt have a problem with them staying in as long as you had a snug fit right?

The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

No ploblem Paisan
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
her poison apple
Preferred Pronoun?:
b. grrl
Relationship Status:
her favorite snack

Thanked 21,373 Times in 6,723 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I don't have this issue but I was in dentistry in my distant past. Lowers are notorious for requiring a rilly excellent denturist..and it's a crap shoot to find a dentist who cares enough to find the very best..i also think it has to do with what part of the country you live in..the west coast seems to have very good technical artists and everywhere else not so much..have an agreement with your dentist before any work is begun (including the extraction of any remaining teeth) that he (the dentist) will make sure it fits well (in writing)..and ask to speak with a few other clients who are happy with his/her work. Don't take for granted that just because you are happy with some of his other work that he is also good at making an impression and has an excellent technician to make the denture. It's ok, to be picky!
kittygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2012, 03:00 AM   #6
Beloved

How Do You Identify?:
alive
Preferred Pronoun?:
um
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 1,653 Times in 298 Posts
Beloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I also work in the dental field and I have to chime in.

It's not always as simplistic as getting a good impression for a snug fit. Much of it also has to do on the anatomy of the patient's mouth. The more of a ridge that you have the better the chances you will not need anchors or glue. Other factors could include mandibular tori, the depth of the floor of the mouth, how long you have been missing some or all of your teeth, etc. It's not always the dentist fault if they move, but it can be.

Good luck. I hope you don't have any issues.
Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beloved For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2012, 04:45 AM   #7
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beloved View Post
I also work in the dental field and I have to chime in.

It's not always as simplistic as getting a good impression for a snug fit. Much of it also has to do on the anatomy of the patient's mouth. The more of a ridge that you have the better the chances you will not need anchors or glue. Other factors could include mandibular tori, the depth of the floor of the mouth, how long you have been missing some or all of your teeth, etc. It's not always the dentist fault if they move, but it can be.

Good luck. I hope you don't have any issues.

This is interesting and kind of what I am curious about. I have consulted 3 different dental people, including a prosthodontist. All have the same mantra about needing anchors tho some are save these teeth to be the anchor at the modest cost of thousands of dollars, another advocated an implant except I am a smoker and that drops the success rate that the implant will bond to the bone properly.

I am the type who needs to understand why one thing is recommended over another. And, I tend to ask very pointed questions to help me understand amongst all the choices, why this over another. And, silly me, expects an answer that makes sense to me.

I have yet to find anyone who is saying anything specific to the anatomy of my particular mouth and how this affects what they are recommending. I am hearing what to me is a mantra of dental theory rather than person specific treatment plan.

Have worked in health care to know there is a distinct difference between the two.

I am also bothered by having the plan process changing as we go which is just a function of finding things they are not expecting. It happens but it is tiring to hear.... for this to work now we have to do crowning lengthening and stinting and this and that. All I end up hearing is a cash register and pain and a prolonged time frame.

I also dont understand how you can make an accurate impression when the impressions are including teeth that wont be there in the end. Seriously, how can that be accurate? That isnt logical to me. Can you shed some light on this?

Old 06-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #8
Beloved

How Do You Identify?:
alive
Preferred Pronoun?:
um
Relationship Status:
married

Beloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Making the denture before teeth are extracted is called an immediate denture. It will most likely have to be adjusted a few times as the gums and bone heal. The best way, if you don't mind going without teeth for while, is to remove the teeth and then wait 6 months or more until you have fully healed before making the denture. A lot of people are not willing to do that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beloved For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #9
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Quote:
Making the denture before teeth are extracted is called an immediate denture. It will most likely have to be adjusted a few times as the gums and bone heal. The best way, if you don't mind going without teeth for while, is to remove the teeth and then wait 6 months or more until you have fully healed before making the denture. A lot of people are not willing to do that.

Ok this makes sense to me. They are calling it a healing denture and give me all kinds of benefits for it but when I press them, they admit it is just a vanity thing.

I am intrigued by your info on patient specific anatomy and how this affects or could/should affect treatment recommendations. Is there something(s) I should be asking them so I can feel certain that anchors are the best option for my mouth rather than just their preference?

Old 06-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Beloved

How Do You Identify?:
alive
Preferred Pronoun?:
um
Relationship Status:
married

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

Ok this makes sense to me. They are calling it a healing denture and give me all kinds of benefits for it but when I press them, they admit it is just a vanity thing.

I am intrigued by your info on patient specific anatomy and how this affects or could/should affect treatment recommendations. Is there something(s) I should be asking them so I can feel certain that anchors are the best option for my mouth rather than just their preference?

You could just ask why they feel anchors are best for you. Generally speaking most people are better off with teeth to anchor the denture to because it won't move as much. Are they thinking of removing all of your teeth and putting in mini implants to anchor the denture to? If you go with option it is really the best. If it were me I would probably do it that way.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Quote:
You could just ask why they feel anchors are best for you. Generally speaking most people are better off with teeth to anchor the denture to because it won't move as much. Are they thinking of removing all of your teeth and putting in mini implants to anchor the denture to? If you go with option it is really the best. If it were me I would probably do it that way.

They want to use my teeth as anchors requiring them to do extensive work on two to be able to use them. No guarantee it will work tho and will be costly.

None of the people I consulted will use mini implants. Say they arent stable enough. Want to use the regular implants if the above wont work.

My idea was different based on something a family member did. They kept a couple of teeth, had them ground down a bit, and had the denture made to fit over those teeth.....not an over denture as dentists conceive of such. No anchoring devices involved. No extensive and expensive prep work. Just a solid full denture which slipped over the 2 or 3 teeth she kept. Insists those teeth and some poligrip stuff kept the denture in place just fine. She, of course, had to work directly with the lab to get what she wanted.

Hard as I have tried, have been unable to get this concept across to the people I consulted. They seem hellbent on using all the new technology and stuff. And have, what seems like, excuse after excuse for why their ultra expensive and sadistic approach is the best as opposed to a lower cost, less intrusive approach.

They dont like when you question their rationale either I noticed.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
Beloved

How Do You Identify?:
alive
Preferred Pronoun?:
um
Relationship Status:
married

Member Photo Albums

I haven't seen ground down teeth with a denture that fits on top. It's very likely that is a technique that isn't widely used and could possibly be problematic. I can see why a dentist who isn't familiar with that or for whatever reason doesn't see it as a good idea reject doing it. And just because it works well for one person doesn't mean it will work well in all situations, KWIM? Regular implants aren't any worse than minis. I am more used to seeing minis with dentures but it doesn't mean the regular ones are wrong. Dentistry, especially prosthetics, can vary on what is best for the particular patient given the circumstances. And there are never any guarantees when you alter someone's body. There are a lot of variables to take into consideration and different people may come up with different treatment plans for similar work.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #13
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
her poison apple
Preferred Pronoun?:
b. grrl
Relationship Status:
her favorite snack

Thanked 21,373 Times in 6,723 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

This is interesting and kind of what I am curious about. I have consulted 3 different dental people, including a prosthodontist. All have the same mantra about needing anchors tho some are save these teeth to be the anchor at the modest cost of thousands of dollars, another advocated an implant except I am a smoker and that drops the success rate that the implant will bond to the bone properly.

I am the type who needs to understand why one thing is recommended over another. And, I tend to ask very pointed questions to help me understand amongst all the choices, why this over another. And, silly me, expects an answer that makes sense to me.

I have yet to find anyone who is saying anything specific to the anatomy of my particular mouth and how this affects what they are recommending. I am hearing what to me is a mantra of dental theory rather than person specific treatment plan.

Have worked in health care to know there is a distinct difference between the two.

I am also bothered by having the plan process changing as we go which is just a function of finding things they are not expecting. It happens but it is tiring to hear.... for this to work now we have to do crowning lengthening and stinting and this and that. All I end up hearing is a cash register and pain and a prolonged time frame.

I also dont understand how you can make an accurate impression when the impressions are including teeth that wont be there in the end. Seriously, how can that be accurate? That isnt logical to me. Can you shed some light on this?

I worked for an oral surgeon years ago and they (anchors) didn't seem very successful then and i don't believe they've made impressive progress since. It was a very expensive procedure 10 years ago about 40k for upper & lower and almost every patient had difficulty adjusting.. if i had to choose id rather take the less invasive procedure...just sayin
kittygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kittygrrl For This Useful Post: