Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 04-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #21
Electrocell

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/hy

Thanked 2,769 Times in 983 Posts
Electrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaea View Post
I have not yet....i thought about this when i woke up.
Would be interesting to find out.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #22
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrocell View Post
Would be interesting to find out.
my research so far has not pulled up anything for a wedding that may have occurred on the ship..it has however pulled up various other things.

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #23
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

What many people don't realize is that the Titanic was meant to be one of three superliners going back and forth across the Atlantic. The White Star Line looked at the rivalry with the Cunard Line (Lusitania and Mauretania), and decided not to go for speed but for luxury-and the ships were supposed to be the last word in that, even in third class.

Olympic was finished first and had a long career, only ending in 1935. Britannic was finished with new safety features after the Titanic sank, but became a hospital ship and hit a mine off of Greece in 1914.

White Star Line was never quite the same; WWI and the Depression after that cut down on profits in the long run, as well as not so many immigrants, the real "bread and butter" of the line. I believe most of the great liners (Mauretania among them) were done by the mid 1930's.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #24
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by guihong View Post
I believe most of the great liners (Mauretania among them) were done by the mid 1930's.
Yes, it was. However, a successor, also called Mauretania, was constructed and continued to sail on transatlantic voyages for a number of decades. I met a number of people who sailed on the Mauretania in 1949 - they were members of the Belfast Celtic soccer team who toured the United States and Canada that summer.

A number of years ago, I obtained many of the personal artefacts of a famous European soccer star. Included amongst these artefacts were a number of itineraries, dinner menus and certificates for a number of transatlantic cruises in the 1940s and 1950s. It was interesting to note that passengers received certificates when completing some of these voyages .... It really does bring home the different era and how travelling long journeys on the seas must have been a real adventure and experience.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ciaran For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #25
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
Yes, it was. However, a successor, also called Mauretania, was constructed and continued to sail on transatlantic voyages for a number of decades. I met a number of people who sailed on the Mauretania in 1949 - they were members of the Belfast Celtic soccer team who toured the United States and Canada that summer.

A number of years ago, I obtained many of the personal artefacts of a famous European soccer star. Included amongst these artefacts were a number of itineraries, dinner menus and certificates for a number of transatlantic cruises in the 1940s and 1950s. It was interesting to note that passengers received certificates when completing some of these voyages .... It really does bring home the different era and how travelling long journeys on the seas must have been a real adventure and experience.
Yes, if you could afford even a second-class ticket on one of those ships, how much fun that would have been compared to being sealed in a tube and shot across by air. It would have been different than the cruise ships of today, which are giant parties on water.

But then again, maybe the passengers of the Titanic's time didn't find it "fun", especially in third class. And I would not want to live 24/7 back then. I don't know how to say what I mean very well..but just to sit on the furnishings, or have a cup of tea on the deck . It's a lost experience.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #26
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation

I have never been in a cruise ship however when I think about being on one my thoughts are often times that of me sitting on the deck with a book feeling the air and having the scent of the ocean all around me.

I often wonder why there aren't more stories of the engineers the employees the maids waiters waitresses etc. where are all their stories ? it's really hard web I see how the second and third class passengers were forced to be locked down below ...I don't understand classism now and I probably never will.

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #27
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

there is that somethig beautiful about the titanic.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #28
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
there is that something beautiful about the titanic.
I agree gaea. I have long loved the "Titanic" movies and attractions. There is one such attraction close to where i live, which is in Pigeon Forge. It was pretty cool with a lot of the memorabilia from the ship and the entire building is a replication of the bow of the Titanic and it even has the massive staircase and the clock at the top. There is an area that you can touch the water and feel how cold it was that night that it sank.

However, lately, i have had some different feelings as well. I have watched some of the documentaries on it and actually anything that i find i want to see it. The different feelings i have had of late, is of deep sadness.

The lives lost, the tormented third class passengers locked below and drowned just because of their class, as well as some higher class folks.

I guess it's really all of these things to me...

Grand
Beautiful
Mysterious
and of late...Very Sad.

All in all it is quite the ship and quite the story.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #29
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbelle View Post
I agree gaea. I have long loved the "Titanic" movies and attractions. There is one such attraction close to where i live, which is in Pigeon Forge. It was pretty cool with a lot of the memorabilia from the ship and the entire building is a replication of the bow of the Titanic and it even has the massive staircase and the clock at the top. There is an area that you can touch the water and feel how cold it was that night that it sank.

However, lately, i have had some different feelings as well. I have watched some of the documentaries on it and actually anything that i find i want to see it. The different feelings i have had of late, is of deep sadness.

The lives lost, the tormented third class passengers locked below and drowned just because of their class, as well as some higher class folks.

I guess it's really all of these things to me...

Grand
Beautiful
Mysterious
and of late...Very Sad.

All in all it is quite the ship and quite the story.
It is, maybe ill get to pigeon forge too. What was your experinace like when you wen there?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #30
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

Wow Gaea my 8yr old neice has a strange obsession with it too. She kind of wore me out this weekend with it. We had to watch 2 movies that were airing on tv yesterday and I bought her a book at the mall when we were out yesterday, about the titanic. She just had to have it.
She has a strange obsession with Will Rogers too. Who knows? But I believe she is an "old" soul so no telling what's behind it all. I guess she could be obsessed about worse things right?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #31
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
It is, maybe ill get to pigeon forge too. What was your experinace like when you wen there?
Well they try and make it realistic. They give you a card and you are then "one of the passengers" The card has their specific history on it and what they were like at the time. I think i was some sort of maid to a rich family, if i remember correctly, then you go through and see a bunch of dinnerware and clothes and suitcases and all sorts of things from the ship.

At the end you find out if you lived or died.

I died...i think.

It was so very sad BUT a great experience and very fascinating.
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #32
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGG View Post
Wow Gaea my 8yr old neice has a strange obsession with it too. She kind of wore me out this weekend with it. We had to watch 2 movies that were airing on tv yesterday and I bought her a book at the mall when we were out yesterday, about the titanic. She just had to have it.
She has a strange obsession with Will Rogers too. Who knows? But I believe she is an "old" soul so no telling what's behind it all. I guess she could be obsessed about worse things right?
yes there could be a lot worse things in life. it's good she has an interest in something historical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbelle View Post
Well they try and make it realistic. They give you a card and you are then "one of the passengers" The card has their specific history on it and what they were like at the time. I think i was some sort of maid to a rich family, if i remember correctly, then you go through and see a bunch of dinnerware and clothes and suitcases and all sorts of things from the ship.

At the end you find out if you lived or died.

I died...i think.

It was so very sad BUT a great experience and very fascinating.
that sounds like a rather amazing experience. now one I hope to have myself.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #33
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,239 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

before you enter the museum, they offer a radio type deal, ... rent. some exhibits tell a story about the things (like, a life jacket from the titanic) found in the titanic. rent the radio, you'll enjoy more so with it.

the same niece i went with to the museum, she did a storyboard for school about the titanic. there seems to be a big interest with young girls.
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #34
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Gaea, I think you and I are long lost relatives. I have always had a fascination with everything Titanic. I have had nightmares involving water but learned how to swim at a very early age so I am not scared of water.

I once had someone do a past life reading on me and everything she touched on is something that I am fascinated with. Titanic, Japanese culture related to the time period of the Geisha etc.

So, perhaps my intrigue is based on memory. It is hard to say. It could be that the last moments of Titanic, the last time Titanic and many of those aboard saw life happened on my birthday (although 61 years prior).

Whatever the reason, that connection does seem to exist.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #35
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,239 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

this might be of interest to you all. i think it is this video that talks about connections.

http://www.pbs.org/special/titanic-1...r-anniversary/
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #36
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneyDoll View Post
Gaea, I think you and I are long lost relatives. I have always had a fascination with everything Titanic. I have had nightmares involving water but learned how to swim at a very early age so I am not scared of water.

I once had someone do a past life reading on me and everything she touched on is something that I am fascinated with. Titanic, Japanese culture related to the time period of the Geisha etc.

So, perhaps my intrigue is based on memory. It is hard to say. It could be that the last moments of Titanic, the last time Titanic and many of those aboard saw life happened on my birthday (although 61 years prior).

Whatever the reason, that connection does seem to exist.

Reading this gave me chills. Ive never met anyone else who suffers water based nightmares..

I too believe in the "soul" memories

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaea For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 07:34 AM   #37
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

Relieved? How so? That seems an odd comment.

I too have had a fascination with all things Titanic. I guess all tragedies have some sort of fascination...why this is, I can't say, but it's true. Something about the horrificness of such disasters that seem to fascinate - like watching a building that's on fire - it's perverse, but we can't seem to help it.

Every April 15, I say a small prayer for all those lost souls of The Titanic. My heart hurts when I think of that tragedy. I imagine myself amongst those still on the ship while it was going down, but nothing I can ever imagine can ever come close to the reality. I esp think about the children, and how terrified they must've been. More then 1500 souls lost their lives that horrible night. May they all rest in peace. Stories like the sinking of Titanic has struck fear in my heart, and keeps me from ever going on a cruise, or boats going out in deep water.

Quote:
I am so glad there is another..here at least we are about to celebrate 100 years...

Im saddened by this event and yet somehow relieved by it at the same time.

The is an organ of fire.
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #38
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
Relieved? How so? That seems an odd comment.

I too have had a fascination with all things Titanic. I guess all tragedies have some sort of fascination...why this is, I can't say, but it's true. Something about the horrificness of such disasters that seem to fascinate - like watching a building that's on fire - it's perverse, but we can't seem to help it.

Every April 15, I say a small prayer for all those lost souls of The Titanic. My heart hurts when I think of that tragedy. I imagine myself amongst those still on the ship while it was going down, but nothing I can ever imagine can ever come close to the reality. I esp think about the children, and how terrified they must've been. More then 1500 souls lost their lives that horrible night. May they all rest in peace. Stories like the sinking of Titanic has struck fear in my heart, and keeps me from ever going on a cruise, or boats going out in deep water.
I cant explain the feeling of relief or even why I had that feeling, i am not even sure from where it came just that it was there.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #39
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Ive never met anyone else who suffers water based nightmares..

I too believe in the "soul" memories
I
I'm no expert on dreams but I'm pretty sure that water-related dreams and nightmares are relatively common and that has been the case long before The Titanic was ever thought of (think of Shakespeare's The Tempest for references to water-related dreams).

I experience water-related nightmares regularly but these are tsunami / wall of water related, sometimes terrifying and totally unrelated to The Titanic in anyway.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote