Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 08-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Reader
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Dyke, Feminist, Contrarian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,229 Times in 586 Posts
Reader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST Reputation
Default Is revenge OK?

I am not trying to start a war. I think about things a lot. I have been puzzling over the concept of revenge for about a month or so and I am looking for some thoughtful input on the issue.

In a nutshell: Is revenge OK? If not, why? If so, why?

NOTE: I am not interested in a heated emotional smack-down, but rather a calm and thoughtful debate with a respectful exchange of ideas and rational analysis, if possible.

This has been on my mind of late because of a spiritual discussion I was having with someone in RL.

If anyone knows of a board that is better suited for this sort of post, please PM me. I would love to find such a board for this sort of thing.
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:41 PM   #2
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
I am not trying to start a war. I think about things a lot. I have been puzzling over the concept of revenge for about a month or so and I am looking for some thoughtful input on the issue.

NOTE: I am not interested in a heated emotional smack-down, but rather a calm and thoughtful debate with a respectful exchange of ideas and rational analysis, if possible.

This has been on my mind of late because of a spiritual discussion I was having with someone in RL.

If anyone knows of a board that is better suited for this sort of post, please PM me. I would love to find such a board for this sort of thing.
Well there's one thing I am certain about: revenge and justice are two totally separate things.
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post

To me revenge ends being an extreme response to something and one that generally bounces back against someone. While in the heat of the moment, the act and result may be desirable the long term is, to me, more destructive and more harmful.

When my mom was killed in 1992, I thought that revenge might be a nice option (amongst other negative thoughts) but rather than that, revenge of living my own life to fullest and striving beyond what was expected of me (that is, striving for my own success rather than someone else's demise) proved to be both beneficial for soul and my own sense of justice. So to me revenge against someone (an action or word against them) really isn't ever a good idea.

Revenge by being successful and rising above a battle, to me, however, is a perfect response.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

When I was young, I always thought revenge would be sweet when someone had wronged me. I never acted on it, as I kept hearing my Mom's damned sweet voice in my ear.....

Now that I'm older, I find that revenge isn't necessary at all.....what goes around comes around. Every ill deed will come back to 'haunt' them in some form or fashion. And I just don't have the energy to make a plan, first of all; and second, I'm SO not giving them my power. Because if I try to get even, that's exactly what will have happened.

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
msW8ing

How Do You Identify?:
multi-faceted gem, femme, submissive babygirl if the chemistry is there.
Preferred Pronoun?:
lady
Relationship Status:
working on myself

Thanked 2,498 Times in 655 Posts
msW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST Reputation

*snipped*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Revenge by being successful and rising above a battle, to me, however, is a perfect response.
Very well said Linus and I so agree with you and with Diva when she stated NOT giving them the power. Revenge in any form takes alot of energy..whether we feel it's the right thing to do..and eye for and eye and a tooth for a tooth kind of thing..but that is raw emotions..me personally I believe it takes a lot more strength and courage to NOT act upon those raw emotions..but rather to live a full/happy, loving life and let Kharma do it's job..because eventually what comes around goes around. I've witnessed that for myself. Just today as a matter of fact..my faith in Kharma and the Universe was restored.

A lady who knows the ropes..will never be bound. ~Mae West
msW8ing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to msW8ing For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 12:32 AM   #6
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Revenge,once I wanted to give someone a huge dose of it,I never did.I may well get mad moan and groan for a bit,but in reality its just not in my make up to get revenge on anyone.This person who wronged me got a huge dose of bad flash back karma with a big dish of humble pie wich she choked on for a year or two because when it karma bites someone one the a$$ for doing such wrong to another or group of people, getting over it isnt easy.This person thought she had quite a following in the horse training buisness that when the bottom fell out of it all that she wouldnt have any problem of just contenueing things as they were, only somewhere else,well that didnt happen not by any stretch of the imagination.Now if someone messes with my family, all bets are off because I will use every leagle means to defend my family..I dont know anyone who wouldnt defend there loved ones.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #7
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

depends on the revenge, I think. The last time I was raped, I was given the opportunity to get some back by giving the dickhead a large piece of overly strong space cake I made. I had told his girlfriend what happened and she was going to dump him right away but we came up with a plan... I'd give her the cake she'd leave it in the fridge (he always ate her sweets, so he'd chow it) she'd then kick him out just before it set in. And this stuff was brain stomping. Most people couldn't tie their shoes after a piece 1/3 the size.

I thought 4 hours of stoned mental anguish and 4 hours of paralysis was better than getting someone from the docs to knee cap him so it was all set to go when my then boyfriend threw a fit about me doing it so I asked for the cake back and it never happened. Still regret I didn't do it.

If someone grabs me sexually, I will slap them/hit them, fullstop. No one ever touches me like that again without my permission - and it's time people fucking thought about what their hands are doing.

I absolutely do not believe in things like death penalties or stalking or things on those level type revenge.
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 05:02 AM   #8
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

In my younger days I would think "I wish this would happen, or that would befall this/or that bastard" for doing me wrong. But I never thought to take that revenge myself.

When I had a child, I thought what I would do if anyone ever harmed him. In that case I had revenge and an escape plan thoroughly thought out. Because ultimately it would end in someone's death. Thankfully that plan never had to be put into effect. But I would definetly have avenged my child. Even now that he is nearing adulthood, I would still take revenge on certain actions.

As to other forms of revenge, I believe in karma. While it's very hard and often frustrating to sit back and wait for it. I have to have faith that those I percieve as having done me wrong, will some day get their due. I don't turn to revenge because I feel darkened by it when I have thought it about someone. I also believe that what we put out there comes back to us ten-fold.....I can be a twisted evil fuck....I sure don't want that coming back to ME tenfold. LOL

A
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 05:53 AM   #9
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

In my younger angrier days I did seek revenge at times, not in horrible ways but in ways I am not proud of.. now the older, calmer version of me does not seek revenge, and honestly no one in my past deserves it.

In severe cases there is no revenge that would justify the crime... not any that I could invoke, life has a way though. What goes around does come around, and that goes for the bad and the good.
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 06:08 AM   #10
ruffryder

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
guy ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 9,678 Times in 2,875 Posts
ruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputation

no. that's why there is karma. God will take care of the acts of life.
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ruffryder For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 06:58 AM   #11
Abigail Crabby

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Princess
Relationship Status:
Single, but sociable

Thanked 9,667 Times in 2,484 Posts
Abigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST Reputation

I was a grudge holder - I held my grudges hard and fast to my chest and they ate away at me.

Until one day I stumbled upon a saying and a lil light bulb went off over my head.

Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.

I leave it to Karma now and my life is more bountiful and peaceful. So no, I don't seek revenge - it's like holding that grudge - in the long run it will come back twicefold on me. Personally I find it best to let go and Let God

Turns whatever happens to you into a positive...
Abigail Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Abigail Crabby For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #12
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Revenge is a waste of time and energy. The best revenge is to move on with your life and be happy. Those that do things that might elicit a revenge-type response usually find themselves living a personal-hell type life anyway. Engaging yourself in that muck will only drag you into that drama.

"Revenge is often like biting a dog because the dog bit you. "

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 07:24 AM   #13
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

There is no point in revenge. Anyone with bad intentions eventually pays for it, it's Universal Law (karma). In my experience even thinking with bad intentions reaps bad karma so it's easier to forgive and make your life and yourself lighter, let the other person hold on to the dense darkness. If you seek revenge your bad intentions will come back to haunt you. It's fucking hard especially when someone does you super wrong but they eventually put themselves into a hole that they need to get out of. Some times people that do "bad things" are our teachers and at the same time they are also learning a lesson. Holding on to grudges is so bad for they body physically and the mind. Let it go, try to forgive and love as much as possible. Hate consumes you, sometimes even more so than the other person.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #14
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

I believe in universal law. What goes around comes around. Therefore revenge will only cause something negative to occur in your life. I believe universal law can not be thwarted. Therefore no need to wish something bad on someone else. The universe with all its resourses, will exact its punishment. Every action strikes a cord in eternity. Yours and theirs. My motto is kill them with kindness. Forgive those who have offended you, and when you offend, then you will be forgiven. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #15
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Is casting a spell..... say a skin burning rash spell in the armpit (and other areas) of a certain immigration officer an act of revenge?
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #16
Daktari

A wise person once told me: Living well is the best revenge.
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

Success is the best revenge!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:13 AM   #18
PinkieLee

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
I need ya boo, gotta see ya boo

Thanked 13,087 Times in 3,051 Posts
PinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST Reputation

My mother always said.... "the best revenge, is a life well spent"
PinkieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to PinkieLee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 AM   #19
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,732 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

Never has the world needed love and forgiveness so much as now. But I also must uphold the ideals of my beloved country and family. If an aggressor ever came here to destroy my family or this country and America needed my help to defend her and retaliate, I would give it- for the love of the people, and to defend the nation on whose land I live. We should do our part to help protect America if you live here, and all those we love in our homes, but at the same time, we must not allow ourselves to be filled with revenge and hatred. A defense plan is good right now, but it will not bring ultimate peace.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #20
Ebon

How Do You Identify?:
With my souls eyes.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
lol

Thanked 11,145 Times in 2,755 Posts
Ebon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST ReputationEbon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorninthesofa View Post
Never has the world needed love and forgiveness so much as now. But I also must uphold the ideals of my beloved country and family. If an aggressor ever came here to destroy my family or this country and America needed my help to defend her and retaliate, I would give it- for the love of the people, and to defend the nation on whose land I live. We should do our part to help protect America if you live here, and all those we love in our homes, but at the same time, we must not allow ourselves to be filled with revenge and hatred. A defense plan is good right now, but it will not bring ultimate peace.
If anyone came to "destroy" or "take over" America it would be karma.

I'm a Soul Rebel

http://wannabereverend.wordpress.com/

Spirituality is not a belief system or ideology, it is the surrender of one's ego to the infinite wisdom and knowledge that is the universe.
Ebon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ebon For This Useful Post:

Tags
debate, revenge