Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 08-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
G Snap!

How Do You Identify?:
gay. I'm very happy, thank you!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss
Relationship Status:
Chefhmboyrd's seeing eye blonde

Thanked 1,109 Times in 229 Posts
G Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST ReputationG Snap! Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Logistics and Saturdays

Lately I have been noticing companies like UPS have reduced their services.

For example, @ ordered a text book he needed thursday afternoon from amazon. He requested overnight delivery because he really needed it friday. Since he used my amazon account, I got the email stating the expected delivery date was monday. Knowing his need, I look at their shipping policies and such, and it states (I do not quote directly) that just because you request (and pay) for overnight delivery, it may not get delivered overnight. Apparently UPs no longer delivers on saturdays, and the last few things I have mail ordered show no movement in transit over the weekend.

I tell @ this and we talk about it a little. The company he works for warehouses parts for another company (and also trucks daily orders) and since the other company pays for it, they dictate how items are shipped, and want @'s company to use UPS because they are cheapest. When they need to expedite something, @'s people relied on UPS to come get the package. If they had several rush orders in one day, they relied on UPS to be there to get each rush item, even if it meant the brown truck had to drive over several times in one day.
Lately UPS changed their policy, and will only drive to their facility once per day to pick up, and if there are any pick-ups needed after that they are SOL and have to drive it to the rearest UpS shipping facility. By the way, it does not cost any more to have them come get it, nor any less if you bring it there.
So now @ has to send an employee off sight every time their customer needs something rushed. That means loosing the work of an employee for the travel time and the expense of travel to and from (which I am waiting to hear has become an issue because the employee uses their own vehicle for it.)

In a nutshell, apparently UPS is no longer about customer service and has cut a few corners. One pickup per location may not hurt many, but not moving parcels or doing anything on saturdays for that matter is a big deal.

Has anyone else noticed shipping companies cutting corners and reducing services? Does anyone know of or has heard any announcements UpS has made regarding cutbacks?
G Snap! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to G Snap! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #2
ruffryder

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
guy ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 9,678 Times in 2,875 Posts
ruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputation

I 've noticed this for some time. The USPS is in jeopardy because of all the options of shipping and making internet mailing so accessible and easy. As for shipping, when I order something I always just do basic ground cheap and free and notice it gets here in less than a week anyway and sometimes just a couple days.

Apparently now companies won't pay for shipping if you want to return something too . .
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Zimmeh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Me
Relationship Status:
I am a human and not a possession

Thanked 13,441 Times in 4,316 Posts
Zimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST ReputationZimmeh Has the BEST Reputation

I bought a dress for the Reunion and after paying almost $13 in shipping charges to have it delivered to my house; I had to pay almost another $9 to ship the dress back from the XYZ company. So for a a dress that cost me $49; it cost me almost half of that amount to ship it. So I ended up paying almost $70 for this dress. Good thing, I love the dress or I would have had the money refunded to me.

Zimmeh
The Following User Says Thank You to Zimmeh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Yes.

I order supplies for patients to be shipped overnight a lot. Sometimes it is imperative that the supplies get to the patient the next day, such as IV supplies.

My company has stopped using UPS for the very reason you state...they do not guarantee actual overnight and they don't deliver on Saturdays anymore.

We now ship with Fed X only. They are more expensive, but they are also more reliable and they DO deliver on Saturdays.

Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,893 Times in 5,771 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Snap! View Post
Has anyone else noticed shipping companies cutting corners and reducing services? Does anyone know of or has heard any announcements UpS has made regarding cutbacks?
I knew someone about 3 years ago who worked for UPS. He had been there for about 15 years. He spoke of cut backs and the amount of pressure put on the drivers that were left. They only had so much time to deliver so many packages. They were timed from stop to stop. He said it was overwhelming and they were quick to cut you if you fell back or made any mistakes. He was hoping to just hang in their for another 5 years so he could get some sort of pension before moving on to a different job.

I believe he said that it was a function of the post office beginning to pick up packages and this was cheaper for companies. However, I also think there were less residential packages to deliver due to the economy and people spending less. Again, this was about 3 years ago when I knew this person.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,688 Times in 7,716 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Gas prices have also played a huge part of cutbacks for UPS! and other companies.
Even food delivery places have begun to add on a "delivery fee" of $2.00, with a disclaimer this is in no way part of the delivery person's tip.
Take one of those famous pizza delivery places...running a special of "any pie, any number of toppings, any size" just $10...
extra cheese $2
delivery fee $2
taxes an add'l $1-$2
driver's tip $2- $3
that $10 "special" now has cost you almost $20......IF you go and get the pie yourself, it will cost you about $12 to $14.....plus your cost of the gas to get said pie....
Old 08-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

I dont know about other parts of the country but I dont remember UPS ever delivering on Saturdays here.

Have noticed stuff sitting untouched if it hits the system close to a weekend. Thus, I try to order early in the week and usually get the package within a couple of days. Ordering later in the week seems to guarantee it will take a week or so.

Did send something via UPS recently and would never do so again. It was incredibly expensive and took about 10 days to arrive. Plus, I had to provide a photo id at the drop off which was scanned into the system.

I also noticed, for some reason, that some packages are delivered via UPS to the local USPS for final delivery. Not being a logistics person that doesnt make sense to me but I am sure there is a reason for it.

Seems to me it is cheaper and more reliable to use the USPS "if it fits it ships" boxes. Plus the boxes are free and the postmen here carry them in their trucks.

Overnight mail via the USPS isnt guaranteed to arrive overnight either I discovered.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
weatherboi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Owned boy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey boy!!!
Relationship Status:
counting freckles slowly under Her direction!!!

Thanked 12,559 Times in 2,993 Posts
weatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputationweatherboi Has the BEST Reputation

My company uses RnL carriers for all of our product shipping needs. We manufacture our own products, many of them are liquids that are all shipped in 5 gallon buckets or larger. We have changed all of our ordering policies to accommodate RnL's needs. We can no longer receive anything on Saturdays and around holidays so we have to plan our ordering more strategically. They also increased their shipping costs by one percent.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Not in a company but...
When ordering off the net I try to select USPS and they use Fed Ex as their ground shipping source. I tend not to order next day as it's so damned expensive to do so with stuff that has any kind of weight.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)

Last edited by Corkey; 08-19-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post: